Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: I Am No Longer Hot

Sheela, I'm sorry that your life has taken such a downward turn. But, I for one, do not believe that life ends at 50. I'm 48 and I feel like I'm just getting started.

I firmly believe that "you're as young as you feel." My sister was "old" in her 30s. I don't plan to start feeling old until I'm in my 90s, at least.

Experience has taught me that how I feel depends a great deal on how well I take care of myself. Sure, I need to eat less and exercise more to stay in the same shape I was in 20 or 30 years ago. But I don't plan to use my chronological age as an excuse for not taking care of myself.

Wow, did this hit home tonight.

I'm 53 and returned actively to the pursuit of finding a woman to share my life some 10 years ago. I had no trouble as a 43 year old attracting the interest of women. I had a number of dates, a couple of longer term relationships. Found myself back online placing a Personals ad at 51.

Nada. Zip. No response. It's like I wasn't there anymore.

I know all about the "young as you feel" adage and taking care of oneself. I look and act younger than my years. But I'm not going to lie about my age, and 50 and older is "over the hill" on the dating scene, at least judging from the lack of responses I'm now experiencing.

It's sad. But I think it's a fact of life.

At 61 this is one of the few things that I know to be true for all of us:

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens to us.
    Not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life.

A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes.

It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results!

Wink Re: I Am No Longer Hot

one thing i relized that you just don't use sex as being sexy, but your mind and intellagence. I'm prepare to be old because i can feel happy that i reached that age with out the head bloww up games. Im spiritual so sexy comes with me not my partners but if they are sexy then i will tell them every day, but it comes with self asorbed feelings about you, that you let so many people to posses that confendents of your self, and that's a no no,but your hot to me.
    Last edited by philly1; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:25 PM. Reason: some miss spells

Sounds like someone is feeling sorry for themself.
    Play the cards that are dealt.
    There will be more cards dealt until you die. What you do with those cards makes you a winner or a loser. So you are not the lover you once were. Nobody is. Those people who adored you and hung out with you when you were young are acquantances not true friends. Which is what your looking for. You may find that true one, you may not. But play each day to the fullest, accomplish something each day and let the chips fall where they may.
    You sounded like you were a hip person. But look deeper, better yet, dont look back. It may be too painful. But you have lived your life so now is the time to teach and support. And I am sure you will find your hotter then what you think.

Smile Re: I Am No Longer Hot

your hair looks beautiful
    the idea of youth vs experience is a no brainer for me
    certainly gay culture particularly gay men seem to put youth on a platform
    i want more than just fast sensations - tantric sex interests me alot!

maybe you need to date outside your close circle people can get a limited view of you,
    i find internet helpful and cybersex is another dimension!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you know what ... I think that once you are over 50 you do have to lie about your age a bit, because a lot of people still have a picture in their mind of what someone over 50 would be like.

People are always amazed when they find out my real age because, thanks to lucky genes I guess, I do look a lot younger than I am. I also have a younger attitude to life - I'm full of fun, and have very liberal views on people of all different types and persuasions. I take a vague interest in what sort of music young people like, how they dance now (though hopefully do not show myself up like drunken uncles at weddings!). Admittedly the bod has definitely seen much better days but my bedfellows don't seem to mind - by that time they have been attracted to me not only physically but personality-wise as well and I always have a lovely time in bed. I am so grateful for so many lovely people being interested in me!!!

But warning: when I am over 60 there is no way I am going to admit it here because people will imagine me with a zimmer frame and incontinence knickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gina7777 View Post
    Do you know what ... I think that once you are over 50 you do have to lie about your age a bit, because a lot of people still have a picture in their mind of what someone over 50 would be like.

People are always amazed when they find out my real age because, thanks to lucky genes I guess, I do look a lot younger than I am. I also have a younger attitude to life - I'm full of fun, and have very liberal views on people of all different types and persuasions. I take a vague interest in what sort of music young people like, how they dance now (though hopefully do not show myself up like drunken uncles at weddings!). Admittedly the bod has definitely seen much better days but my bedfellows don't seem to mind - by that time they have been attracted to me not only physically but personality-wise as well and I always have a lovely time in bed. I am so grateful for so many lovely people being interested in me!!!

But warning: when I am over 60 there is no way I am going to admit it here because people will imagine me with a zimmer frame and incontinence knickers!

Both of my parents are over 50 and they look absolutely wonderful. My Dad has his fair set of problems, but he has aged absolutely wonderfully (has a slight salt and pepper look running through his hair...looks soooo nice on him) and my mother has been working the past couple of months in the gym training for an over fifty body building kind of competition...so yeah, when I hear fifty I don't think a whole lot of it haha.

I feel eclipsed by the shadow of such a powerful story, and humbled to the point of not adding a remark. How can one not remark to something so truly beautiful, tragic, revealing, depressing, enlightening and might I say hopeful?

It's hopeful because you understand who and where you are and the obstacles you face. You have the insight to reveal this wound to others, not just to feed your own needs but so that we might better understand ourselves. I've often thought that the only thing we can count on is death, that the urge of self-preservation is sometimes the only thing that drives the next breath.

In my youth, when I realized myself, I looked out into the future and tried to plot the endpoints to the paths that I followed. Not so much a self-fulfilling prophecy but a logical path assuming no deviation. I see what I've always seen, everything falling apart around me until I am alone. I choose not to believe in that eventuality but I can see it. The longer I hold things in, the more they wear me down, and the pace quickens along a path.

I'm an introvert computer enthusiast that feels more comfortable with machines than people. Had I the resources to go into computer science and electrical engineering I would be single today and I'd just about guarantee single to the end.

Your life is changing but the richness of the experiences will always be with you. Not everyone is capable of those experiences. In a way I'm jealous. Only through your poetically beautiful story can I get the slightest hint of what a moment of your life is like. It is a great honor to try to give you a moment of mine.

Through my whole childhood I was tormented by thoughts of sex from the first, very accidental, orgasm at nine years of age. It guided my bisexuality and a lot of behavior, that although benign to others, I am truly ashamed of. Without someone to play with I ended up with lots of toys and a few minor medical problems in the end. All the while my love affair with computers deepened and the derivative logic was a constant clash. How could I be so burdened with such illogical desires. I must purge myself of these thoughts.

Finally, in time, the thoughts began to subside and became echos of an era I wished to forget, a past I desperately needed to get away from. Today I can embrace the emotion. During the years of confusion my logical being always pushed the emotions first. A path without emotional ties tends to end quickly.

I must admit that I don't trust people, and will never be able to find another partner beyond my wife. I'll continue to live in my computerized world, insulated from what lies beyond. The experiences I sought in fantasy in some way realized by your words and the words of others (and captured in pictures, webcams, etc ).

I can tell you that you're hot, but I can't try to seduce you or be your lover in anything more than words. This is the only place where I can touch others without the weight of all those days gone by. It sounds dishonest but I relay the only truths I know.

Unlike you, I've spent a lifetime steeling myself for when I am alone not really considering that, inside, that is why I'm alone. You aren't alone here and you never will be unless you truly want it. I know I'm telling you things you already know; that between the lines of years gone by you're just as beautiful a person now as in the beginning. I hope you believe it too.

I'm embarrassed now, for interleaving my problems and distracting from yours. I hope your post has exchanged pursuit with pursuers. PM me sometime, I love chatting with fascinating and intelligent people. Now if only I were fascinating and intelligent...
    Last edited by noabody; Mar 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
    The face of truth is a fiction of the mind.

Hi Sheela - Don't be despondent remember as we say in England you're only as old as the person you're feeling.

We are the same age you and I and I feel more free than I've ever felt in my life. I live alone but have a few friends and recently was shocked to find that a woman (nay girl) of 30 liked me.....a lot. At the same time a friend who is also bi decided he liked me.....a lot. I am actually hving more fun than I have ever had in my life so please don't despair.

I love life, I love women, I love men, I love sex and have decided that as I get it older it all gets better.

Nil desperandum XX

Hey all you need is love, and/or money,...love is abundant, well money thats another thing, but if one has it,....well love is,... what love is

TR

Trying t break into anything can be awkward

Not as accepting as you all let on are you!

For someone too just say ,...Hi would be nice

You sure bring up some interesting points. I think that turning 50 being considered old is not just a social thing, it's a professional thing as well. I've had many job interviews in the last few years and it's sure hard to see that age discrimination is illegal. I'm 50 myself and while there are certain things I can't do as well, there are things I can do better.

As far as you, Sheela. I don't know who told you are not hot any more but I beg to differ. I'm willing to be you are fantastic to be around and probably superb in bed. I'm a person that goes for brains before looks. In your case, you have both.

well im 40 i just love curvy women and men

I am 53 with a bad back and a strong libido and the beleif theres always a way.Age is nothing but a number do not let it get to you. And as far as not being hott ....you look like a right hansome woman to me. But then red hair always did light me up, like a fire cracker )

Keeo smilin

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Still Sexy After All These Years? Nope. Bi, Celibate and Old.

By Sheela Lambert

Bi, celibate and old. This is what my life has come to. When I first discovered the New York City bi community, back in 1991, I was quite popular. In fact, I was the belle of the ball. For ten years I had boyfriends, I had girlfriends…sometimes at the same time! There was the occasional threesome or foursome and constant invitations to sex parties and sex clubs that I always turned down (well almost always.) On one birthday, the entire guest-list of my bisexual birthday party gave me a group massage, which they offered (several times!) to turn into an orgy focused solely on me (I stuck with the massage.) A select bunch from my Bisexual Women’s Group went out together every week to dances and movies and beaches and I was always one of the gang. Groups of bi folk would actually gather in my apartment, even though I live in Washington Heights (commonly referred to as the nosebleed section of Manhattan).

When I was in my thirties and had lost my baby-fat but had not yet gained middle-age spread… I was hot. I was slender, curvy, and although not supermodel material, looked quite fabulous in a bikini—despite childbirth and a few stretch marks that could only be seen in bright light. My ex and I had joint custody of our son, so although I was a single mom half the week, I was single the other half. I never had to wait more than a few months between beaus or beauties, sometimes the start-up of one relationship occurred right on the heels of another’s demise. Even my diagnosis of Crohn’s disease didn’t put that much of a crimp in my social life at first because I already had a boyfriend, a girlfriend and lots of friends.

But the girlfriend decided she wasn’t comfortable with my double dating (now she’s the poster girl for polyamory) and the boyfriend wanted a healthy partner and children. Other bisexual relationships, though delightful in many ways, came and went.

But now, 13 years after my illness was diagnosed, it’s been two years since I’ve been in a relationship. And I’m not sure the last two even count. They were two recycled boyfriends, one bi and one incorrigibly straight, that I reactivated out of loneliness and the hope they would work out better the second time around. They didn’t. My theory was that two workaholics equal one decent boyfriend. But I just ended up being twice as frustrated when both of them cancelled dates, didn’t call when they should have or kept taking weeks off from the relationship because they “needed time alone.” Theoretically I was in two relationships. But in reality, I was spending weeks without a single date. I finally broke up with both, deciding that being alone would be about the same as dating those two, except without the cancellations. And then when they didn’t call me, at least I was expecting it.

About a year later, I had a few dates with a woman from one of my bi groups who proved even more slippery than the guys I broke up with. (In my experience, when it comes to dating, women are just as screwed up as the guys.) She had flirted with me years ago but when we went to see her sing in a Village jazz club, a light turned on. She had chocolate skin, long hair and a beautiful smile. She could spontaneously make up a new verse for an old standard and get everyone going. She got me going for sure. We had a couple dates but between her day job, gigging and rehearsing with her band, it was hard to get penciled in. I convinced her to squeeze in a date midweek. Although she invited me in, on my way out the door, she cancelled our date for the following Sunday. After she had her way with me. Apparently I had used up my quota of her time for the week. And this was a vacation week when she wasn’t teaching and had said she’d have more time. I got fed up and stopped calling. And since I had done all the pursuing…that was that.

Nine months later I turned 50 and freaked. I hadn’t had a date in 9 months. I hadn’t had a relationship in a year and a half. I had been faithfully attending my bi group twice a month, was showing up to a new one that popped up as well as an LGBT brunch group in my neighborhood (which turned out to be a bunch of gay guys, one lesbian and me.) I hadn’t met anyone. Just to prove to myself that I could still get a date, I put some personal ads on craigslist but left off my age. Of course since I’m bi, I had to post separate ads for men and women. And I had to be careful to write completely different wording so I wouldn’t be flagged as a repeat ad space hogger. And I had to omit any mention that I am bi.

In the men’s ad, I didn’t post that I am bi, because that attracts guys who assume I can’t wait to meet them at the nearest sex club. In the women’s ad, I didn’t post that I am bi because I would be instantly stereotyped and rejected as a bi-curious chick seeking a girl-on-girl one night stand. The only responses I could expect would be come-ons from women who are (very graphically), seeking the same.

