PDA

View Full Version : Human Trafficking

NotLostJustWandering
Sep 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
I see a need for a new thread (assuming our Canadians will have a word to say about this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
when is canada gonna close the loopholes allowing the transporting of people to be used in the sex trade industry against their will, thru canadian borders..... or is that canadas idea of freedom ?????

It is always interesting that the defenders of the US try to side step the issues pointed out in this thread by attacking the issues of another country.

Canada has never claimed to be the "freeist" country or the land of the free etc. (although for a few years another organization declared Canada as the best place to live in part due to our human rights and other democratically social factors(...no longer true) I did put in my comment that the loss of freedom amongst free democratic countries is fragile and in danger (not the exact words). I was thinking about my own country, Canada. It is shocking how our democratic process has been abused by our present government. Canada is experiencing not just the transporting of people for sex trade but is experiencing issues with our very lenient and supportive refugee policies being abused by human traffickers. The balance of welcoming refugees in a controlled manner and not being used as a soft touch is a delicate balance issue. Australia is also experiencing issues with human traffickers as are other countries including the US. (not sure about New Zealand) The approach of Australia has been raised in Canada but it is probably not be our solution . The draconian almost red neck government needs to be watched as it lies and tries to manipulate the emotions of the citizens over the issue of refugees and human traffickers just as some politicians in the US are doing with the Islamic Centre in the US. This human trafficking is an international problem requiring international co operation.

DuckiesDarling
Sep 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
Human Trafficking is a horrible thing, but it will continue as long as there is a market for it. Whether it be for sex slaves or workers in a cane field, if there is a market there will be someone supplying no matter how many people risk their lives to stop it.

tenni
Sep 23, 2010, 10:52 AM
oh thanks NotLost

I was just about to remove my comment from the other thread. I may have changed it. Here it is

Canada has never claimed to be the "freeist" country or the land of the free etc. (although for a few years a UN organization declared Canada as the best place to live in part due to our human rights and other democratically social factors(...no longer true) I did put in my comment that the loss of freedom amongst free democratic countries is fragile and in danger (not the exact words). I was thinking about my own country, Canada. It is shocking how our democratic process has been abused by our present government. Canada is experiencing not just the transporting of people for sex trade but is experiencing issues with our very lenient and supportive refugee policies being abused by human traffickers. Those who are brought here illegally under the guise of becoming a refugee (they pay or owe a debt to human traffickers ) and then are forced into being sex slaves or strippers until they work off their debt is a hidden tragedy but a minor point in human trafficking. 500 Tamils arrive on a leaky boat after travelling for three months is a worse example of human trafficking. They go past Australia, the US and land in Canada after having left Thailand where they landed after leaving Sri Lanka. They paid money to human traffickers to do this. The balance of welcoming refugees in a controlled manner and not being used as a soft touch is a delicate balance issue. Eventually, there is the high likelihood that these leaky old ships are going to sink and all will drown before being rescued. It is being used by some politicians to create divisions and perhaps find solutions that go against freedoms and supporting refugees as well as Canada has. Australia is also experiencing issues with human traffickers as are other countries including the US. (not sure about New Zealand) The approach of Australia has been raised in Canada but it is probably not our best solution. (keep refugees on an island that is not part of your country where Charter rights will not apply...read a GITMO Cuba Bush style solution of treatment of refugees is Australia's present strategy) This human trafficking is an international problem requiring international co operation.

The draconian almost red neck Canadian government needs to be watched as it lies and tries to manipulate the emotions of the citizens over the issue of refugees and human traffickers just as some politicians in the US are doing with the Islamic Centre in the US. Politicians who attempt to create wedge issues that tear away at our freedoms need to be watched. They seem to be increasing in several democratic countries.

Long Duck Dong
Sep 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
actually tenni, I was referring to the fact that the canadian law allows for human sex trade trafficking, IE, under the right circumstances, its LEGAL to do it..... most other countries made it ILLEGAL....

and also I am known for calling any country to task, I am neither pro or anti US...... in the same way, I am neither pro or anti NZ and I bloody live there... I am the first person to rip my own country a new asshole over their own failures......

now back to trying to enlightment you about your own countries issue....

we are talking about trafficking thru a countries borders, not sailing around the world in leaky boats as refugees

now in my original post I was pretty clear about borders, not oceans but I will make allowances for the fact that you are a lil confused about the difference between borders and oceans......

now to clarify things, tenni.... the us borders canada..... the us makes sex trade trafficking illegal, canada has loop holes that allow it..... IE the visa exemption...... and that applies to countries like israel, estonia, latvia and korea.......

in case you are still confused.... read this link.....
Human sex trade trafficking (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews//20100913/human-trafficking-report-100913/)

it refers to transporting of people over the border.... not sailing around in boats seeking refugee status..... so could you lay off the US / hetero female bashing long enuf to read and get on the same page as the other posters ...... or are you just gonna side step the issue and go back to US bashing

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
The trafficing of people of ANY kind is a heinious act, but its gunna happen, guys. :( Whereever there is a market for workers and slave labor some asshole is going to find a way to bring then in, weither it be through Canada, or any other state/country, its going to occure. By land, or sea, or under ground means, some dork will make it happen. :(
Cat

tenni
Sep 24, 2010, 9:41 AM
I watched a documentary several months back about human trafficking from Russia. A woman with a child and a husband went with a man to another country to buy goods to be resold in Russia(a common practice a decade or so ago). I'm not certain but it may have been Turkey. The man who had befriend the husband actually sold her to a woman. That woman resold her into a sex trade organization but I'm not certain which country. The woman was held captive and serviced many, many men. Her husband tried to get her back. The officials in Russia or the country that she was held captive were not able to get her released. I don't think that they could find her. The husband eventually, retraced the steps and got to speak to the woman who "owned" her. He presented himself as a potential buyer. Eventually after a three year period, the woman was returned to her husband in a sale. She had become pregnant during that time. Her husband, other child and mother were very grateful for her return. She of course is a shattered woman but at the end of the documentary she was interviewed but found it difficult to discuss what had happened to her. She is blond and I've heard that blonds are a premium in some countries.

