PDA

View Full Version : noahs arch

biblkman
Apr 16, 2011, 2:59 AM
Has anyone seen this show?

I don't like it, I'm tired of seeing shows that have all bi or gay men acting feminine. I'm a bi man and I'm not feminine, I've been with one feminine man and 2 masculine men... I prefer masculine men.

I think that's why its so hard for bi and gay men to be considered a real man, so to speak. Cause society as a whole views bisexuality and homosexuality as feminine, a man sucking a dick seems feminine....but a woman eating pussy isn't masculine....its not.....but that's double standard, bottom line there are bi men like me and homosexual men who are masculine and the representation the media has , is just a way to keep fear, misunderstanding and prejudice alive........Stop perpetuating the stereotype!

12voltman59
Apr 16, 2011, 2:43 PM
Its all part of the bullshit, narrowly defined way that the cultural gatekeepers wish to have things namely in this case---that if you engage in any sort of homosexual behavior of any sort beyond maybe a few times of "experimentation" when young is acceptable as long as it is only a time or two of doing something--- the cultural gatekeepers have decreed that if you go beyond that or do such a thing at an older age, at least for men, then you are gay--no ifs, and or buts about it--and also that part of being gay is to be an effeminate man.

I totally reject those narrowly confined and restrained ways of defining sexuality----and with the way that male "gayness" plays out in our culture---I hold that the sexual part of "being gay" is only a very small percentage of the totality of what all encompasses being "gay" is and just because a guy might like to have sex with other men----that does not by fiat--make a man "gay."

azirish
Apr 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, also remember "lesbians" or "bi women" are always "lipstick" types on tv or in the movies. I have several lesbian friends, they won't watch a show like the L word, as according to them is meant for male fantasies.

I don't like it, I'm tired of seeing shows that have all bi or gay men acting feminine. I'm a bi man and I'm not feminine, I've been with one feminine man and 2 masculine men... I prefer masculine men.

I think that's why its so hard for bi and gay men to be considered a real man, so to speak. Cause society as a whole views bisexuality and homosexuality as feminine, a man sucking a dick seems feminine....but a woman eating pussy isn't masculine....its not.....but that's double standard, bottom line there are bi men like me and homosexual men who are masculine and the representation the media has , is just a way to keep fear, misunderstanding and prejudice alive........Stop perpetuating the stereotype!

drugstore cowboy
Jul 24, 2011, 3:52 PM
I've seen this show on TV just when flipping through channels.

I don't watch it regularly but it's one of the more popular TV shows on LOGO.

A LOT of bisexual and gay black men are very feminine or camp so no it's not a stereotype.

I have black male friends who are gay and they like this show since they get tired of seeing only white gay men on TV and in movies.

pepperjack
Jul 24, 2011, 4:33 PM

I'm w/u on this! hypocritical double standards; I'm a masculine bi man who gets turned on to other masculine bi or gay men; did time in prison; the ones who were yelling "fag" the loudest were the ones indulging the most! go figure!

Gearbox
Jul 24, 2011, 6:57 PM
99% of the gays/bi's I've had sex with were pretty masculine. I'd have no idea that they weren't straight if we met under other circumstances.
Of course I learned about how gays act from the TV. No idea how bi men act.:rolleyes:

I was disappointed that not all gays are comedians like Alan Carr. But I do sometimes get an ideal 'night in' of hard sex and a standup routine about former hookups afterwards.:bigrin:

slipnslide
Jul 24, 2011, 7:06 PM
A TV show is about selling advertising, not changing stereotypes.

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 25, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's about both. Television has a very long history of "going there" before the nation at large was ready. Just in my lifetime it started with Archi Bunker forcing us to have the conversation about bigotry (and toilet flushing in polite company). More recently we have Will and Grace as well as Queer Eye. Those two shows set the stage for same sex marriage as a serious discussion in America (if Gavin Newsome hadn't fucked it up we'd be a even further along in that).

TV does much to change perceptions. There is no doubt that advertising plays a role even in that social agenda. But make no mistake. It is only a part of it.

Pasa

drugstore cowboy
Jul 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
More recently we have Will and Grace as well as Queer Eye. Those two shows set the stage for same sex marriage as a serious discussion in America (if Gavin Newsome hadn't fucked it up we'd be a even further along in that).

Mayor Gavin Newsome did not fuck anything up when it comes to same gender marriage.

He is to be commended for what he did.

Queer Eye and Will and Grace do more harm to gay men with their caricatures of bad gay male stereotypes complete with fag hags and tiresome gay male stereotypical queens.

Will & Grace has always seemed to me to be a show that was created so it would be OK to yet again laugh at gay people. Like Queer Eye. Shows like these only perpetuate the stereotype that everyone has a gay friend (or should have a gay friend--or should have five gay friends), that your gay friend has magical fashion powers, that your gay friend is frivolous and vain and wimpy and whiny, and the stereotypical total queen/flamer.

Then there was the actor who played Jack, Sean Hayes who stayed totally closeted even though everyone knew that he's gay.

Insulting stereotypes like the gay male characters on W & G or the walking living stereotypes from Queer Eye, perpetuate harmful myths about gay men. They don’t give “needed visibility.” As insulting to gay people as the minstrel shows with blackface performers were to blacks.

