PDA

View Full Version : From homo life to a het relationship

fred fencesitter
Apr 27, 2011, 5:06 PM
I lived my life as a gay man for several years. Then,about two years ago, I decided to start dating women. Now I'm in a happy, monogamous relationship with a woman and I'm having the best - and most frequent -- sex of my life. This is wonderful, but I'm really going through some really weird feelings. Like I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing. I don't live in the communities where I spent my "gayest" years, but I still feel nervous about running into old friends (gay or straight) and trying to explain to them about my new relationship. How could I tell them in a way that doesn't seem hurtful?

Fortunately, my GF is fine with my sexual history. (It helps that I kept myself disease-free all those years). She doesn't want me to publicly identify as bi though -- for an interesting reason. She has a lot of gay male friends, who tend toward the slutty, and she doesn't want them to see me as "available." I actually monitor what I say around her friends, so I don't seem suspiciously familiar with gay life for a "straight" man.

I don't consider myself straight (though I am more on the hetero side of the sexual continuum), but I know that I'm basically living a straight life. (I've also decided that I enjoy sex more with women than with men, all things held equal). There's a pretty strong chance that I'll end up sharing my life with a woman for the long term, either this one or someone else. My fantasies and desires are now definitely more for women, though I do find men attractive on a more than trivial basis.

I feel really alone in this experience. If I was a woman, I could laugh it off and call myself a "hasbian." But I'm a man!

neveen
Apr 27, 2011, 5:26 PM
I feel really alone in this experience. If I was a woman, I could laugh it off and call myself a "hasbian." But I'm a man!

so you're a "stray" instead of gay...sorry, lame attempt at making it punny

fred fencesitter
Apr 27, 2011, 5:29 PM
Making it punny is a good thing.

_Joe_
Apr 27, 2011, 5:41 PM
so you're a "stray" instead of gay...sorry, lame attempt at making it punny

Bravo!

_someone_
Apr 27, 2011, 8:50 PM
While it may be a bit jarring for those who knew you before, I kind of don't see why they should ultimately care. If you're happy with the relationship, they should be at least happy about the fact. Around her, just identify as whatever is acceptable. ;)

mikey3000
Apr 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Man, you are not alone. I know several men who were very gay for many years, then met a woman and fell in love. Happens more than you think. If it can happen one way, why not the other? Congradulations on your new found happiness.

Long Duck Dong
Apr 28, 2011, 12:19 AM
fred, put yourself in your partners shoes....

what you have posted, reads to me as you moving away from a old part of your life and into a new area that feels comfortable for you and right... and you are interested in settling down into that lifestyle....

now think about what your partner is saying.... " my gay friends can have the attitude that bi means easy lay and that means that you are free for the fucking, regardless of relationship status " ..

the best way to make up your own mind about her friends, is to watch them and the way they interact.... that will tell you if shes correct or incorrect about the way they behave......

either way.... enjoy yourself, have a good time and a good relationship ( I hope its long term and very pleasure )

DuckiesDarling
Apr 28, 2011, 1:19 AM
Congrats on your happiness, Fred.

I don't think your gf is insecure at all, I do think she knows her friends. In the end it's up to you if you identify as bi or not publicly. As was stated, make up your own mind about the friends, but there must be a reason she termed them "slutty" to you. Or perhaps her friends have made comments to her about you being yummy, too bad you were "straight". :2cents:

Realist
Apr 28, 2011, 6:44 AM
I've known only a few bisexuals, who were strictly "middle of the road" personalities. In my own case, I have been somewhat gay to mostly heterosexual....with variances in between.

Presently, I feel less interested in being more gay, than in years past. Being very much in love with a lady may have something to to do with it, but she is also bisexual and seems to be with me, on this.

I've lived in a world of fluctuations...a pendulum of interests and desires, that has swung back and forth for most of my life.

I just go with it!