Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisexual Values

Bisexual Values

I was watching a television report on potential mayor candidates in Toronto tonight. The candidate that is basically tied , George Smitherman, is a publicly gay, married man who has been in politics for awhile. He has held a provincial cabinet position. One of his opponents chose not to show for this meeting in a GLT area known as Church St or the Village (gay). That candidate is a bit extremist who said that he would stand up to those. He has made some rather radical statements about ethnics, and gays. George's remaining opponent made a statement to the crowds. He said that you do not give up on the values of your (gay) community.(I think in context of giving in to city hall..not sure as it was only a sound clip)

There has been a lot of "not that" or "bisexual are" statements made on this site. What I wonder about though is what are bisexual values?

I don't expect total agreement but I thought that it might be interesting to read other people's thoughts on bisexual values. In fact, if you don't believe that there are any bisexual values, just don't respond or argue with what someone else believes is a bisexual value please.

In your view, what are some bisexual values?
    Last edited by tenni; Oct 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Re: Bisexual Values

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    I was watching a television report on potential mayor candidates in Toronto tonight. The candidate that is basically tied , George Smitherman, is a publicly gay, married man who has been in politics for awhile. He has held a provincial cabinet position. One of his opponents chose not to show for this meeting in a GLT area known as Church St or the Village (gay). That candidate is a bit extremist who said that he would stand up to those. He has made some rather radical statements about ethnics, and gays. George's remaining opponent made a statement to the crowds. He said that you do not give up on the values of your (gay) community.(I think in context of giving in to city hall..not sure as it was only a sound clip)

There has been a lot of "not that" or "bisexual are" statements made on this site. What I wonder about though is what are bisexual values?

I don't expect total agreement but I thought that it might be interesting to read other people's thoughts on bisexual values. In fact, if you don't believe that there are any bisexual values, just don't respond or argue with what someone else believes is a bisexual value please.

In your view, what are some bisexual values?
    there are none really that are a direct result of being bisexual..... as bisexuality is a attraction...... and while it can be argued that bisexuals can be more person friendly.... that would deny the fact that the same friendliness is found in every other sexuality

the value of people that are bisexual is measured in their contribution to society, their community, their families, social groups etc etc but its the same as hetero, gay, les, bi, asexual etc people.....

we are too quick to assign sexuality values to people that do accomplish great things cos of who they slept with or were attracted to.... they accomplished them cos of who they are, what they do, and how they work in with others......

if anybody wants to argue that sexuality is a important aspecs of values.... explain jeffery dahmer to me in terms of value to the gay community, versus
    California Sen. Sheila Kuehl
    After California Senate approved gay marriage bill AB849, who stated
    Gay and lesbian people fall in love. We settle down. We commit our lives to one another. We raise our children. We protect them. We try to be good citizens.
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

I think a 'bisexual value' is learning that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

Additionally, that the nebulous gray area between black & white precepts is far greater and larger than most any even consider.

Another value is not asserting beliefs onto others - as I don't accept other beliefs of others onto me.

And with that in mind, I speak for myself here; not for ALL bisexuals. Everybody's story is unique to their own path & journey.

I don't really associate values with sexuality. Every "community"; gay, bi, hetero, etc., etc. has representatives that display either good or bad values, but it has nothing to do with their sexual identity. I'll stop there, as I forgot what else I wanted to say. Damn ADHD and earache.

I don't have 'bisexual values.' I just have 'values.'

A true person of worth is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, & reverent.

Their sexuality does not change this. It is sad that so many use their sexuality to excuse their actions.

Pasa

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadenacpl2 View Post

A true person of worth is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, & reverent.

Their sexuality does not change this. It is sad that so many use their sexuality to excuse their actions.

Pasa
    I would like to add to these values: Love, Understanding, Compassion, Kindness. Although there are more values, being Bisexual does not preclude that we have a different value system based on our sexuality in comparision to other with different sexual preferences, but is only part of what we value as beings who care about others well-being; regardless of sexuality.

Bonus points for anyone who recognizes my list of values.

Pasa

Bonus points for anyone who recognizes my list of values.

Pasa
    You, Boy Scout, you...everything but morally straight, eh?

*Taylor*
    You can't change the way I am. . .are you strong enough to be my man?
    --Sheryl Crow

Protect your unicorn!!

Pssst! There's naked men ------------->Here!

آزادی راست کاملاموجودات ذی شعوراست

Thank you. . .

I think Pasa pretty much covered it but I would also add tolerance to the list. Our values, personally, are pretty much based on "live and let live" and being tolerant of others who do not share our lifestyle. Unfortunately, others do not always reciprocate when it comes to lesbian, gay, or bisexual people.

Sharon & Dennis
    Last edited by colobicouple; Oct 19, 2010 at 8:30 AM.

