PDA

View Full Version : Polyamory is wrong

niftyshellshock
Jun 27, 2011, 2:38 AM
Seriously, guys.

It's either multiamory or polyphilia.

But mixing Greek and Latin roots? That's just plain wrong.

Katja
Jun 27, 2011, 4:19 AM
Seriously, guys.

The prefix 'poly' is placed before words which originated in many other languages as well as words which orginated in English itself. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the meaning is clear.

Mixing more than one language to create a word is perfectly acceptable, and it is rather pedantic to suggest otherwise. It shows the ability of language to adapt and move on and become enriched.

Darkside2009
Jun 27, 2011, 4:42 AM
The English language itself is a mix of ingredients, including, Latin; Greek; German; French; Norse; Saxon etc. It is part of the rich fabric of our language, and continues to add new words to its lexicon, just as old words fall out of use or favour.

I personally hate the expression, grow the business, rather than increase or expand the business, unfortunately, it seems to be a trend to use it now.

I'm sure they do it just to annoy me.lol

softfruit
Jun 27, 2011, 4:43 AM
It's just an achingly weak joke, helped along by the way the second option sounds enough like 'polyfilla'

Pasadenacpl2
Jun 27, 2011, 9:36 AM
Seriously, guys.

I was all ready to defend polyamory..LOL. polyfillia sounds far too much like pedophilia and we already have idiots trying to connect the two.

I happen to think polyamory is great, when done right.

Pasa

tenni
Jun 27, 2011, 9:46 AM
polyfillia sounds like something that you do to fill cracks in walls..(Polyfil is a name brand here):bigrin::tong:

dickhand
Jun 27, 2011, 9:57 AM
Gee whiz , what's next ? The cyber ruler across the knuckles ?

shroderdog
Jun 27, 2011, 11:29 AM

I know people that would pay good money for that

Diva667
Jun 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
My answer to this is contained in Stephen Frye's video (http://youtu.be/J7E-aoXLZGY)

:bigrin:;):bigrin:

**Peg**
Jun 27, 2011, 1:03 PM
I know people that would pay good money for that

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would pay good money for that too.

signed: the cyber-ruler wielding, knuckle-smacking editor (retired, but not too tired to correct bad grammar).

thanks for the opening, dickhand, I've been wanting to do that for a long time and shroderdog, it's nothing personal: you're in good company here, lots of people make the same mistake(s). :bigrin:

Hephaestion
Jun 27, 2011, 1:16 PM
polyfillia sounds like something that you do to fill cracks in walls..(Polyfil is a name brand here):bigrin::tong:

In the UK it's "Polyfilla"

Care needed - an innocent might well find themselves redocorating instead of getting laid.

tenni
Jun 27, 2011, 1:35 PM
oh..you are correct Heph....polyfilla...we just shorten it from the brand name..or my mind does that.;)

shroderdog
Jun 27, 2011, 1:46 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would pay good money for that too.

signed: the cyber-ruler wielding, knuckle-smacking editor (retired, but not too tired to correct bad grammar).

thanks for the opening, dickhand, I've been wanting to do that for a long time and shroderdog, it's nothing personal: you're in good company here, lots of people make the same mistake(s). :bigrin:

oh good! youranother person I can send into apoplectic fits! There are not enough of you guys around!

Now how do you feel about capitalization?

:)

void()
Jun 27, 2011, 7:21 PM
void reads and then grumbles quietly.

"your another person I can send into apoplectic fits!"

It is you're for you are, as in the example below.

You are another person I can send into apoplectic fits!

This bit of knowledge I know due to these. Void holds up swollen knuckles, points at Peg's ruler.

niftyshellshock
Jun 28, 2011, 2:21 AM
It's just an achingly weak joke, helped along by the way the second option sounds enough like 'polyfilla'

u raff u ruse