As far as this activity in North America, sex trade rings have been broken and people charged in Canada. I do not know how they get these women into Canada but it is through deception and they are kept underground. There are reports that this is going on but it seems that the police find it difficult to find the traffickers. The women apparently are very ignorant of Canadian laws and don't know how to escape. They are probably drugged as well and I believe that the Russian woman was drugged to keep her passive. I think that she became an addict. I would suspect that it may go on in several countries. I understand that human trafficking is also done bringing migrant workers in from Mexico to the USA?

tenni
Oct 10, 2010, 3:01 PM
This took a bit to find this thread.

It has just been released that a human trafficking organization has been broken in my province,,actually fairly close to my city.

Sixteen Hungarians were brought into Canada under false pretenses. They came for a better life and I suspect that is the main reason how people become victims of traffickers. The specific details are still a bit vague as the news just broke. Somehow, the sixteen Hungarians came to Canada as immigrants. The family convinced them somehow to stay with them or the family helped them get immigrant status. For an unknown reason, the Hungarian victims believed that they needed to work for this family at various jobs including construction. They were forced to live in the basement of a house(all 16). They were not paid or paid very little for their work. They were fed very poorly. It is reported that they were treated like slaves.

The reason that this has been broken after 16 ? months of investigation by the police is that one of them reported this to the police(somehow). There is more than likely an abuse of welfare as I think that it was reported that the victims were also collecting welfare (while working for the family?) but never actually got the money themsleves?

Clearly, there are loop holes and taking advantage of Canada's immigration and refugee policies. I suspect that the present government will not only attempt to fix these loopholes but use this and the refugee boat people threat to make wide cutting changes to Canada's refugee policies that will make it difficult for genuine refugees.

Reports also stated that it is suspected that there are many of such similar things going on. The problem is that all of this is taking advantage of ignorant (in the true sense of the word) refugees and immigrants. Bring them to a strange land where they do not know their rights and have no family or support to explain things to them and this can happen. Or, maybe only in Canada?

mikey3000
Oct 10, 2010, 3:56 PM
Also notice who is doing the bulk of the trafficing? It is their fellow countrymen who came here before them. They are being exploited by their own. Look at the names.

DuckiesDarling
Oct 10, 2010, 4:18 PM
Human Trafficking is big money for a lot of unsavory groups, there is a movie called Taken with Liam Neeson that portrays some of the aspects as every caricature we have ever heard in the news. That it's always someone other than the natural citizens who are doing these awful things. That it's always about sex and they always use drugs.

The sad truth is it can be for any reason. Domestic slavery happens all the time around the world. Get someone in from another country with the promise of work, relieve them of their passport and keep them a prisoner in the house. Runaways get picked up off the street, not for sex but for workers in the fields in South America.

Any trafficking of a human being is wrong, from the kidnapping of babies for profitable private adoptions to the free men and women turned into peasants so that others don't have to dirty their hands with jobs they are too good to do, all the way through the young men and women misdirected on holiday and finding themselves caught up in the prostitution industry.

It's when countries have the loopholes that things happen more often. But fixing the loophole won't stop human trafficking in Canada just as it won't stop trafficking in the US or in China or in Australia or in England. It will happen as long as someone somewhere is willing to pay to get what they want.

tenni
Oct 10, 2010, 4:53 PM
"But fixing the loophole won't stop human trafficking in Canada just as it won't stop trafficking in the US or in China or in Australia or in England."

Although there may some truth in this statement, people and countries must not just accept the trafficking. In Canada's case, there have been "talks" with countries where the refugee victims have come from. No clear results. Of course, you make bilateral agreements with one country and then you end up with refugees from a different one being mistreated. They are already refugees and living in a third world country that is not their homeland.

The other day there was a report about how some of these Tamil refugees had been taken advantage of and not even reached Canada. Someone had come to a village and got money from these refugees. Months have passed and they are still waiting for some leaky ship that may sink before it reaches Canada. It is a three month ship travel to get to the west coast of Canada from Thailand. The Canadian government is trying to keep them imprisoned (basically) and slowing down their refugee hearings. Sure, it is really difficult to handle 500 Tamils claims all at once. Sure there are fears of Tamil Tigers amongst the non aligned but that is no certainty that they will act as terrorists here.

I'm not sure how to prevent legal immigrants from falling victims but this story sounds very bad and especially if it is the tip of the iceberg. They are not all placed in the sex trade but somehow they are taken advantage of. Should immigrants be required to report to Immigration in person so that these cases may be found out? They might just lie out of fear of reprisal. I don't think that people who care about other humans should just give up. The criminals who have taken advantage of these people should pay but I wouldn't be surprised if they get bail and disappear back to their own country of Hungary. It probably will take better co operation between countries that are involved one way or other to these crimes. (either the country of origin or the country where they are taken)