PDA

View Full Version : What Does Acceptance Mean?

APMountianMan
Apr 15, 2006, 2:35 PM
A common thread on this site is that bisexuality is not accepted. I am wondering what does it mean to this community to be accepted? Is it the right to have more than one partner as husband or wife? Is it to be able to wear a t-shirt proclaming that one is bi? Is it walking down the street, hand in hand, as a threesome. What does acceptance mean?

:cool:

Driver 8
Apr 15, 2006, 3:17 PM
Acceptance means not having ignorant monosexuals feel entitled to inform me bisexuals exist, that I'm just going through a phase (and they would know this how?) or that I don't fit their personal definition of bisexual and therefore I'm not one.

It means not having strangers treat me to lectures about how I'm spreading disease to the lesbian community. It means not being told that I'm incapable of having a relationship, or incapable of being monogamous if I make that promise. It means not being told that the fact of being born bisexual makes it somehow impossible for me to have feminist politics. It means my partners not being told "You know she'll leave you for a man/a woman, whatever you're not."

Acceptance means reading books on GLBT history and seeing bisexuals represented - not turned into gay men or lesbians by a stroke of the author's pen. It means reading books on sexuality and relationships and GLBT issues and seeing people like me and stories like mine represented.

It means being treated with the same respect that everyone deserves. Monosexuals can expect to go through life without being quizzed about their past and current sexual lives and expected to put on sex shows for anyone who wants one. I want that too.

hypershot
Apr 15, 2006, 4:42 PM
And yet, it pains me to say, we will never be accepted. Bisexuals have been around since sex became apparent, the great kings and queens of the past, the legends, the heroes, many of them were bisexuals, but it was never voiced. Because if it was then the fear would grow and the "common folk" wouldn't see them as great people anymore.

Now, I love being bisexual, and Im never going to go one way or the other. And the bisexual community is continuing to grow. But just as straight/gay/whatever people have something against bisexuals and we never feel accepted, we're always gonna feel scared and angry at the people who hate and fear us. Its a vicious circle that will cease to end until everyone is of the same sexuality.

There's nothing i want more than to be able to walk down the street holding my girlfriend AND my boyfriends hand. being able to love them both and be accepted into society. One day, I and many other people may be able to do this and accept it also. But for now...all we can do is hide ourselves to protect ourselves.

I hope this made sense, I really wanted to voice my views.

Thanks,

Hyper

xXx

APMountianMan
Apr 15, 2006, 4:53 PM
Where then does this acceptance begin? Your comment that, "Acceptance means reading books on GLBT history and seeing bisexuals represented - not turned into gay men or lesbians by a stroke of the author's pen. It means reading books on sexuality and relationships and GLBT issues and seeing people like me and stories like mine represented" causes me to wonder if there is acceptance even among the GLBT community for bisexuality.

But it brings up another point: do we really accept ourselves? Why are we waiting for others to write our histories? Why are we waiting for others to write the stories that we desire to read? Isn't part of being accepted correlated with a sense of self-acceptance? Isn't the expectation of acceptance dependant on the clear definition of what are bisexual personhood rights?

I think bisexuality will not be accepted until we look beyond what is comfortable in society and get down to the root of the matter: can more than two people fall in love and be married?

If marriage is forever defined as a union between one man and one woman then there is no room for the acceptance of polyamorous relationships. That means bisexuality will never be accept in seriousness.

APMountianMan
Apr 15, 2006, 5:03 PM
There's nothing i want more than to be able to walk down the street holding my girlfriend AND my boyfriends hand.

Amen.

Sparks
Apr 15, 2006, 5:48 PM
Look into your heart first, and then you'll find the answer. Look at yourself in the mirror and accept yourself first. You're ok. Believe in that. The rest is just a walk in the park.

Mimi
Apr 16, 2006, 4:24 AM
Where then does this acceptance begin? Your comment that, "Acceptance means reading books on GLBT history and seeing bisexuals represented - not turned into gay men or lesbians by a stroke of the author's pen. It means reading books on sexuality and relationships and GLBT issues and seeing people like me and stories like mine represented" causes me to wonder if there is acceptance even among the GLBT community for bisexuality.

as someone who is openly bi to straight, gay, and lesbian people alike, i must say that right now we are still struggling to be accepted within the gay/lesbian community. i think the G/L community is still hung up on the "us vs. them" debate, and so they can't understand where the bis fit in because we throw off the whole dichotomy. i sometimes think G/Ls themselves have a fear of heterosexuals or "heterophobia", which keeps them really afraid of us. and god, don't get me started on all the militant lesbians out there who try to use the ONE incident of a bisexual girlfriend dumping them for a man to try to stigmatize and dismiss ALL bi women.

I think bisexuality will not be accepted until we look beyond what is comfortable in society and get down to the root of the matter: can more than two people fall in love and be married?

If marriage is forever defined as a union between one man and one woman then there is no room for the acceptance of polyamorous relationships. That means bisexuality will never be accept in seriousness.

well, i think you're talking about 2 things there: acceptance of multi-gender attractions and acceptance of multiform-relationships. and remember that BISEXUAL DOES NOT EQUAL POLYAMORY. some of us don't do group marriages. as far as our society has to go to accept bis, it has a way longer journey towards accepting poly relationships. i mean, look how hard it is to get same-gender marriage rights.

i think acceptance is reached when everyone out there can casually say that they have a bi friend or know someone who is bi.

mimi :flag1:

IceLion
Apr 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
It has been a very long time since I've posted to these forums, but this topic truly compeled me. I think every person's definition of acceptance varies, and the level to which they want to be accepted as well. Few Bi's that I know are out, very few in fact. We aren't hidden, just staying right beneath the surface. The first step to acceptance in anything is visibility in my opinion. We allow ourselves to be herded into the stereotypes that monos use to justify their own fears and insecurities; we can't be monogamous, we're just confused, we're trying to get the best of both worlds, and my personal favorite, which has already been stated, "You'll leave me for this guy/girl later!"

It's truly a thing of awe if you've ever been gaybashed by a gay person, the irony just numbs you. So what is acceptance? For me, it's being able to be openly who I am without HAVING to be accepted.

-IceLion :bipride:

smonique
Apr 17, 2006, 1:10 PM
Thanks for that

Long Duck Dong
Apr 17, 2006, 7:42 PM
mmm acceptance to me means understanding and compromise

me of them and them of me lol

I know a lot of people struggle with the idea of bisexuality and how it works and as the most sexually diverse grouping of people, we are widely mis understood, cos we can't be stuck in a group like heteros, gays and lesbians

lesbians are f/f
gays are m/m
heteros are m/f or f/m
bi sexuals are m/f/f or m/m/f or m/m or f/f or m/f or f/m .. it all depends on the individuals choice as to if we have a monogamous / open/ polyamorus etc etc relationship

society will try to place us, in the confused/ greedy/ perverted etc class of people....but they can't admit that they can't live without us cos we enrich their lives lol

we are the people that bring a new understanding to the term * open minded *... and thats outside the bedroom as well as inside the bedroom

we challenge people in life, to face what they may not want to face... their own sexuality

back acceptance starts in one place with everybody... it starts with themselves and their ability to accept themselves for who they are

anne27
Apr 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
To be able to just once join a GLBT community and not get flack for being bi and being married and having kids and liking men. When I accepted myself and embraced my bisexuality I wanted so badly to be able to join in with the GLBT community in a nearby city and was so viciously slammed by one of the lesbian organizers of the group that I just gave up. I felt like I had a lot to offer and could help to 'fight the good fight'. Instead, I became embittered and said 'screw it'.

To me, acceptance means being embraced by a community that sees our existance as about as likely as the Easter Bunny.

:2cents:

JohnnyV
Apr 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
Acceptance means reading books on GLBT history and seeing bisexuals represented - not turned into gay men or lesbians by a stroke of the author's pen. It means reading books on sexuality and relationships and GLBT issues and seeing people like me and stories like mine represented.

Driver,

It felt good to read your quote above. Finish grad school as quickly as you can and start publishing. There is a lot of interest in bisexuality right now and in the next year, I think a number of anthologies will be published. With some luck I may be featured in two of them (keep my fingers crossed!) My book is also closer to being finished. Get writing!

Best wishes,
J

Mimi
Apr 19, 2006, 1:18 AM
Driver,

It felt good to read your quote above. Finish grad school as quickly as you can and start publishing. There is a lot of interest in bisexuality right now and in the next year, I think a number of anthologies will be published. With some luck I may be featured in two of them (keep my fingers crossed!) My book is also closer to being finished. Get writing!

Best wishes,
J

well, i don't know if driver is planning on writing, but i just finished my 200-page dissertation, which is on bisexual women, and will try to publish it wherever i can. the first place i'll probably start is the journal of bisexuality, which is headed by fritz klein (of the klein sexual orientation grid). i used his KSOG in my study, and we have a mutual friend, so hopefully this will get my foot in the door!!! :bibounce:

mimi :flag1:

JohnnyV
Apr 19, 2006, 8:57 AM
Mimi,

That's great news! Congratulations. I've been saying lately that the reason we've been so invisible is that we need committed bi scholars in greater numbers! I'm glad your work is getting out there. And keep sending stuff out!

J

rumple4skin
Apr 19, 2006, 9:59 AM
Acceptance to me is being allowed to live my life without anyone else sounding off on weather they condemn or condone my life. I don’t worry a lot about acceptance anymore. I would love to see a world, country, state, county or even a town for that matter where people can live the way they want without others feeling they need to condemn or condone their actions.
Like sparks said acceptance lies within. I have become much more accepting of myself, flaws and all and that helps me to be more accepting of other people and their flaws. The more I accept myself the less I worry about weather other people accept me.
I think bisexuality has always existed. Some cultures in history were far more accepting of it then today. Sadly, some people fear what they do not understand and that fear makes them judgmental.
I do not see why so many other people feel the need to say if it is different then someone must be right or wrong. I find it curious that the ones who want to jump on the right/wrong bandwagon usually find themselves in the right. One of the things I can to do to make my tiny corner of the world more accepting is be more accepting of others. When I am confronted by prejudice I do speak my mind freely but try not to do it in a hostile way. I try to apply that to all subjects, not just sexuality.
Well that is my :2cents: :2cents: ,
Rumple

grizzle45
Apr 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
I guess it's up to us to start a biseuxal renaissance in the arts and letters. I think it's about time and from what I've seen in this group there's talent to be had. One of the many questions I've been asking myself lately is "how do I spread the knowledge and wisdom around? What am I doing to change opinons outside of my immedaite circle of friends or this group of generally accepting already biseuxal people?"
And I think it's important to be clear on what acceptance means. How will I know it when I see it? What will it looks like? I certainly agree with Driver 8 (I usually do!) that I want history to stop lieing to me. I want the bi authors, artist, characters, and historical figures to be known and seen. I want art and literature to reflect my own experience. I want Brokeback Mountain to be known for what it is, A bisexual movie and nto a "gay cowboy movie".
I know on one level that acceptance would mean that no one woudl so much as bat an eye about my biseuxality and in some ways it would seem that I was beign accepted. LIke heteroseuxality, queerness would become so common no one woudl see it any more. I'm not sure I ever want that kind of acceptance. At least not yet!
And I agree with Mimi that polygamy and bisexuality are too different topics. Not taht they don't have a common origin and I'm not saying that I don't support polygamy, but I am not represented by polygamous bisexuals. And I think acceptance of one is not acceptance of the other. There are already communities where polygamy is accepted, but only for heterosexuals.

arana
Apr 19, 2006, 6:14 PM
I think acceptance is when this question no longer needs to be asked. When finding out things about each other is no more a big deal then finding out their favorite colour. When you no longer have to fear how much information you are willing to reveal to individuals due to their beliefs and reactions. When people can communicate, listen and nurture one another.
People have been trying to gain acceptance since birth. Starting with your parents and then others throughout life. Being unique makes it difficult to find acceptance because so many do not welcome diversity into their lives and that's a shame. Those are the people that miss the joys of meeting wonderful people as I have here at this site. Thanks to Drew for creating this site and all of you I've come to know for your "acceptance".

APMountianMan
Apr 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. As for you would be writers out there, I happen to have connections in the publishing world. If you are serious, you know how to get in touch with me.

arana
Jun 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
I thought this one was worthy of some fresh input so we'll see. :tong:

jedinudist
Jun 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
to me it means:

Freedom.

Inner Peace.

Harmony.

We're not there yet, but we will be.

Lisa (va)
Jun 28, 2006, 12:49 PM
Simple and basic. Just accept me as another individual. We all are different in so many ways, sexual desires are just a small part of what makes us who we are. Focus on the entire person, just not this one aspect.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

little clown
Jun 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hi,

Originally posted by APMountianMan
A common thread on this site is that bisexuality is not accepted. I am wondering what does it mean to this community to be accepted? Is it the right to have more than one partner as husband or wife? Is it to be able to wear a t-shirt proclaming that one is bi? Is it walking down the street, hand in hand, as a threesome. What does acceptance mean?

