Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: My life as a bisexual wife

I can relate to your story totally! I am married to a great guy, and have 2 kids. He use to say, "adding someone to the bedroom, never turns out good." But after I told him a friend of mine, who was closer to him, kissed me...he got ideas. That is when I realized that I can't deny my feelings for women! I think I was like 26. Now we are always considering different girls to join us.
    Last edited by zbelly_32; Aug 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM. Reason: typo

I am new to this site and your thread was the first thing I read. Wow I felt like it was my life in black and white written out so clearly. Thank you for helping me to not feel so alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by still_shy View Post
    ***I wrote this over a year ago but felt the need to share it with Bi.com despite my misgivings about trolls and such. Maybe there’s a woman out there who’s struggling with her attractions to women or someone who believes negative things about bisexuals. Hopefully this will help at least one person. My life has changed in some MAJOR ways since I wrote this. My family and I moved to Texas from Southern Indiana a little over a month ago. Any new friends I meet in Texas will know that I’m bi…I don’t feel like I have to tiptoe around anymore since we live in a pretty progressive area (thank god). There are groups I can join and places I can go to meet women, without feeling like a weirdo. The other thing that’s changed is I don’t question or damn my bisexuality anymore. I love that part of me and am completely comfortable with it. It just took some getting used to!

I am your average 31 year old married mom. I live in Southern Indiana in a big house on the edge of town. I go to college and adore my pets. My daughter and I like to go to yard sales and shop at Goodwill. I love going camping in the summer and spending time with my family. I love my husband so much it hurts. On the surface, I look like the most average person in the world. In reality, I'm nothing like that. I am bisexual. This might not sound like a big deal but for me, it was life-shaking. I was blissfully unaware for most of my life that I was attracted to women. I couldn't understand why I avoided the friendship of women, why I would get that funny feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever a pretty girl smiled at me. Most people won't understand how something like that can go unnoticed for over half your life. If you're not looking for it, you'll never see it. Bisexuality is like a disease if it's unrecognized. It slowly seeps into every aspect of your life until your relationships suffer and you feel like you're lost in a fog. Once it's acknowledged, it becomes a quest, something that you want to learn everything about and experience all at once.

As a bisexual woman living in the heart of the Midwest, it's tough. I can't tell my friends and family that I date women outside my marriage, I have to hide the bi-themed books I read and keep my feelings to myself. No one except my husband knows what the pink, blue and purple bracelet on my right wrist means. Being bi has had its ups and downs for me. Some days I hate it. I hate being so attracted to the waitress in a restaurant that I stutter when she asks me if I need anything. I hate trolling the dating sites looking for a woman who doesn't mind dating a couple. I hate feeling like no one really knows me, except for my husband and the women I've dated. On the other hand, I love kissing a woman. I love the way her skin feels next to mine. I love the tender, romantic way women court each other. I love and nurture the part of me where my bisexuality lives. I love the way my life feels finally complete when I have a woman in it.

My husband and I have a very strong marriage. It wasn't always this way. Before I admitted my bisexuality, I was closed off and disinterested in sex. Now I feel like there's nothing I couldn't tell him. He understands my need to be with a woman and doesn't get jealous when I check out a girl in the grocery store. Our experiments in and out of the bedroom have strengthened our marriage to the point where I know without a doubt he is my best friend and soul mate. I know it's hard for the mainstream public to understand why a couple would want to open their marriage up to another person. For me, it wasn't a choice as much as it was a necessity. I needed to be with a woman in order to be happy. If I wasn't with a woman, then I needed to acknowledge that I wanted to be. Just being able to admit to myself and him how attracted to women I am has changed my life. I believe I could go the rest of my life without being with another woman. As long as I have my husband by my side, I would be fine. Of course, I am lucky enough to have the option to date women and explore my sexuality. I don't have to find out what life is like ignoring the fact that I'm bi. I consider myself a very lucky woman to have a wonderful, supportive husband.

