PDA

View Full Version : Fran's luffly weekend in the smoke

darkeyes
Mar 27, 2011, 9:00 PM
Kate me an the kids spent a luffly weekend in London.. Big TUC demo gainst the cuts wich wos really fun if tirin, spesh for Lou.. 'er lil legs wer seriously givin up long b4 Hyde Park..ta big beefy postie guy from Towlorth who carried 'er on 'is shoulders for the last mile an a haff.. nope.. we werent part a the riot... that wos quite notha bunch a bams... dont blame 'em tho lots do.. just dont think they did us ne favours.. am not gonna go inta a big tirade bout cuts, govt policy or owt else.. suffice 2 say most a u lot on the western side a the pond don give a sod bout wot happens ova 'ere so just 2 letya kno the fightback has begun in earnest.. an Fran an kate r doin ther bit.. early days yet.. an ther will b more 2 cum an it will get nastier believe me...as they say.. wotch this space..

In evenin we had 2 change plans since Oxford Street an round bout ther wos a bit 2 hairy 2 take the kids.. an the east coast main line wos in chaos so gettin home wos a prob.. so we nipped down 2 Brighton an stayed ova night wiv sum m8s.. went out for a delish Thai meal an went back 2 thers for a few drinkies 1ce the kids were akip.. Sunday mornin walked along the prom an had nice ice cream an spent a few quid on the kids...

Afternoon Kate an I took the kids 2 ther 1st international footie match in London.. Brazil v Scotland at the Emirates Stadium.. didnt intend 2 go.. but go we did.. cost loadsa money but wtf? We got gubbed as expected.. Brazil made us out 2 look like puddings... lucky it wos only 2 nowt!!! But it wos gr8 fun an these Brazilian gals... Kate gave me moren a dirty look or 2 lemme tellya.. but me noticed 'er eyes goin an all.. an not just at the gals.. tg the horrors wer much 2 interested on wot wos goin on the field a play... they mita taken a dim view of our eyes strayin 2 wer they shudnt!!! Wos actually Lou's 1st eva footie game of ne kind.. an she luffed it.. spesh the guy wiv the funny haircut who scored ther goals.. 19 an played like 29.. brill 'e wos... God we r a rite loada puddins wen it cums 2 football these days..

Train home.. an got in 2 Edinburgh an hour an a half late even then... kids flaked out within minutes.. an we r knackered an all.. but all in all.. luffly weekend... an remarkably lil 2 drink.. no clubbin.. just laffs an gud fun...

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 27, 2011, 9:13 PM
lol Did you see my youngest daughter and son-in-law at the match, Fran? He plays for one of the teams there, but I'm not quite sure which one.....He's team Capt or something or another. Tall, black hair, blue eyes, about 6'2. Cute, but too skiny for my tastes. I'd break something that thin. Cat gets a little rough with her toys now and then...LMAO
Glad you had a fantastic time Honey.;):bigrin::cool:
Muah to your pretty face. ;]
Yer Cat
Cat

Hephaestion
Mar 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
The Directors of my (until 31 Mar 2011) place (publically funded) are on the "high paid" list with annual bonuses and yet we have a begging box in the public areas.

Glad someone else was there to represent the working man. Our Union (more like a gentlemen's club) seems to lack the balls nowadays.

nicco413
Mar 28, 2011, 4:00 AM
Peaceful protest is acceptable, anarchic behaviour and riots never - but unfortunately any demo now seems to attract the voilent minority which tarnishes any legal and peaceful protest,
The media, of course revel in any violence, and displays of the police being brutally attacked result in most law abiding people disassociating themselves from the protesters and forgetting any genuine protest.
Compare the anti hunting marches during the Bliar years with modern day marches.
Trouble is the public are also being hit by financial belt tightening viz fuel costs etc, and the Governments fuel duty stance recently wont help us in rural areas very much at all, fuel costs nearly match my feed and heating bills.

darkeyes
Mar 28, 2011, 6:30 AM
Peaceful protest is acceptable, anarchic behaviour and riots never - but unfortunately any demo now seems to attract the voilent minority which tarnishes any legal and peaceful protest,
The media, of course revel in any violence, and displays of the police being brutally attacked result in most law abiding people disassociating themselves from the protesters and forgetting any genuine protest.
Compare the anti hunting marches during the Bliar years with modern day marches.
Trouble is the public are also being hit by financial belt tightening viz fuel costs etc, and the Governments fuel duty stance recently wont help us in rural areas very much at all, fuel costs nearly match my feed and heating bills.

Dont disagree with you on violence and destruction one bit.. but do have sympathy for those who feel what went on around Oxford Street is a right and proper way to attack a system which they hate.. I hate the system too but could never bring myself to act so violently.. it is counter productive to my mind and potentially could alienate much of our support which make no mistake is huge.. the right wing British media will play it for all its worth to discredit anti government protest..

..when it comes to hunting lobby and demos of a few years ago I have been at a few hunts as a demonstrator and seen violence inflicted upon demonstrators by both police and hunters... so maybe huntspeeps didnt cause violence during their national demos.. but they sure as did while they were having their hunts...an not always against the poor bloody fox..

.. but think on this.. compared to the violence which is being inflicted upon both the social fabric of our country and people's living standards by govt policy and dogma.. what went on in London by several hundreds of "anarchists" is very tame... the violence inflicted upon human beings in this country and industries, jobs and services they hold dear could very well increase the amount of violence which will occur in the next few years.. I hope not.. as one who believe passionately in non violent, peaceful demonstration and civil disobedience as a legitimate method of fighting governments, elected or otherwise, any large scale inccrease in violence and destruction such as occured in and around Oxford Street at the weekend both detracts from our message, potentially as I have said, from our support, and endangers any real progress in fighting a government which is at once dogmatic and throughly unpleasant, but also anti working people, the unemployed, the sick and the elderly, and pro its big business paymasters...:)

.. back 2 the footie.. wot Fran wonts 2 kno.. wer wos Kaka??:(

sammie19
Mar 28, 2011, 7:35 AM
Kate me an the kids spent a luffly weekend in London.. Big TUC demo gainst the cuts wich wos really fun if tirin, spesh for Lou.. 'er lil legs wer seriously givin up long b4 Hyde Park..ta big beefy postie guy from Towlorth who carried 'er on 'is shoulders for the last mile an a haff.. nope.. we werent part a the riot... that wos quite notha bunch a bams... dont blame 'em tho lots do.. just dont think they did us ne favours.. am not gonna go inta a big tirade bout cuts, govt policy or owt else.. suffice 2 say most a u lot on the western side a the pond don give a sod bout wot happens ova 'ere so just 2 letya kno the fightback has begun in earnest.. an Fran an kate r doin ther bit.. early days yet.. an ther will b more 2 cum an it will get nastier believe me...as they say.. wotch this space..

Shiv mentioned to me you had bought balaclava's for her and Lou. Are you sure that wasn't my Aunty Flan that I saw on telly trying to raid Top Shop in the midst of the melee?:tong:

darkeyes
Mar 28, 2011, 8:55 AM
Shiv mentioned to me you had bought balaclava's for her and Lou. Are you sure that wasn't my Aunty Flan that I saw on telly trying to raid Top Shop in the midst of the melee?:tong:

No sweetness it bloody wosn!!!:tong: Wear an buy balaclavas for our girls?? God.. hardly a fashion statement I wud eva approve of.. balaclavas???:eek: God.. Cameron an Clegg cud do ther worst fore ya wud find 1a them on ne of our bonces!! Bout as sexy as wearin Doc Martens an dungys...:(

Hephaestion
Mar 28, 2011, 2:49 PM
Peaceful protest only works when the offendors are receptive to other people's points of view.

