PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing....

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
Theres a site out called Spokeo.com and it gives out information on whoever has a public listing. It has your personal info, phone number, credit score, amount of children you have ect. Not all of it is accurate, but its still a tad disturbing to me. It still has me married to the Ex and living in the home with him and his new wife. I DONT THINK SO! :mad::soapbox:

I'm not real happy about this, but according to them, all the info is of public record and if you own your home, you are listed. I personally think its an invasion of privacy!!!!! And I know my son or Ex didnt give them permission to take pictures of our property, either. Try it out and give me your opinion, Loves.
Cat

DuckiesDarling
Jul 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
I've seen Spokeo come up when I was checking to see if some emails were valid on another game I staffed, I didn't realize they had that info for anyone, it always asked if I wanted a "full report" then it would let me pay for it. Has it started putting all that there for free or is it still something people pay for to see?

cddm50
Jul 19, 2011, 12:21 AM
That site is so off base. I don't know where they THINK they are getting their info. That's one site you may not want to worry about or trust their reliability.

www.intelius.com has more accurate info but to see it you have to pay too. Or try www.zabasearch.com. There are others as well.

And now that most state and local government sites have public info and databases online and readily available you can drill down to see people's property tax info, and more. I looked back on my previous property I owned down south and was able to find out how many people bought and sold it, for how much, even who held the liens. My wife found out the details on our @ssh013 neighbor's court restraining order and how she was stalking someone she had a fight with. All public records.

Pics of your property? Thank Google Maps Street view... OH DETAILED property pics? Maybe your property survey (which likely includes pics) is posted with your public tax records.

A clever person can dig up a lot on the Internet without paying for anything if they know where to dig. I even found my first true love from college, where she lives, what she is doing...etc. Not that I would ever see her again, I'm not a stalker... And there is not much you can do about it either. These "higher end" pay-for-info sites just have all the right search engine parameters to mine all the public databases efficiently so you don't have to go and hunt the small tidbits down yourself.

Hate to say it but our lives are not so private anymore.

SMILE! :eek2: You're on the Internet! :disgust:

void()
Jul 19, 2011, 12:22 AM
Still appears to be pay to see.

DuckiesDarling
Jul 19, 2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Void, I checked myself just to see. They still have me under old married name that ceased on June 23rd when divorce was final and living at the address that burned on May 2nd. It appears to pull up google maps, so it's probably pulling from phone records.

As was pointed out, it's a sad fact that a lot of information is out there on the net but all we can do is be cautious in what we share and where. There are many sites out there where you can pay for a precise report on someone and that info is all gleaned from public information. Phone records, vital statistics, police reports especially arrest records. It's all out there and that's the problem with living in an information society. When is the last time you watched a newscast without one of the anchors prompting you to "like" there page or "follow me on twitter"?

Hephaestion
Jul 19, 2011, 5:36 AM
It's rubbish - apparently I am also known as Martin Breen

Beware mistaken identities Buttle for Tuttle - Brazil

biwmtrucker44
Jul 19, 2011, 8:39 AM
I loooked my self up on there it said I am female:confused:

swmnkdinthervr
Jul 19, 2011, 9:27 AM
The information was terribly inaccurate and had me listed in places I haven't lived for years or ever even visited!!! If you used that site to find me I would die of old age before you knocked on my door! :bigrin:

bullhead69
Jul 19, 2011, 9:52 AM
Hey, Cat. Looked myself up, many inaccuracies. It is somewhat disturbing.
Send e-mails to your representatives. Unfortunately, it's probably their site.

elian
Jul 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
There are other major services that provide this information online as well - half the "phone number search" sites on the internet point to another well-known information mining service. Typically the data they collect is all a matter of public record - birth cert, marriage certs, death certs, phone book records, tax records, mortgage filings/deeds, etc. All of it is already out there so it's not illegal for them to have it.

What people consider to be "private" really isn't anymore, in the last 40 years or so I don't think it ever was - just harder to get ahold of the information back them because you had to write to the county courthouse or physically visit..

Skip tracers use databases like this from paid services to perform their debt collection services - big business.

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
You can find most anything for free, specially if you ever had a court record such as traffic or criminal, financial lien. Sometimes it takes a while to do the digging, But I used to work repossessions and the internet became a valuable tool for me. Even used my own research to win a custody case many years ago.

_someone_
Jul 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
It lists me as still being with unidentified parents; however, my current residence has been my own for 4 years now.

Searching my actual full name on Google, it wasn't overly detailed. It doesn't hurt when there's other people with your own name. :tong: