PDA

View Full Version : Interesting News!

IanBorthwick
Oct 29, 2010, 12:19 AM
For those of you who read BiSocialNetwork.com, I am a frequent submitter there, and the head journalist always seems to be impressed with my articulation as well as how my writing flows. As Sheila Finch always told me, I was a born novelist and one day I hope to be one!

But the latest I wrote seems to have been something she wants to turn into, possibly, an Article Reply rather than let it sit as a "Comment". I'm not really certain but you can take a look and see.

http://bisocialnetwork.com/dan-savage-its-gets-better-the-mel-gibson-of-bisexuality/

For those of you wondering, yes, my name is Sean Gonzalez.

Hephaestion
Oct 29, 2010, 6:04 AM
Will it need any editing to make it stand alone? Possibly exand the introduction slightly to give it context rather than 'a reply to....' ?

Alternatively, the editor could say that the article you wrote was originally placed as comment to another's article and was considered worthy of promotion to / presenation in greater prominence.

Otherwise it reads reasonably well and is not lamed by esoteric colloquialism. I does need a little clean up but - Go for it.

NotLostJustWandering
Oct 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
It is a well-written piece indeed, Ian. Thanks for sharing it. I have mixed feelings about the criticism against Dan Savage. I've read most of his columns referenced on this page, and while I dislike his over-generalization, I feel it falls short of the kind of bigotry that would warrant calling him "the Mel Gibson of bisexuality." And I have to say I share his observation that many young men go through a phase of identifying as bi before settling on the gay identity. Check out any gay dating site and see who identifies as bi there. A LOT more young men than older; why do you suppose that is?

softfruit
Feb 6, 2011, 10:55 AM
Perhaps because this is a snapshot of people living in 2011 - the older men on those sites grew up in earlier years and decades where the options open to them were a lot more restrictive? Thanks to the work of lots of people on bi and other queer identities being treated with more respect, the younger site members have grown up in a world with slightly different rules.

Coupled with older site members having lived more years in a world that presses many of us to 'pick a side' out of gay and straight.

Certainly of our local bi social group, there are about as many formerly-gay-ID'ed people coming along as formerly-straight, and across quite a wide age range. :flag4: