PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pi Day

**Peg**
Mar 14, 2011, 9:06 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/03/14/pi.tau.math/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Realist
Mar 14, 2011, 9:42 AM
I had a piece of left-over blueberry pi(e) with coffee this morning for breakfast.

Wonder where this "spare tire" is coming from?

Diva667
Mar 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
π (sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any Euclidean plane circle's circumference to its diameter; this is the same value as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. It is approximately equal to 3.14159265 in the usual decimal notation. Many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering involve π, which makes it one of the most important mathematical constants.[1]

To celebrate I believe I will take my girl out for pi(e)

lizard-lix
Mar 14, 2011, 12:31 PM
I will definitely try to celebrate with some cream pi(e) !

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 14, 2011, 1:26 PM
Hmmmm, and here I thought it was just Steak and Blow Job day......lol
Hugs Peg. :}
Yer Cat

softfruit
Mar 14, 2011, 2:41 PM
In the UK where we write our dates in a different order, Pi Day falls on July 22nd (22/7 is roughly 3.14...)

Though of course pi doesn't stop after the 4, so strictly today is more Piece Of Pi day :D

Annika L
Mar 14, 2011, 5:24 PM
In the UK where we write our dates in a different order, Pi Day falls on July 22nd (22/7 is roughly 3.14...)

Though of course pi doesn't stop after the 4, so strictly today is more Piece Of Pi day :D

Yes, but 22/7 is only correct to two decimals. But on the date 3-14, somewhere between 1:59:26 and 1:59:27...just for a single instant, mind you...we hit pi right on the dot!

Hmmmm, and here I thought it was just Steak and Blow Job day......lol
Hugs Peg. :}
Yer Cat

Steak and Blow Job Day came from Pi Day, Cat, way back in Ancient Greece.

Since both πέος (penis) and πλάκαoκρέας (slab o' meat) both start with pi, they naturally developed as traditional things to eat in celebration of Pi Day.

S'now you know! :tong: