Register

Unisex bathrooms

How do you feel about unisex restrooms? Where would they be appropriate?

When we were visiting the LGBTQ outreach center, we used the restroom which was labeled "The Johns" and was available for all people to use without regard to whatever point on the sex continuum you identify with. I found this to be very appropriate for this venue.

However, as my husband and I talked about the issue, we also realize that this is not appropriate for every venue. For instance, I would be uncomfortable with a unisex restroom in a truck stop or a high school; but I would have no problem with it for doctors in a hospital, etc.

Your thoughts?
    True love stories have no endings

Re: Unisex bathrooms

Quote Originally Posted by labenedict View Post
    How do you feel about unisex restrooms? Where would they be appropriate?

When we were visiting the LGBTQ outreach center, we used the restroom which was labeled "The Johns" and was available for all people to use without regard to whatever point on the sex continuum you identify with. I found this to be very appropriate for this venue.

However, as my husband and I talked about the issue, we also realize that this is not appropriate for every venue. For instance, I would be uncomfortable with a unisex restroom in a truck stop or a high school; but I would have no problem with it for doctors in a hospital, etc.

Your thoughts?
    I felt very evolved going into the unisex batheroom with my wife by my side. In fact, we walked in at the same time another male was going in. It was an enlightening experience. Pleasantly surprised. I agree that they are not universal. Truck stops would not be very appropriate. Hospitals, universities, and business offices would be more apt to have a successful unisex bathroom. Keep in mind that there was a separate room for those who preferred urinals.
    "Remember; if you can't resolve your conflicts with the power of the word...hit them with your laptop!"--© 1998 J.E. Benedict

How was it appropriate to have a unisex restroom at the LGBTQ outreach center? What in the name of God goes on there?

Most of our homes have unisex bathrooms. When we come to larger rooms used for toileting, it seems to change if there is more than one toilet. I've been in a washroom where women walked in from the outside but I have no idea if that was the norm. I was at the urinal and surprised but it didn't stop the flow if you know what I mean.

As a man, I would not be comfortable with a woman walking by me while using a urinal all the time. It is actually surprising that there are a good number of men who are not even comfortable using a urinal with other men present. They may find a woman walking by even more difficult. I don't think that men would be pleased to get rid of urinals though. We know that it is faster in the men's room with urinals and that women complain about the delay with closed in toilets! If you still had another room of urinals, I bet a lot of guys would go there but some who don't like urinals would go to the unisex closed in toilets.

As far as being in gay bars, some sexy messing around goes on there Gear. I don't know if having women in the same room would reduce things. Not all the time messing around but much more than a regular men's washroom in a straight bar. And the gay guys actually talk a lot in the w/c unlike most guys in a john.
    Last edited by tenni; Apr 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM.

There are same sex relationships all over the place...OMG we are all gonna burn in hell!
    "Remember; if you can't resolve your conflicts with the power of the word...hit them with your laptop!"--© 1998 J.E. Benedict

For instance, a biological woman who keeps her hair short and wears "manly" clothing. If she enters a woman's restroom, other women might think she's a perverted man. But if she walks into a man's restroom, they may think that she's asking for other inappropriate behavior. I can say similar things for men who wish to dress more feminine than other men would appreciate. In this type of bathroom, no one judges. No one cares what you look like or how you identify.

I suppose if they wish, people will find a place to have what passes for sex in a public bathroom...but I don't think they need a unisex bathroom for that

Quote Originally Posted by labenedict View Post
    For instance, a biological woman who keeps her hair short and wears "manly" clothing. If she enters a woman's restroom, other women might think she's a perverted man. But if she walks into a man's restroom, they may think that she's asking for other inappropriate behavior. I can say similar things for men who wish to dress more feminine than other men would appreciate. In this type of bathroom, no one judges. No one cares what you look like or how you identify.

I suppose if they wish, people will find a place to have what passes for sex in a public bathroom...but I don't think they need a unisex bathroom for that
    Oh it's appropriate due to CD's? Don't know why I thought it would be something to do with sex.

But lets suppose an orgy did break out for some reason (maybe there was a MR & MRs oiled up beauty 2013 competition?), it would get pretty confusing for the L&G in that LGBTQ restroom with all those CD's in full swing I imagine.
    I'm thinking discreet lapel tags! That might work! Bi males hitting on a lesbian tag team can't happen Labenedict sweetheart! There'd be trouble! It just can't happen!
    Discreet lapel tags! That'll stop it I pray to God!

Hey, it could happen. Maybe we will be luckey enough to be there when it does.

