Register

'Positive' bi stereotype?

According to Bi Community News' list of myths about bisexuality, there's the following:

"10. “Bisexuals are nicer than other people”
    Although more positive than the other stereotypes, this is still a stereotype and is therefore a generalisation. Bisexuals are real people and are capable of displaying a range of human traits, both good and bad. In fact, bisexuals are just like anyone else really!"

I've never heard of this stereotype before. I mean, having only come to terms with my bisexuality quite recently, I'll admit I'm not exactly the most knowledgable person on this subject, but I have heard of all the other ones ("Bisexuals spread HIV"; "Bisexuals are promiscuous," etc., etc...), as well as the old standby of the bisexual predator/bunny-boiler/traitor/serial killer...

Have any of you guys come across the 'Bis are nice' stereotype? Where does it come from?
    He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction.

Re: 'Positive' bi stereotype?

Hmmm, this is new to me. I've never heard of it before.
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I haven't heard of that one either--I know that I would like to believe that--but realistically--I'd have to say that it would not really be possible to say that "Bi's are nicer!"
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Damn, I hadn't heard that one before. Maybe it comes from the myth we want to get in everyones pants. We are nicer to everyone cause we wanna lay everyone? Though its one of the more pleasant stereotypes I have heard, I am still not a fan of any stereotype.

I knew one girl who had a boyfriend who said he'd only date bi girls because they're more feminine, aren't interested in making sure they're dominant in a relationship, more easy going and some other stuff. I didn't think it was a compliment because it assumes that you can make those kinds of assumptions about a whole group of women based on who we are attracted to, and that it would be a compliment to be 'more feminine', and not dominant. It was funny because her whole story about what kind of men she likes was about tough guys with thick skin and that don't try and make themselves softer for society's sake; then her description of the guy she's with makes him sound like a total wuss who feels like he has to protect his masculinity at every turn.

I have heard some people say that the queer sandwich is more accepting in general. I don't think that's true, even on the whole. There are gay men who hate gay women, gay women straight people, gay men who hate straight people, women who hate men, gays who hate bis, people who hate trans or at least want them to march in a separate parade....etc. Its nice to think that people who experience prejudice are aware of what other people go through and have more open minds but that is hardly the case. People are people, and most people are terrible and selfish.

Personally, I don't like it anytime someone tells me that bisexuals are like this or that; we aren't a gigantic homogeneous blob -- we're not the same person.
    "Real Gangsta ass niggas don't flex nuts; cause real gangsta' ass niggas know they got 'em." Geto Boyz (Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta'

I will say this: It has been my experience, over-all, that I've had the best life-relationships with other bisexuals.

I tend to think bisexuals, as a group, might tend to be nicer in some ways just because they're more open minded and accepting of things. Most of them, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fredtyg View Post
    I tend to think bisexuals, as a group, might tend to be nicer in some ways just because they're more open minded and accepting of things. Most of them, anyway.
    I agree Fred. We do tend to be a bit more open minded in regards to things life throws our way, but it is still hard to accept some things. We are only human after all. It is a nice thought though.
    You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender - people are people.
    Judith Light
    I Never Let The Actions Of Another Person B R E A K Me& I Never Let A Single Person S H A K E Me Because Honestly; I Don't Give A Fuck Who Hates Me

I haven't heard any of the stereotypes of bisexuals because when growing up I have always been told that "gays and lesbians are sinners and are going to hell", never told a person could be bi and love all the same. But as far as bisexuals spreading HIV.....anyone who doesn't think before they do can spread it along with those who honestly don't know they have it.

Judging from the tenor of some of the replies in this thread, I think I'd better re-state my own position, just in the interests of clarity. We all know that stereotypes are bullshit, and no matter how 'positive' they might seem, it's wrong to paint all the members of any community with the same brush.

I was just taken aback by BCN's listing of 'Bis are nicer than other people' as a common stereotype, and I was wondering if anyone else had heard this one before.
    He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction.