PDA

View Full Version : Tornados in NYC?? WTF??? :(

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 18, 2010, 1:49 AM
I certainly hope our friends in NYC are all ok...Can you imagine tornados in Manhatten and downtown New York City???
Jamie sing out and let us know you're ok, Sweetie...:)
Watching this weird assed weather, Cat

DuckiesDarling
Sep 18, 2010, 4:33 AM
Wow, found a link with a vid

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/125611/gallery

Jamie, DJ and all y'all up that neck of the woods let us know you're okay.

It kinda reminds me of that movie Day after Tomorrow where Dennis Quaid is warning about the effects of stuff when all the supercells start to form and merge and yeah........weird weather.

Long Duck Dong
Sep 18, 2010, 4:37 AM
I certainly hope our friends in NYC are all ok...Can you imagine tornados in Manhatten and downtown New York City???
Jamie sing out and let us know you're ok, Sweetie...:)
Watching this weird assed weather, Cat

mmmmm as *blowjobs * go in NYC, you lot do it on a large scale :tong::tong:

keep safe over there...... and remember, nothing wrong with badass *blowjobs * but ya fucked if swallowing means ya house disappears

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 18, 2010, 1:09 PM
Can you imagine an F3 to F5 tornado in downtown Toronto, L.A. Seattle, or any other major big city like that? My God, the devistation would be horrendous. Time to start finding where your shelters are, or start making plans to have one custom Made....:( Theres been more rumblings fro, Mount St Helens up here, too and some smallish quakes by the volcano. Bothers me a smidge because I can see Mt Rainier from my front porch, even tho she's several miles away.
Damn Global warming. Yep, starting to look like the movie that Duckie spoke of, The Day After Tomorrow.....
Concerned Cat

roy m cox
Sep 19, 2010, 5:50 AM
just a part of global warning

and yeah i say warning now in stied of worming it getting to more and more nasty.....

Falke
Sep 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
Wow! Interesting news.

However, while unusual, this is by no means outstanding. There are several other tornado touchdowns in New York state that are a bit more unusual, particularly in the northern part near the Canadian border.

http://www.gendisasters.com/ny/

In short, I wouldn't go down the path screaming global warming as it's just not the case.

Before I go off I leave you with this:

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/faq/faq_tor.php

Where do they come from?

Tornadoes come from the energy released in a thunderstorm. As powerful as they are, tornadoes account for only a tiny fraction of the energy in a thunderstorm. What makes them dangerous is that their energy is concentrated in a small area, perhaps only a hundred yards across. Not all tornadoes are the same, of course, and science does not yet completely understand how part of a thunderstorm's energy sometimes gets focused into something as small as a tornado.

Where do they occur?

Whenever and wherever conditions are right, tornadoes are possible, but they are most common in the central plains of North America, east of the Rocky Mountains and west of the Appalachian Mountains. They occur mostly during the spring and summer; the tornado season comes early in the south and later in the north because spring comes later in the year as one moves northward. They usually occur during the late afternoon and early evening. However, they have been known to occur in every state in the United States, on any day of the year, and at any hour. They also occur in many other parts of the world, including Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America.

If you'd like to plot tornado tracks, download Severe Plot and the associated data from the NOAA Storm Prediction Center.

Has every state had a tornado?

Yes, although some states have many more tornadoes than others.

jamieknyc
Sep 19, 2010, 1:04 PM
Don't worry, I'm fine. The main effect of it was that it screwed up the transit, and it took me an hour and 45 minutes to get home.

The attached picture was taken from my office window at 5:30 pm on Thursday.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 19, 2010, 1:30 PM
Wow Jamie, was that thick fog that came in with the tornado? Its hard to see....But I'm glad to know you are alright Sweetie. Pecks
Cat

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 19, 2010, 1:34 PM
What I meant by damn glabal warming is that this unusual weather all over the world has caused some weird climatic changes. I dont remember a twister waltzing down the big middle of New York during rush hour before. lol It didnt, but anything is possible nowdays.
Cat

Falke
Sep 19, 2010, 7:48 PM
What I meant by damn glabal warming is that this unusual weather all over the world has caused some weird climatic changes. I dont remember a twister waltzing down the big middle of New York during rush hour before. lol It didnt, but anything is possible nowdays.
Cat

It's not even a nowadays. The possibility has always been there, just as I showed in my link here: http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/faq/faq_tor.php

On the global warming, if it is to be taken seriously it need not be used in a chicken little sort of way. Much like the 2005 hurricane season being the cause of Global Warming. (1) Which, if it were true, we should be seeing seasons rivaling that season, which we have not. If one looks, there is generally a good reason for things happening which is worth looking for, rather than immediately pointing at a boogie-man.

(1) http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/2005atlan.shtml
*Note: Click around at the top to see the list of storms and years*

jamieknyc
Sep 19, 2010, 10:11 PM
Wow Jamie, was that thick fog that came in with the tornado? Its hard to see....But I'm glad to know you are alright Sweetie. Pecks
Cat

That isn't fog, that is the rain, thick enough to make it hard to see. The street in the picture is Broadway, a block north of Wall Street.

sephirothtx
Sep 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
according to the US wether center database it read one tornado as an f0-f1
the second was actuyally a microburst, i could go into the long details of that but in lamens terms it is a freak of nature that is kind of an upside down torando, wider weeker base at the bottom stronger funnel wind system in the sky

good thing no planes where brought down as microbursts are a pilots worst nightmare

Falke
Sep 20, 2010, 9:43 AM
according to the US wether center database it read one tornado as an f0-f1
the second was actuyally a microburst, i could go into the long details of that but in lamens terms it is a freak of nature that is kind of an upside down torando, wider weeker base at the bottom stronger funnel wind system in the sky

good thing no planes where brought down as microbursts are a pilots worst nightmare

No kidding. I am sure JFK and LGA have LLWAS in place. That and circumnavigating these sort of cells is easy with on-board radar or visually if the aircraft isn't equipped with radar.

On thanks for the photo Jamie. Good to see all was well, aside from a long commute home!

NotLostJustWandering
Sep 20, 2010, 3:27 PM
I was surprised to hear from my mom that the damage was not so bad in her estimation. She thought the accounts were a bit, ahem, overblown.