PDA

View Full Version : Research study on Bisexual Women's Experiences - please participate!!

bi_women_study
Jul 12, 2011, 2:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a doctoral student in clinical psychology and am recruiting participants for my IRB-approved dissertation study on the experiences of bisexual women who are in exclusive romantic relationships (including marriages, civil unions and other partnerships). Please consider participating, if you or someone you know fits this description! Participation is via a secure online survey, is anonymous, and takes about 30 minutes, and participants can enter a survey to win one of three $25 gift cards. Here's the link; more information is below.

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/583968/Bisexual-Women-s-Experiences-of-Prejudice-and-Support

Cheers,

Liz Clark, M.A.

Hello!

My name is Elizabeth Clark and I am a doctoral student in clinical psychology at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. I am currently working on my dissertation under the supervision of Dr. Braden Berkey. My dissertation research seeks to increase our understanding of the experience of bisexual women who are in monogamous romantic relationships. Specifically, the study investigates bisexual women’s experiences of both stigma against and support for their bisexual identity, and explores possible links between experiences of stigma and mental health. Findings from this study will help mental health clinicians work with bisexual women in a more informed, culturally competent manner, and may also inform the development or improvement of policies and programs serving the bisexual community.

I am writing to ask you to participate in my dissertation research by responding to an online survey that can be accessed using the link below. As stated above, we are interested in the experiences of bisexual-identified adult women who are currently in a monogamous romantic relationship (including dating, marriages, civil unions, and other life partnerships). We are seeking a diverse group of respondents of varying race/ethnicity, level of education, socioeconomic status, and age. Everyone who takes the survey must be 18 years old or older. Please consider participating if you are eligible, and please feel free to forward this announcement to friends, loved ones, and colleagues who may be eligible.

If you choose to participate, no identifying information or names will be collected. Your name cannot be connected in any way to the responses you provide; responses are completely anonymous in this study. The researcher will store the data on a secure, encrypted computer drive. Only the researcher (Elizabeth Clark), advisor (Dr. Berkey), and a trained research assistant will have access to the data.

There is a minimal risk of discomfort or anxiety due to the nature of the questions asked; however, you are free stop participation in the research at any time.

By participating in this survey, you are helping researchers better understand the experiences of bisexual women in relationships. Additionally, by telling us about your experiences, you are helping add to the body of research about bisexuality as distinct from gay or lesbian identity. The more research there is on bisexual identity and experience, the more recognition bisexuality is likely to receive from the field of psychology and from the general public.

For the purposes of this study, the researcher asks that you or any respondent complete the study only one time. The total time commitment is approximately 30 minutes, and the entire survey is completed online. After you complete the survey, you will have the opportunity to provide your email address if you would like to be entered into a drawing for one of three $25 Amazon.com gift cards. If you provide your email address, it is not linked in any way to your responses, which will remain anonymous.

If you would like to participate, please click the following link:

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/583968/Bisexual-Women-s-Experiences-of-Prejudice-and-Support

If you have any further questions about the study, you may contact the researcher, Elizabeth Clark, by email at eac6200@ego.thechicagoschool.edu or you may contact the researcher’s advisor, Dr. Braden Berkey, at bberkey@thechicagoschool.edu or 312.467.2351.

If you have questions concerning your rights in this research study you may contact the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is concerned with the protection of subjects in research projects. You may reach the IRB office Monday-Friday by calling 312.467.2343 or writing: Institutional Review Board,The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 325 N. Wells, Chicago, Illinois, 60654.

Thank you!!

~ Elizabeth Clark, M.A.

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 12, 2011, 3:04 PM
I was able to complete your study. I appreciate the fact that it takes into account that being a bisexual woman isn't always "glamorous" or "the life of the party" thank you for bringing it to us and I wish you well on your dissertation. I am curious as to your findings.

bi_women_study
Jul 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks so much for participating! I'm glad you found it to be a positive experience - my hope is that this research will be affirming to bisexual women and will contribute to the psychology field's understanding of bisexuality. If you would like to receive a copy of findings when I have them, please send me an email at eac6200@ego.thechicagoschool.edu, and I will add you to the list I am keeping of folks who want to see the results.

