PDA

View Full Version : Minister Comes Out of the Closet

12voltman59
Nov 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
I posted this link in another post--but with the story being so positive---I thought it should be shared with everyone---I found it to be an interesting and good story.

I know I tend to rally against christians of a certain type---ones that I always put that they are christian in quotes--since I think that such folks are hardly Christlike at all--but this man---I think he is a real and true Christian--and if I were so inclined to feel the need to be a member of a church of this sort and lived in the Atlanta, Georgia area--I would go to this church.

Here is the link from a story that aired on NPR yesterday----and they also have a link to the video of his coming out declaration to his congregation:
http://www.npr.org/2010/11/14/131312723/out-of-the-closet-in-the-pulpit-of-a-megachurch

Doggiestyle
Nov 16, 2010, 5:27 PM
Well now, yesterday I watched the video and I must admit that it was at least, impressive! I would have commented on it yesterday, but did not have time. It was kinda lengthy and by the time it played out, it was time to go to work for me. Now that I come back to this thread, to make a comment, I see that nobody else has made any comments either !? Oh well, I guess that subjects of this nature (religious that is) really don't get much regard, do they !? It seems like that most folks would rather "sweep this subject under the rug" HUH? It's like out of sight / out of mind, HUH? This is a great way to make the subject of GOD nonexistent, is it not? Actually I really have watched / listened to "learned scholars" discuss / debate, whether god does, or does not exist. I have come to the conclusion that proving god as a truth or myth is impossible? In other words it cannot be really proven that god does or does not exist. I guess that that's why it takes what god calls "faith" to be a believer, HUH? And to believe in what cannot be seen or even proven. :eek2:

Well 12 VoltMan and also to whom-ever that they may wish to concern themselves with this thread. I did watch the video in it's entirety. This is my opinion concerning this preacher's story. It is in the form of a question.

QUESTION??? If this preacher was truthfully faithful to his wife and never did have any extra-marital affairs, and if he really does love his wife and kids, was content in living with her .... AND .... If it's true that he told her about him being gay, or potentially gay before they were married .... AND .... If his wife really does love him and the kids and seemingly content to be living with him.... AND .... If she really does indeed consider him to be the ultimate man, none finer.... AND .... There was NO hankey-pankey on either side. And on, and on, and on, they went to make each other out to be such a fine example. :(

??? My question is, why are they getting a divorce after 24 years ??? :confused:

Also, I wonder if what he said about a lot of other preachers being gay, was true? And that they will eventually have either come out, or be exposed?

To me, this story does not seem to add up. There has to be more to this one, than what's being told .... Your friend, :doggie:

MarieDelta
Nov 16, 2010, 5:37 PM
Wow , that was just awesome, thanks Voltie :D

That man truly puts the "Christ" in "Christian"

ubersmack
Nov 16, 2010, 7:31 PM
Wow, that is a huge deal to lay out on a congregation. I am suprised all of the parishioners didn't walk out. I didn't listen to the video, but I wonder how long he will remain the pastor and I wonder how many parishioners will stay in the long run.

I don't think it would bother me to any degree, as it would be like calling the kettle black. Of course, I haven't been in a church in years because I am afraid I will be struck down by lightning.

elian
Nov 16, 2010, 7:41 PM
I heard about this on NPR - this congregation is on a very interesting road. I hope it's the start of something good.

I get the impression that at the time they got married they both thought he could "come out of" being gay if he just worked hard at it. Apparently that hasn't happened. Other documentaries I have seen on this subject are the same way - people got married because that's the norm - and then realized later that they couldn't deny their feelings.

Let me see if I can dig up that segment of "For the Bible Tells Me So" - there is another pastor there - Gene Robinson - with a divorced wife and kids - but the divorce was an amiable one because they both figure they deserve a chance to be fulfilled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTlLU_AYVI ..the beginning of the clip through 1:23 talks about it.

Paragon
Nov 16, 2010, 8:48 PM
this man---I think he is a real and true Christian.

I guess now would be the time to ask for your definiyion of Christian.