PDA

View Full Version : Leslie Nielsen has died aged 84

Long Duck Dong
Nov 28, 2010, 11:17 PM
one of the worlds greatest comedians has shared his last joke at the age of 84, due to complications from pneumonia, and with him, a unique form of humour is lost to the world.....

from airplane, to the naked gun, his sense of humour has brought many laughter and smiles, and now he joins other legends such as peter sellers, in the annuls of top class comedians

unlike comedians that try to be funny, leslie was funny, humorous and much loved for they way he could deliever lines that made us roll our eyes and hold our sides as we laughed.....

instead of tears of laughter, today there are tears of sadness as we bide farewell to a legend of laughter and smiles...

thank you leslie for being yourself and making us smile.......

weskain77
Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 PM
Noooo! :( I will truly miss him...

Flounder1967
Nov 29, 2010, 12:53 AM
He was very funny and great actor. He was also a great villian. He is missed already

DuckiesDarling
Nov 29, 2010, 1:46 AM
He was very funny even towards the end of his career when he wound up in less than desirable roles he made the most of it. I remember quite frankly just laughing my ass off at an overblown priest in "Repossessed".

I will continue to watch his movies and continue to smile and be thankful that such a gifted actor was allowed his time on this earth.

falcondfw
Nov 29, 2010, 2:20 AM
You can almost hear the laughter being sucked out of the world at his passing.
Truly a comedic great.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 29, 2010, 3:36 AM
He was fantastic in a Disney series called 'Swap Fox" that I loved as a kid.
RIP Leslie. Heaven has new laughter tonight.
Cat

DuckiesDarling
Nov 29, 2010, 4:45 AM
Yeah, Cat, Swamp Fox was a really cool show they showed it again on Disney night about 10 years ago and I loved it.

chuck1124
Nov 29, 2010, 6:25 AM
Yes, quite good actor. But I remember him more for this role in a science fiction classic, "Forbidden Planet". Its still a great movie, even 50 years later.

Hephaestion
Nov 29, 2010, 9:07 AM
Yes, quite good actor. But I remember him more for this role in a science fiction classic, "Forbidden Planet". Its still a great movie, even 50 years later.

100% agreed. Very good for its time. Leslie Nielsen a very handsome man in his youth.

Comedy much appreciated also.

Realist
Nov 29, 2010, 9:25 AM
Neilsen played a bad guy in several films, too. We've lost some great actors who could do both drama and comedy.

Jack Elam, who was a bad guy in many movies, played a renegade proctologist, in Cannonball Run...funny as hell!

Slim Pickins, who played a villain in western movies, was a great comedian, too. His scene in The Getaway, was excellent!

Who will ever take their places?

foreverbi
Nov 29, 2010, 9:37 AM
And who can forget "Surely you don't mean that. Yes I mean it & don't call me Shirley". We will miss you Leslie.;)

12voltman59
Nov 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
I "shirley" (uhh I mean surely) :bigrin: loved him in his later career---but he did start out his movie and TV career as a "serious" bit and later lead actor.

To me---one of his most memorable roles in his serious mode was as Commander John J. Adams, captain of the United Planets starship C-57D in the science fiction classic film: "The Forbidden Planet" that is so many ways was one of the seminal films of sci-fi with its use of major flim elements like using a classic movie soundscore, cribbing from Shakespeare for the basic story (The Tempest), the creation of "Robby the Robot" (which has become an iconic sci-fi fixture still in use to this day), using a major studio actor like Walter Pidgeon and introducing a young and "vivacious" Anne Francis who went on to her own successful Hollywood career--and one of the most clear things to come from this film---it no doubt influenced a young film production worker named Gene Roddenberry to later create his own sci-fi space based film work in the form of "Star Trek." So much of the original Trek was clearly cribbed from "Forbidden Planet" like the role of Captain James Tiberius Kirk as played by William Shatner.

No doubt, Leslie Nielsen will be missed. Another member of his generation of actors "bites the dust." Kinda sad to see them all going away----but such is life.

ubersmack
Nov 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thats a complete bummer. He was a hillarious entertainer.

ihavapa
Nov 29, 2010, 1:31 PM
Not only a very good comic, but he was also in some very dramatic roles too, does anyone remember the movie "The Forbidden Planet"? He was the captain of the ship, it was a very good movie and still a favorite of mine, a tragic loss.

DrBimind
Nov 29, 2010, 4:44 PM
RIP Leslie, you will "Shirley" be missed...Forbidden Planet was my introduction to quality sci-fi movies at an early age and Airplane and Naked Gun movies were the best of their kind...a very talented, humble and intelligent human being and he will be missed. :(

mikey3000
Nov 29, 2010, 7:58 PM
And people don't realize what an enviromentalist he really was, always taking time out of his day to admire all of God's creatures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyCL-ELRxg

Ahhh, Leslie, you'll be so missed my man.:(

Nadir
Nov 30, 2010, 7:09 AM
I learnt that he had passed away through the facebook status of a friend. I couldnt quite believe it until I read it on the newspaper... I think he is one of the few actors that have been able to make me laugh both when I was a child and as an adult (most of his films were regularly run on television in my country by the time I was born)... I will truly miss him, but as Cat says, heaven has new laughter tonight :) The thing about actors and actresses is that they live together in their movies.

_Joe_
Nov 30, 2010, 10:15 AM
Just bumped Police Squad to #1 in my netflix queue.

A dear family member of mine is in Hospice care starting this pass weekend, and here one of my favorite actors has passed away as well :/

I'll have to expose my kids to Leslie Nielsen. (gotta screen them first, I know Naked Gun wasn't exactly kid friendly)

http://www.impawards.com/1994/posters/naked_gun_three_ver1.jpg

How many of us remember who he's making a parody of there ^^

softfruit
Nov 30, 2010, 6:04 PM
I'm amazed the original post didn't end "I would have posted this sooner, but he wasn't dead then" :)