God forbid.. in some places, pubs, clubs, restaurants. malls, we hav a long enuff wait in a queue all 2 often wivout having 2 have a longer wait cos we had 2 line up behind guys an all! Ok for u.. line up have wee in urinals and ther r generally far more urinals in gents than ther ever r cubicles in ne ladies..... they full... pop in 2 cubicles and ther r usually at least as many as them in gents as in ladies...... well. we don't hav urinals at all.. and am not goin' in2 public loo after u lot have iffed place out!! I write this in jest for a giggle really.. but it dus hav serious point... wereva ya go... so forget it!!!
    Last edited by darkeyes; Apr 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM.
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

Quote Originally Posted by jebenedict View Post
    I felt very evolved going into the unisex batheroom with my wife by my side. In fact, we walked in at the same time another male was going in. It was an enlightening experience. Pleasantly surprised. I agree that they are not universal. Truck stops would not be very appropriate. Hospitals, universities, and business offices would be more apt to have a successful unisex bathroom. Keep in mind that there was a separate room for those who preferred urinals.
    Evolved pretty much nails it. I've been at events, music and sports ,where the ladies restrooms were overwhelmed. I personally had no problem with the ladies using men's restroom. Sure some folks might not be mature enough to handle the situation, cat calls and such, but most of the guys at these events treated the situation in a matter of fact manner.

It's quite common in Scandinavia these days, and they have no problems with it.
    First,God created man, then woman, then temptation,then confusion

They are not a big deal. I have been in doctor's offices, hospitals, dentist offices, bars, shopping malls/stores, and all sort of public places that have them. I've never seen them in gyms but that's different.

Unisex loos are popping up all over the place - and as long as the urinals are discretely mounted, so what.

I take up Darkeyes position that there are always queues at major events for the ladies, the men just seem to swan in and out;
    Do what I do - I have often used the gents loos at the races and at theaters and outdoor events. No one seems to mind

If only they would put urinals in women's loos, the problem would be alleviated by a large percentage. Trust me, peeing standing up is not hard to do.

Make them all stalls, problem goes away.. ?

In a lot of new building we build there are men's, women's and "family" bathroom. I always thought it was fairly stupid that if they were small bathrooms (room for one) and there was a line of people waiting and a free bathroom that you couldn't use any one that is free. Course boys tend to like to play with their hose too much, urine everywhere. I guess this was society's attempt to be "civil" - same reason men were not allowed in the delivery room to watch their babies being born? Conservative people around here will have fun with this. They are already having a coronary over the FDA lowering the age required for "morning after pill".

Of course restrooms rooms really used to be "rest rooms" - with attendants and couches, etc. We are in too much of a hurry, too short sighted and too cheap to bother with any of that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Young pussy and dope View Post
    They are not a big deal. I have been in doctor's offices, hospitals, dentist offices, bars, shopping malls/stores, and all sort of public places that have them. I've never seen them in gyms but that's different.
    In my experience, those unisex bathrooms in most Dr.'s offices, grocery stores, etc. are a room with a single toilet, a sink, and a door where men and women use one at a time. What I am talking about is a room with many stalls of toilets, and a separate area for urinals where men and women use at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by elian View Post
    Make them all stalls, problem goes away.. ?

They are already having a coronary over the FDA lowering the age required for "morning after pill".

Of course restrooms rooms really used to be "rest rooms" - with attendants and couches, etc. We are in too much of a hurry, too short sighted and too cheap to bother with any of that now.
    I agree, the use of stalls is the solution.
    I agree with allowing the "morning after pill" over the counter for all ages.
    On the attendants and couches: a few (cough, cough) years ago, a co-worker asked me why the women's bathroom has chairs while the men's bathrooms don't. I said that it was because men don't breastfeed their babies. That was the end of THAT conversation

Personally, I don't want to lounge in a public bathroom, but if a company is going to provide couches in the Ladies' room, they should also provide them in the Mens'

Why the hell not? behind closed doors of cubicles, who can see? Besides, most of public restrooms are just a room with a locked door.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedInSeattle View Post
    Why the hell not? behind closed doors of cubicles, who can see? Besides, most of public restrooms are just a room with a locked door.
    I agree. The urinals are in a private "men only" room. So the stalls should be unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    well. we don't hav urinals at all.. and am not goin' in2 public loo after u lot have iffed place out!!
    I'm not a fan of the unisex bathroom idea. But I'll say this to darkeyes.

Having routinely used both mens' and womens' rooms, I can testify that neither is cleaner than the other. Both sexes can be pretty disgusting pigs when left to themselves. And although I've seen more pee splashed on mens' rooms floors, I have never seen blood there. I can't say that for womens' rooms.

So much for the conventional wisdom that women are tidier and more hygienic than men.

tm

I did not read all the reply's , so just my comment here is that had them in Bars in Europe and Thailand and a few other places. No problem with it at all then. Would not feel comfortable with them in places used by under age kids.