Register
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Re: Silly countdown game

Each level of boxes on the pallet was five boxes. That meant after
    four levels I had stacked 20 boxes on a pallet. And I used to do this
    for an employer who had contracts with a client producing the For
    Dummies series of books. The employer I worked for handled packing and
    distribution offsets for their client at a lowered labor cost.

The employer got away with this by only paying half wages to its
    employees who are differently able. There were all kinds of legal
    rationale for them being able to do that, for one there place of work
    was considered a 'sheltered' work environment. Another aspect was many
    employees drew stipend from Social Security and could only earn so much
    from 'work' or 'otherwise'.

Not being on the stipend and finding myself more often than not passed
    over when there was 'work' contracts, made it difficult to stay employed
    there. I took up with a temp service who got me a fill in spot for that
    employers's client at their 'workplace', doing much the same work but
    paid better even with the temp service taking a cut.

The temp service though let me out to hang for a week. During that week
    my wife had applied me for an apple place, got a letter to go to an
    interview. Looked at the HR secretary's signature and knew I had a job.
    I had worked with the gal at another job, she would get me on.

Worked at the apple place for a while as 'seasonal' help. Must have
    somehow integrated as full time, or simply as a favor from the plant
    manager, got 'bumped' into the full timer slot. But I was still let go
    during seasonal layoffs. "The season is done son, so are you. Finish out
    this fortnight shift and then don't come in. Want us to call you back
    next season?"

The job was okay but okay was all. Wife had decided to come back to her
    home in WV. Told the HR man not to give me a call back, had other plans.
    So, there I am. Always seems my creed is 'go, do, move to next, go, do'.

I was raised and trained to be a 'template' person. This means I plug
    into whatever is needed done, fill the hole as best able. Often, I fare
    better than those who are actually doing it. I get lost in the mechanics,
    process and end up being dubbed 'a machine'. Yes, have outworked
    machines at times. Other times in all fairness a machine has put
    me down. No shame or glory either way, only is what it is.
    Last edited by void(); Oct 12, 2015 at 7:27 AM.

I was 19 when I met my partner. ...just
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

I left school at 18 and left my telephone number in my geography teacher's brief case... the bastard never foned!
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    I left school at 18 and left my telephone number in my geography teacher's brief case... the bastard never foned!
    Seriously? He hasn't phoned in 17 years? Hmmm...my guess is that he won't.
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

I'll probably only be up another 16 or so minutes. Wore out today and torqued my back something good. Other muscles are sore on top of the nerves in the back tossing random spasm at me. Dope up with some pain medicines and pass out a few more hours sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika L View Post
    Seriously? He hasn't phoned in 17 years? Hmmm...my guess is that he won't.
    Different no. nowadays, hey? Luckily considering.. back then he cudda had me body 15 and more times a day if he wanted... aaahh how our tastes change. He still teaches at my old school , Annika.. taught Shiv for about a year wen we 1st transferred her in ther. He remembers lickle ole me ok u will surprised 2 hear... spesh as I gave him earache about the lack of fone call wen we went 2 a parents nite last year! Kate and Shiv looked a me as if wos daft.. there he wos 5'9, bald as a snooker ball, thick face hair, 18stone, huge beer gut, shambling in check shirt, cord keks and hush puppies.. and ther wos me trying 2 c wot I saw in this shambles way back wen!

.. the smile and the voice did it as they so often do. They havent changed, Annika.. and the eyes.. the same but older and more world weary...but neither Kate or Shiv saw wot I saw 17 years and more ago... poor man. Wot he missed for lack of a fone call...
    Last edited by darkeyes; Oct 13, 2015 at 4:59 AM.
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

Got up this morn, gassed up the hydraulic ram. I split around 14 logs each weighing roughly 5.36 stone, or 75 lbs. Been splitting them down into what we are calling toothpicks. Each split piece only weighs at most 0.21 stone, or 3 lbs. Splitting this way so mother-in-law, who is not supposed to lift over 5 lbs, can handle a piece at a time to load the wood stove. I also split some what weigh out to around 0.36 stone, or 5 lbs or just a wee bit more. These are so father-in-law has some good nightly 'bank-the-fire' logs.

Would have done more. Had other things to attend. One was continuing work on the dog hut. My suggestion of 3.048 meter long 10.16cm X 10.16cm corner posts proved highly effective, more sound construction. The framing up now is nearly rock solid compared to what we had done, that fell over. Also had to go into town with wife to attend to a few things, stop for a bite of lunch. Got home then and loaded up father-in-law's wood box in his house. I ricked a good bit on his porch earlier, got wood there and took it in. Then, finished up the day at around 18:00 EST by piddling a bit more at the dog hut.

