Register

Why are we bisexual or what are the benefits for our species?

Dear poeple, found an article about bisexuality in animal life: http://old.richarddawkins.net/articl...animal-kingdom seems worse to discuss. It was very interesting to read and I hope there would be a few comments from the people here.

Re: Why are we bisexual or what are the benefits for our species?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigerman View Post
    Dear poeple, found an article about bisexuality in animal life: http://old.richarddawkins.net/articl...animal-kingdom seems worse to discuss. It was very interesting to read and I hope there would be a few comments from the people here.
    An interesting article. It's notoriously difficult to guess what animals are thinking and feeling, but many of the conclusions ring true:

And whereas captivity may engender what appears to be an unnaturally high level of homosexual activity in some animal species, human same-sex environments might bring out normal tendencies that other settings tend to suppress. That is, some experts argue that humans, like some other animals, are naturally bisexual. "We should be calling humans bisexual because this idea of exclusive homosexuality is not accurate of people," Roughgarden says. "Homosexuality is mixed in with heterosexuality across cultures and history."
    I have chatted with many older bisexuals who became active after their sex life at home declined. The seeds of same-sex desire were already there, but given the stigmas and taboos surrounding m/m sex, only a combination of some deprivation and greater opportunity allowed them to act on their desires. The article focuses on prisons and 'enforced' same-sex environments, as bringing out natural tendencies. In our society, it has taken such extreme conditions to overwhelm the stigma of same-sex activity. I would suggest that those conditions are becoming less necessary, and we are seeing a voluntary reversion to natural desires among men.

I've also been impressed with the relative absence of "alpha male" activity in the bisexual scene. We tend to be a quieter, more conciliatory group.

There is no reason to think that our current social structuring, the male-dominated marriage, has a solid biological basis. There is mounting evidence that women are naturally promiscuous and are aroused indiscriminately. It seems likely that women did, indeed, act like bitches in heat. When humans began domesticating crops and animals, there were, distinct advantages to protecting and providing for women as they raised children, and this eventually resulted in granting exclusive sexual rights to non-alpha males in return for security. When property was accumulated, the legal bonds of marriage assured that the wealth would be protected and preserved.

In our relatively prosperous and safe conditions today, children are raised more easily without the need for a male provider, and women are more able to provide for themselves, accumulate wealth, and enjoy multiple sexual partners. It's not surprising, then, that we are seeing women beginning to assert their unfettered sexuality and independence. Their erstwhile protectors are discovering their freedom from an imposed role as exclusively heterosexual protectors in favor of bisexual activities that, this article suggests, are natural to them.

Rather than having those tendencies forced on us by imprisonment, often we're taking advantage of our new freedom, and of lower sexual interest from women, to explore our sexual interest with other men. The benefits to society are great, I think. I want alpha males to assert their natural dominance, but they are a minority. Society has been very misled by a lot of men pretending to be dominant who are not naturally so. Reversion to our more submissive roles, our mutual desires as males, can lead to more constructive and collaborative societies. It's much easier to get along with someone if you've undressed together....

Interesting article . Thanks

Vey interesting. I think this is why I feel natural and not perverse having sex with my buddy.