As far as I'm concerned the acceptance of bisexuality isn't about the acceptance of having more than one partner or lover. Although I sincerely wish that those who are part of a threesome or foursome (etc.) could be able to walk down the street together holding hands without being called names,
I don't necessarily associate bisexuality with threesomes. I don't doubt for a second that being part of a threesome or foursome can be a wonderful experience, but I've never been part of one, and I think that goes for a lot of bi folks.
To me, it's about being acknowledged. Having people realize there are more than two sexual orientations .....that humanity isn't divided into two camps, gay and straight.
Whenever I read an article in which the term gay marriage is used, I realize this is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Originally posted by Arana,
I think acceptance is when this question no longer needs to be asked. When finding out things about each other is no more a big deal then finding out their favorite colour. When you no longer have to fear how much information you are willing to reveal to individuals due to their beliefs and reactions. When people can communicate, listen and nurture one another.
People have been trying to gain acceptance since birth. Starting with your parents and then others throughout life. Being unique makes it difficult to find acceptance because so many do not welcome diversity into their lives and that's a shame. Those are the people that miss the joys of meeting wonderful people as I have here at this site. Thanks to Drew for creating this site and all of you I've come to know for your "acceptance".

Very eloquently put!!

Take care,
Dani

ScifiBiJen
Jun 28, 2006, 1:22 PM

Very well said. To me, acceptance firstly means no more closets. I also think recognition is an important part of acceptance, like some others here have mentioned.
Acceptance means that your friends, family, loved ones, and everyone not only is not only aware of bisexuality but they still love and support you after you come out.

Brian
Jun 28, 2006, 8:17 PM
I think acceptance of bisexuality means:

Acknowledgement that bisexuality exists. This denial that there are people who are attracted to both sexes is getting old and yet it crops up again and again. How many people throughout history who demonstrate an attraction to both sexes does there need to be, before those who are essentially 100% straight or 100% gay simply acknowledge that bisexuality is real.

Acknowledgement that bisexuality harms no one. The feeble arguments from the pious that homosexuality and bisexuality somehow harm society fail scrutiny time after time. Two people of the same gender loving one another harms no one. We are a threat to no one - unless you have stretched your perception specifically to view bisexuality/homosexuality as a threat. In that case, get help.

Acknowledgement that a marriage is whatever the participants decide it to be. Acceptance of bisexuality requires one to acknowledge that there are MANY married couples who defy the conservative image of marriage and define marriage on their own terms. These are, more often than not, healthy and happy marriages. Bisexuality and marriage are not incongruous.

- Drew :paw:

12voltman59
Jun 28, 2006, 11:13 PM
While it might seem to us in 2006 that bisexuality is a rather "new thing"--I don't believe that is really so.

There are plenty of indications that bisexuality has been with humanity since the earliest days of our existence as a species--in spite of what both heterosexuals and gay/lesbians seem to believe--I hold that if people were really free to just be themselves---bisexuality would be the natural state for most people.

As someone noted in a previous post-- I also do not equate bisexuality with polyamory---

While my next point is admittedly off the point of this thread--I saw something on the tube that everyone may find of interest.

As we are all aware--the fundamentalist/evangelical Christian movement is all up in a lather about "homosexual marriage"--I saw a series of recent televised sermons by Rev. James Hagee that might put things in perspective.

I caught the end of one of Hagee's taped sermons--in it that one he talked about "the Covenant between God and the Israelites." He talked of how the Jews and God had formed a covenant that made them "God's choosen people."

In the next one--Hagee laid out how the founders of America and God had also made a covenant--that in effect--America and Americans were also one of God's chosen peoples and also a choosen land.

He talked of the ways that "prove" that such a covenant does exist, but the one thing that does keep us from fully realizing the full benefits of our covenant with God--our country has come to be far too accepting of "homosexuality" and in fact--as long as we accept and condone homosexuality---God will not bless our country--"He" instead will condem us for this acceptance--this one of the reasons we have experienced 9/11 and the recent natural disasters-so sayeth the right reverend Hagee.

On another Christian themed show--sort of a Christian version that is a mix of Oprah and Dr. Phil--the topic of discussion of the show was how one partner or the other in many "good Christian" marrages had come out as being "bisexual" to their partners.

One of the "counselors" on the program said that the bisexual desires and behavior was due to the tricks of the old deceiver himself--Satan.

Bisexuality is one of Satan's ways of snaring otherwise good people in his evil trap according to the folks on that show.... :devil: :devil: :bounce: :bounce: :banghead: :banghead: :tongue:

Just figured y'all would like to know that... :)

biecnal
Jun 29, 2006, 3:45 AM
Jess and I do not expect or require anyone to accept us. It is a very simple matter for us...

If you like us for who we are, you are our friend. If you are so shallow as to not like us for our sexual (or any other) beliefs and practices, then don't let the damned door hit your ass on the way out! :bigrin:

We all have basic rights as people, and those rights should be universal.

Lance & Jess :bipride:

BiDallasCouple
Jun 29, 2006, 3:56 AM
Acceptance for us? I dont think it will happen. Thats like asking Christians to accept other religions like Wicca. We are a threat to both sides that "sexually" surround us with us in the middle. We are "after the gay men and the straight women." So to the Straight man and the Gay community, not to mention all the God fearing people out there {for other reasons}, WE ARE A THREAT. ALOT of lesbians wont go out with a woman who has been with a guy at all. I know some gays that think that way towards men dating women. So for me, acceptance from anyone else but myself is useless. What I'd rather concentrate on is me accepting myself for who I am and being true to myself. I dont need them to accept me, I am already me. As for the books, I am all for it and have thought of that myself actually. Who else will write them if not us? Why should "THEY" have to accept OUR books? Thats shouldn't be why you want to write them. If the reason you want to write them is to better yourself, help others, and make money doing so {SHOCK} then THAT is what you should want, not acceptance from someone who is never gonna give it.

But that is just MY views and I hope no toes were stepped on. Blessed be! JD

Avocado
Jun 29, 2006, 5:07 AM
For me, it's the right to have the same level of acceptance as gay and straight people. We deserve rights as people who are not straight, people who are not gay, and people who are bi. We have the right to dignity, to not be treated as 2nd class citizens. How would it look if a white man told his white male friend to dump a black woman on the grounds that black women are incapable of monogamy? We have the right to be recognised aswell. No-one says you only like blondes, only like brunettes or you're lying.

Nara_lovely
Jun 29, 2006, 11:43 PM
My idea of acceptance, is not what the masses think...really who cares! General ideals of a community, country, religion etc, all seem to be in flux depending on who shouts the loudest and how many mindless-sheep follow along.

For those I care about, interact with on more than a passing superficial aquaintance. Those people who have touched my heart in some way...those people who know ME and accept and respect me exactly how I am! That is true acceptance in my mind.

We are all entitled to an opinion, and healthy debade is quite different to the "You are wrong" attitudes. I guess my wish is that everyone take the time to accept themselves first, before attacking anyone else.

Haemoglobin
Jul 1, 2006, 6:59 AM
well said .. but at the same time an absolute illusion .

first accept yourself you said and then attack others . . hmm..how come then that most bisexuals here , i take the right to label all of us since it includes me too , are not tolerating anything .

I mean is it not gays and bisexuals cursing the catholic church for example ?
Is it not them sometimes acting as if straight people would be unfair to them and then we start attacking them and comin up with examples of how bad their world is ?

Sometimes the most individual and unique people , the ones that are out of the "norm" , the ones who claim they wanna be tolerated . . are the ones that tolerate no one and no body .
they do not let anyones opinion count unless its their own sometimes .
I think every single one of us should first clean up their own dirt too and bring out a big heavy dictonary and read about the definition of Acceptance , or about tolerating people .

Personally , i would never call myself very tolerant , there are too many things i would know i always complain about and make jokes about .

Avocado
Jul 1, 2006, 8:08 AM
well said .. but at the same time an absolute illusion .

first accept yourself you said and then attack others . . hmm..how come then that most bisexuals here , i take the right to label all of us since it includes me too , are not tolerating anything .

I mean is it not gays and bisexuals cursing the catholic church for example ?
Is it not them sometimes acting as if straight people would be unfair to them and then we start attacking them and comin up with examples of how bad their world is ?

Sometimes the most individual and unique people , the ones that are out of the "norm" , the ones who claim they wanna be tolerated . . are the ones that tolerate no one and no body .
they do not let anyones opinion count unless its their own sometimes .
I think every single one of us should first clean up their own dirt too and bring out a big heavy dictonary and read about the definition of Acceptance , or about tolerating people .

Personally , i would never call myself very tolerant , there are too many things i would know i always complain about and make jokes about .

Heterophobia is a big problem for us particularly. It seems we're the ones who have no excuse to be what we are whether the prejudiced person is gay or straight :(

biecnal
Jul 1, 2006, 1:11 PM
BiDallasCouple: We are a threat to both sides that "sexually" surround us with us in the middle.

So true!

Jess and I get far more shit for being bisexual from Gay/Lesbian people than from straight people.

I get so tired of hearing... "Oh, you are really just Gay, you just cannot make up your mind." LOL :tong:

Lance :-)

Avocado
Jul 1, 2006, 1:54 PM
So true!

Jess and I get far more shit for being bisexual from Gay/Lesbian people than from straight people.

I get so tired of hearing... "Oh, you are really just Gay, you just cannot make up your mind." LOL :tong:

Lance :-)

They're just fucking divs who live in their own little hallucinations they want everyone to be the same as them they want everyone to be fucking clones. Sooner people like that wake up to the real world and join the rest of the human race the better. They want to sort their minds out, sort themselves out, sort their lives out and get a fucking life and realise the world doesn't revolve around them. People like that are nothing.

Haemoglobin
Jul 2, 2006, 1:20 AM
do i feel a little tension here . why at all care that people want smth from you , why care about other bisexuals calling you gay or anything ? can you not just forget about it , have a good laugh and say "yeah , fuck you too" ;) thats what i do . and it works . :bigrin:

BI BOYTOY
Jul 2, 2006, 2:44 AM
it means all the above with out the harassment :bigrin: :three: :three: :three: :three:

BI BOYTOY
Jul 2, 2006, 2:45 AM
:three: :three: by the way i like the first law of holes :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:

Avocado
Jul 2, 2006, 8:08 AM
I've just read my last post again. I'm not an England fan, honest ;)

arana
Dec 4, 2006, 12:54 AM
thought this deserved a (bump)

darkeyes
Dec 4, 2006, 3:34 AM
I've just read my last post again. I'm not an England fan, honest ;)

Im very glad 2 hear it avocado. tee hee

12voltman59
Dec 4, 2006, 6:53 AM
Before I get down to my post on this issue--I have been absent from the site most of the past month due to the fact I had a major computer meltdown--my Dell desktop--a handme down unit that was five years old--gave up the ghost during the month--I wound up going on a hunt in the past several weeks for a decently priced laptop PC---with the holiday shopping season in full swing--there are plenty of good deals out there--but the retailers only carry a limited supply of the lower cost notebooks because they really just want to get you into the store and switch you to a more expensive unit...what a racket!!!!

NOW----acceptance----

It is not that surprising to me that acceptance of bisexuality is still rather limited. If you look at the history of species in regards to who we are allowed to love---this is something that almost from the very beginning of "society," that we set up all kinds of barriers and and "oughts and naughts" in regards to who gets together.

It is still tough for male-female couples where the partners are of differing racial, ethnic, tribal, socio-economic, religious or any other designation one cares to name to get together----it was not long ago that here in the good ol' US of A that blacks and whites were barred from legally marrying---

We have moved forward on that one, at least legally.

Most of the prescriptions of what is an acceptable partner for us is not set by law---but by custom and familial standards---God knows--I myself have had relationships with ladies where just the fact we were together was problematic.

In one case it was because I was both a "Yankee" and a Catholic when I dated a Southern Baptist/Southern Belle and in several other cases when I dated some Cuban women----the fac that I was Anglo did not set well at all with the parents of those ladies---and at the time I was merely a low ranking enlisted military member.

Hopefully--one day--there will come a time when it does not matter who we chose to love--just that we do love someone--but then again---maybe pigs will sprout wings and fly----

It is it going to take a long time before there will be much acceptance of bisexuality---it would be a major coup if we could simply get the vast majority of people to accept that bisexuality even exists.

ancestral
Dec 12, 2006, 8:47 PM
Jess and I do not expect or require anyone to accept us. It is a very simple matter for us...

If you like us for who we are, you are our friend. If you are so shallow as to not like us for our sexual (or any other) beliefs and practices, then don't let the damned door hit your ass on the way out!

We all have basic rights as people, and those rights should be universal.

agreed :)

someotherguy
Dec 13, 2006, 12:16 PM

To me, acceptance means other people tolerate my existence without hassling me. If you want to talk about being welcome, that's appreciation, not acceptance.