PDA

View Full Version : Booobiesss

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 26, 2011, 4:06 PM
Who says Washingtonions dont have a weird sense of humor?? lol This is really commendable. Good thing I dont knit. I'd have booie snuggies and cock cozies everywhere....lmao
Cat

New knitting craze: Breasts
Sonya Acord gathered in Lakewood with her Yorkshire Yarns customers on Friday for an evening of knitting prosthetic breasts to donate to women who’ve lost their own to cancer. Be warned, these are pretty salty do-gooders – so salty, in fact, that my editor would prefer I not name the group outright. We would not wish to offend, or titillate, readers.

Lui Kit Wong The News Tribune

Sherry Grafstrom of Lakewood, in green, laughs with friends while crocheting a tit bit that will be donated to mastectomy patients at Yorkshire Yarns on Friday, March 25, 2011 in Lakewood. (Lui Kit Wong/The News Tribune)
Longtime area friends open up a downtown Puyallup business that focuses on friendship, fun and teaching the masses the fine art of knitting, whether they’re experts or just curious to learn more

Twitters admit to crazes. Some years, it’s socks. Others, it’s feather-light wraps.

This year, it’s shaping up to be breasts.

Sonya Acord gathered in Lakewood with her Yorkshire Yarns customers on Friday for an evening of knitting prosthetic breasts to donate to women who’ve lost their own to cancer.

Be warned, these are pretty salty do-gooders – so salty, in fact, that my editor would prefer I not name the group outright. We would not wish to offend, or titillate, readers.

Instead, I will leave you to fill in a letter. Acord has named the group “The Knitty (-)itty Committee.”

The movement started in Maine, where it makes perfect sense. It is cold, cold, cold there in the winter. Given a choice of what to strap to one’s chest, a person might well prefer something super-soft and woolly to a bag of chilly silicone.

Chelsea Flotten, a knitter from Brunswick, had a right-breast mastectomy in 2002.

“In September of 2006, a wonderful friend, Mary Ellen, presented me with the most thoughtful and joyful gift – a knitted boob!” Flotten wrote on the Maine group’s website, theknittingexperience.com/knitted_knockers_program.

Flotten loved it and showed it to her doctor, who saw just the right combination of light-heartedness and financial benefit in it.

Traditional silicone prostheses are expensive enough to be beyond the reach of some women already struggling to pay for their cancer treatment.

A good prosthesis can cost $300, said Janie Cunningham, executive director of Tacoma’s Breast Cancer Resource Center. The center helps women with wigs, bras and prostheses – and the daily practicalities of building a life that looks normal in the midst of cancer.

“We’ve had people come in with 30-year-old prostheses,” Cunningham said. “Some of them are worn out and leaking and patched with duct tape.”

“I can knit a boob for $4.80,” Acord said.

That would be with the softest, most washable yarn for the job.

Like Flotten, she recommends a cotton-tencel blend or a cashmerino. Real wool gets too hot, can be scratchy and doesn’t wash easily.

“A bamboo-silk mix is really, really soft,” Acord said. “I just don’t know how perky the bamboo will be for the nipple. We may have to use a button.”

Acord is knitting her first breast in a rich milk-chocolate skin tone, using one of her many balls of leftover yarn. There will be just enough for one, perfect for a woman who has not had a double mastectomy.

But she, like Cunningham, sees no reason to stick to skin tones.

Cunningham, who’s considering taking up knitting for this, has her eye on a skull-and-crossbones button for a fierce pirate nipple. She might go with a butterfly button and bright yarns for a breast with less attitude.

Either way, she’ll knit an outer cover and a liner that she’ll fill with stuffing, and a small smooth stone for weight, to slip into a mastectomy bra.

Take the stone out before you go through airport security, Acord said, or you’ll give a screener an impromptu education.

The Maine-inspired breasts have been all about attitude, a fine fit for today’s social knitters, Acord said.

A good many of them are frank beyond old boundaries.

A woman who’d had a double mastectomy stopped by one day, asking if there was anything like Knitted Knockers going on locally.

“She just pulled her shirt up, and showed me what a double mastectomy looked like,” Acord said.

That woman had gone through enough to be matter-of-fact about it. She understood that most people don’t understand.

Acord researched the knitted breasts, picked an evening to get started on them, and emailed invitations to her customers.

One of them turned up the next day, looking for beige yarn and a pattern. She wanted to get one done for herself in time for bathing suit season.

Acord will send her knitters’ handiwork to the Breast Cancer Resource Center.

She envisions displaying some of them in her Lakewood shop.

“We’ll have a bowl of knitted boobies,” she said. “We need to be educated. Yes, we need to laugh, but we need to have the conversation.”

Kathleen Merryman: 253-597-8677 kathleen.merryman@ thenewstribune.com blog.thenewstribune.com/street

Diva667
Mar 26, 2011, 5:54 PM
All colors, shapes and sizes , too :)

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager2/files/30002494/2010/09/2010-09-01-18-42-23-10-mrs-audrey-will-continue-to-knit-as-long-as-there.jpeg

roy m cox
Mar 26, 2011, 11:51 PM
i think it's a good idea ,

i lost my mama to Breast cancer :( but i think my mom would find this funny she had a wonder full sens of humor :)

DuckiesDarling
Mar 27, 2011, 12:15 AM
Awesome post, Cat. If these things make even one woman smile that has had a mastectomy then more power to them.

Does remind me of a joke I found somewhere though.

One day God came down to visit Eve in the Garden of Eden...

"So how is everything here", He asked

"This place is fantastic! The mountains, the brooks and streams, the blue sky, the animals, fruits and berries everywhere...This place is truly paradise...But, I do have a little problem"

"Tell me child"

"Well, its these 3 breasts you gave me...The middle one pushes the outer ones out so they rub against my arms, by the end of the day they're all red and sore...And with all this weight, my back is sore too"

"When i created the animals, I gave them 4 legs and 6 breasts...I figured if i gave you half the legs, I'd give you half the breasts as well...No matter, I can fix that right now."...

God reaches out with his hand and touches the middle one, which drops into his hand...He tosses it away into the bushes...He leaves...

A few weeks later he returns to check up on Eve...

"So how is everything", he asks..

"Well, the change you made was fantastic...My back isn't sore and I can run and walk without my arms chaffing...But I do have another problem"...

"Tell me child"...

" I noticed that all the animals have partners...The sheep has the ram, the mare has the stallion and the cow has the bull..I don't have a partner, and quite honestly, I get lonely sometimes"...

"A small oversight...No problem I can fix that for you right now...Hmmm, I call you Woman, so I'll call your partner Man...And seeing how the word man is part of the word woman, I'll make him from a part of you...

God looks around, scratching his head and says,

"Hmmmm, Now where did I toss that useless boob?"

Darkside2009
Mar 27, 2011, 6:57 AM
I found this a fascinating post. I had no idea women in your country were charged so much for prosthetic breasts, or having to pay for their own cancer treatment.

In the UK this would all be free so when I hear stories such as this it makes me think how lucky I am to live this side of the Pond. It must be awful there for people who can't afford to pay medical insurance, bad enough being ill without having to worry about extra bills.

I would have thought wool would be a little itchy though, next to the skin. The next time I see a full bra, I'm going to wonder if that is a tea-cosy in there or is she just pleased to see me.

I can see where, 'My left tit is in the wash', could be a bit of a conversation stopper. Amazing! the ideas people will think of.

DD, everyone knows woman came from man and they've being giving us woe ever since. I just wonder what we could have got if we had given up a finger or an arm. Hell! I'd just be happy if we could find the nag button on women so we could turn it off. :bigrin:

Diva667
Mar 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
I used to have an ex MIL who lost a breast to cancer. She would store her keys and money in her prosthesis. Trufax :) (It wasnt knitted tho)

Plus they make yarn in many many different textures.

Silk, angora, bamboo, cotton etc..

Some of these are very yummy next to the skin and not at all itchy.