I figure we may end up having it near done tomorrow. Of course, had figured that before too. *chuckles* We'll see.
    Last edited by void(); Oct 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM.

Kidney stones for the past 30 hours. Pain on a scale from 1 to 10? Call it a 13...I'm feeling dramatic.

Evil, evil. If you don't get them, thank you lucky stars. I thought I was done with this shit.

Awwwww a dozen hugs for Annika 2 make 'er betta.. poor darlin'....

Wen I worked for the city council wot seems an age ago now, a luffy ole duffer who worked in next office had stones pounded 2 death by ultra sound wile lying in a pool of water... then passed them in 'is wee... hope they wer well pummelled...

11 more hugs sent to Annika.

10 hugs and back rubs for Annika. I passed one tiny kidney stone and thought I was turning inside out.

Pain meds. Love 'em. Hate 'em. But after being unable to sleep last night, and then going to the ER at 5am, I got 'em and slept 9 hours. I now don't know whether I'm having pain or not. I suspect so. But it's well-masked. Not thinking straight. Not that thinking straight has ever been an especial talent of mine.

Thank you all for your well-wishes, hugs, and back rubs. Now I just need to get rid of this stone. Ugh.

I'll have 8 cords of firewood ricked soon. After that, another two for our family use is needed. Anything more will be sold. Me and father in law discussed it yesterday.

If they fetch it themselves we'll sell them a pickup load for $50. That means they come w/ a pickup, load it and go. If we have to take a load to them, within say a 30 mile radius, we sell for $65 the extra $15 for having to load, haul, unload for them. We'll let some elderly have for nothing, or if they insist on paying we'll knock off 15% and we'll do the same with the infirm what cannot genuinely help themselves if they need. We will also help someone in genuine dire straights.

He says he's got enough to cut up and bring to split for a few years of it. I figure if he gets momentum behind it, he'll 'turn up' a lot more firewood to gather in. We have two big old walnuts that were felled during a storm right out here in our 'bottom'. He's got oak up yon way in some back holler, if he can get to it. *chuckles* He's finding a lot of poplar and sycamore, folks want him to take scrub pine too. He takes some but we're not exactly after pine. It burns too quick and too hot, does not hold fire though. It is good to start on but have some hard wood on it to catch.

I strip him out bark fiber and make big old handfuls of starting nests. He loves it. Says when the fiber dries just a little it sets off like paper. I might play with an idea of dousing the fiber with a light coating of wax. Although if it works as is not sure I'd make it any better fiddling with it. He has clothes dryer lint too if he needs a good starting nest material, that and a little steel wool touched by a 9 volt battery gets you a quick fire starter. Of course, flint and steel cannot be beaten, except maybe by a magnifying lens and hot sun. *chuckles*

Had third class fireman training by the navy. Think I have forgotten more ways to start and stop fires than ought to be legal. With the fireman mentality, I break things down to the fire triangle a lot. To stay warm in Winter for example I set up a triangle of Dry, Sheltered, Fed. Well, I better get some other critters fed before I eat. Got a little to rick this morning too. Run 'er slow.

Quote Originally Posted by void() View Post

Had third class fireman training by the navy. Think I have forgotten more ways to start and stop fires than ought to be legal. With the fireman mentality, I break things down to the fire triangle a lot. To stay warm in Winter for example I set up a triangle of Dry, Sheltered, Fed. Well, I better get some other critters fed before I eat. Got a little to rick this morning too. Run 'er slow.
    Me luffly ole dad, rest 'is soul, wos among other things, a driver and fireman on a heritage railway... peeps do many jobs on these old preserved lines, but fireman was ne dad's least fave.. like most of the ole farts he much preferred his stint of driving! Diff kind of fireman maybe, but a ver skilled job making sure the steam was kept up.. but most important of all, doin' the bacon sausage n egg on the shovel in the firebox... unless one has had a fry up in steam locomotive cab, one as never had a fry up... wile pop wos alive I was sent 2 heaven several times a year in a loco cab early in morning and none was so good as those he or his fireman used 2 do on freezing cold winter days wiv snow on the ground, suffering temperatures of -7c as that train trundled through a blizzard.. frantabulous!
    Last edited by darkeyes; Oct 16, 2015 at 9:02 AM.

6C it should reach tomorrow. I love the Autumnish season!

Unofficial Community Leader

5 days until payday & a haircut & other preps for jury duty of a high- profile 1st degree murder case ! Ambivalent, .....stressing somewhat.
    FIRE IN THE BELLY

4 minutes after 9 pm here

Adding the right 3rd person sounds so delightful...I hope it happens some day.

Quote Originally Posted by void() View Post
    I'll have 8 cords of firewood ricked soon. After that, another two for our family use is needed. Anything more will be sold. Me and father in law discussed it yesterday.

