PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

tenni
Feb 2, 2011, 1:13 PM
Norwegian parliamentarian Snorre Valen said WikiLeaks was “one of the most important contributors to freedom of speech and transparency” in the 21st century. “By disclosing information about corruption, human rights abuses and war crimes, WikiLeaks is a natural contender for the Nobel Peace Prize,” Valen said.

Awarding WikiLeaks the prize would be likely to provoke criticism of the Nobel Committee, which has courted controversy with its two most recent choices, jailed Chinese pro-democracy activist Liu Xiaobo and U.S. President Barack Obama a few months after his election.

Your thoughts and opinions?

12voltman59
Feb 2, 2011, 2:12 PM
I am sure that like in the general population, we have our share of folks here who feel that WikiLeaks and what they do is a bad thing---publishing the "secrets" of governments, corporations and individuals with some degree of power.

The thing is--WikiLeaks itself does not gather the information they post, they merely publish material that someone else has provided, in some cases some investigative independent reporters who could not find some other source to publish the information or most commonly---an insider in an organization, often referred to as "a whistleblower" who feels that such information does need to be made public.

I do feel that for the most part---it is a very good thing that there is an entity like WikiLeaks that will perform this sort of service, because even though government or private bureaucracies may not like for their sensitive information to be disclosed, from my work in journalism, I do hold to the notion that "the best antiseptic is sunshine" when it comes to the way governments, companies, politicians and others try do to their thing.

The one thing, in the case of those cables, emails and other "documents" released by WikiLeaks relating to our current wars--I do wish that when it comes to those operating in dangerous places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and such---they would have redacted the names of those who are on the ground trying to work towards countering what groups like Al-Qaeda and the Taliban are up to. The disclosure of the names of those people surely does put them in even more danger than they already had been.

I do find it pretty much a chilling prospect that some of this material makes it very clear---our military specifically targeted the offices and personnel of the Arab news network Al Jazzerra by blowing up their offices and killing their journalists---even if our powers that be may not like a lot of the things that Al Jazzera had been reporting on in the early days of our actions in Iraq and elsewhere--they still are a legitimate news organization trying to do its work.

When it comes to Julian Assange, one of the principles of WikiLeaks--he may not seem to be the most likable person---but from what I have gathered about the sexual assault charges facing him in Sweden---they seem rather specious and they do sort of smell of an attempt to both discredit and silence him by whatever forces there are out there who wish to see what WikiLeaks does either stop or at least is discredited in the minds of most people--it really does seem to be a case of disinformation in action by some entities and as such--is BOGUS!!!

darkeyes
Feb 2, 2011, 5:55 PM
Hmmm.. not too sure about this one.. it is at least as worthy a nomination as Obama's award was, more worthy in my opinion, yet I am going to take time to think this one through.. it has much merit, but whether it has enough merit is arguable.. I think Obama's award devalued the prize in any case, but as a contribution to Peace I think that for me at this stage there are too many awkward questions which need answering.. and Julian Assange's status as a fugitive from Swedish justice is NOT one of them.. whether or not he did the deeds of which he is accused I cannot say any more than anyone else, but I do agree with Voltie's analysis that it stinks..

DuckiesDarling
Feb 2, 2011, 6:04 PM
Hmmm.. not too sure about this one.. it is at least as worthy a nomination as Obama's award was, more worthy in my opinion, yet I am going to take time to think this one through.. it has much merit, but whether it has enough merit is arguable.. I think Obama's award devalued the prize in any case, but as a contribution to Peace I think that for me at this stage there are too many awkward questions which need answering.. and Julian Assange's status as a fugitive from Swedish justice is NOT one of them.. whether or not he did the deeds of which he is accused I cannot say any more than anyone else, but I do agree with Voltie's analysis that it stinks..

I think hell has frozen over, I agree Fran. I didn't like it that Obama was nominated let alone won when we were still at war and peace was still a prize to seek. The Nobel Peace Prize at this point has become devalued, it's kinda like finding out the new best Olympian was doped on steroids, it takes away the awe and glory and leaves you with a "should have known" feeling. Wikileaks has done some good with some things but I don't think it was ever done in the name of peace, it was done to get 15 minutes of fame.

darkeyes
Feb 2, 2011, 6:22 PM
I dont think you do something on the scale of Wikileaks and its revelations for 15 minutes of fame.. Assange has a deep rooted suspicion of governments and their hypocrisies and lies, of big biz and theirs.. and is doing what he can to expose it and wikileaks is his instrument.. and how he and it has.. what he has done he believes he is doing for the betterment of good governance and diplomacy, and to make the people of the world aware of the double dealing done in their name.. I have no doubt it is a good thing, others of course disagree.. yet at this stage I am unsure it can be called a great contribution to peace.. I think a little more time is needed before that can be seen to be true or otherwise.. at least in my eyes..:)

DuckiesDarling
Feb 2, 2011, 6:27 PM
Funny, though Fran, he's begging Australia to save him and PM Julia Gillard basically said no. That there was a difference between Watergate and leaking the documents. That he just through the information out there with no regard for any consequences not just to nations and relations but to individual people that have been hurt by this.

