PDA

View Full Version : Ipad chat?

Bicuriousity
Nov 27, 2010, 12:01 AM
Is there anyway to chat on here with an IPAD. Im guessing the lack of java compatibility is the issue, but just wondering if someone found a work around. I can use yahoo im just fine with it.

falcondfw
Nov 27, 2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah. It is a Java chatroom. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you iPad/Mac users.
Now, if you can run Solaris on your machine or Linux in a dual boot mode with your Mac OS, then you might have something.

nudistharry
Nov 27, 2010, 2:48 AM
Apple won't approve a Java app for the iPhone or iPad. Wish they would so that I could do more things on my iPhone.

lizard-lix
Nov 27, 2010, 7:07 AM
Yep, Steve Jobs decided that Java is not important, so that means all those poor iPeople get screwed. The same for Flash video.

Good thing Jobs won his own election for official god of content, the rest of us might have voted differently...

Just say 'No' to iAnything!

Liz

(a geek who thinks iEverything is Emperor Jobs new clothes)

djones
Nov 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
While there is no full Java support for the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch (yet, maybe someday, maybe never), the Mac OS supports Java - plenty of us use our Macs in the chatroom here.

For my iPhone, I use Yahoo Messenger to chat.

slipnslide
Nov 27, 2010, 1:05 PM
Java's time on the client has come and gone. Anyone remember when Corel tried writing WordPerfect in Java? Haha, good times. On the server side though there's still a good use for it.

The end days for Flash are approaching too. I have already removed it from my systems because of the ridiculous number of security holes in it. Just in the last couple of months there's been a HUGE shift in the web. I rarely encounter a site I can't view because of Flash anymore. The devs are saying there's a lot of work right now from companies wanting Flash removed from their sites. The lack of iOS compatibility for some sites has meant loss of sales. . .so they're going HTML5 so they work everywhere.

Seems the idea of a plug-in architecture is finally dying and being replaced by native solutions in the client. Thankfully.

elian
Nov 27, 2010, 7:40 PM
I do not have an iPad or iPod or iPhone but I am glad he took a stand on the Flash video. HTML5 more or less supports video - developers just have to start using it and hopefully Jobs' restriction will help motivate companies that want to get their content on the iPad to do it.

I remember that I used to think eliminating the floppy drive from the iMac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBpXYI1r3Q) was a stupid idea - but it turned out to be pretty smart after a while.

(Still doesn't excuse the single button "puck" mouse..)

I would love to develop flash apps but Adobe's tools are like $2,000 to start, I like the idea of an alternative.

passionfire69
Nov 27, 2010, 8:03 PM
For Flash on the iPad:

It has to be jailbroken and then google for "frash" that will let you know the repository in Cydia that you have to add to be able to search for the frash package within cydia.

Doesn't help your Java problems, but this is the workaround for Flash.

Enjoy!

falcondfw
Nov 27, 2010, 8:16 PM
Even if plug-in architecture goes away, it won't solve the problems on the web until Microshaft and Bill Gates decide the words "Standard Compliant" are actually worth investing in.

Java's time on the client has come and gone. Anyone remember when Corel tried writing WordPerfect in Java? Haha, good times. On the server side though there's still a good use for it.

The end days for Flash are approaching too. I have already removed it from my systems because of the ridiculous number of security holes in it. Just in the last couple of months there's been a HUGE shift in the web. I rarely encounter a site I can't view because of Flash anymore. The devs are saying there's a lot of work right now from companies wanting Flash removed from their sites. The lack of iOS compatibility for some sites has meant loss of sales. . .so they're going HTML5 so they work everywhere.

Seems the idea of a plug-in architecture is finally dying and being replaced by native solutions in the client. Thankfully.

falcondfw
Nov 27, 2010, 8:20 PM
If you want an opensource flash editor, try SWIFT or check sourceforge.net for others.

I do not have an iPad or iPod or iPhone but I am glad he took a stand on the Flash video. HTML5 more or less supports video - developers just have to start using it and hopefully Jobs' restriction will help motivate companies that want to get their content on the iPad to do it.

I remember that I used to think eliminating the floppy drive from the iMac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBpXYI1r3Q) was a stupid idea - but it turned out to be pretty smart after a while.

(Still doesn't excuse the single button "puck" mouse..)

I would love to develop flash apps but Adobe's tools are like $2,000 to start, I like the idea of an alternative.

slipnslide
Nov 28, 2010, 1:40 AM
Even if plug-in architecture goes away, it won't solve the problems on the web until Microshaft and Bill Gates decide the words "Standard Compliant" are actually worth investing in.

They're getting much much better. When Firefox and Chrome started to eat away at IE's market share Microsoft took notice and doubled down on IE 9. With IE's share somewhere around 50% now, they can't have users finding web apps and sites acting wonky and downloading another browser that does adhere to the standard. I think WebKit in general scares them.

Bluebiyou
Nov 28, 2010, 3:40 AM
What's an IPAD?
One of those new interuterine birth control devices?
or
A super absorbent menstral pad/pantie liner?

falcondfw
Nov 28, 2010, 3:59 AM
I agree they are better about it, but I would think we would have seen this level of compliance WAAAAYYYY before version 9!
And honestly, better is a relative term. Going from 30% to 35% is "better". Microshaft is further along than that, but they still have a long way to go.

They're getting much much better. When Firefox and Chrome started to eat away at IE's market share Microsoft took notice and doubled down on IE 9. With IE's share somewhere around 50% now, they can't have users finding web apps and sites acting wonky and downloading another browser that does adhere to the standard. I think WebKit in general scares them.