PDA

View Full Version : ohhh darkeyes... or any other uk'ers

Long Duck Dong
Feb 18, 2011, 7:42 AM
need more info about this.... are they serious... or is it just election year in the uk ????

The Coalition Government has announced the first steps towards proper marriage equality in the UK, taking gender out of the equation.

The LGBT equality minister, Lib Dem Lynne Featherstone MP, blogged this morning that the government has: “identified a real desire to move forwards to equal civil marriage and partnerships, and will be consulting further as to how legislation can develop, working with all those who have an interest in the area.

“Over recent months I have spoken to many LGB&T people and campaign groups, and it quickly became clear that there is a real desire to address the differences between civil marriage and civil partnerships. I have always been completely clear that equal rights means exactly that – the same rights not different rights. So I am very, very pleased to be able to announce that we are going to be the first British government to formally look at what steps can be taken to address this.”

darkeyes
Feb 18, 2011, 8:06 AM
need more info about this.... are they serious... or is it just election year in the uk ????

The Coalition Government has announced the first steps towards proper marriage equality in the UK, taking gender out of the equation.

The LGBT equality minister, Lib Dem Lynne Featherstone MP, blogged this morning that the government has: “identified a real desire to move forwards to equal civil marriage and partnerships, and will be consulting further as to how legislation can develop, working with all those who have an interest in the area.

“Over recent months I have spoken to many LGB&T people and campaign groups, and it quickly became clear that there is a real desire to address the differences between civil marriage and civil partnerships. I have always been completely clear that equal rights means exactly that – the same rights not different rights. So I am very, very pleased to be able to announce that we are going to be the first British government to formally look at what steps can be taken to address this.”

What they propose Duckie is an enabling bill which will give religious institutions the ability should they so wish to conduct civil partnership ceremonies in their places of worship in accord with the religious beliefs of those wishing to enter a union. It is not to be marriage but same sex unions will still be referred to in law as civil parnerships. Religious bodies may refuse, as the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church will, and other bodies, to conduct any same sex ceremonies. Some religious bodies have already said they would accept gladly this change in the law.. the Society of Friends for instance and some Jewish radical synagogues.

I welcome this change as overdue, but still as a same sex couple, we will not be considered in law, a married couple. That, for all intents and purposes a same sex partnership will be exactly the same as a heterosexual marriage in law does not mean we are considered equal to such marriages.. we are still considered differently in that we are prevented from calling our marraige a marriage.. small point, but one which continues the second class nature of civil unions.. but if it passes into law it is yet another small step to our walk into the light.

It isnt cut and dried.. mainstream churches and other religious bodies are already gearing up to try and kill the bill.. the fact that thhey cannot be compelled to hold a religious ceremony isnt apparently good enough for them.. they wish to stop any religious body which isnt so blinkered and closed minded from doing so either.. if they had their way there would be no civil unions.. large numbers of Tory MPs are aslo working up to creating hell over the bill and it isnt guaranteed to pass the Commons. In the Lords the Church of England already has a headstart of 26 who are automatically opposed and large numbers of Tory backwoodsmen who may yet kill any bill. I do expect it to pass but not without a fight.

The legislation will only affect England and Wales (I'm not sure about Northern Ireland) as such legislation for Scotland is the in remit of the Scottish Parliament. I dont know yet what their view is likely to be but there is an election this May for that body, and I doubt much will happen until the new Scottish Parliament is sworn in. As far as I know no Scottish political party has said anything about it but we'll see..

Hope it helps Duckie darling.

Long Duck Dong
Feb 18, 2011, 9:50 AM
yeah I thought so...... the two different things are connected... lol... over here in sheep shagger land, they were presented as two different on going concerns......

what i posted, read to me as the uk change the law so same gender marriage was going to be equal to the current marriage........

dafydd
Feb 18, 2011, 1:54 PM
for those interested a group has formed which is taking the UK government to the European Court of Human Rights over what it calls sexual apartheid in not allowing gay couples to get married or straight couples to have a civil partnership
http://equallove.org.uk/

d

bigbadmax
Feb 18, 2011, 2:45 PM
Mis-read this initially thought it read "uckers" which is the RN name for Ludo.

Unfortunately the only denominations reportedly to take this up would be quakers and certain jewish groups.

No matter what is said, religion is stil very devisive in the uk.

softfruit
Feb 18, 2011, 3:13 PM
It means opening up Civil Partnerships (same-sex only) to be also held in churches and other religious venues which are specifically banned under the 2005 legislations. Initially only a few churches might opt to allow civil partnerships on their premises but I think over time that will grow

Further that the left-right coalition government are working toward same-sex marriage and mixed-sex civil partnerships (in the UK such changes are preceeded by consultation periods during which either side of the debate seeks to change the initial proposal). That would also put an end to the current situation where if one of a married or CP'ed couple legally changes sex they first have to divorce, it doesn't affect many people but is causing lots of cost, paperwork and heartache for those whom it does impact.

More : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equal-Marriage-in-the-UK/112555052152887