My first foray into dating outside my marriage was disastrous. I met someone who was completely wrong for me but I was so anxious to experience being with a woman that I ignored all the signs. It grew to the point where my husband was resentful of her and she was jealous of him. Since then, we've adjusted our expectations and found what works. Dating another woman together has it's ups and downs. I remember the first time he was openly attracted to someone and what it felt like when he kissed her for the first time. I was devastated. I remember thinking, “So this is what he feels like when he sees me kiss a woman.” The ensuing night was phenominal but those first few moments were rough for me. Another experience taught me the value of being very clear and upfront about what I was looking for. Yet another experience taught me not to get my hopes up, a lot of women are toying with the idea of being bisexual when, in reality, they have no intention of ever acting upon it. In the last few years, I've been built up and let down more than I have seen things follow through. I've been led on and had twice as many dates cancelled than I have been on. The dating world for a married woman is brutal but I have hope that eventually the right woman will come my way. I have to believe that.

I'm not “out” to anyone, other than my husband and a couple of friends. I don't intend for my family to ever know I am bi. I understand the need to come out, to finally have no more secrets from the people you care about. For me, it would be disastrous so I avoid the subject entirely. I don't think I need my mom to know I sleep with women in order to be a true bisexual. When you're dating women, that's one of the first questions they ask. Are you “out” and to whom? I'm not opposed to coming out, I think it's right for some people and not good for others. In my life, there aren't many people who would understand my need to be with women and my husband's understanding of that need. Southern Indiana isn't exactly a progressive state like that. Around here, you're considered the oddity if you're gay. Gay people are laughed at, made fun of, and in general, avoided. Coming out for me would mean my daughter would be aware of my sex life, something I really want to avoid. I don't think it's anyone's business what and who my husband and I do in our bedroom. There are people who chastise me for not coming out. I've been called a closet bisexual and more, in chat rooms and by women I've tried to date. Maybe I am but it's my decision to make. I don't need the complications in my life right now. When my husband and I move away to another state, away from our family, I probably will be more open about my sexuality.

Living in a closed minded Southern Indiana town as a bisexual is hard. There are no groups I can belong to, no one I can really trust. I feel like I lead a double life. On one hand, I'm a devoted wife and mother, a college student and on the other hand, I'm a bisexual woman who is in an open marriage. When I talk to my friends, as few as they are, I can't really be myself. I feel like I'm putting on an act. It's hard when I hear people talk about how bisexual people can't make up their mind. I've heard people say bisexuals just need to pick a sex and stick with it. Believe me, we would if we could. It's not easy being attracted to both sexes. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Although it's hard, I love myself as I am and wouldn't change. Being bisexual isn't something you can turn off and on like a switch. It's as deeply a part of your genetic makeup as eye color. There have been many times in the last few years that I have wished it away as hard as I could.

The other thing being bisexual has taught me is the value of loving and accepting myself. Okay, really it was my husband who taught me that but it was a result of being bi. I've learned that I can't stuff myself into a cookie cutter mold of what I think the perfect wife and mother is. The day I realized I was bi was also the day I took all of those preconceived notions and threw them straight out the window. Not that it was instantaneous, it was a long, difficult process of soul-searching and self-discovery. It was so hard to realize I was never going to be the woman I imagined I would be when I was growing up. I had to take everything I believed and shatter it. My image of self shifted. I'm still a great mom and wife like I always wanted. I'm still the person I worked really hard to be. I'm just a slightly different person and that's okay with me.

Really interesting thread, thanks for posting.

My wife has always been very bi-curious. She had several close calls with other women in college (a crush on a roommate), etc. But never experimented. Although she did share the the first time she ever masturbated (wasn't until college) was the first time she saw two women kiss in movie.

About 5-years into our marriage, she suggested that we go to strip club. I was nervious, because she is fairly reserved. She had a great time, and we had the best sex of my life that night, week, etc.

So, for about 2-years, at least once a month, we'd go to a club. She'd get a bunch of dances, etc. We started reading bisexual erotica, watching bisexual videos, etc. All was good.

Then, one time we went to a club, she got a dance, and wanted to get a longer dance, so we got a private room. The second we were in the room, my wife and the dancer were making about, my wife let her go down on her, etc. This went on for 30 sold mintues. They were really going at it.

Well, on the drive home, she kept telling me that she was straight, now she knows she's straight, etc. And we've hardly had a sex life since then.

I've always been confused by this turn of event. I personally think she's BI but doesn't want to admit it ... or something.

Any advice??

Thanks,
    James

All I can say is wow!!! I am new to this site and I can relate...I have known my whole life that I was attracted to both sexes but growing up in Indiana I kept it myself for the most part..It took awhile for me to come out to my husband but when I did I felt a weight lifted..we have had our share of threesomes and we have talked about finding that special woman to become our girlfriend so I hope with time we will..Again thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by still_shy View Post
    ***I wrote this over a year ago but felt the need to share it with Bi.com despite my misgivings about trolls and such. Maybe there’s a woman out there who’s struggling with her attractions to women or someone who believes negative things about bisexuals. Hopefully this will help at least one person. My life has changed in some MAJOR ways since I wrote this. My family and I moved to Texas from Southern Indiana a little over a month ago. Any new friends I meet in Texas will know that I’m bi…I don’t feel like I have to tiptoe around anymore since we live in a pretty progressive area (thank god). There are groups I can join and places I can go to meet women, without feeling like a weirdo. The other thing that’s changed is I don’t question or damn my bisexuality anymore. I love that part of me and am completely comfortable with it. It just took some getting used to!

I am your average 31 year old married mom. I live in Southern Indiana in a big house on the edge of town. I go to college and adore my pets. My daughter and I like to go to yard sales and shop at Goodwill. I love going camping in the summer and spending time with my family. I love my husband so much it hurts. On the surface, I look like the most average person in the world. In reality, I'm nothing like that. I am bisexual. This might not sound like a big deal but for me, it was life-shaking. I was blissfully unaware for most of my life that I was attracted to women. I couldn't understand why I avoided the friendship of women, why I would get that funny feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever a pretty girl smiled at me. Most people won't understand how something like that can go unnoticed for over half your life. If you're not looking for it, you'll never see it. Bisexuality is like a disease if it's unrecognized. It slowly seeps into every aspect of your life until your relationships suffer and you feel like you're lost in a fog. Once it's acknowledged, it becomes a quest, something that you want to learn everything about and experience all at once.

As a bisexual woman living in the heart of the Midwest, it's tough. I can't tell my friends and family that I date women outside my marriage, I have to hide the bi-themed books I read and keep my feelings to myself. No one except my husband knows what the pink, blue and purple bracelet on my right wrist means. Being bi has had its ups and downs for me. Some days I hate it. I hate being so attracted to the waitress in a restaurant that I stutter when she asks me if I need anything. I hate trolling the dating sites looking for a woman who doesn't mind dating a couple. I hate feeling like no one really knows me, except for my husband and the women I've dated. On the other hand, I love kissing a woman. I love the way her skin feels next to mine. I love the tender, romantic way women court each other. I love and nurture the part of me where my bisexuality lives. I love the way my life feels finally complete when I have a woman in it.

My husband and I have a very strong marriage. It wasn't always this way. Before I admitted my bisexuality, I was closed off and disinterested in sex. Now I feel like there's nothing I couldn't tell him. He understands my need to be with a woman and doesn't get jealous when I check out a girl in the grocery store. Our experiments in and out of the bedroom have strengthened our marriage to the point where I know without a doubt he is my best friend and soul mate. I know it's hard for the mainstream public to understand why a couple would want to open their marriage up to another person. For me, it wasn't a choice as much as it was a necessity. I needed to be with a woman in order to be happy. If I wasn't with a woman, then I needed to acknowledge that I wanted to be. Just being able to admit to myself and him how attracted to women I am has changed my life. I believe I could go the rest of my life without being with another woman. As long as I have my husband by my side, I would be fine. Of course, I am lucky enough to have the option to date women and explore my sexuality. I don't have to find out what life is like ignoring the fact that I'm bi. I consider myself a very lucky woman to have a wonderful, supportive husband.

