PDA

View Full Version : Any audio techies out there?

12voltman59
Apr 21, 2006, 5:53 PM
I am sure with the diverse talents of those who visit here--someone has experience working with audio recording equipment.

I do freelance print journalism but want to branch out into doing audio recording of interviews both for my own projects and for a non-profit organization that wants to put oral histories on their web site.

I want to purchase equipment for myself along with what the organization is considering purchasing.

For years I have used Sony microcassette recordings to record the interviews I do and that has been fine for taking back to my office where I write my pieces from notes and the tapes.

For the organization that I am going to do these interviews for and my own work-I need to be able to do editing and archiving of the material and at broadcast or near-broadcast quality sound.

Back in the mid-90's I did some volunteering for a local public radio station. They provided me with DAT equipment to do things, so I was used to it and figured that is what I would get, but I have learned thanks to my online research, that DAT is a dead medium.

I have also found that mini-discs is a current popular medium. NPR is using this format for their "Story Corp" series and it seems to work well.

My main question is: for broadcast quality sound and such---is minidisc a good medium?

Any help any knowledgable person could provide would be appreciated.....

swseattlecouple
Apr 21, 2006, 10:28 PM
undefinedundefined
As a freelance photojournalist, I often times find myself recording sound bites for various clients. I too used to have a micro-cassette recorder but the poor quality limited its use. I now use the Olympus WS-300m digital voice recorder,http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_vr_digitalrecorders.asp[/URL] , with great performance. It offers very high quality MP3 and WMA files which are recorded onto a compact flash card (the larger the card, the more files). It has a very sensative internal microphone or you can plug an external microphone into it if you choose. At about $105 you can make extremely high quality audio files to place onto your computer and edit as you wish.
Have fun! ;)
Rob