View Full Version : open and swallow every last drop

bigbadmax
Apr 21, 2011, 1:29 PM
whats your fave drink and food ?

food has to be oysters or steak(rare)

drink has to be gin and tonic (plymouth gin) or demi sec champagne

DuckiesDarling
Apr 21, 2011, 3:19 PM
Depends on who is cooking. If LDD is cooking Chicken Stirfry, if I'm cooking a nice steak, baked potato and broccoli.

Coffee fave drink overall, but as far as alcohol I'd rather have a nice whisky than anything else.

LunarGoblin
Apr 21, 2011, 3:26 PM
My favorite food is by far fettuccine alfredo, or anything pasta-based for that matter.

As for drink, I just turned 21 near the end of last year, so I haven't had much experience there yet, but so far I'm a huge fan of beer and Whiskey/Coke. I also like some of the more yummy drinks, like Midori Sour and Long Island Iced Tea.

Hephaestion
Apr 22, 2011, 3:02 AM
whats your fave drink and food ?

food has to be oysters or steak(rare)

drink has to be gin and tonic (plymouth gin) or demi sec champagne

Suggest listening to the Radio 4 broadcast on Voodo wasps and Zombie worms re. poorly cooked food.

bigbadmax
Apr 22, 2011, 6:36 AM
VEGANS LOOK AWAY!

this reminds me of survival training wih royal marines-

in arctic we had to survive 24hrs on a herring,am onion an oxo cube and a candle between 4 of us

normal survival training we had to eat roast slugs, the still warm innards of a rabbitand its eye fluid with crickets...mmm can stil taste it now(eurggh)

Suggest listening to the Radio 4 broadcast on Voodo wasps and Zombie worms re. poorly cooked food.

kitten
Apr 22, 2011, 6:40 AM
grilled shrimp with buttered pasta

iced tequila or long island tea

Realist
Apr 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Max, If I had to eat an onion, I'd rather starve! Yuck!

I worked for the US military for 30 years. Used to hear stories about survival forays, where Marines, soldiers, and airmen, would get dropped by parachutes in the jungles of Panama, or a desert, somewhere...no food, no water. Only a knife, a map, and compass. They had a long way to go and deadlines of when they were supposed to arrive. Some were dumped as teams, some as single survivors. A few did not make it! Rough!

I just signed on, was gonna look up an idea for lunch....got side-tracked. Still got ideas for lunch, though!

Grilled shrimp sounds soooo good!

So, it's a salad and Shrimp for lunch!

Thanks!

bigbadmax
Apr 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
unusually warm holiday weekend- iced 1800 tequilla sounds like a winner!
oh lordy, glad I aint driving til tomorrow afternoon.:)

grilled shrimp with buttered pasta

iced tequila or long island tea

lizard-lix
Apr 22, 2011, 4:15 PM
I eat everything but kidneys and brains... (I even like Haggis :bigrin:)

Given a choice, an almost raw rib eye steak, sauteed broccoli rabe (rappini) with garlic, a baked potato and a green salad with blue cheese dressing is my go to. Put two fingers of good bourbon in a glass next to it and I might think I've died and gone to heaven.

OTOH, the grilled shrimp idea sounds lovely, as does a seitan stir fry on rice (but that was lunch, yummy!), or a mess o' sushi.

Right now I could go for some hummus on crispy baked pita chips and a diet tonic water.

(food is so much fun, like sex, who can choose?)

Happy Friday! Good Friday and happy Easter for those who believe.

Liz

Hephaestion
Apr 23, 2011, 5:07 AM
VEGANS LOOK AWAY!

this reminds me of survival training wih royal marines-

in arctic we had to survive 24hrs on a herring,am onion an oxo cube and a candle between 4 of us

normal survival training we had to eat roast slugs, the still warm innards of a rabbitand its eye fluid with crickets...mmm can stil taste it now(eurggh)

What! No midge cake, meal worms or snake?

Don't you find rabbit embryos a little crunchy? Whereas, most molluscs become a little chewy. You must tell what an oxo-cube tree looks like and how to recognise the cubes being ripe enough to pick. Seriously, the arctic I associate with permafrost. Is it possible to find onions?

I always thought that emergency rations relied more on chocolate and self heating cans of meat and 2 veg backed up with EPIRBS' Sat-phones and the like. Of course. I should have realised. It was the British army; string and pink sealing wax de rigueur. Into battle with only 5 bullets, the wrong camouflage and radios that don't work on allied frequencies.

I trust the candle was used wisely.

sammie19
Apr 23, 2011, 5:34 AM
When I was younger, in winter I would come home from school on freezing cold days to a plate of Stovies. Stovies are a kind of stew most often made up from the leftovers of Sunday dinner or a joint, consisting of potatoes, onions, leftover beef, fried in the dripping from the roast and then cooked as a stew. They have a particular taste, very oniony, and an aroma which I would walk to hell and back for.

There are variations and they can be made from corned beef, sausage and other meats, cooked with lard or fresh dripping and even vegetable oil, but for the best flavour the left over option is best. Once tasted, never forgotten. Certainly the smell coming out of the kitchen is enough to make the legs wobble. Nicely of course. They are very sloppy and very tasty. mmmmmm.

Darkside2009
Apr 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
I protest, I have been gagged and bound and brought here under false pretences. I had thought this was a sex thread and here I find it is all about... cooking.

That Jamie Oliver has a lot to answer for. And stovies, I thought stovies were something you scraped off your shoes when you had been out for a walk in the park.:eek: Now I find Sammie is stuffing her face with them. What next I ask myself, DD having a wet dream over a stuffed chippati?

This cannot go on people, we have a reputation as perverts to uphold and we cannot just go on willy-nilly enjoying ourselves and stuffing our faces with food.

Did she say lard? Did that brazen strumpet actually use the L- word? Who the Hell uses lard these days but some sassenach sword swallower on a Saturday night down at his local sauna?

This will not do people, with this in mind I have devised a course of PT lessons commencing tomorrow. Reveille will be at 0600, and no that is not some kind of Irish soda bread so you can wipe that smirk off your face you at the back.

There will be a weeping and a wailing and a gnashing of teeth. To those that have no teeth, teeth will be provided. You might think you are here to enjoy yourselves but...

We apologise for the breakdown in our services, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. :bigrin:

DuckiesDarling
Apr 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
Hey now, we still use lard in Kentucky, nothing better for flavoring beans and making biscuits...that's the fluffy scone like things, not cookies. :)

Thanks for the smile, hon :)

sammie19
Apr 24, 2011, 4:04 AM
I know that dripping and lard are hardly pc cooking, but for some dishes they add a flavour which cooking oils simply cannot match, but you will get no recommendation from me to return to the days when everything was swimming in the stuff.

My grandad still insists on his chips and battered fish being deep fried in a chip pan not by using cooking oil, but in dripping. He refuses to eat chip shop fare because they are no longer fried in dripping, always with four slices of bread thick spread with butter. His Sunday breakfast, a full fry up, is always fried in lard. The chips taste lovely and the fry up too, but I dread to think what they do to my arteries, and wonder how this spry old man of 77 still looks like a beanpole. My poor old gran however is more what we may think of as the matronly type. As you eat at their house, you feel the fur attach to the arteries with every munch and wonder just how long you have for this world.:rolleyes:

DuckiesDarling
Apr 24, 2011, 4:08 AM
Thing is Sammie, everyone preaches about eating better and you'll live longer, yet many of us had grandparents that ate eggs every morning, biscuits made with lard, thick slabs of bacon and went out and worked all day. They didn't worry about arteries and monitoring calorie intake. They lived long and full lives, nowadays people are avoiding anything that is "bad" for you without stopping to appreciate that the "bad" food not only kept people alive for years but kept them healthier than we are now.

sammie19
Apr 24, 2011, 4:37 AM
Thing is Sammie, everyone preaches about eating better and you'll live longer, yet many of us had grandparents that ate eggs every morning, biscuits made with lard, thick slabs of bacon and went out and worked all day. They didn't worry about arteries and monitoring calorie intake. They lived long and full lives, nowadays people are avoiding anything that is "bad" for you without stopping to appreciate that the "bad" food not only kept people alive for years but kept them healthier than we are now.

The lifestyle is so different now. The levels of obesity and obesity related illness have rocketed. People were so much more active than now, ate less, and overall ate a much more balanced diet. They did eat what we would consider unhealthily quite often, but they ate less processed food, less fast food, ate out less, and ate far more fresh wholesome food. Most people were manual workers, fewer people had cars and exercised much more than we do today. They did not exercise to keep fit, but they did so because that was the way of their world. Grandad walked to work every morning and he worked 4 miles away from home and there were millions who did the same.

Many did live long healthy lives, but they lived shorter lives than we do now, and it is questionable whether the elderly of today are any healthier than when my grandparents were young. Some of this can be put down to the extra 10 or 12 years people have nowadays. The longer people live it is more probable we will suffer from age related illness. As my grandad says, we have to die of something. He intends to die of sunday breakfasts, but he is more likely to die after eating a healthy home cooked meal of the kind he has eaten most of his life after a 5 mile walk over the hills or after 8 hours hard work in his garden.

Realist
Apr 24, 2011, 10:09 AM
I think the secret of the "oldtimers" longevity, and lack of cholesterol-induced problems, was because of the hard work they did.

Eskimos eat lots of fats, like blubber...something that would soon kill a more sedentary person, in a warmer climate. Keeping warm requires a lot of calories, I'm sure.

Military rations are laden with calories, because of the extreme work they're required to do.

Nothing was easy in the past, even as late as the '50s. I remember laboring to do things that took hours, but today, machines efficiently do it for us.

I sit here, typing, thinking of this spare tire I've gotten and I know I probably eat as much as I did, when I was working hard....and staying skinny, too!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
lol Darkside wants perversion rather than food. I oughta send him some of my writings......lol
For me, anything on a BBQ is heavanly. A good rare steak, some roasted corn, a tater, or foil wrapped veggies and I'm a happy Cat. If I'm drinking regular stuff, Pepsi is my drink of choice. If I'm drink-drinking then Seagrims 151 rum and coke/pepsi or a good made Strawberry Daquerie with real strawberrrys. Of which I'll be having later with the ham, scalloped taters, brocolli and cheese, creamed onions. Sweet tater cassaroll (They'll be having that, I wont...lol) 2 different dips with chips and cheesy bread, and ice cream cake. Can you tell its going to be a busy Easter here......lol
Hugs Loves
Cat

Darkside2009
Apr 24, 2011, 3:44 PM
I don't wish to die of a cholesterol induced heart attack. I intend dying in my sleep, just like my Grandfather, and not like the passengers in his car all screaming and yelling. :bigrin:

retrosoul1961
Apr 24, 2011, 6:42 PM
meatball sub and milk