Thanks again for your interest, and please encourage others you know who are eligible to complete the study too!!

Cheers,
Liz

Hephaestion
Jul 13, 2011, 4:56 AM
My friend was thrown out because she answered truthfully. Seems your survey cannot cope with other than broad and hard classifications.

There are Lies, damned lies, and statistics

lady_starlight
Jul 13, 2011, 8:49 AM
My friend was thrown out because she answered truthfully. Seems your survey cannot cope with other than broad and hard classifications.

There are Lies, damned lies, and statistics

what part did she get kicked out at? if it was right at the beginning, and she answered the questions as anything other than female, bisexual and in a monogamous relationship - well that's probably why she got kicked out, since the research is being collected on the experiences of bisexual women in monogamous relationships. Says so right in the intro.

hgf33
Jul 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Participated!!! I love these, I think we need more studies to make people understand. That being said, I don't think my answers were very useful... the survey seemed to be set up more for bisexuals who are 100% out.

Hephaestion
Jul 13, 2011, 5:29 PM
Exclusivity (repeat exclusivity) stated and uinderstood. Then why does this nonsense appear?

"......If you are in a relationship with more than one person, please answer based on the individual you consider your primary or most committed partner....."

1st page.

drugstore cowboy
Jul 14, 2011, 1:56 PM
Why are you only doing a study on bisexual women only? Why not include bisexual men or do a study about us?

Diva667
Jul 14, 2011, 3:53 PM
Why are you only doing a study on bisexual women only? Why not include bisexual men or do a study about us?

Because she is...

Why don't you do a study on Bisexual men?

RockGardener
Jul 14, 2011, 4:16 PM
I understand the parameters of this survey/study to be (female), (bisexual), (monogamous), yet I was kicked out of the survey. I suspected it was because I identified my partner as trans. I tried the survey again and identified her as female and was not kicked out. What does having a trans partner have to do with any part of the requirements? None of the questions were predicated on having a partner identify as the gender designated at birth.

drugstore cowboy
Jul 14, 2011, 5:03 PM
Because she is...

Why don't you do a study on Bisexual men?

Because I'm not a doctoral student in clinical psychology. :rolleyes:

Diva667
Jul 14, 2011, 7:35 PM
Because I'm not a doctoral student in clinical psychology. :rolleyes:

You're letting that stop you?

drugstore cowboy
Jul 14, 2011, 8:47 PM
You're letting that stop you?

As someone who has worked in academia before and who has friends who are research scientists, I know from personal experience that someone can hypothetically do all the studies in the world but if they don't have the credentials of at least a PhD. as well as a few published papers nobody will take them or their studies seriously at all.

Diva667
Jul 14, 2011, 9:15 PM
As someone who has worked in academia before and who has friends who are research scientists, I know from personal experience that someone can hypothetically do all the studies in the world but if they don't have the credentials of at least a PhD. as well as a few published papers nobody will take them or their studies seriously at all.

So? Get the credentials or get someone you know(since you work in academia) to do the study. Get a few of your friends together and have them fund a study with appropriate credentials. Hell, I am sure there are more than a few ways to do this.

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome.

Otherwise all you are doing is what?

tenni
Jul 14, 2011, 9:22 PM
Diva????
I'd ask what side of the bed that you got out of but I'm thinking that you have been up for a least a few hours....:bigrin:

Drugstore
She is a PHD candidate. I haven't looked at the survey but give her a chance. She has tried to control her variables by stating female(not male), bisexual (not hetero or gay), and monogamous (not poly).

Maybe, what she did not control was gender as far as transgendered partners and then whether they are sexual or asexual.

It would be a different study if she examined female bisexuals who are monogamous and in relationships with transgendered partners. It would be a different study if is she examined, female bisexuals, in a monogamous relationship claiming to be asexual. It would be a different study if she examined, male bisexuals, in a monogamous relationship with a transgendered partner who was asexual...and so on and so on.

Still, she has some controls on her study. I wish her well. I hope that she comes back after her dissertation or maybe before and lets us know what some of the preliminary results are.

