PDA

View Full Version : Even in death, the bigotry continues

JohnnyV
May 10, 2006, 5:32 PM
Hey all,

Check out this article from our sister station, gay.com:

http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?2006/05/10/1

Unbelievable! I don't know what makes me angrier, the anti-gay bigots who use military funerals to rail against homosexuals, or the government officials who will only ban protestors from military funerals.

Why not stop these gay-haters from harrassing any of us anywhere?

J

Mimi
May 10, 2006, 5:41 PM
the protestors' actions sicken me greatly... but at least this measure is one small step in the big war.

i'm a little confused by the mention of ACLU's file -- are they saying that ACLU is against the federal measure? because that seems to go against the mission of the ACLU.

mimi

Driver 8
May 10, 2006, 6:05 PM
i'm a little confused by the mention of ACLU's file -- are they saying that ACLU is against the federal measure? because that seems to go against the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU has a long history of defending everyone's right to free speech - even the assholes.

There's a group of motorcyclists who counter the protests (http://www.patriotguard.org/) by, if the families wish, showing up with American flags to show support - countering free speech with more free speech.

JohnnyV
May 10, 2006, 7:58 PM
The ACLU is fulfilling its role as impartial defender of free speech.

In terms of the ban on protesting, what makes me angry is that they're only using federal force against the anti-gay agitators, out of deference to the soldiers. They allow the same hate groups to protest at the funerals of people killed by homophobes, or the Jewish ob-gyn who was killed by pro-life zealots.

J

JohnnyV
May 10, 2006, 8:00 PM
Add to the last post.... At other funeral venues, the protestors can act as they want without a space limit or minimum distance.

And the same goes for the motorcyclist flag-wavers. Would they come in full force to defend some random gay guy whose funeral drew fundamentalist rabblerousers?

J

jedinudist
May 10, 2006, 8:33 PM
Yet again, the "government" shows us just how valuable we are to them.

We are cattle in their eyes, folks.

That anyone, for any reason, would act such a way at a funeral is an abomination. And I am quite sure that there would be many in teh current "government" that would not be displeased at all should such terrible people show up at the funeral of a gay or bisexual person.

:disgust:

Driver 8
May 10, 2006, 8:49 PM
And I am quite sure that there would be many in teh current "government" that would not be displeased at all should such terrible people show up at the funeral of a gay or bisexual person.
Many would, certainly. But I remember when the same group announced their intention to picked at Matthew Shepherd's funeral - and the governor publicly denounced them for it.

jedinudist
May 11, 2006, 9:47 AM
Many would, certainly. But I remember when the same group announced their intention to picked at Matthew Shepherd's funeral - and the governor publicly denounced them for it.

I remember hearing something about that and feeling good that someone had the cajones to step forward to protect the friends and family of that poor guy.
I wish that was the norm rather than the exception.

JohnnyV
May 11, 2006, 9:50 AM
You know, the one good thing about these kinds of bigots is that they can never focus on one group for long enough to make any sense. Around where I live, the same groups who would protest against the gay pride parade also picket outside the abortion clinic in town, and also want to boycott Walmart for not using Christmas in their ads, and also stood with crosses along the funeral drive for a Jewish abortion doctor who was killed by prolife agitators.

Their attention deficit disorder makes them easier to dismiss.
J