PDA

View Full Version : FINS.com article: Openly [GLBT] Workers Have Better Careers

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 19, 2011, 1:59 AM
http://www.fins.com/Finance/Articles/SB130151307052399191/Openly-Gay-Workers-Have-Better-Careers

By Julie Steinberg

Coming out of the closet can boost your career, according to new survey results from the Center for Work-Life Policy, a New York-based think tank.

About half of self-identifying lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees are open about their preferences at work, according to the survey of 2,800 LGBT finance workers conducted by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, director of the Center for Work-Life Policy. Only a third of those who are not out are satisfied with the rate of advancement in their careers, compared with the almost-two thirds of those who are out who said they are satisfied.

The survey results were unveiled at the inaugural Out on the Street LGBT Leadership Summit Wednesday in New York.

A panel about LGBT culture on Wall Street concluded that the finance industry is making strides on LGBT inclusion, but there's still a long way to go. One panel member, Mark Stephanz, a vice chairman in the global financial sponsors group at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said he chose to come out because "the amount of energy one expends on just hiding is incredible."

Sonelius Kendrick-Smith, a director in asset management at Deutsche Bank, said he was nervous about moving to the trading floor from his analyst position, but he got support from the head of fixed income who would stop by his desk from time to time. That "sent a message that I was a well-regarded employee," Kendrick-Smith said.

The panel generally agreed that employees in client-facing and front office positions have a tougher time coming out than their back-office counterparts, because there's more pressure generated from having to deal with more people everyday.

Once they come out, gay employees find that not all problems of workplace culture are solved. Innocent tasks become magnified -- going to the bathroom, for instance. Kendrick-Smith, and several members of the audience who raised their hands, said other men avoid them in the men's room.

"There's the assumption that every guy wants to check out another man," said Brian McNaught, the panel moderator.

Banks that don't create an environment conducive to being openly LGBT may suffer from brain drain, said Hewlett. Almost three-quarters of respondents who aren't out are more likely to leave the company within three years, according to the survey.

Walter Schubert, the first openly gay member of the New York Stock Exchange, said there's a moral imperative for gay senior executives to make themselves available to younger employees, both gay and straight, to answer questions.

The summit was convened by Deutsche Bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclays, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, and was hosted by Deutsche Bank's headquarters in New York.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 19, 2011, 3:26 AM
when I became known as a openly out bisexual when I was doing counselling and therapy work, I became more on demand.... and it got to the point that I had to start saying no to requests and stuff

this was in the days where the LGBT were only just really starting to make head way in NZ in terms of being seen as people, real people, not sexual predators and pervs....

in a way being open and out, helped me a lot, but yes, it caused issues when I treated people like people, and did not always push LGBT everything and always side with the LGBT.... and when the fight for the civil union came along, I was standing with the people that wanted the rights of civil union for all NZ'ers not just the LGBT

its the same when I was diagnosised with dysthimia and when I was assessed as being a asexual natured person.... I never hid it, but shared it with people and noticed once again, there was no real support or help for people like me, and a lot of people trying to sweep us under the carpet.... so the fights on again, to have people treated like people.....

its different in other places of the world.... but often its not being out as LGBT that makes a difference, its also the attitude of the LGBT person that can really stand out....... specially when we smile, laugh, joke and treat others in the way we want to be treated ourselves