To my bi-free ad I had many replies and three actual dates: two straight guys and a transgender woman (I answered her ad.) They went the way of most blind dates: in the crapper. I recently posted personal ads again and posted my age this time. The silence was deafening.

Apparently 20’s and 30’s are sexy. Even 40 isn’t over the hill these days. But 50 is the kiss of death. Of course, in person, people say I look much younger. But that still assumes that at 50 you have attained hagdom.

I’m experiencing the invisibility that goes with aging. Although it’s a relief to be catcall-free when I’m walking down the street, the lack of attention in my personal life is not as enjoyable. At 34, my social calendar was full. Either I have become eccentric and cranky in my old age or people just don’t think of 50 year old women as appealing. I’ve had some offers for casual sex, but one thing I’ve learned about myself over the years is that I’m into relationships and casual sex doesn’t do a thing for me.

Even the one time I got dragged to a sex party way back when (I was out of town at a bi conference and as everyone knows, conference sex doesn’t count) I fell in love. I called the girl I hooked up with at the party the next day and invited her to visit me in New York. I could tell over the phone that she thought I was a lunatic. She was taking the “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” approach and I was still thinking about the tender way she wrapped my scarf around my neck before I walked out the door.

I recently launched a new bi women’s group called Bi Women of All Colors, with Donna Redd, a friend from the good old days of the original Bisexual Women’s Group in NYC. Donna has a husband and a girlfriend—she is the bomb. I was hoping that this would be an opportunity for me to make new friends and possibly find a girlfriend too. At one of our recent dinners, two beautiful and interesting women showed up, each one special in her own way. I considered both, daydreaming about what it would be like to fall in love with each one. I was feeling quite hopeful. At the end of dinner they went off with each other.

What happened? I used to be that girl. The one that people wanted to go off with. But my role has changed. I am now seen as a mother-figure who provides opportunities for others. I am no longer hot.

I am also no longer child-bearing. I have already had hot flashes, night sweats and erratic periods. Even if I could get pregnant, when you have a child who is old enough to have his own; it’s time to close down the factory. I enjoyed motherhood but was never prepared to repeat an experience that almost killed me the first time. Luckily, modern medicine intervened and, unlike mothers who gave birth before the advent of antibiotics, I survived. And was able to enjoy raising my child.

I used to turn to family for love and attention when romance was in short supply. But the loved ones who made me feel special, my mom, my dad and my aunt have all died. My son regards me as a parent to rebel against, not a person to get to know. And my brother is a bit overwhelmed trying to substitute for the three people who have disappeared. Although he tries to be supportive, he is so tired of the bi topic, I can see his eyes roll up in his head even over the phone.

Right now, my main relationship is with my new vibrator which I was forced to purchase when my other one fried. It literally short circuited while in use, making scary noises accompanied by the acrid smell of burnt rubber—and a case of orgasm interuptus. “Electrocution by vibrator” might have gotten me into the Book of World Records, but I’m glad it didn’t.

Of course, having a chronic illness has caused me to be much less socially active. When you don’t have energy to go out, you have less opportunities to meet people. I don’t go to bi groups as often as I used to, or explore other events at the LGBT Center either. I don’t go to the theater, dance performances, restaurants or concerts—disabled people tend to be poor. I don’t go to free outdoor concerts either, as they require arriving an hour early to get an uncomfortable seat or a patch of grass (I need a backrest and a padded chair to sit for more than a few minutes) and if there are bathrooms, they are far from the seating area and have long lines; which I can’t stand on. I feel older than I look, a result of the constant fatigue from having a chronic illness. After 13 years, I only have a vague memory of what I used to be like pre-Crohn’s. People who can go to a job five days a week, play sports on the weekend or have a trim figure, all things I can no longer do, seem like they have superpowers to me.

My only superpower left is my activist work. Over 16 years, I have learned by doing. And because of the internet, it is something I can now do at home in my nightgown. I can rest between proposals and emails. And can turn my computer back on if I’m having insomnia at 3AM. Or 4 or 5 or 6. For some people, it would be a superpower to be able to speak out about their bisexuality. Either they have too much to lose or they’re having too much fun. At this point, I have nothing to lose and I’d rather spend my time racking up accomplishments for the bi and LGBT community than wasting my time on a relationship that doesn’t work, even a bi one. I would be willing to cut back a bit for true love, however. My psychic bisexual ex-boyfriend says it’s not in the cards. But I’m ready to throw the cards away.

