PDA

View Full Version : Outed Myself Again

fredtyg
Sep 23, 2010, 6:08 PM
Some of you may remember I've been getting bolder and bolder about being open about my bi/ homosexuality. There's also some people I'd rather not have know, though. That includes some of my customers, being self- employed.

Well, I just outed myself to a couple customers of mine that are pretty conservative. They were two I would of rather not have know, but wasn't too worried as I would be about some others since I consider them friends, too. They're an elderly married couple.

They came by to pay me and I was speaking to them while they sat in their car in front of my house. Can't remember exactly how the conversation went but it had to do with cutting of my mustache of 32 years.

Barbara said something about looking nicer so the the women would take more notice of me. I followed up with, "...and the guys, too!" (not sure why I decided to bring that up). Barbara looked a little surprised and immediately asked, "Are you bisexual, Fred?". I responded, "Yep". She smiled at that, seeming amused by the idea. Her hubby just laughed a little, so it's hard to say what he was thinking.

That was it. We chatted for a few more minutes and off they went. No harm done, looks like so far.

Perhaps some inspiration in there for some of you closeted guys?

Realist
Sep 23, 2010, 6:39 PM
As long as you do good work for them and they are satisfied with your professional relationship, there should be no problems.

What does your personal life have to do with the products, or service, you provide?

fredtyg
Sep 23, 2010, 7:10 PM
s Along as you do good work for them and they are satisfied with your professional relationship, there should be no problems.
What does your personal life have to do with the products, or service, you provide?

It shouldn't, but there are some people that it might make a difference to. I can't say this would apply to any my customers, but I'm reminded of a homo couple in Texas who sued some landscaper because he wouldn't do some work for them because they were a "gay couple".

That's kind of the reverse of what the situation would be here since the self- employed guy wouldn't work for the homos, but it shows there are people out there to whom people's sexuality does make a difference.

I was strongly opposed to the lawsuit in that situation as I think the business guy has the right to do business with whomever he chooses. If someone wanted to cancel their business with me because I'm homo, that's their right as well.

That's why I prefer to keep my sexuality to myself in some of these situations. I will say, though, I feel good about telling these two folks as I consider them friends and don't feel like I'm hiding a big part of me from them anymore.

littlerayofsunshine
Sep 23, 2010, 8:22 PM
All I can say is... Wow fred. You've come along way.. Kudos.

magari
Sep 24, 2010, 8:39 AM
Yes, it's encouraging to know that you felt comfortable saying what you did. I would love to let some very specific people know...I think they would be verrrry intrigued!

fredtyg
Sep 24, 2010, 9:48 AM
I would love to let some very specific people know...I think they would be verrrry intrigued!

You just need to find the right opportunity to do it.

I've been thinking since I did this last one about how some of the others I work for might feel if they knew I was a bi/homo. Many I don't think it would make a difference with. Others, the more religious types, might have a problem with it.

Then again, I see no need to everyone I work for that I'm queer. We're not in the kind of relationship where it's any of their business. I feel pretty good about telling this last couple, though, if only because I consider them friends.