PDA

View Full Version : blurring the gender stereotypes

Long Duck Dong
May 8, 2011, 6:33 AM
I was reading a article about blurring the gender lines.... and it raises a lot of questions about what happens when we blur the gender lines.....

Furore-in-US-over-boys-in-pink (http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/4976593/Furore-in-US-over-boys-in-pink)

having been around many many people over the years, in my role as a counsellor / therapist and in other aspects of my life..... and honestly, I have noticed that people that have been allowed to explore themselves in various aspects, are a lot more settled and at ease, than people in strict and rigid roles... and you can't judge a person by the underpants they wear or their nail polish.....

but it was a remark by Dr Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist and regular guest on Fox News, that really pissed me right off......

For Keith Ablow, blurring of gender roles could have momentous long-term consequences.

''It will be a very big deal if it turns out that neither gender is very comfortable any more nurturing children above all else,'' he wrote, ''and neither gender is motivated to protect the nation by marching into combat against other men and risking their lives.''

''Maybe we'll all have shiny, coloured lips, though, and pierced ears and perfect eyebrows.''

blurring the gender lines, is something we do already, with the ladies being the bread winner and the guy staying at home.... and for many familes, that works....

possibly the trend that is surfacing will continue, where your children grow up in a world where being different, is no longer a reason to ridicule and to get bullied, but become a trend setter in the way that the younger generation are starting to set the trend of seeing LGBT as one of the crowd of friends they have......

whatever the outcome... is it really gonna hurt the children to explore themselves and what they enjoy... or are we going to continue to *control * people by enforcing stereotypes such as gender roles and appearance.....

as for bullying ??? it can have a positive effect, cos its harder to bully those that are accepted by many, than it is to bully those on the outskirts of social acceptance......

maybe keith ablow wants to serve in the armed forces beside men that wear pink underpants and lesbians, like I have..... cos they are no fairies in a fire fight.... they are men and women that can hold their own with the best of the best.... and some of them serve in the SAS ( nz's elite soldiers ).....

Maggot
May 8, 2011, 10:52 AM
having been around many many people over the years, in my role as a counsellor / therapist and in other aspects of my life..... and honestly, I have noticed that people that have been allowed to explore themselves in various aspects, are a lot more settled and at ease, than people in strict and rigid roles... and you can't judge a person by the underpants they wear or their nail polish.....

Agree with you on this point - I have trend setting parents (aka people with strange ideas, according to various school teachers over the years).

Falke
May 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
''It will be a very big deal if it turns out that neither gender is very comfortable any more nurturing children above all else,'' he wrote, ''and neither gender is motivated to protect the nation by marching into combat against other men and risking their lives.''

I call bullshit from personal experience. While I do have a fem side and can have some andro leanings, I still would take up arms should the need arise.

transcendMental
May 8, 2011, 1:59 PM
This indicates basic ignorance of what it means to "blur the gender stereotypes".

It does not mean that we all become shades of gray in the middle, all of us neither masculine nor feminine, all wearing unisex clothes, too busy to raise children, but too wimpy to fight a war.

It means that we can each be who we really are, who we want to be. Some people simply are genuinely masculine, and want to be body-builders, athletes, rough, rugged, in-control, aggressive bread-winners. Some people simply are genuinely feminine, and enjoy being clothes/appearance-conscious, gentle, nurturing, passive, and taken care of. Most of us are in between. Changing stereotypes isn't going to change that fact about people.

Changing stereotypes just lessens the pressure to be like those people at the extremes, if that's not really what would make you happy. And giving people the freedom to be happy and to be themselves is nothing but good. :2cents:

tm