Sheela Lambert is a veteran bi and LGBT writer, presenter and activist living in New York City with her son and her dust collection. She is the founder of the Bi Writers Association, organizer of the Bisexual Speakers Bureau in the NYC area, founder of the Bi Mental Health Professionals Association, Bi Teachers Association, Co-Founder of the Coalition of Unity and Inclusion and lead organizer of Bialogue. She was the lead activist who, together with transgender activist Pauline Park, spearheaded the successful inclusion campaigns convincing The Center, Heritage of Pride’s Annual Pride March, Pride Rally, and Pride Festival and The Film Festival in New York City to change their names from “Lesbian and Gay” to “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender” and spearheaded the successful campaign to add a bisexual award category to the Lammys book awards. She is the host of Out Professionals’ LGBT Filmmaker Series and editor of the forthcoming anthology Best Bi Short Stories. She produced and hosted the first weekly bi TV series on the planet, Bisexual Network, on NYC public access cable in 1993 and was a correspondent on the GLBT public access cable show Out in the 90’s 1992-93. She produced a Safer Sex Workshop Series for Bi Women and Lesbians March 92-Dec 95, the only one of its kind during that time period. She has been an active member of Heritage of Pride, Queer Nation, Educational Coalition on Lesbian and Gay Youth (ECoLaGY) and the Manhattan Borough President's LGBTQ and Two Spirit Advisory Board. She has a B.S. in Psychology and has worked as an HIV Counselor, in homelessness prevention and managed health food stores. In her youth she lived in a Yoga monastery for five years at the Integral Yoga Institute, coincidentally, across the street from the LGBT Community Center on 13th Street.

(c) Copryight 2007 Sheela Lambert
    So Really i see nothing wrong with you your still pretty! and to be 100% honest i have always had a thinng for people older than me !
    [/SIGPIC]When He Was Good He Was Very Good , When He Was Bad He Was Horrid

Quote Originally Posted by grxclaus View Post
    You sure bring up some interesting points. I think that turning 50 being considered old is not just a social thing, it's a professional thing as well. I've had many job interviews in the last few years and it's sure hard to see that age discrimination is illegal. I'm 50 myself and while there are certain things I can't do as well, there are things I can do better.

As far as you, Sheela. I don't know who told you are not hot any more but I beg to differ. I'm willing to be you are fantastic to be around and probably superb in bed. I'm a person that goes for brains before looks. In your case, you have both.
    So i agree with this statement 100% sheela im going to be bluntly honest if the chance for me to get with you i deffinetlly wouldent pass it up!
    [/SIGPIC]When He Was Good He Was Very Good , When He Was Bad He Was Horrid

Sheela,
    as someone who is both bisexual and living with Crohn's disease I understand you on these levels. Its hard feeling sexy when one's body changes suddenly away from our previous selves. Thank you for posting your article. I worry about single-hood and loneliness in the future; being bi/sick augments these concerns. I'm 28 these days but usually feel decades older. I have found two things with Crohn's that help though- they are doing yoga (I started when I was still being fed through a tube in my arm and couldn't walk 5 steps alone) and using medical marijuana (which allowed me to do the yoga on top of weaving me off morphine, removing nausea etc). I know the laws in NY are much harsher than CA where I am, but I think the risk would still be worth it for me if I lived in NY, so think about it, do your own online research and decide for your self. May your health be great, your spirit happy, and your love life on fire.

Sheela,
    I have to share this beautiful story with you. A friend of mine, now nearly 70, lived a wild ride, a wildly successful chorus boy he worked high profile gigs in Europe and America, until a car accident stopped his career. He had a successful partnership, but his partner died. He went through a ten year slump, but he just continued to live his life, exploring his passions. He now is a successful NY actor, has a steady committed boyfriend of four years, and LOVES his life and himself completely. HOTNESS lives inside you, it's not all about the perfect bod or the right age. Put yourself out there, live your life, discover your own hotness and share it. Your lovers exists and is desperate to meet you.
    Best to you.

Great article. I am a new member here and I am a 59 year old Bisexual female and my primary relationship is with a 70 year old straight man. We have a fabulous sex life. He is definitely a young 70 have known men in their 40's that couldn't hold a candle to him. Having said that I am also a widow and in the last years of my husband's life he had Erectile dysfunction but we still had a satisfying sex life. There are many ways of satisfying sexual feelings. My current partner and I are actively seeking bisexual females for threesomes but know we will be invisible to many because of our age. We prefer mature people, not looking for young hotties even if they would want us, LOL. I would say we are sufficiently motivated to just keep it out there and be proactive and evetually we will have some great connections. Lonliness is one of the crappy things for older people in our society but will not give up on having emotional intimacy with others.

If you have a "fabulous" sex life why are you looking for someone else? There is a serious contradiction right there. Bi female/Straight male couples are as rare as a sunny day in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilicious1950 View Post
    Great article. I am a new member here and I am a 59 year old Bisexual female and my primary relationship is with a 70 year old straight man. We have a fabulous sex life. He is definitely a young 70 have known men in their 40's that couldn't hold a candle to him. Having said that I am also a widow and in the last years of my husband's life he had Erectile dysfunction but we still had a satisfying sex life. There are many ways of satisfying sexual feelings. My current partner and I are actively seeking bisexual females for threesomes but know we will be invisible to many because of our age. We prefer mature people, not looking for young hotties even if they would want us, LOL. I would say we are sufficiently motivated to just keep it out there and be proactive and evetually we will have some great connections. Lonliness is one of the crappy things for older people in our society but will not give up on having emotional intimacy with others.

Actually it has been my understanding from my research and from my personal experience that most women are naturally bisexual. My guy and I don't want to be limited by the rigid mores of society but want to be able to fully express who we are. We feel that while we have enough for each other that a threesome with another bisexual female can be a lovely experience for all 3 participants

Wonderful writing filled with lifes observations. All of our lives are filled with these chapters. When one closes, another opens to a whole different direction. I really think that things go easier if we just go along to wherever the chapter takes us and not kick & scream quite so much- but, alas, Ive yet to figure out why my book turned out the way it has so far, but hell, I aint finished yet. Theres plenty of time for another twist or two.

Yes, most people like milk and eggs etc. Naturally, most people are "naturally" non violent how do explain murders rapists etc? You're a no-brainer "society" generic. Simple mindless "monkey see-monkey do" types, with the media obsession of "pseudo" lesbianism. You should be old enough to tell the difference. Sadly even retirement age "folks" can't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilicious1950 View Post
    Actually it has been my understanding from my research and from my personal experience that most women are naturally bisexual. My guy and I don't want to be limited by the rigid mores of society but want to be able to fully express who we are. We feel that while we have enough for each other that a threesome with another bisexual female can be a lovely experience for all 3 participants
    Last edited by azirish; Jul 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM. Reason: need to add words

Ladies Ladies Ladies PLEEEEEEASE listen to me. You get better with age. Don't be swayed by all the media distortions about what's attractive or not. Youth is the celebration of inexperience, freshness and perhaps some ignorance (including bedroom activities). Embrace yourself, your lines and your curves and your minds and stand tall. You get more beautiful with age, there's no substitute for mature confidence, it's in your swagger of your hips, the fullness of your breasts and the comfort of knowing you're past all the bullshit. If the media ignores you - you ignore it! And damn all the men / women in your lives who aren't making you feel as sexy as you are. No bullshit ladies, just the facts from where I'm sitting. Please consider.

Beautiful words to highlight a harsh reality. However, I have to say that youth, beauty, race and socio-economic status are attributes by which North Americans determine someone's worth as sexually desirable or something else. Move away from anglo culture to other people and places where age is attached to positive concepts like wisdom as opposed to ugliness. North America is not a nice place to get old.

My wife and I are "no longer hot" either, both having reached and passed that magical half century milestone at what seemed like 90 MPH in our relativity based view of time!

However...we feel you are selling yourself short!!! We all have maladies of varying degrees, some more difficult to deal with either physically or emotionally than others. So...there's the negative, where's the positive?

What we have that younger people don't is an appreciation for the more sensual than energetic, an ability to savor life based on experience. Intellectually we are for the most part settled and comfortable, we have learned to contemplate rather than run here and there for answers...looking within for wisdom often hard earned. Beauty is so much more than that hard body we once possessed, measured more by who rather than what we are. A deeper sense of self, less need to be accepted by others, confidence in our knowledge and a sense of humor refined over many years. These truly are the golden years!!!

Participation is what brings those we need in our lives close to us...we will find them when it is time, at our age we can come to understand that.

That`s when you become that tight-bodied cougar with no make up, heels, nail-polish, or dresses...that college boys love. Hit the gym, hard.