My first foray into dating outside my marriage was disastrous. I met someone who was completely wrong for me but I was so anxious to experience being with a woman that I ignored all the signs. It grew to the point where my husband was resentful of her and she was jealous of him. Since then, we've adjusted our expectations and found what works. Dating another woman together has it's ups and downs. I remember the first time he was openly attracted to someone and what it felt like when he kissed her for the first time. I was devastated. I remember thinking, “So this is what he feels like when he sees me kiss a woman.” The ensuing night was phenominal but those first few moments were rough for me. Another experience taught me the value of being very clear and upfront about what I was looking for. Yet another experience taught me not to get my hopes up, a lot of women are toying with the idea of being bisexual when, in reality, they have no intention of ever acting upon it. In the last few years, I've been built up and let down more than I have seen things follow through. I've been led on and had twice as many dates cancelled than I have been on. The dating world for a married woman is brutal but I have hope that eventually the right woman will come my way. I have to believe that.

I'm not “out” to anyone, other than my husband and a couple of friends. I don't intend for my family to ever know I am bi. I understand the need to come out, to finally have no more secrets from the people you care about. For me, it would be disastrous so I avoid the subject entirely. I don't think I need my mom to know I sleep with women in order to be a true bisexual. When you're dating women, that's one of the first questions they ask. Are you “out” and to whom? I'm not opposed to coming out, I think it's right for some people and not good for others. In my life, there aren't many people who would understand my need to be with women and my husband's understanding of that need. Southern Indiana isn't exactly a progressive state like that. Around here, you're considered the oddity if you're gay. Gay people are laughed at, made fun of, and in general, avoided. Coming out for me would mean my daughter would be aware of my sex life, something I really want to avoid. I don't think it's anyone's business what and who my husband and I do in our bedroom. There are people who chastise me for not coming out. I've been called a closet bisexual and more, in chat rooms and by women I've tried to date. Maybe I am but it's my decision to make. I don't need the complications in my life right now. When my husband and I move away to another state, away from our family, I probably will be more open about my sexuality.

Living in a closed minded Southern Indiana town as a bisexual is hard. There are no groups I can belong to, no one I can really trust. I feel like I lead a double life. On one hand, I'm a devoted wife and mother, a college student and on the other hand, I'm a bisexual woman who is in an open marriage. When I talk to my friends, as few as they are, I can't really be myself. I feel like I'm putting on an act. It's hard when I hear people talk about how bisexual people can't make up their mind. I've heard people say bisexuals just need to pick a sex and stick with it. Believe me, we would if we could. It's not easy being attracted to both sexes. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Although it's hard, I love myself as I am and wouldn't change. Being bisexual isn't something you can turn off and on like a switch. It's as deeply a part of your genetic makeup as eye color. There have been many times in the last few years that I have wished it away as hard as I could.

The other thing being bisexual has taught me is the value of loving and accepting myself. Okay, really it was my husband who taught me that but it was a result of being bi. I've learned that I can't stuff myself into a cookie cutter mold of what I think the perfect wife and mother is. The day I realized I was bi was also the day I took all of those preconceived notions and threw them straight out the window. Not that it was instantaneous, it was a long, difficult process of soul-searching and self-discovery. It was so hard to realize I was never going to be the woman I imagined I would be when I was growing up. I had to take everything I believed and shatter it. My image of self shifted. I'm still a great mom and wife like I always wanted. I'm still the person I worked really hard to be. I'm just a slightly different person and that's okay with me.
    oh my gosh . thats exactly how i feel,your story made me cry,it reminded me soo ... much of myself ..all i can say is WOW !!!

wow thats deep ..

It's truly amazing....a month ago, shortly after I posted this thread, I dropped my laptop and broke the hard drive. I hate to think that I missed all of these wonderful comments!! I'm so glad that people can relate to my story...thank you all for being so kind!
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. Emily Dickinson

And also for those of you who wrote me PM's and messages on here, I will be trying my best to get all of them answered in the next day or so Thanks for your patience!
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. Emily Dickinson

Two years later and your brave post is still reaching out and helping people. Did you have any idea of the impact you would have?

I am recently separated from my husband and a mother of two beautiful girls. When we met, I declared my bisexuality up front, only to have it swept under the rug after our marriage vows. Many, many things went wrong in our relationship that made it essential for me to leave, and one of the major things I struggle with now is indeed my sexuality. I live in a city in the south with a church on every corner, where issues of sexuality can be "healed with prayer". I have no family, a handful of friends (one of which I recently opened up to) and two little girls that I am raising. On the nights they are with their father I ponder the idea of dating again and sometimes I think about a boyfriend and sometimes I think about a girlfriend. Candidly, I'll admit that inhale watched soft lesbian porn before thinking to myself "this turns everyone on, right? Just because I'm excited doesn't mean i'm gay.. Or bi.." and so it's an ongoing struggle. I am even afraid to try and meet someone in case they know me, recognize me, or identify me with my children. I'm so scared I would bring ridicule and animosity into their life through no fault of their own. There are so many issues surrounding the complexity of being a bisexual mother in today's society that it completely blows my mind. Throw in loneliness and depression and it's the perfect storm.

Yet I find strength and courage each day to wake up, be as honest with myself as I can be, and just keep searching for people who will accept me and love me just the way that I am.

Again, thank you for sharing your story - I've been searching for one like mine for such a very long time.

Perhaps it has been two years, but the core of the story holds true today as then. Each of us wishes to find a partner in life where each is encouraged to grow and develop as a person and if we are lucky in a relationship. Getting two people on the same page at the same time is not often easy. I know I have been there. But with open honest communication and frankly in my thoughts the hardest thing...being honest with one's self, only then can we move forward.

Belle

i like your post as still shy. It's always easier when u can just agree to open up your marraige too. I'm starting to find that I can't deny the fact I want to be with women sexually and holding it in .. is only making me want to have sex less with my hubby. It's really ruining our sex life in a bad way as well as our marraige. We have had a bit of a rocky process to accepting I'm bi.

A lot of my friends know I'm bi.. and are okay with it ..and my hubby is okay with me being bi.. It's just he hasen't gotten to the point where he's totally okay with me dating women on the side. It's been difficult morally .. to feel like this is okay for our marraige too .. but I'm getting to a point where I know I either need to be able to do this .. or the marraige is over.

I keep walking around all day looking at women and lesbian couples and just being frustrated I can't physically connect with a woman. It's getting to a point where sometimes I don't even want to kiss my hubby.. does this seem strange?

Last weekend I told my hubby i wanted to leave the marraige and move out .. but he really wanted me to stay and told me how much he loved me. That was great and nice to hear.. just not enough too.
    He said he would like to figure out the whole thing of me dating women... but he was also kinda vague about whether it would happen and when.
    I know I'm being pushy and I don't want him to be unhappy .. but how do u get to a point where u work out a happy medium.

I hear some people on this site. go on and on about how their one sex and their perfectly happy and can be monogomous... i just really feel like that's not possible for me... i love the connection i have mentally with my hubby .. but sexually i can't help being constantly attracted to woman.all the time .
    i've been looking for someone's advise on the matter and i feel like u might be the person;

since most of my straight or gay friends.. don't really know what to say lol

Artsy girl3

I'd love to meet a lady like you and fall in love.. together as a bi couple would be heavenly...

Bringing this back up to the top for a friend who wants to read

Great post, I'm in a very similar situation. Finding it very important to not deny who I am. Something about saying it out loud to another person makes you feel less invissible.

Glad you bumped this thread back up, as I had missed it years ago. I hope things are still going good for you Still Shy

Shy. Honey. You are still a Fantastic lady, and those of us who know you still love and respect you deeply. You just keep on keepin' on, and be You.
    PS I'd still throw ya down and ravish you in a heartbeat if I ever got the chance!!!!...snicker.
    Yer silly Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Shy, I'm glad you've become more comfortable with yourself and I think it's great that you and your husband are working through the issues.

James, it sounds like your wife may have been scared by experiencing the feelings of that sort of attraction or she finally tried it and didn't like it as much as she thought she would? Sometimes people are attracted more emotionally/platonically than physically or sexually (and vice versa).. I'm single but if it were my partner I think it would be worth having an honest discussion just to see how she felt about the experience. (wow 2010 - I wonder if he's still on here)

Quote Originally Posted by james4u4ever View Post
    Really interesting thread, thanks for posting.