A reminder that e.g.
1) Habeas corpus was only re-conceded as a result of King John being held to account by his angry Barons

2) Parliament only works (after a fashion) because the mob cut off a King's head.

3) The Poll tax (a tax on growing up because of the way it was constructed) was only repealed after mob violence.

4) The Official Secrets Act was only introduced as a temporary measure during WW1

How many committees have consulted with the public and then simply ignored it/them or abused the conditons that they eeked out in trust. For example, London City airport where restricted flying with smaller 'whisper' jets were promised and no helicopters. The thin end of the wedge as expected. Helicopters were tried out. Runway was extended, bigger aircraft. More flights now commissioned and a redirection of flight paths to annoy even more people. Any surprise that the public began to fight back with lasers and debris on the runways. On the peaceful side of things, the Courts found in favour of the airport etc. How surprising.

It's this very attitude of F U Jack and I'm alright which provokes. It's an angry populace which responds in frustration and procedural impotence.

nicco413
Mar 28, 2011, 3:21 PM
yes and the latest news indicates increased draconian powers to deal with mob violence - soon will they ban marches totally?
having seen clips on the telly I dont understand anybody supporting the violent minority - damaging private property does not harm or worry government - in fact they are probably laughing their nuts off- the mob is doing such a good pr job for them!

nicco413
Mar 28, 2011, 3:22 PM
So Haephaestion supports mob rule and violence as a method to change things he does not like?

darkeyes
Mar 28, 2011, 5:48 PM
So Haephaestion supports mob rule and violence as a method to change things he does not like?

I may not agree with violence and what you call mob rule.. but I would have no hesitation in taking part in a campaign of protest and civil disobedince which is aimed at bringing down an elected government.. it has happened in this country before and it will happen again..it has happened in many countries before and will happen again.. France in 1968, what you call mob rule was the primary reason that finally lost de Gaulle his Presidency.. in 1974 in this country, the miners strike and many other campaigns by other trade unions and political organisations were the primary reasons for the fall of the Heath government.. the failed Miners strike against the Thatcher government is another case in point.. violence such as there was was the violence of the state against the people, contrary to what the media of the day claimed. The poll tax riots and demonstrations primarily the reason Thatcher was finally deposed.. the anti poll tax campaign was not quite as violent as perhaps Heph makes out, but violence there was... if anything the poll tax fell and ultimately Thatcher herself, not because of the violence, but because of the strength of feeling through the electorate, and because of the strength of the campaign as a whole.

I do not like violence, and would never take part in any demonstration where violence is intended by demonstrators.. yet I have been a part of many violent demonstrations..because if the history of my country is anything to go by, there has always been far more violence by the state in defence of its power against its people, than ever their has been by people against the state in defence of or in furtherance of their interests.. elected governments are often so entrenched and what they do so awful that sometimes the people, knowing that they have no hope of achieving change through the ballot box, have no option but to demonstrate and begin their civil disobedience.. it can be argued that this is undemocratic which I dispute.. for in the end the people decide who to support by a continued devotion to that self same ballot box.. and if as Heath did in 1974, if a government calls an election to decide who runs the country, then what you call mob rule will have played its part.. and as often as not what you call mob ruleand even violence , by bringing about an election, brings about a change of government and direction...

We do not elect a government to neuter our democratic values.. we do not give up our democratic rights in between elections.. protest and civil disobedience are democratic methods by which a people remind a government that they cant do just anything they like during their term of office.. that they are there for the best interests of the people not vested interests.. and when elected governments fail in their democratic duty to their people and begin to, in the view of the people, undermine the fabric of a society, and so to begin to act in such a way as to be a danger to the well being of a people... then civil disobedience and protest is the duty of all who care for the well being of that society.. sometimes it does spill over to violence.. not always the doing of the proteester.. to some, even most, violence is a valid way to settle disputes.. it is not to me, but I understand the frustrations of which Heph speaks... but I always consider that any such violence leaves a legacy which our society can well do without.. which is why I am a pacifist in all things.. many of our advances our society has made have been through non violent protest.. many through revolution, civil war and rebellion.. many through violence.. the creation of British democracy owes much to all creeds, and I have no doubt each will play its part in future..

So dont talk so disdainfully of Heph.. I disagree with him too, yet when a state is so corrupt and rancid as is the present British state, and the ballot box fails to meet the aspirations of the people, I understand why people turn to direct action in defence and furtherance of their interests.. even why people turn violent.. I hate it but understand it.. because all too often democracy fails and when it fails, then in between elections it is the democratic right and obligation of people to act in what they believe is their own best interests and the interests of their society against the monster which we call the state and if possible to act to bring down an elected government..

darkeyes
Mar 28, 2011, 5:59 PM
Y'kno..me strated this not 2 get inta huge political diatribes but as lite hearted revue a me weekend... just shows.. me shud keep me big gob shut sumtimes....:tong:

sammie19
Mar 28, 2011, 6:22 PM
Y'kno..me strated this not 2 get inta huge political diatribes but as lite hearted revue a me weekend... just shows.. me shud keep me big gob shut sumtimes....:tong:

Hmmm. That'll be the day.:rolleyes:

Hephaestion
Mar 28, 2011, 8:26 PM
Please be clear that I do not advocate violence at any time. But I am not surprised when it occurs.

What I was pointing out was that throughout history it would seem that authorities especially in the UK only ever conceded an argument when the mob was pounding at their doors. Again I remind that our liberties and refined procedures did not come about because someone had a good idea and everyone agreed. These came about because they were fought for. This is residual in our legal system of torts.

"A right not fought for is a right lost" What is tragic is that sometimes that right is fought for and is still lost.

I was amused a while back when a foreign government held a referendum and ended up not complying with the wishes of the British Government. The news presenter Jon Snow gave the amabassador of the country a bit of a grilling and pep talk saying:

"Come on now why haven't you guided your people into a different vote?"

The amabassodr replied:

"The people of my country are conversant with all aspects of the debate and they have voted. We are a democracy and so the government has followed the wishes of the people".

Compare that with what the UK does

nicco413
Mar 29, 2011, 8:30 AM
OK Lets all have a group hug and grope, bin wanting to get me paws on fran for years - yes I am a very old and very pervy guy!!

darkeyes
Mar 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
OK Lets all have a group hug and grope, bin wanting to get me paws on fran for years - yes I am a very old and very pervy guy!!

*laffs* Ole perv no 1,342... Join that line a ole pervs ova ther.. the 1 wiv Curio at the front.. he been waitin 6 years as it is... God knos how long u will hang around, nicco..:tong::bigrin:

.. but is very nice of ya 2 say so me luffly..;)

nicco413
Mar 29, 2011, 2:23 PM
Forgot to mention I queue jump too - especially for fran

darkeyes
Mar 30, 2011, 3:44 AM
Forgot to mention I queue jump too - especially for fran

Not every1 is as nice as me ya kno.. of that 1341 peeps ahead a ya in the queue at least sum will get rite nowty wen ya shuv yasel in fronta them.. an wudnt like 2 think ofya brains pummelled inta mush just ova lil ole me... :eek::bigrin: an thats only the ole pervy lot.. musnt forget the even large queue of younga lesser mortals who r in ther own queue.. much less fatalistic an infinitely more short tempered an impatient nicco..:tong:

..an nicco me darlin'.. if by chance ya dus manage 2 get 2 the front of the queue.. eitha queue or by sum miracle both... then ya has 2 sumhow overcome the luffly Naggy Knickers.. an she fights dirtier an nastiier than ne bloody guy lemme tellya!!!

..aahh wot it is 2 b a popular girl..:bigrin: