PDA

View Full Version : You know it's gonna be a bad day when....

12voltman59
Jul 21, 2011, 2:31 AM
You know it's gonna be a bad day when you find a big hole under your bed: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/sinking-feeling-woman-finds-giant-sinkhole-under-her-203620309.html

Long Duck Dong
Jul 21, 2011, 6:42 AM
holy hole under the bed 12 volt...lol

stick a toilet over it and it would double as a long drop ..lol....

Realist
Jul 21, 2011, 8:28 AM
Florida is also notorious for sink holes. As the population increased and more and more water was taken from the aquifer, various sizes of sink holes were created all over the state...mostly central Florida.

You're right, Volty, that could be the start of a very bad day!

Hephaestion
Jul 21, 2011, 8:36 AM
You know it's gonna be a bad day when you find a big hole under your bed: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/sinking-feeling-woman-finds-giant-sinkhole-under-her-203620309.html

Very neat looking edges on the hole shown - perthaps post processed?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 21, 2011, 1:59 PM
Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. The hole is too well rounded. It looks like someone just used an Auger and drilled upwards; they are too neat and simetrical. Looks like good photoshopping. Either that, or its an Awful big earthworm....LOL
Silly Cat

welickit
Jul 21, 2011, 3:04 PM
It looks like a man made shallow well. The dimensions are right and so are the pictures. I wonder if the house might have been built over an old abandoned well and it finally caved in.

I have seen quite a few sink holes here in Florida and shallow wells up in New England, Europe and Asia.

One thing is for certain, if you jump out of bed and miss the floor it is a bad day.

12voltman59
Jul 21, 2011, 5:19 PM
I remember it was like around 1980 or so in Winter Park which is near Orlando--they had a sinkhole open up that took out several shops, some sidewalk, part of a parking area and part of an alley----we went to see it--it was all fenced off and was a really big area. I never did hear how they dealt with it---if they just left the hole and repaired the area around it or they filled it in and built back on top of the hole again or not.

I was thinking as some mentioned--that hole in this case did seem rather perfectly round--and do wonder if perhaps the house had been built on top of an old abandoned water well. So much of our modern world is built on top of old things of that nature.

I recently watched this show on some cable channel-Nat Geo I think it was---about all the hidden things buried under the city of Rome that we know today---they have found all kinds of cool Roman and other ruins right under the ruins we see and modern structures--in some cases they have had a wall cave in in someone's basement, they go inside the hole and find huge Roman ruins like temples complete with gorgeous frescoes that no one has laid eyes on in 500 years or more.

It is a whole other world under modern day Rome and the same thing goes for cities such as London and even New York. In Cincinnati--there is an entire subway system that was built that was never used--but yet the tunnels, tracks and stations are all still under the city.

I know its dangerous--but I think it kinda cool that some people are daring enough to go explore such places.