Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pushing Ice Cream Through a Brick Wall: The Search for Bi-Competent Health Care

Recently told my Dr about the bisexuality, he was completly cool with it. Maybe I'm just fortunate enough to have a Dr like that.
    My wife thinks quotes are cool, so here is mine.

Lightbulb Re: Pushing Ice Cream Through a Brick Wall: The Search for Bi-Competent Health Care

I found this article very interesing, especially since i'm a registered nurse. one of the moments i remember from school was in our Community Health class, our instructor is very active with the GLBT community re: healthcare and advocacy in general and i remember her emphasizing the importance of our tone of voice, body language, and even our own views while taking our patients health history.
    the question should always be "do you have sex with men, women, or both?" and it sounded ridiculous at the time. but then i remember watching her talk to patients (while i was still a new comer to health care and very nervous/awkward about asking such a personal question), the way she asked, without incinuating anything the same way she might ask do you have a car, take the bus or walk to work? was amazing.and th patient's response was even more surprising. when she'd ask, they'd answer and then move on to the next thing.
    watching other students try to master the same task made me realize how difficult it is, and many times its from fear. asking such a personal question can make both the patient and provider extremely uncomfortable. its up to the healthcare professional to be just that, professional. and i've noticed in practice that patients often mimick my attitude. so when i'm laid back and nonjudgemental about discussing their past sexual history, it seems to make them rest easier.
    the questions being asked are for the patients health, it doesn't benefit anyone but the patient so being honest and open is the key! and the client-provider relationship is a priveledged one, privacy is not only encouraged, but legally enforced.

Re: Pushing Ice Cream Through a Brick Wall: The Search for Bi-Competent Health Care

If more people were actually out to their doctors as being queer and asked questions about STIs/HIV to their doctors there wouldn't be problems.

Also for those paranoid about telling anything about their sexuality to a medical professional, they're required by law to keep everything and anything that you tell them confidential.

I ama bi male and tell my doctor I am bi and that I too have sex with men so he can give his professional advice on safety and keeping me healthy. he even knows I am a top and that I enjoy oral (they cant inform you on keeping healthy with only partial details.

Don't kid yourself about "medical confidentiality"....example; in a lawsuit involving say a previous injury, your so called confidential medical records including doctor office notes can and will be subpoenaed and made public...I know from experience unfortunately...

"LOVE EVERYONE...TRUST NO ONE"

Talking Re: Pushing Ice Cream Through a Brick Wall: The Search for Bi-Competent Health Care

This is great to know! I am working on finishing up my licensing and opening up a family clinic in less than 5 years. I never even thought about this concept!!! Looks like the Los Angeles area will have a healthcare clinic that will include Bi-Compentency.

YAY!!
    Thanks for the great idea!

Loved the article! It presented several valid arguments against the narrow minded conservative view that some people hold.

I found this article very interesing, especially since i'm a registered nurse. one of the moments i remember from school was in our Community Health class, our instructor is very active with the GLBT community re: healthcare and advocacy in general and i remember her emphasizing the importance of our tone of voice, body language, and even our own views while taking our patients health history.
    the question should always be "do you have sex with men, women, or both?" and it sounded ridiculous at the time. but then i remember watching her talk to patients (while i was still a new comer to health care and very nervous/awkward about asking such a personal question), the way she asked, without incinuating anything the same way she might ask do you have a car, take the bus or walk to work? was amazing.and th patient's response was even more surprising. when she'd ask, they'd answer and then move on to the next thing.
    watching other students try to master the same task made me realize how difficult it is, and many times its from fear. asking such a personal question can make both the patient and provider extremely uncomfortable. its up to the healthcare professional to be just that, professional. and i've noticed in practice that patients often mimick my attitude. so when i'm laid back and nonjudgemental about discussing their past sexual history, it seems to make them rest easier.
    the questions being asked are for the patients health, it doesn't benefit anyone but the patient so being honest and open is the key! and the client-provider relationship is a priveledged one, privacy is not only encouraged, but legally enforced.
    The capability to fletch bolts need to get unlocked so as to create Amethyst Broad Bolts. Another alternative when it is to make bolts. You osrs buy gold can bring these thoughts to metal bolts you have made employing the Smithing skill.