Register

Re: CNN Article on Polyamory

CNN explaining polyamory – that's good news!

Straight followers of polyamory are a bit defensive and feel a need to distance themselves from promiscuity. They should upgrade their education by reading

Dossie Easton, The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures, 2009

Is Polyamory Right for me?

“… you can begin to get a handle on whether polyamory is right for you by considering the personal characteristics which seem best suited for this lovestyle and then asking yourself if these are traits which you possess – or want to acquire. Let's survey some of them:

• A talent for intimate relationships
    • High self esteem
    • A good juggler
    • A love of intensity
    • Appreciation of diversity
    • Interpersonal skills
    • And independent streak
    • A team spirit
    • A commitment to personal and spiritual growth”

Deborah N. Anapol, Polyamory: The New Love without Limits, 1997:23-25

“Chances are, should you decide that you are going follow a polyamorous path, that you will not possess most of the talents that will keep you out of trouble, and it's even less likely that you have the emotional and intellectual tools that will allow you to repair a situation, or at least back out gradually.
    In polyamory, you will find yourself suddenly adrift in rather large gray areas that, up to that point,you would've sworn were at most either black and white. There's a lot of all-or-nothing thinking that works poorly in monogamy, and will only fare worse in situations of increased complexity. For instance,take a look at the notion that “love” is something that is either full-on 100% – or doesn't exist at all.

Nonmonogamy isn't for everyone,especially not for the products of our culture. It is a lot of risk and a lot of work, in the middle of a society that whines about physical labor and wants one-pill solutions for every least irritation.”

Anthony Ravenscroft, Polyamory:Roadmaps for the Clueless & Hopeful, 2004:18, 23, 127

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory
    Last edited by Volodya; Oct 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM.

I thought that the CNN article is another salvo in the cultural wars over sexuality. Changing a culture is a long-term, generational battle with wins and defeats along the way. Sometimes I feel like an alien from another planet. I just don't get it. What does it really matter to others whom you love and what you do with your genitals? If it is between consensual adults and if it doesn't hurt others in a physically demonstrable way, then what's the big deal?!!!

The war against gays, bisexuals, transsexuals, and polyamory people says more about the fears that people have about themselves than any real dangers. The existence of polyamorous unions apparently is a threat to other peoples' view of themselves. "OMG, if that is OK, then maybe I might be susceptible to that lifestyle, that attraction, that sexuality, too." It is so sad. It will take articles like the CNN one, protests, films, books, tv shows, court cases and a lot of heartaches for many, many years before we become the tolerant society that we should aspire to.

Interesting stuff. I agree with Plumhead when he says, "What does it really matter to others whom you love and what you do with your genitals? If it is between consensual adults and if it doesn't hurt others in a physically demonstrable way, then what's the big deal?!!!" I've always been comfortable with who and what I was as far as my sexuality goes but I chose to keep it mostly private. I revealed it when I felt comfortable. Likewise I never approved or disapproved of any one else's sexuality. They're free to choose too. On the other hand when you talk about demonstrations and struggles to be accepted etc., I can't be bothered. Sexual politics bore me. I went to the Gay Pride parade in Chicago this year but it was for the party atmosphere, not because I want to change the world. There are bigger fish to try in this country than trying to convince an entire nation they're wrong because they might not agree with me.
    "

This was a great article, and I shared it on my facebook page. Thanks for posting.