PDA

View Full Version : Songs that raise a lump in the throat and bring a tear to the eye!

12voltman59
Dec 18, 2010, 7:44 AM
I was up going through Facebook and saw a comment by a musical artist I follow---she had talked of taking a walk in the woods with the snow falling, having a cup of tea and listening to a song that always makes her cry for reasons she cannot understand.

I know that I have such songs that do that to me, and as I said in a comment reply--they don't always have to be "downer songs"---but with this song---I don't know if it is possible to not tear up when you hear it---it is so bittersweet and powerful.

I have recently become a fan of a really awesome and rather new to the scene bluegrass band called the SteelDrivers.

They have a song on their first CD called "Sticks that Made Thunder."

It is such a haunting song--told from the perspective of a great and grand tree watching one of the many bloody battles of the American Civil War.

Here is a link to a video that someone did using the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUJPAG0ns8

Hope ya like---and feel free to share songs that make you do a "Bohener" (getting all weepy like our soon to be US House Speaker, John Bohener seems to like to do)

His name is pronounced "Bayn-ner"--not boner, by the way

Realist
Dec 18, 2010, 9:04 AM
Haunting tune, Volty!

The Bluegrass tunes remind me of Irish folk songs and, to me, they have a nostalgic, sadly-moody, message to convey.
Living in Kentucky for 30 years, it was difficult not to know someone who wasn't a fan of, or who didn't play Bluegrass music. I also had family in Alabama, who used to congregate with other players and play into the night.

Funny, I've never been a big fan, but have many memories are generated by certain Bluegrass tunes. Actually, many different tunes and songs bring back visions of things in my past......both good and bad.

Thanks for that!

by~his~side
Dec 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
Celebrate Me Home.....by Kenny Loggins

Reminds me of my dad.
This will be our 6th holiday without him.
It just doesn't get any easier.

~D~

Actually, I'm not even sure if you asked for others to post their songs.
But I'm posting my song anyway. :)

llllllllll
Dec 18, 2010, 5:12 PM
"Happy Birthday" always gets me weepy eyed,especially the older I get :tong:

WolfKing
Dec 18, 2010, 5:13 PM
I could think of a few, but in the Holiday Spirit, I'd have to say Old City Bar is one of the most heartwarming songs I've ever heard...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0vPtboZIw

DuckiesDarling
Dec 18, 2010, 6:23 PM
I have several that as things chance in my life come to mean more and more to me. Some that you thought were just a great song when they came out like Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting for You", now that I am ocean's apart from my love it speaks to me a bit more now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLi_osYNsOU

bizel
Dec 18, 2010, 6:56 PM
Celebrate Me Home.....by Kenny Loggins

Reminds me of my dad.
This will be our 6th holiday without him.
It just doesn't get any easier.

~D~

Actually, I'm not even sure if you asked for others to post their songs.
But I'm posting my song anyway. :)

hi ~D~, warm big hug. loss of loved ones really suck!

Realist
Dec 18, 2010, 7:28 PM
Just thought of more:

Auld Lang Syne

Greensleeves

Danny Boy

Bridge over Troubled Water

Dream lover, by Bobby Darin

Amazing Grace, by Judy Collins, or bag pipes

silberwolf1960
Dec 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
All Gave Some
Amazing Grace done on the pipes
Courtesy of the Red,White and Blue
Taps definitly

eddy10
Dec 18, 2010, 11:59 PM
Star Spangled Banner always does it to me. Of course, I am an old retired military guy.

Hephaestion
Dec 19, 2010, 5:20 AM
Excellent choice Volty. One more group to add to my list to explore.

So many tear jerkers out there that one needs to wear a raincoat to listen to music nowadays.
Took ages before I could listen to ABBA's "Knowing Me Knowing You"

Realist
Dec 19, 2010, 7:46 AM
Definitely National Anthems! American, British, French, German, stir me.

I agree...........Taps, especially played at solemn events.

Hephaestion
Dec 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Definitely National Anthems! American, British, French, German, stir me.

I agree...........Taps, especially played at solemn events.

The British National Anthem stirs you? Thank you for your diplomatic kindndess.

Daviecurious
Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
America The Beautiful, sung by Ray Charles. Especially the 'long' version. Which I can't find a copy of.

darkeyes
Dec 19, 2010, 1:07 PM
The British National Anthem stirs you? Thank you for your diplomatic kindndess.

*Boaks an makes max effort 2 avoid Heph...*

darkeyes
Dec 19, 2010, 1:16 PM
2 moren ne.. both by same artist.. Linda Ronstadt.. for kate.. Long Long Time.. an for notha lil yummie who shall remain nameless.. White Rythm and Blues...

..an course for the footie..

Hearts, Hearts, glorious Hearts
Its down at Tynecastle they play
The boys in maroon are the best in the toon
And Auld Reekie supports them wi' pride... :bigrin:

Hephaestion
Dec 19, 2010, 5:46 PM
*Boaks an makes max effort 2 avoid Heph...*

Read between the lines dear heart. What have we been told about diplomacy recently - one says one thing and means another.

Everyone hates the National dirge and would sooner see it replaced with the Archers theme tune as recommended by the Big Yin fella. What may be needed to tip the scales is words.

cddm50
Dec 19, 2010, 5:48 PM
For anyone that never had a relationship with their father but wish they had...

