PDA

View Full Version : Priest:1994 Film

darkeyes
Nov 21, 2010, 8:16 PM
I have just ended up in floods and floods of tears after watching the film "Priest", written by Jimmy McGovern.

It is an immensely sad tale of a Roman Catholic Priest played by Linus Roache beautifully and sensitively, and his conflict over his homosexuality and his developing relationship with a local gay guy (Robert Carlyle). Yet at the end it is wonderfully uplifting and the final scene of some parishioners cursing and swearing and condemning the priest out of hand as an abomination and an insult to their religion made me at once angry and yet gave me much hope.

The very end of the scene depicts a young girl, who having been sexually abused by her father to whom both father and daughter had confessed, being the only parishioner prepared to take communion from the young priest. It is beautifully shot and depicted and seeing the priest break down and cry, and the young abused girl do likewise and watching them fall into each others arms is a scene which will live with me forever. Watching that scene was when I lost all control of my tear ducts.

The depiction of a very progressive priest (himself having it away with his housekeeper) is another terrific performance by Tom Wilkinson, and if the Roman Catholic Church had in its leadership half as decent a man in its hierarchy maybe it would not find itself so divorced from its flock and from society for that matter.

I heartily recommend this film for anyone with half an ounce of decency as an example of a film about compassion,human sexuality and intolerance. It often seems very dark, yet the final scene is wonderfully uplifting for those of us who are not straight.

Being an old British film, I dont know how easy it will be for those in the US to see it, or pourchase a DVD.. but it is worth the watch.. if u can find it, and get an opportunity to see it.. do so. You wont be disappointed!!!

mikey3000
Nov 21, 2010, 8:22 PM
I have it and just love it!!! Watched it again just a few nights ago.

darkeyes
Nov 21, 2010, 8:26 PM
I have it and just love it!!! Watched it again just a few nights ago.

When I saw it was on telly Mikey I was astonished neither to have heard of the film far less seen it.. and I love jimmy McGovern as a writer. Glad you love it.. cos it is frantabulous!!!:bigrin:

Realist
Nov 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
I found it on NETFLIX..ordered it.

mikey3000
Nov 21, 2010, 11:13 PM
When I saw it was on telly Mikey I was astonished neither to have heard of the film far less seen it.. and I love jimmy McGovern as a writer. Glad you love it.. cos it is frantabulous!!!:bigrin:

First saw it here on CBC. Only caught half of it and just had to see the whole thing, so I hunted it down and bought it. What a great story, and Linus Roache is so friggin hot. Oh boy! He almost made me go running back to church. Almost.

darkeyes
Nov 22, 2010, 9:26 AM
An interesting thing about Linus Roache.. there is a soap in the UK called Coronation Street, an every day tale of working class folk set in and around Manchester. It has been goin on forever it seems. At least since 1961 I think.

The longest running character in Corrie is a bit of a drip called Ken Barlow, played since the very first episode by an actor called William Roache. Linus is his son.

Not so long ago there developed a storyline where Barlow's long lost son looked him up.. the son was played by Linus Roache.. it transpires he too has a son who is gay, and the story line revolves around Barlow and his son at odds with each other over that homosexuality. Linus Roache plays the bigoted and confused dad of the gay son. The son I believe, but may be wrong in this is also Linus Roache's son in real life. I didn't see any of this cos I'm not a Corrie fan, but the media was full of it and family, friends and colleagues at work are all avid watchers.

To digress ever so slightly, I have recently actually watched several episodes of Corrie because there is a story line of two 15yo girls who have fallen in love, and the story revolves around them and the confusion and difficulties their relationship causes among ther families, and one of the girls relationship to her church. I havent watched it regularly cos it isnt one of my must sees (in fact Corrie is usually one of my must avoids), but from what I have seen it has been done quite sensitively and all credit to ITV and the producers for having produced something which is of worth to young people of which very large numbers are fans.

mikey3000
Nov 22, 2010, 11:08 AM
And we watch Corrie St. here all the time too, but I've never seen Linus on it. I'll have to pay more attention.

darkeyes
Nov 22, 2010, 12:17 PM
And we watch Corrie St. here all the time too, but I've never seen Linus on it. I'll have to pay more attention.

I dont know how far behind you are over there Mikey.. the story line I refer to was only about a couple of months or so ago.

12voltman59
Nov 22, 2010, 9:30 PM
I guess that JustWandering was a bad boy---he got a spanking from Drew for something he said.