PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!: Japan hit with massive earthquake and tsunami!

12voltman59
Mar 11, 2011, 1:53 AM
This was an early report that had the quake at 7.4 http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/10/501364/main20041987.shtml--that number was increased to 8.8!!! which is simply one massive as all get out earthquake.

What is the death and destruction toll going to be in Japan??

justcurious4me
Mar 11, 2011, 2:31 AM
Yeah... We heard about it here in South Korea, but haven't seen any of the effects from it... Then again, we're on the west side of the Korean Peninsula. All is well... I do have several friends over in Tokyo... Hope they're okay... :)

DuckiesDarling
Mar 11, 2011, 2:48 AM
Sitting here reading the different bits of news and checking out pictures. It was a massive earthquake and that tsunami was incredible. The pictures I've seen show houses and boats being carried along on the wave. My heart goes out to the people in Japan and doubly so to the people from Japan that came to NZ to help out after the Christchurch quake and now have to go home and deal with more devastation.

sammie19
Mar 11, 2011, 4:52 AM
According to reports here it is now supposed to have been 8.9. That is huge and my heart goes out to all those caught by the horror of it all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

bullhead69
Mar 11, 2011, 9:00 AM
please, all of our west coast friends, hea for high ground!!!

morandi
Mar 11, 2011, 9:15 AM
Its coming your way guys! Right on the coast of calafornia! Be prepared and keep strong!

12voltman59
Mar 11, 2011, 9:31 AM
They are now saying a fairly large tsunami have hit some of the Hawaiian islands and now many parts of the US west coast are expected to get hit as well.

Watching the videos of the tsunami hitting that area of Japan was sure something---it looks to me that this area must HAVE BEEN a big agricultural area. All of those white things that got wiped out looked to either be some sort of fiberglass or metal structures over fields--or maybe a rigid plastic wrapping to shelter plants--I dare say whatever it is they grow there--that crop is gone. It was really scary watching people hauling ass in their cars and trucks as the waves were rushing in over the roads and the dwellings--that would have to be a nightmare like experience to be in the path of such a thing.

I do hope the death and injury toll in Japan will be a small one.

It is surely a shame that New Zealand was hit with a major earthquake recently as well---for one family in my area--they lost their 27 year old daughter in that quake who had been on a trip to see the sights down there---they found her body in one of the damaged buildings.

fredtyg
Mar 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
I'm right on the coast in the far north of California. This morning was the first time I heard the tsunami sirens go off. Lots of chatter on the local blogs about it but no real wave or damage to speak of, yet, and they're saying right now (as I write this) is when the bigger surges are supposed to hit.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 11, 2011, 2:50 PM
I just heard from a friend who was originally from Crescent City, CA. The tsnunami hit there pretty hard. He is still waiting to hear back from his sister who's work was in the evac zone.

So praying for all the people affected by the quake and everyone still in danger from tsunamis

12voltman59
Mar 11, 2011, 3:06 PM
Another downside of the earthquake is the danger it poses to many of the nuclear power plants in Japan and the quake has caused damage at refineries and other industrial facilities.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-11/cosmo-oil-refinery-set-on-fire-nuclear-power-reactors-shut-by-earthquake.html

fredtyg
Mar 11, 2011, 3:50 PM
I just heard from a friend who was originally from Crescent City, CA. The tsnunami hit there pretty hard.

Crescent City is about 80 miles north of us. This isn't their first time. They got hit back in the 60s by a tsunami generated by the big Alaska quake back then.

tenni
Mar 11, 2011, 5:40 PM
The Japanese Ambassador to Canada was just on CBCnewsworld. He stated that the coolant stopped circulating in one nuclear reactor and water vapour built up. They have evacuated people near the reactor and released the radioactive water vapour. He said that it should be ok. The newsman questioned whether the water vapour might travel to the west coast of Canada. It is possible but unlikely.

On another point, the tsunami sirens went off on Vancouver Island. I saw the signs along roads declaring certain areas as tsunami zones when I was there a couple of years ago. Although the water levels were up a bit and the wave action was apparently wild in Tofino, on the west side of Vancouver island, it seems that there has been no damage.

Reports of over a thousand dead have already been reported?

fredtyg
Mar 11, 2011, 5:52 PM
Speaking of Crescent City, you can go here (http://kymkemp.com/) to see a video of today's tsunami. It's not of the harbor itself (word is all their docks were destroyed) and rather dull, imo. Just below that one is a pretty neat video of the tsunami surge going up the Mad River. The Mad River is maybe 12 mile north of where I live.

You'll need to scroll down to find both videos.

12voltman59
Mar 12, 2011, 1:04 AM
As a boater--it hurt me to see some of those nice boats in that one marina that got all messed up in some fashion with some sinking, some smashed against bridge pilings or seawalls!!

That is the only thing I worry about with my boat----as long as the docks are fine the boat is fine--but if the docks get messed up---then the boats go with them!!

I am sure that those boats that were messed up are insured---but that is a problem of sorts since insurance companies have to pay off for those boats--the cost of that ripples on through the rest of the boat insurance sector--meaning---open the wallet some more---your premiums may go up!!!

But they do have a saying about what the letters of the word boat mean: BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand!!! :eek::eek::bigrin:

void()
Mar 12, 2011, 6:09 AM
The Japanese Ambassador to Canada was just on CBCnewsworld. He stated that the coolant stopped circulating in one nuclear reactor and water vapour built up. They have evacuated people near the reactor and released the radioactive water vapour. He said that it should be ok. The newsman questioned whether the water vapour might travel to the west coast of Canada. It is possible but unlikely.

On another point, the tsunami sirens went off on Vancouver Island. I saw the signs along roads declaring certain areas as tsunami zones when I was there a couple of years ago. Although the water levels were up a bit and the wave action was apparently wild in Tofino, on the west side of Vancouver island, it seems that there has been no damage.

Reports of over a thousand dead have already been reported?

Correct on the mortality rate, also on the power plant. I'm sure you're plugged into media by now. Wonder how long before rebuilding starts. Not to sound crass, just understand the Japanese mindset, they'll rebuild asap. After rebuilding they will mourn and reflect, learn and build better.

Hephaestion
Mar 12, 2011, 6:50 AM
12 Mar 2011 1000hrs GMT - dead 1k3 and expected to rise.

justcurious4me
Mar 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hey Guys and Gals... I just wanted to check in with you all and let you all know how things are going here on the other side of the Sea of Japan... We've been on standby since the whole Japan quake hit... Still a possibility of us here getting into the humanitarian mission and also taking on evacuees in the event that the Armed Forces decides to move people out of their bases there...

We're all alive and kickin' though... South Korea experienced none of the tsunami effects as the mainland of Japan pretty much shielded us from it. My parents in the San Francisco area saw and felt more than we did here with the Crescent City wave. It's wierd... They felt the earthquake clear out to Bejing, China from what we heard, but we didn't feel a thing here, and we're half way between the two... We're very concerned with the possibility of a double mentdown here as well as on mainland Japan... Just remember, when Chernobyl happened, radiation spiked across a 50,000 sq mile area going into Europe. If that occurs here, it could hit just about the entire orient.

My hearts and prayers go out to my 30+ friends and families currently serving at both Yakota and Misawa Air Bases, as well as the millions of others that are there on the mainland. May they remain safe and strong through this trying crisis that we are seeing unfold.

Hephaestion
Mar 13, 2011, 5:09 PM
12 Mar 2011 1000hrs GMT - dead 1k3 and expected to rise.

13 Mar 2011 1700hrs GMT - 10k missing BBC news

Hephaestion
Mar 17, 2011, 5:56 AM
17 Mar 2011 - 0900hrs BBC: 5k found dead, another 10k still missing