Eric Clapton, My Father's Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigRv6B763k

Lucky for me I have a loving dad (still alive) and we have a great relationship. Still this song is so moving I can't help to feel how important a relationship is between a father & son (or daughter) as a part of growing up.

12voltman59
Dec 19, 2010, 6:03 PM
I agree with Silber about Amazing Grace---for some reason--that song--done just about in any fashion gets me every time I hear it.

I have heard it many times done on the pipes which is a very stirring way to hear it to be sure, have heard it done both in jazzy and bluesy styles, done bluegrass style complete with guitars, banjos, fiddles, upright bass and mandolin and of course---merely sung without musical accompaniment by singers with lovely voices. I like it done uptempo or down.

Perhaps the most moving way it was done--I saw Dr. Ralph Stanley--one of the living greats of modern bluegrass do it in the way it was done ages ago in the mountains by preachers----where he sang a verse then the audience sings the verse back in response. It was very moving to have the experience of an audience in a performance hall doing that---I can tell ya---when the song was done---it was only those with a thick hide or a hard heart that didn't have tears in their eyes.

Here is a youtube vid of this--even though it loses something to see it as just a stand alone piece like this---by the time he gets to that point in the concert---you are in a certain mood anyway so that it has the effect it does on people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5rH4AXrE4

Realist
Dec 19, 2010, 10:42 PM
Grandmother was from Staffordshire, Hep....gotta have feelings for the Brits!

Anybody like Constant Craving, by K.D. Lang?

cddm50
Dec 19, 2010, 11:22 PM
Constant Craving was one of K.D.'s best songs though it doesn't move me like some other songs do.

Guess everyone has select songs that mean something only to them though there are songs that will hit the emotional note for a wide group of people.

When I heard Fields of Gold by Sting I loved the song. Then I heard it redone by Eva Cassidy. Wow even better. She also did a cover of Songbird, very haunting. She truly had a voice that could pierce your soul. Unfortunately she passed from cancer in '96.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwDYBWEDSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjjRz0TEUk

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Dec 20, 2010, 12:26 AM
I cant listen to Return to Pooh Corner without my throat closing up, and Jim Croce's Photographs and Memories can make me have to leave the room...depending on the hormoan level. lol

Time in a Bottle.
Some Gave All
Cowboy Troy's Somebodys smilin on me.
God Bless the USA
Taps kills me...
And Amazing Grace on the Bagpipes off somewhere in the dark is a Very haunting melody..
Cat

Hephaestion
Dec 20, 2010, 4:03 AM
Grandmother was from Staffordshire, Hep....gotta have feelings for the Brits!

Anybody like Constant Craving, by K.D. Lang?

Please do have feelings for us Brits Realist. Let it be sympathy for our terrible national anthem. Never mind the droning depressing tune (apparently Lichtenstein also uses it - a country small enough for a single fart to be heard and blessed at national level) the words are so sycophantic and hypocritical. While encouraging brotherly love elsewhere it says in verse 6

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

The comedian Billy Connolly suggested "the Archers" Radio program(me) vivacious theme tune as being more suitable - itself a kitchen sink drama with bad accents and about nothing in particular (we await the promised seismic episode on Jan 02 2011).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeIEovjOVdI

repmaaa
Dec 20, 2010, 5:18 AM
wedding songs!

darkeyes
Dec 20, 2010, 5:29 AM
Please do have feelings for us Brits Realist. Let it be sympathy for our terrible national anthem. Never mind the droning depressing tune (apparently Lichtenstein also uses it - a country small enough for a single fart to be heard and blessed at national level) the words are so sycophantic and hypocritical. While encouraging brotherly love elsewhere it says in verse 6

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

The comedian Billy Connolly suggested "the Archers" Radio program(me) vivacious theme tune as being more suitable - itself a kitchen sink drama with bad accents and about nothing in particular (we await the promised seismic episode on Jan 02 2011).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeIEovjOVdI

Neva hear it played much north a the border even cos it gets so much stick even when SHE is in attendance or ne of 'er lil parashites.. in Scotland we use Flower of Scotland as our national anthem but it's a dirge in itself.. but at east it duz hav the savin grace of soundin gud wenyas had a few or in folk clubs.. its tadge 2 nationalist for me an dusn stir the cockles of me heart.. much 2 the chagrin of all me m8s who giv it laldy wenever they hear it...

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

The Hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves
lie thick and still,
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

0 Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

Quite dreadful.. innit?

Hephaestion
Dec 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
Love it and will use it whenever possible - parashites (sic).

Rough Trade
Dec 20, 2010, 1:00 PM
If this doesn't make you cry, nothing will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGECiLJo2LU

open2both
Dec 20, 2010, 1:53 PM
Ok, two...
10 WORDS by Joe Satriani. It's an instrumental and beautiful
DESPERADOS WAITING FOR A TRAIN by The Highwaymen. Sob every time.

Billys_gurl
Dec 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
Mine are:

Butterfly Kisses. I cry at the verse of her Daddy watching her in the Bride room.

Don't Take The Girl. When she dies in childbirth and he hits his knees and prays.

The Rose. One of my Grandfathers LOVED this song.
Amazing Grace. My other Grandfathers favorite.
Unlikely Angel. It was our wedding song. We never got to dance to it though.