PDA

View Full Version : First Time: Should we go to the Pride Festival

CherryBlossom74
May 17, 2006, 3:17 AM
Ok, since my last thread was such a big hit, here's the topic of the next one for you.

The Long Beach Pride Festival is just around the corner, in fact it's only days away here in California on May 20, 21. After having read about the general reception Bi's receive at these events, as well as the fact that we are recent add ons to the whole GLBT theme and therefore have a low showing at events...

We want to know: should we go?

Has anyone gone and faced ridicule from the Gay and Lesbian showing there?

What can we expect to see there? We've never been to one before as we've been out for only 14 months. (Sounds like a confession at an AA meeting. LOL!)

Will anyone from the boards be going this Sunday to see the parade? Can we expect to see anyone else Bisexual? Are the showings there strong? Will we feel out of place? This last I know is hard to answer for anyone, but if they felt out of place please share.

We couldn't find any announcements about a Bi-Pride area or anything along those lines being present to show our presence, or a flag anywhere for us to rally round. Does anyone know if that will be there?

Our fears are that we will be somehow spotted and ousted there, and in my case if it gets back to my employer my job is lost. Are there photographers there taking candid shots?

Sorry if I sound like a nervous Nelly, but I have to ask or go there pale as a ghost and shivering with worry for myself and Adrienne. Our families will NEVER accept us as we really are, nor will my employer. We want to feel united in some way to others like us, but aren't up to getting berated.

arana
May 17, 2006, 3:41 AM
Our fears are that we will be somehow spotted and ousted there, and in my case if it gets back to my employer my job is lost. Are there photographers there taking candid shots?

If this is a big concern to you, I'd say don't go. An event like this without some new's media and amateur photographers would almost be unheard of.

JohnnyV
May 17, 2006, 3:51 AM
I'd have to echo Arana's point. When I go to gay pride festivals with my wife, people do snicker and sneer. In my case, I don't give a s-----. At the last one we went to, there was a band playing, and I hoisted my wife on my shoulders so she could clap and cheer like a drunken sorority sister. We looked fatally straight, and all the gay guys scoffed. I said to myself, they're just jealous cause they can't hoist their lovers on their shoulders..... BUT if it stresses you out to be targeted like that, especially with your girlfriend, AND if you are worried about pictures being taken, then find some unity in other ways. Pride events aren't that political anyway. Most of the men at them are there showing off their gym bodies and trying to get laid.

J

grizzle45
May 17, 2006, 8:47 AM
I've been wondering about the Pride Fest here in my hometown. I never go because I don't find it fun or particularly rewarding. I'm not sure what I expect to find there, but I never seem to find it. For those of you who go to your Pride Fests, what do you find there that brings you back? What events or activities do you enjoy? Is it the festival itself or the people? If you went alone and didn't know anyone there, do you think you find it fullfilling?

canuckotter
May 17, 2006, 5:41 PM
Pride events aren't that political anyway. Most of the men at them are there showing off their gym bodies and trying to get laid.

This is definitely my experience... People are there to basically be there and have a good time. It's not a political thing at all any more.... Even most of the anti-gay protesters have stopped showing up around here. :)

And yeah... There are generally a lot of cameras. If that's a worry, you might be better off finding something else to do... :(

Lorcan
May 17, 2006, 9:22 PM
I went to a BIG pride parade once. It was the first march on Washington.. There were thousands upon thousands of gay people there. And at least a hundred of bisexuals in the Bisexual group in the parade. (God! the pride parades around here pale in conparasin) I got to wear my BI PRIDE shirt in the open. We took over the whole town.

I like going to pride parades because i can wear my gender-benderness with pride. And i like seeing other people like me.

But if it stesses you out so much, maybe you shouldn't go. But you know...
they can take pictures, but they can't prove that you're not a sympathizing straight person if i don't wear a bi tee-shirt. Maybe you could just go out to eat with your partner at a restaurant somewhere near by. ;) Look out the window.

DÆMØN
May 19, 2006, 4:39 PM
Incidentally, I know, I know y'all prolly allready heard...but anyways humour me :tongue:

Toronto is gona be the Queerest place on Earth from June 15th - 18th, 2006 for 9th International Conference on Bisexuality , and again from June 19-25, 2006 for Toronto Pride "FEARLESS" week

CherryBlossom74
May 21, 2006, 4:15 AM
Ahem, well...now that Daemon's announcement sort of took center stage and all...

We've decided to go and see what we find there. We aren't looking for lovers, only friends there, so we hope some of the people from this site that live nearby are going too.

Hope to see you there! :bipride:

Gemini25
May 21, 2006, 1:21 PM
I'm so glad you decided to go to the festival. I'm also sorry I read this posting too late. I've gone to the Long Beach Pride festival a few times in the past, and like JohnnyV said, it's a lot of gym bodies, leather people, basically there showing off and trying to get laid. Although it's a lot of fun. I was surprised and excited the last time I went there was a booth that had BI information, and in a strange way it was comforting to me that there are other people out there like myself. I was very scared and nervouse myself going to my first pride festival, but once I got there and there were soo many people, you have a couple beers and relax and have fun. At least for me that's what happened and by the end of the day I didn't care if people saw me there. I was having fun with my friends enjoying the day. Another resource you might try is the gay and lesbian center. I know they have all kind of information about different things going on around the community for the each social group. I wish I still lived down there so I could have met you and gone and had fun with you. Maybe next year. Hope you had a fun day.

Michael :bibounce: :yinyang:

DÆMØN
May 21, 2006, 3:05 PM
Golly Gosh gee wilkers ! Y'all sound so scared of other peoples opinions. Firstly who's living your life; you or them? Life is only so long... when you're nearing 40 perspective has a funny way of catching up to you; but it sure helps one to reailze that making a go of life to the fullest is probably the best thing you can do. YOU DESERVE TO ENJOY LIVING !

... and anyways the 9ICB is at Ryerson University... not exactly IN the Gay Village of Church Street. Toronto. It also is a whole week BEFORE Pride week, there isn't any obvious overlap. The luck being the two events are very close and withthe acronym of GLBT... being an indicator we're all Queer.

I'll hazard to guess some of you are still "newish" to the Bi lifestyles. Get comfortable in your skins. Have fun, exercise common sense. :bigrin:

Gemini25
May 21, 2006, 6:13 PM
[QUOTE=DÆMØN]Golly Gosh gee wilkers ! Y'all sound so scared of other peoples opinions. Firstly who's living your life; you or them? Life is only so long... when you're nearing 40 perspective has a funny way of catching up to you; but it sure helps one to reailze that making a go of life to the fullest is probably the best thing you can do. YOU DESERVE TO ENJOY LIVING !

Hey Daemon, it not right to make light of peoples fears. It takes some people more time then others to become comfortable in who and what they. It took me quite a while to get to the point where I'm at. So instead of making fun, we should help our fellow "Newbies" (if that's even the right word) with whatever questions and concerns they may have. Because their fears and concerns are very valid to them. I used to be a very scared person too. I've been able to get to the point where I don't care what people think, but that's me. Everyone is different. I know people that couldn't deal with who they really are until being almost 50 years old and going through failing marriages losing custody of their kids, you name it. It's really sad it had to take them that long to be happy with themselves.
Otherwise I agree with your other postings that I've come across so far.
Michael :bibounce:

CherryBlossom74
May 21, 2006, 8:37 PM
Hello folks! We went and had a pretty good time! No one said a thing to us, saw only three other Bi's there and no Bi Resource stuff there. So yeah, we felt under-represented to the max. They had some interesting booths, even got some tank tops because the weather was cloudy but 73 Degrees F! I got a little too much sun on my face, the hot guy at the Utilikilt stand checked me out when I wasn't looking, Adrienne told me about it. He assumed I was straight I guess. ROFLMAO!

Then we found this awesome booth run by a bi-girl named Tasha! I suggest for all you busty girls you look this place up "Titty Tops (http://www.tittytops.com) " because the shirts are cool and the saying are hilarious! Adrienne got a tight number that said "BUSTED" all stretched out on the front. One cute lesbian commented on her as we past on the way back to the car "Holy fucking shit, look at those TITS!"

We were so put at ease I was extremely happy. What made me happiest was NO CAMERAS! They were checking at the gates to block them for privacy issues.

There was an awesome dance show, men and men dancing ballroom style to wonderful music. I was enchanted and had to stop and watch. We got up to leave only to turn around and head back because they were playing latin music, the pause was only to change outfits to a latin style.

The booth where I got my my tank tops sold thongs too, which the gay guy was so unhappy he didn't have my size in. The material was awesome and soft, unlike anything I'd felt so far. All he had were the display ones...bummer.

The best part was no one said a negative thing. Not ONE. They saw us walking hand in hand and they didn't comment, their eyes showed their interest if there was any. But essentially we felt acceptance all around.

We can't wait for another one of these to come around.

Oh and for those of you who may go to this one next time it rolls in...bring a lunch. $7 for a Gyro is like going to a Renaissance Faire for food. It's not sensible. SO pack a lunch!

JohnnyV
May 22, 2006, 12:05 AM
SOunds like you had a great time. Glad to hear about it!

J