PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks...

TaylorMade
Oct 3, 2010, 4:21 AM
For anyone who's seen my pictures... yeah.

Let me start at the beginning. I dyed my hair read while I was working as a dancer.

The dye was too strong, and my hair fell out. It's a big deal... I lost a large amount of my length. Guys, think of it as you using a topical cream to smooth out the skin on your cock. Not to grow it, just to make it look good. Instead, it shrinks in the shower. Right before a hot date.

It's like that.

My hair isn't quite growing back and I feel it's time to . . . do something different. I thought about doing it in college, but honestly was afraid that the kind of guys I usually date would not be attracted to it... now that I'm older, I still have some hesitation...but I have stronger reasons, I think.

1) It would mark my ultimate departure from ever dancing again. I haven't seen a dreadlocked dancer in all my experience, and I know many managers simply won't hire them. To dreadlock my hair would mark a departure from Dallas, the image . . .to Taylor, the person I've always been.

2) to enable my hair to be totally healthy. The constant use of chemical relaxants on my scalp has always wreaked havoc on it... I'm what's known as "tenderheaded" - - my scalp is very sensitive. Relaxing my hair has always been the worst part - - the burning (complete with visible burns), the scarring, the tears. It's like losing your virginity every six weeks... except it's on MY HEAD!

So... anyone have dreadlocks? Anyone want to put in their (Relevant) :2cents:?

*Taylor*

DuckiesDarling
Oct 3, 2010, 4:23 AM
No dreadlocks here but just saying no matter how you wear your hair, to me you are Taylor and well on another site you are just your name there, and nothing will detract from the way I feel about you as a friend. So get those dreads and post some pics :)

TaylorMade
Oct 3, 2010, 6:33 AM
No dreadlocks here but just saying no matter how you wear your hair, to me you are Taylor and well on another site you are just your name there, and nothing will detract from the way I feel about you as a friend. So get those dreads and post some pics :)

But you're smart enough to know the difference. :p

I admit I'm posting this as a pre-screen for the less mentally agile.

*Taylor*

Realist
Oct 3, 2010, 9:20 AM
Taylor,

Years ago, when I was in college, I loved a black girl (Virginia) and she loved me. She was a magnificent lady, very loving and sensual. She was also the type of woman who gave her all to someone she loved. She agonized about her hair, which she kept short and cut in what I thought was an appealing shape. I guess you'd call it a mini Afro.

Virginia, however, thought I'd love her more if she straightened her hair. Luckily, I overheard her discussing an appointment with a hair dresser, to get her hair straightened. I don't know if they had the same methods of doing that in 1970, but I had heard that it was time-consuming and even painful.

I finally convinced her that I loved her, thought her hair was perfect for her face and never had the slightest interest in her changing it. It took some time to convince her that I would NOT love her more, if she straightened her hair. Actually, there was not one thing that I would have wanted to change about her.

I know that each of us have a look that we like and desire for ourselves. I would never suggest that you do anything other than what you're the most comfortable with.

I just want you to know that anyone, who would really love you, would probably not want you to do anything extra ordinary, especially if it was painful, to alter your physical attributes.

Just my thoughts.

rissababynta
Oct 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
I think this is a WONDERFUL idea Taylor...and I find your reasons for both symbolisms purposes and health to be quite sound. If you go ahead with this, which I hope you do, I hope you feel empowered by your decision :)

grneyedbeauty
Oct 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
You are a beautiful woman and I think the dreads would look awesome on you. I have always been a fan of well taken care of dreads. If you try it and dont like it cant you just have them combed out? Is it that easy? It would probably be better than all the chemicals.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Oct 3, 2010, 1:08 PM
You just do whatever feels the best for You, Honey. You are going to look marvelous no matter what you do. ;)
Cat

rissababynta
Oct 3, 2010, 1:18 PM
You are a beautiful woman and I think the dreads would look awesome on you. I have always been a fan of well taken care of dreads. If you try it and dont like it cant you just have them combed out? Is it that easy? It would probably be better than all the chemicals.

dreadlocks take a lot of special care to keep them looking healthy and nice. it's the same thing for getting rid of them. A lot of people tend to shave them off because it's easier. But there are ways. And yes, it is WAY better for your hair than chemicals as long as you take care of them properly.

jamieknyc
Oct 3, 2010, 5:45 PM
It's probably a good idea to take a break from the relaxers

jem_is_bi
Oct 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
I am not a hair expert and most definitely not a women's hair expert.
I do not know the name for their hair style, but, I have seen very good looking black woman that do not straighten their hair and do not have dreadlocks.
So, what are the other options to dreadlocks that will get you hair that does not detract from and may even contributes to the beauty of you?

TaylorMade
Oct 4, 2010, 10:58 AM
I could wear braids, but it doesn't look good in the long term. my hair is very thick, so doing it natural would be untenable in the long term. There's one person I have yet to ask....

*Taylor*

Bm4fun2002
Oct 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
My hair is loced, and I would NOT have it any other way. I'm a Black professional male.

billy_campbell
Oct 5, 2010, 5:19 PM
You are a very lovely, hot, and sexy woman. I think you would would look great! I did a quick google and found some hot folks with dreadlocks.... Just for fun. :tongue:

TaylorMade
Apr 4, 2011, 8:27 PM
I didn't dreadlock my hair... but kind of texturized it. It's less harsh than a relaxer.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196592_211273835552447_100000094964069_899000_6081 338_n.jpg

*Taylor*

Darkside2009
Apr 4, 2011, 8:57 PM
The dreadlocks look like a lot of work to me and to be honest I don't find them that attractive. Instead of harsh chemicals, why not just use milder shampoos, the kind they use for babies, They wouldn't burn your scalp.

Just a thought, you'll obviously make up your own mind, what way you want to wear it. Why not ask this new boyfriend of yours, how he likes it, he will obviously see you more than we will, or don't you trust his opinion?lol

jem_is_bi
Apr 4, 2011, 11:03 PM
Photo is a little dark, but your hair looks very nice to me.

HappyHedonic
Apr 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have several opinions that I will share (you did ask for :2cents:):

Dreads look cool. If I could, I would have them.

You should do with your hair whatever makes you happy. Life is too short.

Chronic chemical burns to your skin can lead to very bad health consequences down the road.

People with straight hair want curls/dreads. People with curls/dreads want straight hair.

The documentary "Good Hair" by Chris Rock is a good one. It enlightened me to the culture of African-American hair and the industry behind it. It's on Netflix.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sexy is an attitude, and you can turn people on (or off) with your eyes more than your hair.

Peace :flag4:

Realist
Apr 5, 2011, 12:10 AM
I saw a guy with dreads at the grocery today.

Thinking of this question, I asked him how he liked them? He said he hated them, but he has a very hot GF, who thinks he's a Voodoo man in 'em. (I assume that's a good thing...never heard that term.)

I asked him to be specific...he said that they're irritating to sleep on. Sometimes they hurt his scalp, if they get tangled up when he's in bed.

Just one guy's opinion, I guess.

void()
Apr 5, 2011, 9:36 PM
I concur with going with what makes you happy, as long as you aren't endangering yourself or others in any seriously negative way.

drugstore cowboy
Apr 6, 2011, 1:25 AM
You're not white so you could pull off dreadlocks and look good in them.

If you want to clear up your scalp don't dye your hair. Maybe see a dermatologist?

I've seen deadlocks on white men and women and they just look odd, dirty, and out of place.