Does Wikileaks have a place in this world? Yes, but there has to come a bit of responsibility with the power they are given.

Did Assange rape those girls? Swedish law is kinda screwy so so in the end he was charged, he just needs to answer the charges. It's funny he fights to stay in Britain but he would be sooner exported to the US from Britain than from Sweden.

void()
Feb 2, 2011, 7:34 PM
In my opinion:

Scrutinizing governments and big business to uphold fairness and equality, is good.

Not being responsible in such a critical gesture is not good.

Do I feel Wikileaks warrants and or merits a Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes, as they at least forged a path inward to the proverbial heart of darkness. But I also agree they ought to be more responsible in handling the information they publish.

On a side note, I still have mates in various portions of military service. There are mates whom are in highly concealed positions, doing highly questionable acts for a greater good. There are some who simply push brooms all day at a base in the United States. Some exist as U.S. soldiers, others are soldiers with other nations.

I communicate with some of these mates at various random times. We do not discuss things directly, nor do we risk compromising anything or anyone. The communication is done via open clear cipher, through various assorted web sites open to the public. By clear cipher, I mean a cipher only we know how to translate and decrypt. And we even have a code within that which lets us 'scramble' further if needed.

I knew two nights ago of extractions which were to happen, and are now in the news. I knew about a year beforehand about the drug cartel wars in Mexico. It was no surprise to me when they started, I had been told of actions that would prompt a 'green light' for an incursion. And these actions 'played out', mates ask for advice up to one week prior to the operation proceeding. We spoke of strategy like a chess game.

The point being, if someone like Wikileaks were to intercept or know of such, it would jeopardize lives. The lives would not only be soldiers. Civilians, and even innocents would die. As it is my mates and me do consider what is often called 'collateral damage'. We seek to minimize that to as close to nil as possible. No action will be nil, that is just a given. It is scary if you get a nil action, real scary. So, we strive to be as close as able.

Someone tossing about info freely could destroy that. So, yes they are times when subterfuge or plain out no comment are needed. Darkness does serve to bring light at times. Ignorance creates wisdom. Some of my mates have that as stock and trade, I used to as well. We delivered what was said to not be accomplish able, nothing short at times of turning water to wine. That requires delicacy, not loose bulls in china shops.

So, I applaud Wikileaks for going forward while admonishing them and those like them to be more responsible. Mixed opinion from a spec of dust.

darkeyes
Feb 2, 2011, 7:52 PM
Funny thing bout actin responsibly Voidie is who decides wot is responsible? By so acting they could then be accused of censorship themselves or selective release of information for their own ends.. unless they provide total release of their cache without fear or favour how can we tell? Even by removing names from documents, this too is a form of censorship, possibly a justifiable form in many cases I agree, but in at least in some cases it could be argued both unnecessary and undesirable and arguably again done for Wikileaks own ends and indeed they could be accused of having bowed to pressure from the very states and organisations whose hypocrisy and lies they seek to expose and end.. in time even be accused of being the tool of those states and organisations..

I too applaud Wikileaks for what I think is an honourable and necessary service to humankind.. whether we can yet say that it is deserving of the Peace Prize is arguable at this time.. sometimes when it has been awarded my jaw has dropped in astonishment as it did when Obama received his.. simply because it is there as a prize to be won does not in itself mean that it is necessary to award it should there be no one worthy of its receipt.. I am not saying Wikleaks is not worthy of the honour.. I am saying at this time the jury is out..

Long Duck Dong
Feb 2, 2011, 8:13 PM
using a military stance..... I hold assange and the us government both responsible....

insecure document storage and monitoring is something that wikileaks can not be responsible for..... its like blaming a burglar cos I left my house unsecured....
so the us can bitch all they want about wikileaks... but wikileaks did not hack some data base or crack some 128 byte rerouted binary encryption...

it was a failure from within the usas own security network.... that is something they need to be responsible for.....

wikileaks offered the usa the chance to inspect the documents and check if names needed to be removed before they were released and there are conflicting stories that yes the usa reviewed them, no they refused to.... etc etc etc.... who the fuck really knows......

wikileaks and the usa both need to take responsibility for revealing names of people involved in high risk security areas such as military hi vis / hi rk areas
( high visibility / high risk )

is it censorship.... yes and no... but.... we always have rights to privacy as people are quick to talk about when its their own ass hung out on the clothesline for all to see, perv at and run screaming.....

either way..... its a simple case of corrupt people will lie than scream foul when the truth comes out...... and if wikileaks is worthy of a nobel peace prize, then why is bradley mannering not getting one.... cos without him wikileaks would not have the info they did.......

even in honouring people, there is a agenda.....

void()
Feb 2, 2011, 10:31 PM
"in time even be accused of being the tool of those states and organisations.. "

Quite a possibility, one to consider. And perhaps, they already were.

