PDA

View Full Version : Journal of Homosexuality/Bisexuality

Nadir
Mar 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
Allright, so, I was doing some research on Wikipedia about Sexology journals (it wasn´t university-related, I just happened to get curious), and then I happened across a Wikipedia article that detailed one interesting journal named "Journal of Bisexuality". It basically covers what it is its name, new social research on bisexuality, issues of bisexuals that are in therapy, growth of the bisexual movement, media representations, lifestyles... actually I found it very interesting, and I was wondering if there was any way in which I could access or download the articles for free. I subscribed to "Informaworld" and then I tried to see if I had any access to the articles, but I was denied entrance. I dunno if I did something wrong. Could anybody on this site tell me if there is any other way to access or download this journal? Or maybe somebody has the articles and doesn´t mind sharing them around? I would be very thankful for that.

At the same time, there was another journal that caught my eye. This one is actually older, it´s first issue being published in 1976. It´s the "Journal of Homosexuality", although it contains many articles on bisexuality and LGBT issues in general. Actually, I was surprised to see a LGBT publication being written and academically published just three years later after the APA removed homosexuality from their list of mental illness. Shows that the power of association back there was as strong (or even stronger) than it is now. If any of you has read the journals, could you tell me if you found them instructive? I would like to hear your opinions.

Kisses to everyone ;)

Realist
Mar 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
That does sound interesting. I've read a few accounts of personal experiences, but never anything done by academics. My experiences and interests varied from most I've read, too. Would be nice to read of someone with similar desires, quirks, idiosyncrasies, as mine.

softfruit
Mar 16, 2011, 3:54 PM
Gosh, I remember the launch back in 2000 - I even found one of the original launch flyers the other day! Anyone wondering about the JofB can find more here: http://www.bisexual.org/projects.html

Nadir: If your uni libraries haven't subscribed to it - is there any way you can persuade them to? If you're a student or academic it's the easiest way and would mean other people doing related studies at your college would get access to it as well.

(uk readers - if you're doing that please do press them to subscribe to BCN (http://www.BiCommunityNews.co.uk/) too!) :flag3:

Hephaestion
Mar 16, 2011, 5:50 PM
Libraries the length and breadth of the UK are targets for cuts. If anyone manages to get a library to succumb to their influence to spend money on a new journal then please do share the methodology.

softfruit
Mar 16, 2011, 6:56 PM
They have been for years - though this is mostly Uni libraries we shoult be considering here as those are the ones inclined to take things like the JofB.

Nadir
Mar 24, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well, I made some little research on the archives of my library, first by computer and then directly, on the section where they keep all the scientific and social journals. While it was an interesting search (I came across many interesting publications of disciplines like Psychology, Anthropology and Philosophy in the process, both from the U.S.A. and the UK, and also from Spain), I didn´t found any trace of both the Journal of Homosexuality or the Journal of Bisexuality. I thought about asking the library staff about getting a suscription, but to be frank, I am dubious they would consider it of interest. After all, what Hephaestion said is right, most libraries around the place are targeted for cuts (is somewhat indignant that when the government is trying to get money by cutting off education, when this is right now more important than it ever was). Anyway, I will have to wait until either the recession is over or maybe wait for someone who has it on PDF to give it to me XD. Whichever comes first...

bisocialnudist
Mar 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have subscribed to the Journal of Bisexuality for a few years now. I think its kind of over priced for what you get but its not like I can subscribe to the other Bisexual Journal. My biggest objection is it is only 4 issues a year and often they make it a double issue and count the bigger issue as two issues. At almost $100.00 a year it is not cheap but par for the course once in academic journal land.

All this said I have found enough articles of interest to make it worthwhile to keep the subscription. Im not sure if its this way for everyone but with my active subscription I get online access to the back issues. Between the back issues and the occasional article that blows me away I keep renewing.

The Informa site should give you access to a sample article or two. The best way to get access is through a University Library if they have a subscription and you can get access. As for sharing the articles the copyright clause makes it pretty clear I cant do that (:. I am the kind of guy that takes whatever interest I have and wants to know everything there is about it, my bisexuality is no exception so i consider a subscription the cost of being the best bisexual I can be LOL .

One last note the magazine comes in a clear cellophane wrapper somewhat to my wife's amusement and a a smile from the mail lady.

Mark

tenni
Mar 24, 2011, 1:16 PM
Thanks Nadir for creating this thread. I found that journal a few years back but was discouraged with the charge. Thanks Mark. I wondered if the fee was worth it. It may be tempting to join for those of us who are interested in learning more about the academic perspective about bisexuality.

Creativebi Mark
Are the journal entries scientifically based? philosophical(unlikely) Would you be kind enough to expand on how you see the "validity" of the entries? (use of various scientific validation of stats, etc.?) I suspect that they use a variety of research approaches.

bisocialnudist
Mar 24, 2011, 3:17 PM
Creativebi Mark
Are the journal entries scientifically based? philosophical(unlikely) Would you be kind enough to expand on how you see the "validity" of the entries? (use of various scientific validation of stats, etc.?) I suspect that they use a variety of research approaches.

The December issue was a special issue on Bisexuality and Youth, this was an example of an outstanding issue that made the subscription worth every penny. The articles ran the gamut from original research to summaries of other research on bisexuality. This journal adds to the depth of our knowledge and for me anyway is well worth the cost. As I said academic journals tend to be in a different price level and usually have a different target market then the end consumer but at least for me I want to know all there is about what makes us who we are and there have been some wonderful examples in The Journal of Bisexuality.

From the Aims and Scopes section in the instructions to Authors :
"The Journal of Bisexuality is the first professional quarterly to publish both articles and serious essays on bisexuality and its meaning to the individual ,the community and society. This exciting journal covers a wide range of topics on bisexuality including new bisexual research, bisexual issues in therapy, differences from the straight, lesbian and gay communities, growth of the bisexual movement, bisexuality and the media and different bisexual lifestyles. " - Instructions to Authors Journal of Bisexuality Vol 10 Number 4 Oct-Dec2010

I think the Table of Contents with a summary if not an abstract of articles for all the issues and some free sample articles are usually available on line. Here is a link to the Journal of Bisexuality expand the selections by clicking on the plus sign. You can also buy individual articles but a subscription is a better value.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=t792306887

Hope this helps.
Mark

softfruit
Mar 24, 2011, 3:23 PM
With Journal of Bisexuality, it's a mixture of social sciences stuff, in the main: so most of the articles are quite heavily referenced and there are a variety of methodologies and so on represented in different articles from different writers in different institutions in different countries!

There are 3 or 4 other bi magazines / periodicals I read, they each have their own styles and target audiences. J of B is the only one that is primarly academic and research based.