If they fetch it themselves we'll sell them a pickup load for $50. That means they come w/ a pickup, load it and go. If we have to take a load to them, within say a 30 mile radius, we sell for $65 the extra $15 for having to load, haul, unload for them. We'll let some elderly have for nothing, or if they insist on paying we'll knock off 15% and we'll do the same with the infirm what cannot genuinely help themselves if they need. We will also help someone in genuine dire straights.

He says he's got enough to cut up and bring to split for a few years of it. I figure if he gets momentum behind it, he'll 'turn up' a lot more firewood to gather in. We have two big old walnuts that were felled during a storm right out here in our 'bottom'. He's got oak up yon way in some back holler, if he can get to it. *chuckles* He's finding a lot of poplar and sycamore, folks want him to take scrub pine too. He takes some but we're not exactly after pine. It burns too quick and too hot, does not hold fire though. It is good to start on but have some hard wood on it to catch.

I strip him out bark fiber and make big old handfuls of starting nests. He loves it. Says when the fiber dries just a little it sets off like paper. I might play with an idea of dousing the fiber with a light coating of wax. Although if it works as is not sure I'd make it any better fiddling with it. He has clothes dryer lint too if he needs a good starting nest material, that and a little steel wool touched by a 9 volt battery gets you a quick fire starter. Of course, flint and steel cannot be beaten, except maybe by a magnifying lens and hot sun. *chuckles*

so what ur saying is, ur willing to give mark knopler or any of the other 3 members a break, but not anyone in a ds cover band?

oops the same number within 2 minutes of each other.........that's a new 1

i'd add a new comment, but i have 0 ideas for anything clever

Quote Originally Posted by sysper View Post
    i'd add a new comment, but i have 0 ideas for anything clever
    'tis of no consequence... betcha can come up wiv 200 ideas wich r owt but clever...

still having some trouble, maybe i'll go to walmart & buy an idea for $1.99

Quote Originally Posted by sysper View Post
    so what ur saying is, ur willing to give mark knopler or any of the other 3 members a break, but not anyone in a ds cover band?
    LOL

No. We'll help anyone who genuinely needs help. For example a single mom without help for a few kids, no way to pay. We'd help a down on their luck veteran as well. The point being someone has to be genuinely in need. Common sense comes into play. And we're not being judging but if someone can afford paying yet is trying to get something for nothing, it kind of spoils it for everyone. We'd need to charge more than $50 a load if they pick it up, more like $75 - $90. In Charleston it is going for around $200 a dump truck load (about 3 pickup loads). In Parkersburg it's fetching $75 a pickup load, or better. I felt like $50 was a fair price if they load it and go, and they can load it like they want. I'm splitting a variety mix, have 'shingles', 'toothpicks', 'bankers' as my piece classes. Shingle pieces run about 1 lb, toothpicks 1-3 lbs, bankers 5-7 lbs. This helps keep it manageable for anyone, not only the differently able folk. All of it is about 18 inches long, will fit insert fireplaces well.

* has given serious thought to getting a DBA "Rick's Firewood" and then answering only to the name of Rick, just to enjoy the play on words. Imagines someone asking "who is Rick?" "nobody" "then why is it Rick's Firewood?" "Read it aloud three times, it's what I do." .... "Oooooh ..." *
    Last edited by void(); Oct 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM.

i just weighed myself 198 lbs

197 days until my nieces 17th birthday��

6 days ago i could of said 196 days but i missed that chance so today i gotta go with rte 190 which runs from the thruway through buffalo, grand island & niagara falls to the canadian border. i hope i did my math right lol.

Just bought frozen peas they cost $1.89

Reboot in progress
    System health: 2020
    Starting cryogenic thaw
    Cryogenic thaw: successful
    Restarting...
    Reboot in progress
    Alert: virus detected in atmosphere; checking local systems
    Local systems: healthy
    Thread Loaded
    Resuming thread

What the hell? Some tried to revive this in 2017? And it only made it to 188?? Poor Fran looks like the loser here.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika L View Post
    Reboot in progress
    Starting cryogenic thaw
    Cryogenic thaw: successful
    Restarting...
    Reboot in progress
    Alert: virus detected in atmosphere; checking local systems
    Local systems: healthy
    Thread Loaded
    Resuming thread

What the hell? Some tried to revive this in 2017? And it only made it to 188?? Poor Fran looks like the loser here.
    Dont matter luffly 1.. Win lose.. Live die... Won some lost some, lived some died not at all.. yet! Nice cuppla weeks up north, nice drive home, nice cosy evenin hugglin' on couch.. babba at mamma's happy after reg visits 2 big birdies n big babba birdies!!!!

10 2 11 in evenin'... life is gud... healthy.. Bizzy! Triff!

Hope reboot comes off! Kissie.