"even in honouring people, there is a agenda..."

Agreed on that. Also agree on the security issue. Leave the hen house open, foxes aren't to blame.

Much to consider while sleeping. Hopefully, such will distract from some nightmares that are unrelated. All I'll say here is the nightmares are explicit and startle me a little, not one to frighten easily. And yes, I've spoken with someone about them and not kept contained. They don't know specifics but understand my concerns. Well, off I go. Must rest.

Hephaestion
Feb 3, 2011, 8:48 AM
WikiLeaks deserves formal appreciation and applause without a shadow of a doubt. Whether the Nobel Prize for "Peace" is the correct venue is open to debate. Regardless, that WikiLeaks has made its way into historical record is in itself acclaim enough.

As others it is felt that the accusations in Sweden are nothing more than a convenient smear campaign.

As criminal acts appear not to have an expiry date (contrary to what the entertainment industry tells) then what would happen if the sex partner of yesteryear turns up and says in a change of heart 'no it was not a mutual agreement - you raped me'. Should one therefore get a signed and witnessed document for each and every act in an encounter?

"On this day of the DD MMM YYYY We the undersigned agree to participate in the following sex acts for our mutual pleasure... this agreement shall have validity for a duraiton of xx minutes / hrs / days / years (delete as appropriate)"

Should the witness(es) remain present to referee so as to make sure that one does not exceed licence? What happens if the repertoire needs expanding? The paper work must obviously be replicated as needed and then stored indefinitely

One wonders if the recent 'revelations' about Palestinian leadership are not also a convenient smear campaign; if so then someone appears to be emulating WikiLeaks to misinform. In any case it may be said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

12voltman59
Feb 3, 2011, 12:41 PM
When it comes to the current state of the Nobel Peace Prize--I do agree with others---I think the Nobel organization has discredited and devalued the prize by some of their recent selections--it doesn't often seem to done by any sort of objective standards anymore---they pretty much do it on a purely subjective basis based on some whim it seems.

I had to question giving it to Obama a few years ago---the man had just assumed the presidency and it was way the hell to early to give any sort of objective assessment of his performance--that was very much a nonsensical award even though I sorta like Obama, at least enough to admittedly I voted for him in 2008 and most likely---will have to vote for him next year since I am sure that with the Republican Party going off the deep end--there is no way in hell I will ever be able to vote for a Republican candidate again for anything. I doubt the current iteration of the Republican Party is going to give us a reasonable presidential candidate in 2012.

I don't think that WikiLeaks deserves a Nobel Peace Prize and hope the Nobel prize committee doesn't award it to WikiLeaks--they ought to give another one to someone like Aung San Suu Kyi since she is someone truly fighting on the front lines for freedom and justice for the people her nation, the nation of BURMA!!!!! There are plenty of people all over the world like Suu Kyi who are fighting the good fight to work towards trying to achieve some measure of freedom and justice for their people and by extension--all of humanity.

While WikiLeaks is doing some good I think, but what they do does not rise to the level of deserving a Nobel Peace prize, at least in my opinion.

darkeyes
Feb 3, 2011, 3:26 PM
I don't think that WikiLeaks deserves a Nobel Peace Prize and hope the Nobel prize committee doesn't award it to WikiLeaks--they ought to give another one to someone like Aung San Suu Kyi since she is someone truly fighting on the front lines for freedom and justice for the people her nation, the nation of BURMA!!!!! There are plenty of people all over the world like Suu Kyi who are fighting the good fight to work towards trying to achieve some measure of freedom and justice for their people and by extension--all of humanity.

You wont get any argument from me on Aung San Suu Kyi... a true peacemaker who will not resort to violence to achieve her ends..

..and Wikileaks?? They may or may not deserve the peace prize.. but I would not hesitate to award them Fran's Gold Medal for exposing hypocrisy, lies deceit and avarice among the great and the "good" of our world.. the Noble Truth Prize if you like..:)

tenni
Feb 3, 2011, 7:45 PM
Thanks for your opinions so far. I think that when we look at others who have won a Nobel Peace prize in the past, I would tend to agree that I understood what they were doing to support peace in the world. I can see the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize as just for the organization wanting to rid/ban/remove the world of anti personal mines. A few governments didn't sign that treaty. They wouldn't agree that organization deserved the Nobel prize. The UN won in 2001. Not all would agree that the UN works towards peace in the world.

Maybe, our world is changing so that it is getting more difficult to determine where the truth is today? Is the lack of government transparency worse today? Arguments about Wikileaks endangering people's lives seem basically without evidence. We can not determine if Wikileaks is putting someone's life in danger because of the cloak of secrecy and lack of transparency. People were expected to believe that Iraq had WMD because a government said so. People were told to believe that the US didn't keep track of Iraqi civilian deaths and wikileaks shows us that was a lie. It will be interesting to see if Wikileaks gets the Nobel Peace prize. I suspect that someone/thing else will get it but time will tell.