PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

AidanS57
Jan 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Since my girl finally said yes, I need a ring. I have been looking around but she's not being helpful. I have never wanted to buy anyone an engagement ring and the choices are endless it seems. Yet all she will tell me is "diamonds are gauche" so a little help guys, what rings did you get your significant other. I want something that says how special she is to me but the only hint I get from her is that she doesn't like diamonds...odd that's her birthstone.

loveinit
Jan 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hi, Aidan. I have worn my engagement ring along with my wedding band for 21 years. Since an engagement ring is supposed to be worn and treasured forever, not to mention usually a costly investment, I would ask her again for some input. Ask her what her favorite stone/gem is and if she prefers white gold, gold, silver, etc. as a setting (you should also know her ring size). Remind her you want her to love it and wear it forever. She probably does not realize that buying an engagement ring can be a stressful ordeal for a guy. Good luck and congratulations!

DuckiesDarling
Jan 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
Oh Aidan, that's wonderful hon. As for a ring, well some women actually don't like diamonds but they crave the rich colors of rubies, emeralds, sapphires and other colored stones. Just ask her and I'm sure she'll give you some more input. Congratulations, hon to both you and your lady.

Realist
Jan 15, 2011, 2:17 PM
This is no mean feat, Aiden!

It's gonna take some forethought and intellect to pull this one off! This may very well affect everything that happens from now-on!

For my ex, I bought an antique ring from an old, much-admired, friend of hers. I had a jeweler restore it to like-new condition. It was an ornate, but not gaudy, engraved gold band....no stone.

When I asked her to marry me and opened the case, she began crying.

I thought, "Aw shit, I've screwed up!"

Then she said she loved it and agreed to set a date....it turned out to be one of my coolest moves.

Good luck with this one!

lokione
Jan 15, 2011, 3:10 PM
Custom made Platinum with a purple sapphire... It was lovely.

the sacred night
Jan 15, 2011, 7:03 PM
My ex fiance got me an emerald in white gold (although I'd asked for silver). I didn't want anything too expensive because I'm not a jewelry person. It was really just having something around that reminded me of him all the time, it made me feel connected :)

AidanS57
Jan 15, 2011, 7:42 PM
Thanks guys, we may have found something today. We'll see when we get the finished product.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 16, 2011, 2:20 AM
Go to a reputable jeweler and see if they have the Duo rings...they have two hearts in it and can be gotten in yours, and hers birthstones. :} Those are Really nice. Just a suggestion. :}
Cat, not very romantic...lol:bigrin: