Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hate The Bi-Pride Flag / Symbol

I know I have brought this subject up before in other posts, but I know I am not alone in my loathing of the Bi Pride flag and symbol.

My reasons for this, as shared by others, is essentially that the colour combination is cringe inducing. Additionally, the symbolism of the colours is also somewhat obscure (not the simple "pink is for girls, blue is for boys, purple where they come together" that it logically appears to be). It seems like someone thought "since the gay movement has a rainbow flag - we need some colours of our own". It feels forced and unoriginal in thought. I don't identify with it at all.

So, my question here is :

Do you like or dislike the Bi Pride flag / symbol ? Do you identify with it ? Do you have any other suggestions or designs of your own ?

I am hoping to get a few submissions for alternative Bi symbols that people can begin to use and will be recognized by the community. Not necesarily to replace the ugly flag, but perhaps in addition to it (though i certainly wouldn't lament the discarding of the current flag !)

At any rate, here is my simple alternative - a grey uppercase letter 'B' in helvetica typeface. Symbolism being :

Grey; universally understood as the combining or synthesis of polar opposites of black and white - further symbolic in that Bisexual is an existence where the world is not "black and white".

Upper case 'B' ; 'B' for Bisexual, obviously ! - but always upper case in a show of pride.

It is a simple symbol, but I think the simplicity makes it all the more understood.

Please share your thoughts and symbols

Thanks,

DJ

B

Re: Hate The Bi-Pride Flag / Symbol

I'll probably get roasted for this. But why do Bi's need a symbol at all? You are just people, some good some bad, but just people. Do we all need symbols to prove we are something other than just human?
    Standing hand in hand with my love

Cara ch' 'm blaidd

I agree. No symbol required.

lol I have no interest in marching under any flag....so the bi flag is not something that I really have any interest in......

when i march for a cause, I march with everybody equally, not allied with a group within a group.... and with the march with the civil union law in nz, I marched beside LGBT / hetros and christians....

surprisingly enuf.... most of the lgbt didn't march under flags either, they, like me, marched as a united front.....
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

I don't mind the bi flag or the colors. I agree that we shouldn't be a group within a group, but we are no different than bears, twinks, bois, gurls, and any other subset of the queer nation. We sometimes want to identify what part of that nation we are, just as the chorus, band or math club is proud of being part of a high school. And just like those aforementioned examples, one can be in more than one subset.

As for "finding" another symbol, there are many alternatives to the pink, purple and blue already. I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure someone will.

Rock!

Pronouns make it hard to keep our sexual orientation a secret when asked about our weekend. I had a great time with ….THEM. "Great! Now they don’t think you’re queer ~ just a big slut!” - Judy Carter

rɑk ænd məri sɪtɪŋ ɪn ə tri, ke aj ɛs ɛs aj ɛn dʒi, fərst kəmz ləv ðɛn kəmz mɛrɪdʒ

I agree that the colors are ugly, but I'll fly them til something better comes along, and is widely agreed on. Sorry, Djones, but I think your solution is worse than the problem. Gray is boring, and so is the Helvetica typeface. Political colors should excite emotion. Sorry I don't have any other ideas at the moment, but I actually don't care very much if the flag is ugly. It's ours, so I'll fly it. That is pretty much the attitude you need for this sort of group-identity thing.

Let's not flatter ourselves with being "above" or "beyond" identity issues. While it may be true that, at least at this point in time, bisexuality is more about not fitting in with sexual identities than establishing a separate identity, this is also the reason why we are so disorganized, unconnected as a community, and invisible. Personally I've encountered too much disrespect from gays because of my sexuality to feel at home in the gay movement, and I feel very strongly that we need to get our own shit together and depend on the gay community as little as possible. While fully respecting our diversity, we must band together and establish more visibility. This is where things like flags come in handy. Silly as they may seem, they serve a purpose.
    Last edited by NotLostJustWandering; Jun 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM. Reason: redundant phrase
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

the issue there, is the bisexual community is so diverse that we are anything but a group

you can be bisexual if you are a male that thinks that their friends cock is nice looking yet you are identifying as hetero, right thru to you do 20 males and females a night, married and have 3 other partners in the * marriage.... and everything in between......

unlike the other main sexualities, bisexuality is the only one that doesn't have a defination that is clear.... it can and does apply to everybody in one way or another.... and makes us the largest single sexuality.... yet we will argue that we are a minority sexuality.....

there are even bisexuals that feel that if you are not sexually active with both genders, that you are not bisexual, just a person using a label to fit in......

so it begs the question, what actually is a bisexual.... not what can bisexuality be defined as
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

I dont really see where we Need another flag. If its a Bi event or something, I can see it then, but outside of that I dont really see the neccessity.
    I fly two flags, that's really all the symbolisms I need. The American flag and a POW flag, that's it. :}
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Woot Cat
    Standing hand in hand with my love

Cara ch' 'm blaidd

Quote Originally Posted by RockGardener View Post
    I don't mind the bi flag or the colors. I agree that we shouldn't be a group within a group, but we are no different than bears, twinks, bois, gurls, and any other subset of the queer nation. We sometimes want to identify what part of that nation we are, just as the chorus, band or math club is proud of being part of a high school. And just like those aforementioned examples, one can be in more than one subset.

As for "finding" another symbol, there are many alternatives to the pink, purple and blue already. I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure someone will.

Rock!
    I agree with this honey. But you knew that I would.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
    —A. A. Milne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    the issue there, is the bisexual community is so diverse that we are anything but a group

unlike the other main sexualities, bisexuality is the only one that doesn't have a defination that is clear....
    Problem understood. I'm just saying we have to overcome these challenges and form a real movement and real community. This hanging on the edges of the gay movement really sucks.

it can and does apply to everybody in one way or another....
    Some people really are gay and some people really are straight. But I agree with you in the sense that "none of us are free if one of us is chained."

and makes us the largest single sexuality.... yet we will argue that we are a minority sexuality.....
    Yeah, isn't that weird? Are we a sleeping giant?

there are even bisexuals that feel that if you are not sexually active with both genders, that you are not bisexual, just a person using a label to fit in......
    So, these attitudes are among our internal problems, and when we actually form community, these problems come up and can be dealt with.

so it begs the question, what actually is a bisexual.... not what can bisexuality be defined as
    I say, if someone says they're bi, don't argue with them.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........

I agree with getting away from the GLBT in part. However, there are too many issues we have in common with them, at least politically.

Yes, we do need to build our own community.

Are we the largest sexuality? Not everyone identifies as bisexual or even wants to, would be nice to change that.

We arent the only entity with internal identification issues. Have you ever met someone with "Harry Benjamins Syndrome"? Basically a transexual that doesnt want to be identified with other transsexuals. Yes,, they exist, and no, I dont have any thing to do with them.

I agree that we should let anyone who self ID's as bi into our community. Seems like a good thing to me.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
    —A. A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee_Mountaincat View Post
    I dont really see where we Need another flag. If its a Bi event or something, I can see it then, but outside of that I dont really see the neccessity.
    A bi event? Sounds like a good idea. When was the last time you were at a Bi Pride Parade? Does the idea sound absurd? Why is that? I can just imagine the reaction of a city council... "why can't you just march with the gays and lesbians?"

Face it: in terms of organization, visibility, and ability to frame political issues, the gay movement is doing very well, and we're a joke. This is why we're hearing so much about gay marriage, and no one is questioning the State's right to determine who our families are, on the basis of blood relation or sanctioned pact of monogamy.

The magnitude of this problem really hit home for me personally when a former lover got institutionalized and I did my best to get him moved to a more appropriate care facility. My ability to help was severely limited by my not being "family", while his mother was being amazingly passive and defeatist about the whole thing, and most of his blood family stayed completely out of the picture. I realized that I am truly more his family than the people he happens to be related to, and that this is actually quite common these days when the extended family structure is six feet under. I was facing the exact same problem the gay marriage advocates like to bring up: there are people languishing in neglect in hospitals while their lovers are denied visitation because they're not married. Amazing how such a universal problem -- we lack true families, so we form new ones, but the State doesn't recognize them -- has gotten pigeonholed into an exclusively gay rights issue, with the inevitable polarization that ensues when that line is drawn. And even when the gays overcome the resistance they'll actually be happy to have the same "right" to have their monogamous partnerships sanctioned by the state, while the larger problem goes unsolved.

I think this illustrates how limiting a force of liberation the gay movement is, and how much we bisexuals can contribute if we just stop settling for being a letter in "GLBT." Sporting a bi flag is a step in that direction.
    Cheers
    Atiq

Quote Originally Posted by NotLostJustWandering View Post
    A bi event? Sounds like a good idea. When was the last time you were at a Bi Pride Parade? Does the idea sound absurd? Why is that? I can just imagine the reaction of a city council... "why can't you just march with the gays and lesbians?"

The Dykes have a march, so do trans. Why shouldnt Bi folks have a march, too?
    —A. A. Milne

I always had the understanding that the blue and pink/red weren't ment to symbolize boy and girl, but gay and straight. The purple is to symbolize us and the fact that we can seemlessly blend into both sexualities/worlds/communities. with that symbolism I am proud to wear it for that best describes us. plus I like having something to subtly wear to say I'm not gay or straight when I go somewhere so I can attract other bi's....because my gay-dar is horrable at best and my bi-dar is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_cat_lady View Post
    I always had the understanding that the blue and pink/red weren't ment to symbolize boy and girl, but gay and straight. The purple is to symbolize us and the fact that we can seemlessly blend into both sexualities/worlds/communities. with that symbolism I am proud to wear it for that best describes us. plus I like having something to subtly wear to say I'm not gay or straight when I go somewhere so I can attract other bi's....because my gay-dar is horrable at best and my bi-dar is even worse.
    that is something that amuses me..... we are bisexual.... we group with the gays and lesbians...... yet.... part of being bisexual is the hetero aspect of bi sexuality.....

as bisexuals we can unite the broad spectrum of sexuality, yet we distance ourselves from a part of it.... by placing ourselves in the LGT aspect.... and away from the hetero aspect which is a large part of who we are......

one of the largest issues with the bisexual community, is we forget what we are..... we are the middle ground..... we are the centerpoint of the scales of sexuality....

that is something that amuses me..... we are bisexual.... we group with the gays and lesbians...... yet.... part of being bisexual is the hetero aspect of bi sexuality.....

as bisexuals we can unite the broad spectrum of sexuality, yet we distance ourselves from a part of it.... by placing ourselves in the LGT aspect.... and away from the hetero aspect which is a large part of who we are......

one of the largest issues with the bisexual community, is we forget what we are..... we are the middle ground..... we are the centerpoint of the scales of sexuality....
    True, however-

When we are percieved as straight we expereince no discrimination. That is the reason for the purple, the fact that as part of the pink and part of the blue it is invisible. There is a need for us to become more visible, I believe.

Which is not to demean those of us in straight relationships, or suggest that those relationships arent valid.

If we were straight, there would be no need to have a bisexual community, no?

As Bisexuals we need to cellebrate the fact that we can love both/all genders. That is our strength.

I dont however see us as a middle point, I see us as the opposite of Monosexual, or perhaps the middle point between Monosexual and Omnisexual?
    —A. A. Milne

the one flag / banner that I have seen, in a lgbt parade was one that will always sit in my mind

it was a banner that featured music notes and each note represented a different aspect of things, the lgbt, heteros and pansexual communities...
    the background was a mosiac of many countries flags.....

I remember it so well, cos I said to the person carrying it that it really got my attention.... and they told me that it represented us all and how instead of being in our groups as separate notes, together we are a symphony.....

there was a disagreement between the person and a few militant LGB people... their stance was it did not represent them properly..... and the person just said,.... it does represent you.... but it embraces the fact that without the heterosexuals, most of us would have never been born, without the heterosexual side of us we would not be bi sexual, and without embracing the heterosexuals as part of who we are, how can we ever expect them to accept us as part of what they created..... their own flesh and bone.... god bless my hetero parents for giving birth to their bi daughter....

We have a good sized Bi-Community here, and they march with the Gay community when they have the Pride Parade every year. I think they are called the Rainbow Coalilition for All...And a group called the Bi-Partitions.(sp) I didnt get a chance to see the Parade This year, but I did last year and it was very cool. I have acces to a nice patch and pin that is simply a large B with a diamond in it. I also can get a large G, and and L. Theres also a larbe B for Bear's too.
    I'm sure someone will come up with something that would signify us Bi-folks one of these days :} Maybe I should recruit folks for a float next year and call it the Bi-focals....Bi-local-folks..*Snicker*
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by RockGardener View Post

Rock!
    In fact, many of us are very different than the bears, twinks, etc. you mentioned. Not all of us agree that we are part of the "queer nation".

Not to create opposition, but those sentiments are the same that co-opt Bisexuals in to the gay movement - a movement that often tries to negate us and diminish our importance. As has been pointed out, our numbers would far outweigh theirs in a census, yet we are treated often with disdain and contempt (often out of fear, I feel) by much of their numbers.

Just one of the reasons (the list is long) why I would never Identify as part of the "queer nation" .

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    In fact, many of us are very different than the bears, twinks, etc. you mentioned. Not all of us agree that we are part of the "queer nation".

Not to create opposition, but those sentiments are the same that co-opt Bisexuals in to the gay movement - a movement that often tries to negate us and diminish our importance. As has been pointed out, our numbers would far outweigh theirs in a census, yet we are treated often with disdain and contempt (often out of fear, I feel) by much of their numbers.

Just one of the reasons (the list is long) why I would never Identify as part of the "queer nation" .
    I am not sure about the rest of the world, but in new zealand the sentiment with the gays and lesbians towards bisexuals, is that the majority of us hide behind bisexuality as a excuse just to have flings outside of our relationships..... and that we are not really bisexual on a level equal to gay and lesbian people..... but bisexual as a passing desire and a excuse simply for extra sex....

it sounds harsh, but I do understand what they are saying.....

its based around a survey done in nz, of LGB people.....

they found that casual bisexuals ( sexually attracted / casual sex ) are 23 times more likely to cheat and lie in relationships and have affairs, casual encounters etc than heteros / gays and lesbians

bisexuals that are equally attracted to males and females on a sexual / emotional level, are 58 times more likely to remain monogamous to a partner of the same or opposite sex and have a single additional partner of the same or opposite sex, than casual bisexuals....

lesbians 6% gays 9% heteros 42% bisexuals 71% are the percentages of open relationships

there is a reason why the gays and lesbians has the issues they do with us.... we gave them every reason to feel that bisexuals can not be trusted and that we are mainly interested in sex, sex and more sex.......and we prove it regularly......

yet its the casual sex bisexuals that give bisexuals as a whole, the bad rep..... not the bisexuals that are committed relationship bisexuals and equally attracted to males and females sexually and emotionally

there is a reason why the gays and lesbians has the issues they do with us.... we gave them every reason to feel that bisexuals can not be trusted and that we are mainly interested in sex, sex and more sex.......and we prove it regularly......

yet its the casual sex bisexuals that give bisexuals as a whole, the bad rep..... not the bisexuals that are committed relationship bisexuals and equally attracted to males and females sexually and emotionally
    I have always found this claim hypocritical or at least wrong by those gay people who make it.

I am a bisexual girl who has had frequent casual sex as well as quite a few longer term relationships with people of either sex, a number of whom are lesbian women. In my experience, whether my bf, gf or sexual partner was straight, bisexual or gay, male or female, I found there to be little difference between gender or sexuality when it comes to casual sex.

I have pursued and been pursued by a number of bisexual and lesbian women and there is no doubt in my mind that that lesbians are as likely to have casual sex with women who are of any sexuality, as are gay men. Equally bisexual men and women are as likely to remain true to their life partner as any gay person. There is some evidence to suggest that gay and bisexual people are more promiscuous than those who are straight and less likely to be faithful to their partner, but from my experience, particularly of straight men, I question this very much.

Quote Originally Posted by sammie19 View Post
    I have always found this claim hypocritical or at least wrong by those gay people who make it.

I am a bisexual girl who has had frequent casual sex as well as quite a few longer term relationships with people of either sex, a number of whom are lesbian women. In my experience, whether my bf, gf or sexual partner was straight, bisexual or gay, male or female, I found there to be little difference between gender or sexuality when it comes to casual sex.

I have pursued and been pursued by a number of bisexual and lesbian women and there is no doubt in my mind that that lesbians are as likely to have casual sex with women who are of any sexuality, as are gay men. Equally bisexual men and women are as likely to remain true to their life partner as any gay person. There is some evidence to suggest that gay and bisexual people are more promiscuous than those who are straight and less likely to be faithful to their partner, but from my experience, particularly of straight men, I question this very much.
    the survey fiqures I posted, were from the people in relationships section....
    as that appears to be the main area of issue between gays / lesbians and bis.... the understanding that bisexuals are not monogamous, can not be faithful and will do anything for sex......

I actually laugh when people find out that I am bisexual, in a long term, long distance relationship and I am monogamous and faithful to one partner only...... they often say, how the fuck can you do that, you can not be bisexual if you can do that "

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Why join a nation where you'll be a second-class citizen?

If this is what they think about us, then the pot is calling the kettle black. The degree of obsession with sex within the gay community is neurotic, and people seriously interested in LTRs are needles in a haystack (by "seriously interested" I mean ready to make the compromises and do the hard work the long haul entails.)

I am not impressed by your word that some survey showed bis to be more inclined to cheat than gays. Show us the methods they used to gather and interpret the data, and I'm sure we'll see how the facts got skewed. Maybe it has to do with how one interprets "cheating"; ie, gays might be less inclined to consider the same behavior "cheating" as we would.

Ultimately, though, it is upon us to represent ourselves to the rest of the world, which we can not do if we allow ourselves to "blend in" with either community where we don't really belong.
    Cheers
    Atiq

Quote Originally Posted by NotLostJustWandering View Post
    Why join a nation where you'll be a second-class citizen?

If this is what they think about us, then the pot is calling the kettle black. The degree of obsession with sex within the gay community is neurotic, and people seriously interested in LTRs are needles in a haystack (by "seriously interested" I mean ready to make the compromises and do the hard work the long haul entails.)

I am not impressed by your word that some survey showed bis to be more inclined to cheat than gays. Show us the methods they used to gather and interpret the data, and I'm sure we'll see how the facts got skewed. Maybe it has to do with how one interprets "cheating"; ie, gays might be less inclined to consider the same behavior "cheating" as we would.

Ultimately, though, it is upon us to represent ourselves to the rest of the world, which we can not do if we allow ourselves to "blend in" with either community where we don't really belong.
    in bisexual.com, there are a large number of people in long term relationships...... bisexuals, heteros and gay / lesbians....
    many of them married and working thru bisexual issues...... so I guess there is more of them that we may think......

cheating is defined as going outside of a relationship with the intention of sexual contact with another person, without the permission or knowledge of the other partner in the relationship.....
    its that simple..... the survey used one defination

the data was collected over a 8 month period and also included data collected at the big gay out LGBT parade in auckland, nz....
    the margin of error is -/ + 3%

and finally, its up to you to represent you to the rest of the world.... you do not represent me...

I am interested in a monogamous long term, one on one relationship with my partner only

people that are wanting open relationships, casual hooks, partner sharing etc... do not represent me as a bisexual.... they represent themselves....

I want to be known by people for who I am, not for what others do....

the data was collected over a 8 month period
    How?

and also included data collected at the big gay out LGBT parade in auckland, nz....
    That in itself sounds skewed. The people that show up at a LGBT parade are self-selected. I am very reluctant to show up at gay events and I know I'm not the only bisexual who feels this way.

the margin of error is -/ + 3%
    Margins of error are determined by the number of people queried. It says nothing about flaws in the methods of data collection and interpretation.

and finally, its up to you to represent you to the rest of the world.... you do not represent me....
    Well, of course. One can argue that no one can represent another person. And yet, we make generalizations and assumptions about people all the time on the basis of what group they belong to and what our perceptions of that group are. So it should concern you, as someone who identifies as bisexual, how bisexuals are perceived by the world at large. I say the more visible we are, the more accurate that perception will be. And of course, we have a particular problem in that we are so diverse; it is not easy to generalize about us, and generalization is what people love to do. So this very diversity is what we need to demonstrate. So by all means, represent yourself and I will represent myself. As long as we both are open about being bisexual, we can do our part to raise awareness of ourselves.
    Cheers
    Atiq

it was done by phone in poll, you ring up and you answer questions.....

any survey can be skewed, they are cross sections of society..... and give a indication..... hence a margin of error indicates that the results can be flawed but the margin of error indicated the % of error based on the number of people surveyed

the openness is a personal thing..... people can be closeted and arise awareness quietly by doing surveys and polls about bisexual people.....
    that is how we get data on people that are dealing with issues in workplaces and other areas, that can indicate discrimination etc..... ie the fear of coming out in the work place.....

we know more about that because of the closeted people......and the out people

it doesn't worry me what people think about bisexuals, as i already know that people will think what they choose to think, not what we tell them or want them to think.....
    there are times in the site where we have people that post about how do they get their partners to allow them go out to have sex with other people.... and how they have to cheat cos of their partners refusal....

thats the impression that new people to the site, can get about bisexuals, based on what they see and read......

people will not judge us on what we tell them to think.... they will judge us on what they see us doing and saying... and bisexuals are the first to state that we are attracted to males and females and enjoy sex with both.....

to most people they can see that as bisexuals will not settle for one partner, bisexuals are openly stating that they enjoy partners of both genders..... and yes that would make any non bisexual partner, bloody nervous in a relationship..... and thats why we see so many worried non bisexual partners in the site posting their concerns.....

@ djones - "queer" does not equal "gay". I would suggest that "queer" is everything in the TBGLQQI rainbow. It simply means "non-straight".

As far as the gay and lesbian movements trying to co-opt and negate our existence, we seem to have no problem with letting them do the speaking for us. You rarely see a bisexual man step in front of a crowd and identify himself as such. Name one strictly bisexual organisation.

If we are going to be a movement or a community then we need to step up and speak for ourselves. Which is not to say we need to fracture the larger community that is the BLTG, I think totally separating ourselves would be a huge mistake, politically.

As I type this I wonder just how many Bi folks left the Bi community in frustration that there was no community, no support for the bisexual folks in crisis, no hand to help them through the rough times. That is what makes a community strong. It isn’t the sex that joins us together, its the fellowship that makes us a community.

The flag is just dressing on top in many ways. The deeper issue is the people that stand behind the flag.
    —A. A. Milne

Toronto has an amazing bisexual community that I'm involved in.

http://torontobinet.org/

And Toronto's LGBTQ community is rather unique in that all get along rather well. In our village, it's not just gay men, but also includes lesbians, bisexuals, transexuals and every derivitive, all living harmoniously in the community. No it's not perfect, but pretty darn close.

dont know why but all those pride things flags ect. just dont do it anymore.