"Truth, Justice, and the American Way . . . "

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    "Truth, Justice, and the American Way . . . "
    oh fuck...lol

I think that there must be quite a difference from what was being referred to at the meeting. Several of you seem to be stating that bisexual values are no different from the mainstream of your own particular mainstream culture.

I tried to google "gay values" to get an idea.

The only thing that it seems to come up with was a reference to "gay families" but I know that he was probably referring to other values(same sex marriage probably being one)

In that reference I suspect that the value would be something like as adapted from a gay family website

value 1
    A family is not only a father and a mother but rather a UNIT OF LOVE, with one or more consenting adults regardless of gender, creed or color, providing support and unconditional love to their children with human compassion and understanding.

value 2
    Gay and Lesbian couples can raise emotionally healthy children, able to lead happy lives with encouraged self-esteem and insurmountable self love, allowing them to have unyielding and uncompromising appreciation for themselves and for those around them.

I think that it would refer to specific values to bisexuals. Some have mentioned "tolerance" in the sense of being more tolerant than? I also wonder about the term "bisexual issues" and am unsure of what they are but suspect that a value would evolve from whatever bisexual issues are?
    Last edited by tenni; Oct 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM.

Dunno. I just think the answer is: there aren't any.

We are no more unified by our sexuality than we are by our skin color.

Pasa

lol Potty mouth, Tenni.
    I personally aint got no values. I got some morals around here somewheres, but I aint no values.
    Cheesy Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I agree with Pasa. There are no bisexual values because being bisexual is not all there is to me. I have a code of honor I follow, it means everything to me. That has nothing to do with being bisexual and plenty to do with being an honest man.

Pasa
    Too bad the BSA is highly homophobic and against anyone that's bisexual, gay, or lesbian.

Lord Robert Baden Powell was bisexual or even gay himself.
    Last edited by bisexual Bill; Oct 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisexual Bill View Post
    Too bad the BSA is highly homophobic and against anyone that's bisexual, gay, or lesbian.

Actually they aren't. It's the Mormon Chapters that have given them this appearance as the standing of the BSA and "Morally Straight" has nothing, and they have stated this, to do with sexuality. I think Penn and Teller did a Bullshit episode on it, and it was in line with what I'd experienced with them with my son and why I took him out of the Mormon Scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBorthwick View Post
    Actually they aren't. It's the Mormon Chapters that have given them this appearance as the standing of the BSA and "Morally Straight" has nothing, and they have stated this, to do with sexuality. I think Penn and Teller did a Bullshit episode on it, and it was in line with what I'd experienced with them with my son and why I took him out of the Mormon Scouts.
    The BSA is still a hate group.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision that the Boy Scouts could bar gay folks from serving as Scout leaders.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LAW/06/...gay.boyscouts/

June 28, 2000
    Web posted at: 2:18 p.m. EDT (1818 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the Boy Scouts of America can bar homosexuals from being troop leaders.

The justices by a 5-4 vote overturned a New Jersey Supreme Court ruling that the dismissal of a gay Scout leader had been illegal under the state's anti-discrimination law.

The Boy Scouts, which also exclude atheists and agnostics as leaders, said it has the right to decide who can join its ranks.

Forcing it to accept gays would violate its constitutional right of freedom of association and free speech under the First Amendment, it said.

http://www.bsa-discrimination.org/

"We believe that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the requirements in the Scout Oath that a Scout be morally straight and in the Scout Law that a Scout be clean in word and deed, and that homosexuals do not provide a desirable role model for Scouts. Because of these beliefs, the Boy Scouts of America does not accept homosexuals as members or as leaders, whether in volunteer or professional capacities." Boy Scouts of America, Position Statement on Homosexuality, June 1991

"To suggest that the BSA had no policy against active homosexuality is nonsense. It was an organization which from its inception had a God-acknowledged, moral foundation. It required its members, youth and adult, to take the Scout Oath that they would be "morally straight." It is unthinkable that in a society where there was universal governmental condemnation of the act of sodomy as a crime, that the BSA could or would tolerate active homosexuality if discovered in any of its members. . . .Men who do those criminal and immoral acts cannot be held out as role models." Superior Court Judge Patrick J. McGann, in Dale v. Boy Scouts of America, No. Mon-C-330-92

"[BSA's] witnesses all rely upon their own personal interpretation of the words "morally straight" and "clean" which they believe proscribe homosexuality. These views were epitomized by the testimony of William McClaughlin, the Director of Personnel Administration for the National Council of Boy Scouts of America. . . .McCloughlin testified that the reference in the Scout Oath and Law to sexual orientation was in the words "morally straight" and "clean." He stated that . . . in his application of the BSA guidelines on a national level, all behavior related to homosexual orientation is "immoral or indecent." He testified that he did not think that a gay man is able to devote himself to others, simply because he is gay." Excerpt from final ruling from the Chicago Commission on Human Relations, G. Keith Richardson v. Chicago Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

Anyone who is for GLBT rights and against hate would not let their kids join this hate group or the U.S. military which DADT is still in place for all thanks to Hussein Obama.

Anyone who is for GLBT rights and against hate would not let their kids join this hate group or the U.S. military which DADT is still in place for all thanks to Hussein Obama.
    This is an untrue statement. It presents us with a logical fallacy where there can be only two possible outcomes, when in fact far more possibilities exist.

I will not debate the merits of the BSA or of the military with you. I will, however, point out that every person I've met who uses President Obama's middle name in the way that you did has been a bigot of the highest order. I find that ironic.

Pasa

This is one biographer's hypothesis. It has no evidence to support it other than circumstantial.

I know the gay community likes to homo everything it can get it's hands on. But, without supporting evidence, it's just a fantasy. He was, however, a handsome man if you happen to like the father figure sort.

Pasa

OK fine DADT is fucked all because of Barry Hussein Obama.

He and the democrats are not "staunch advocates for GLBT rights" but neither are the Republicans.

The BSA and all the branches of the American military do not allow gay men, lesbians, or bisexuals to serve or join.

They are against having gays, bisexuals, and lesbians in these organizations. This is the real bigotry and hate unlike using the President's middle name instead of his full name.

This is one biographer's hypothesis. It has no evidence to support it other than circumstantial.

I know the gay community likes to homo everything it can get it's hands on. But, without supporting evidence, it's just a fantasy. He was, however, a handsome man if you happen to like the father figure sort.

Pasa
    It's not just one biographer. Do your own research on him.

What type of men turn you on?

I've done plenty of research on Lord Baden Powell. I have read just about everything he wrote, have read two biographies and use his writing as inspirational material for the boys in our troop.

I'm not into father figures, however. His young photos, however....wow.

Pasa

OK fine DADT is fucked all because of Barry Hussein Obama.

He and the democrats are not "staunch advocates for GLBT rights" but neither are the Republicans.

The BSA and all the branches of the American military do not allow gay men, lesbians, or bisexuals to serve or join.

They are against having gays, bisexuals, and lesbians in these organizations. This is the real bigotry and hate unlike using the President's middle name instead of his full name.
    No, the bigotry in this post is the attempt to somehow connect Obama with being Muslim. The use of Hussein is meant to invoke a climate of fear. It has been very calculated since his run for office started. It is a logical fallacy called Appeal to Fear, and it is very subtle in its effectiveness.

I can discuss for many hours the issue of gays in the military or the Boy Scouts. Neither are hate groups. One is a military. The other is a private organization that has membership rules.

I seem to recall going into a mens club recently. They did not allow women. They did not even allow trannies to enter if they were dressed as a woman. Are they a hate group?

Pasa

Since this has gotten derailed already, I'l just post the link on what I was talking about before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOb1-O8rPc

Pasa
    Spoken like a true Scout!
    Still A Little Hazy... Got A Little Crazy!

Good evening Tenni;

I am not certain of what you mean by bisexual values, but should not bisexuals all have the same values as everyone else?
    Could you enlighten me please? I am still so new to the bisexual world that I seem a bit naive at times.

Thank you,
    Kit

Yes, please clarify what you are hoping to discuss here. As I have stated, I don't associate "values" with sexuality. If this seems negative, then so be it. Values, TO ME IN MY INTERPRETATION, are Morals and Virtues. So if I am missing the point, please redirect.
    “One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him.” -Lao Tzu

I think it may be necessary to clarify the distinctions between "values", "principles", and "ethics". Time somebody looked up the definitions and posted them here, IMO, but it ain't me right now...

Just want to say that if we do come to some consensus on a single
    bisexual value or principle or ethic it's going to have something to do with not generalizing. That seems to be the overall mood of the community; do you not all sense the sheer resistance to pigeonholing or (LOL) even forming consensus on almost any subject around here, which is strikingly different from the mood of the gay and lesbian community? The resistance to the question itself shows the way to its answer.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy51 View Post
    Yes, please clarify what you are hoping to discuss here. As I have stated, I don't associate "values" with sexuality. If this seems negative, then so be it. Values, TO ME IN MY INTERPRETATION, are Morals and Virtues. So if I am missing the point, please redirect.
    Well, as I wrote, this thought came to me after seeing a politician speaking on television in reference to a part of Toronto noted for being a gay community. He referenced the word values. I am wondering if the word "beliefs" might be a better starting point. I am so disappointed in the approach taken by some though. As Not states, some just want to say that bisexuals have no commonality. I must admit that I find it difficult to articulate a value specific to bisexuals as well though. I thought that "tolerance" might have been a good start. I think that is valued by some on this site. Others give it lip service and turn around and show vindictiveness towards some bisexuals who do not live up to their morality. Enough written. I'm so very disappointed in this site at the moment.