Then, one time we went to a club, she got a dance, and wanted to get a longer dance, so we got a private room. The second we were in the room, my wife and the dancer were making about, my wife let her go down on her, etc. This went on for 30 sold mintues. They were really going at it.

Well, on the drive home, she kept telling me that she was straight, now she knows she's straight, etc. And we've hardly had a sex life since then.

I've always been confused by this turn of event. I personally think she's BI but doesn't want to admit it ... or something.

Any advice??

Thanks,
    James

Elian i thought the same thing. I was going to respond to his question but it's been a while. Regardless, good advice

Oh Cat....You are one hell of a woman, you know that? You have my utmost respect and half of my lust lol

I've been through the same. Not many people accept bisexual people. Only my husband knows about my sexuality. Me
    & hubby were talking about having an open marriage, because I have the urge to be with a woman.

It can take a while when we start meeting up other people, but hopefully it can strengthen our marriage like it did yours.

That is a really good way to write about being attracted to both sexes. I enjoy both sexes too, but I would never come out to just anybody. I would prefer that only those people that are in the life-style know for the same reasons you stated !!!

LOl Well thank you Miss! I have no prob in sharing that lust with that handsome hunk you're married to..LOL
    Muahs..:}
    Yer Cat.
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the read, for allowing me into an intimate part of your life. For the record, with the exception of an understanding husband, your story is mine. Same struggles, same fears, same anxiety, same desires. Just when I felt alone, here you show up with a similar song in your heart and it places a sense of hope in mine. Glad our paths have crossed, you inspire my journey in self acceptance.

You're welcome. There's a quote i see all the time that i think is completely overused but suits this situation. "It may not be easy, but it will always be worth it." The way i see it is the better you know and accept yourself, the easier your life will be. That doesn't mean you have to act on it....just accept it if it's there. To me, it's as much a part of a person as wanting to sleep with the opposite sex.....we don't often try to change that. I wrote above about trying to wish it away, hell i even tried to pray it away. I just felt like my life was complicated enough without adding more to it. All that brought me was heartache and unhappiness. I understand that my situation was different because i had the support of my husband but really.....90% of the battle is internal. You have my support and friendship if there's anything i can do to help.

I think we wrote the same narrative upon the realization of being bi. Love it. and thank you! I get and it and have experienced it. Appreciate your thoughts and sharing!
    Kitten
    The smallest feline is a masterpiece. -Leonardo DaVinci

Hi Shy,

First of all, WELCOME BACK after a long absence. In re-reading your post, I am in awe of how you have managed to hit the nail on the head for so many of the feeling that bisexuals who are not out have. Coming to terms internally is SO important in my estimation and I cannot stress having a supportive partner means. Glad your back.

Belle in Boston

Thanks for sharing your story.

Shy, I sat and thought for awhile about how to respond to your original post. And it all boiled down to this: Thank you.

Thank you so much for posting this & showing that it can be done to be married with kids and to explore your bi side. I'm newly into this side of myself & this was so helpful! Thanks!

*Chuckles fondly* You see how much you have touched people, My Sweet? Even after all of this time since the original post, you affect people's lives in a good, warm, positive light, and its a beautiful thing..just like you. :}
    Keep up the good work Darlin.
    Muahs
    Yer Cat.
    Minx

Robert A. Heinlein

This has to be by far the post of the year. Seems you have wrote a post that sums up a lot of others feelings or things that we all have struggled with. I've struggle with the label of being bi all my life and still do to some degree. It took me years to open up to my wife about bi feelings, and when I did ,,,, even if she had not accepted my bi feelings . It took the weight of the world off my shoulders, but I've got the best partner, best friend, sole mate and wife in the world . She is wise beyond her years , and when she was ok with my feelings . I was overwhelmed with relief. But you Shy should be proud of yourself for writing g such a positive and inspiring post . Thank you and good luck in your new town with your new friends . :-)

Wow I just seen this post was written back in 2010 , And it still receives so many positive responded. So I guess I need to take back what I said about this post being the post of the year.

It's the post of the Decade :-)
    Last edited by hydropop; Feb 8, 2014 at 6:42 AM.