PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion films show how cats drink

12voltman59
Nov 13, 2010, 11:40 AM
Some researchers took a closer look at the manner that cats drink from a bowl of liquid.

I know that some people hate cats--but I find them to be very interesting and loving creatures.

I think it is really something at how cats do drink water, milk, etc.

story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101111/sc_afp/usscienceresearchanimalcat_20101111202537

video:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/science-15749654/23001190

csrakate
Nov 13, 2010, 11:50 AM
I saw this video the other day...it was fascinating!

tenni
Nov 13, 2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for posting this.

It is fascinating once you become aware of what is really going on. Funny, I would never have even pondered this cuz I have a dog and not a cat. ;)

It makes me wonder at what point in a kitten's life that it manages to master this feat? It is instinctual but all babies of any species do seem to have a learning curve. I remember getting my dog as a pup at a point where she knew how to go up stairs but not down stairs. The kitten's tongue must go through a similar learning process for its tongue muscles. Does anyone have recall of their cat as a kitten with milk on its face...lol?

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Nov 13, 2010, 1:02 PM
Yep, many a time I've gently put milk on a kitten's mouth to show them where the milk in the bowl was, and they automatically stick their nose into the dish and come up sneezing milk. Its all part of the learning process. And, that's what Mama Cat's are there for, too. To teach their babies how to do things. Most food responces are natural and they get that tongue a'going naturally. But they Are wrong on one thing....Some Cat's Do have one hell of a good suction. ;):tongue:
Cat, feline lover from way back. :}

fredtyg
Nov 13, 2010, 3:24 PM
We have a female calico cat that drinks water a bit different most of the time. She'll dip her paw in the water then bring her paw up to her mouth and lick the water off it. She's the only cat we've ever seen do that.

curioustotry
Nov 13, 2010, 7:32 PM
I have seen a few cats dip their paws and then lick it off. I always assumed that cats scooped the liquid withthe backs of thier tounges where it is curled but I guess I was WAY off lol. I have 2 dear little darlings and I have seen them several time as kitten dip their nose in the milk or wat not and sneese cuz they didnt relize they had to lick