RockGardener
Jul 14, 2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe, what she did not control was gender as far as transgendered partners

That's my point... It doesn't seem to be a stated parameter, but it disqualifies the person, so therefore it is.

tenni
Jul 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
That's my point... It doesn't seem to be a stated parameter, but it disqualifies the person, so therefore it is.

Well, I'm sure that Liz Clark can explains this better but transgendered was not a factor that she wished to have in her study just as she probably doesn't have asexual. Therefore, I'd guess that the variable options for gender are male/female and the variable that she is controlling is sexual beings and not asexual beings. The factors for transgender and asexual may create a different pool of subjects and require a different and future study. She has excluded those variables.

drugstore cowboy
Jul 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
So? Get the credentials or get someone you know(since you work in academia) to do the study. Get a few of your friends together and have them fund a study with appropriate credentials. Hell, I am sure there are more than a few ways to do this.

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome.

Otherwise all you are doing is what?

I've been out as a bisexual man for decades that's what I'm doing.

I wrote how I once worked in academia. I don't currently work there since I got tired of it.

You clearly don't know how academia or studies like this one work.

You need funding, grants, staff, and then just maybe if you can get and keep all of this you might get to do a study or even finish a study to completion. A lot of the time grants are just taken away without warning and the study ends and is never finished.

My friends who are in academia do not do any sort of research at all about human sexuality at all.

RockGardener
Jul 15, 2011, 12:16 AM
Tenni, you're not getting my point. I am (female), (bisexual), (monogamous). What does the gender identity of my partner have to do with the stated qualifications?

I look forward to hearing from the author of the study on this matter.

Diva667
Jul 15, 2011, 5:12 AM
I've been out as a bisexual man for decades that's what I'm doing.

I wrote how I once worked in academia. I don't currently work there since I got tired of it.

You clearly don't know how academia or studies like this one work.

You need funding, grants, staff, and then just maybe if you can get and keep all of this you might get to do a study or even finish a study to completion. A lot of the time grants are just taken away without warning and the study ends and is never finished.

My friends who are in academia do not do any sort of research at all about human sexuality at all.

Well then, go back to school for that degree. Or I dunno, maybe do something other than whine about how this study isn't about you.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 15, 2011, 5:32 AM
based around my own understanding of studies and sexuality research, the study is one that is looking at the nature of biphobia against women with women in a romantic setting.....

romantic would cover visible signs of intimacy such as kissing, hugging and holding hands in places and areas that are visible to the general public.....

the way the study is laid out, would indicate that the researcher is reviewing reactions and responses towards 2 ladies, more than a lady and a transgender person as there can be a big difference in the reactions towards the dual groups....

its a bit hard when both partners are bisexual and one is transgender.... but I can see how the reactions can be different and how they could cause the study data to become flawed as the reaction to rock and marie could be one of transphobia more than biphobia......

either way I would be interested to see the results....

Stardustwebcams
Jul 15, 2011, 8:17 AM
I was able to complete your study. I appreciate the fact that it takes into account that being a bisexual woman is not always glamorous or the life of the party thank you for bringing it to us and I wish you well on your dissertation. I am curious as to your findings.

ohmymy69
Jul 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
I did the survey, Most of the questions only barely related to my situation/scenario. Early in my relationship with my husband we became involved in the lifestyle...swingers if you like. After my divorce most of the people in this tiny town I live in didn't know how to treat me, the rest were my husbands friends...so almost all of my present friends are also in the lifestyle and are very accepting of my bisexuality!

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
I was able to complete your study. I appreciate the fact that it takes into account that being a bisexual woman is not always glamorous or the life of the party thank you for bringing it to us and I wish you well on your dissertation. I am curious as to your findings.

Do I hear an Echo??? Eeecchooooo Ecchhooooo echoooo

Hephaestion
Jul 15, 2011, 9:02 PM

The reported required membership of the 'Academic' club is truly a tragic situation. I have seen PhD's awarded to toadies and the such purely because they are connected while others far more deserving have been denied a title because their supervisors were out of favour with the powerful. Science and other arenas suffer because it is not what one knows but who one knows - still!

This is as true in the west as it is in the east.