Queer as Folk, Queer Eye for the “Straight” Guy, and Glee are loved by heterosexuals because these shows and their bad gay male stereotypical caricatures reinforce their heterosexist and heteronormative stereotypes and makes it easier for heterosexuals to single us out, mock us, and condescend to us and everyone else that's GLBT or not heterosexual.

slipnslide
Jul 25, 2011, 3:56 PM
Exactly.

The Norman Lear social commentary has been replaced by a landscape where shows have to be hits immediately or get canceled.

Doesn't Modern Family also have a stereotypical flamboyant gay character? I've never seen the show, but have seen clips.

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 25, 2011, 4:03 PM
I completely disagree with your assessments.

Will and Grace made the idea of gay relationships and gay culture normalized. It got the discussion going. And, while Jack was certainly a stereotype, Will was not. His issues were genuine. Yes, of course there were gay stereotypes. Sit coms rely on stereotypes no matter what the subject matter. Will and Grace gave us the first time that we had two lead characters who were gay. And they dealt with issues other than the straight/gay dichotomy. Oh, and I liked it because it was fucking funny.

I always hated Queer Eye...but it got people talking in a positive way. Anything that gets people talking, right?

As for Gavin Newsome...no, he should not be commended. Violating the law, and freaking out the straights is not the way to accomplish anything constructive. He set back the movement by years. We would have had same sex marriage years ago had he not decided to pull his stunt. He's a political hack and a weenie. He's the reason I started saying that the worst enemy the gay "community" has is itself.

Pasa

BiDaveDtown
Jul 25, 2011, 6:41 PM
LMAO Will & Grace and Queer Eye did not start same sex marriage or get people interested in such things.

Gavin Newsome is a hero when it comes to same gender marriage.

We would not have had same sex marriage at all if he hadn't started it in the city of San Francisco.

Have you seen how many states have passed laws that are against same gender marriage?

Or have you noticed that even the Obama administration has actually defended DOMA (Defense of "Marriage" act), and even on the campaign trail both Obama and Biden said how they both consider "Marriage" to be something that's just between a man and a woman? Then Obama did his famous "Gawd's in the mix! (when you're heterosexual and married)" argument. :rolleyes:

Will and Grace was mainly all about the gay/straight dichotomy, bad gay male stereotypes with yuppies/preppie queens like Will, and queens like Leslie Jordan's character and Jack, and there were even fat fag hags like Karen Walker and Grace!

W&G was yet another show about gay men that showed gay men as being your stereotypical rich, white, urban dwelling, and consumer driven vapid people who are of course there and pulled out as an ornament when their fat fag hag needs some ice cream and sympathy, or are called upon to design an apartment or pick out clothing! :rolleyes:

The writing sucked too and it was not funny at all. My gay male friends do not like how gay men are portrayed in TV shows as being like they were on Will and Grace and every single joke has to be about fashion, being "fabulous!!!!", they have fag hags, or other such nonsense.

Will and Grace was not the very first American TV show to ever show gay men or discuss homosexuality at all, and it was not the first TV show to ever discuss same gender marriage or gay male couples.

slipnslide
Jul 25, 2011, 8:07 PM
Again, I agree. The conservative-types I know watched the show to laugh *at* the gay guys.

love1234
Jul 26, 2011, 2:16 AM
It's about both. Television has a very long history of "going there" before the nation at large was ready. Just in my lifetime it started with Archi Bunker forcing us to have the conversation about bigotry (and toilet flushing in polite company). More recently we have Will and Grace as well as Queer Eye. Those two shows set the stage for same sex marriage as a serious discussion in America (if Gavin Newsome hadn't fucked it up we'd be a even further along in that).

TV does much to change perceptions. There is no doubt that advertising plays a role even in that social agenda. But make no mistake. It is only a part of it.

Pasa It called a program for a reason they are programming weak minds.

drugstore cowboy
Sep 27, 2011, 6:04 AM
I don't like it, I'm tired of seeing shows that have all bi or gay men acting feminine.

It's not a stereotype, it's true that mostly all black bisexual and gay men are feminine.

Mostly all of the black bisexual and gay men who I've ever met even the ones who think that they're really on the down low and think that they're "masculine" are really very feminine, nellie, and what you'd call total queens.

My bisexual husband liked this show and the movie that they made.

FloridaFun69
Sep 27, 2011, 9:10 AM
I love the term some women use about certain men in their lives - "he's all man". Like when they say their boyfriend or husband would never do something considered "gay" and they'll say - "my boyfriend is all man, he would never dress in drag for halloween". Well, every gay and bi man I've known in my life has been "ALL MAN". They were born with a penis, they have body hair, they shave, the contribute to society, they do right by their family and friends, they serve in the Military, etc.

Just my :2cents:

whispering
May 1, 2013, 4:49 PM
I love the term some women use about certain men in their lives - "he's all man". Like when they say their boyfriend or husband would never do something considered "gay" and they'll say - "my boyfriend is all man, he would never dress in drag for halloween". Well, every gay and bi man I've known in my life has been "ALL MAN". They were born with a penis, they have body hair, they shave, the contribute to society, they do right by their family and friends, they serve in the Military, etc.

Just my :2cents:

Yeah, it's kind of funny. Most women I know who are close to CD's see them as more fully masculine that the "real men".