PDA

View Full Version : LGBT socs @ uni

RobUK
Sep 9, 2010, 4:59 AM
Hi all!

I'm about to move to another university, and I'm wondering whether to join the LGBT society and was hoping to hear about what any other members who've had any experiences with LGBTs at uni have found.

Although I've been to uni before (this will be the third time), this is the first time I've been seriously considering joining the LGBT. First time, I wasn't too sure of my own sexuality and so wouldn't have considered it. Second time was actually at the same university as before, so although I'd now accepted my own sexuality, if I had joined, I might have ran into people who I'd told that I was straight and so never joined as I don't want to be seen as a liar. Now, I'm OK with my sexuality, the uni's in a different place with new people, so I feel free to join if I want to.

So, I'm interested in hearing of anyone else's experiences of an LGBT at their uni... Are they as accepting as the LGBT name suggests, or are they really just an LGT, the 'B" just being for show, and they're actually full of gay bi-phobes?

Rob
:bibounce:

Besos para ella
Sep 9, 2010, 6:12 AM
Hey Rob,

Im in the same boat as you as far as this goes, i'm just about to start back at uni for my final year :S scary! But i'm reallllllly wanting to join the lgbt society, however like you said, i'm worried of bumping into someone I know or from my course, as I already know of two people that could attend, and as far as they know i'm straight! Unless I can work out if they do go or not, I think i'll look for a different one outside of uni, there must be loads in London!

As for your situation, I would go for it, new uni, new start, you have nothing to lose by trying it! :)

Rugby girl
Sep 9, 2010, 3:52 PM
Hey Rob,

Im in the same boat as you as far as this goes, i'm just about to start back at uni for my final year :S scary! But i'm reallllllly wanting to join the lgbt society, however like you said, i'm worried of bumping into someone I know or from my course, as I already know of two people that could attend, and as far as they know i'm straight! Unless I can work out if they do go or not, I think i'll look for a different one outside of uni, there must be loads in London!

As for your situation, I would go for it, new uni, new start, you have nothing to lose by trying it! :)

Good advice from ubernumpty. I have been tempted to join the one in my college. Only thing is as part of my course I have to treat patients injuries. On top of that there are 16 women and 2 men in my course, and we have to study each others anatomy and practice therapeutic techniques on one another. So if they knew about my sexual identity they may be paranoid, accuse me of awful things and talk about me behind my back if they were to know. So I have refrained.

However if there is no reason not to, then I would go for it personally and would advice you similarly!

RobUK
Sep 9, 2010, 4:55 PM
Good advice from ubernumpty. I have been tempted to join the one in my college. Only thing is as part of my course I have to treat patients injuries. On top of that there are 16 women and 2 men in my course, and we have to study each others anatomy and practice therapeutic techniques on one another. So if they knew about my sexual identity they may be paranoid, accuse me of awful things and talk about me behind my back if they were to know. So I have refrained.

However if there is no reason not to, then I would go for it personally and would advice you similarly!

I guess you're right - I'm studying Classics and German, so not much, um, 'contact' involved.

I just worry that the LGBT may be more bi-phobic than, say, the rugby club (or something else stereotypically 'hetero')...

open2both
Sep 9, 2010, 5:45 PM
Hey, it's COLLEGE! You're SUPPOSED to go for it!
Life's for the LIVING!
:flag2::flag3:

Annika L
Sep 9, 2010, 7:15 PM
It can really depend on what the politics are your specific university...how the majority of students view LGBT issues. These days (in the US) lots of students have the attitude that your sexuality is not their business, and will not judge you based on your orientation...rather unlike when I was a student!

Moreover, lots of universities (at least in the states) have
"Gay-Straight alliance"-type organizations, where membership only really indicates that you support LGBT causes, and does not indicate your sexuality at all. I have no clue whether these are as common in the UK...let me know what you find!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

citystyleguy
Sep 9, 2010, 11:20 PM
...it has been a long time since i went to the uni, but i can tell you this; i chose to do some things and left other things untried. for that which i chose to do, i give thanks for having made that decision, and have never regretted the fact. however, for that which i chose not to do, or let go of, for the most part, it is with great regrets that i didn't go into with eyes wide open, and a bravado to enjoy.

forget those who may react against you, for whatever reason; as to the expectation that you lied, just say it was honestly a confusion, and now have found or at least are trying to find an answer. always remember, to experience the new and different, to explore the unknown, isnt that what the uni is all about?

if they are 'friends' now that later reject, then they were never the friend you took them for, and take it as lesson learned.

so now, go join in, explore and learn, and if not what you thought it would be, go look for it elsewhere! :cool:

softfruit
Sep 10, 2010, 4:48 AM
One of the trickiest things in answering this one is - personal experiences of any given uni will be completely misleading. Whereas most LGBT groups have a broadly similar set of people in charge over many years, uni groups tend to have a much faster rate of "churn", as this year's leaders are next year's finals students and the year after's "does anyone remember" names.

So the place that was red-hot at bi inclusion two years ago could be dire today, and vice versa.

And depending how confident the group runners are at challenging biphobic remarks, one or two people can make the whole space seem unaccepting even if most people are.

The best answer is to proverbially "suck it and see". And try not to let just one person's biphobia put you off - cos wherever you go in life there'll be one plonker.

Most UK unis have a freshers week society fair with stalls from the various societies on show, it might be worth turning up at the LGBT stall with a small bundle of bi leaflets as a "hello, I'd like to join, and I thought these might be useful to add to your stall" donation, and see how they respond. If they take them it'd send out a good signal for other people thinking of joining; if they are hostile you know to wear your sturdiest battle helmet when going along to the meetings!

But then, I'm probably thinking that cos of the stash of bi leaflets in my front room that are looking for a place to go :) :flag4: