Register

In Honor Of.....(Kinda Long)

Memorial Day-08

While sitting here and listening to Charlie Daniel’s song Saigon, I had a smart ass from another group ask me if I was going to post the same worn out, tired litany about Veterans as I do at Memorial Day and Veterans day. Well guess what? Yes I am, and if anyone is offended by my “Flag-Waving, Vet Hugging” views, then I suggest that you bite my rosy red, and click onto another topic. (Yes, Your Cat is a hard nose when it comes to my Vets.)

Only a couple of you here that know me well, know that I worked for 15 years in the Veteran’s Administration in California, as a Veteran’s Representatives Aide, and was married to a Vietnam Vet with P.T.S.D. for nearly 30 years. I worked primarily with Vet’s from Korea/Vietnam, Granada, Desert Storm, Persian Gulf and Iraq. I gained an immense love and respect for these men and women, and hold that view close to me. It didn’t matter what war, it didn’t matter what branch of service, I loved and respected all of them equally.
    I respect them for the sacrifices that they made, and make everyday, so that each and every one of us can revel in, and enjoy our own personal freedoms that we possess today.
    Think about it for a moment…Do you realize what all they give up for Us? They are/were away from Their own families, and personal freedoms so that we in turn may live ours, and so that our children, grandchildren, and future generations can live free too. They put their lives on the line for us every single day, without as so much of a Thank Ye Sir or Ma’am from many of us.

They don’t expect fancy parades when they return home, they don’t expect to be paid honor and homage, all they want is your admiration and respect, as it should be. In Washington D.C there is a huge black marble monument with the names of
    58, 900 men and 9 women who gave the most ultimate sacrifice anyone could give in the duty for their country and fellow Americans. And there is estimated that there are over 2,000 POW’s and MIA’s who gave of themselves for us as well.
    This is a testimony to their love, honor, and respect to all of us, is it too much to return that honor once in a while by remembering them, and the past generations of men and women who gave their lives for us? No. Not in my humble opinion it is not.

So, today on this Day, please take time to do something. Go to a cemetery of your choice and lay a flower or wreath at the base of one of the Veteran’s Memorials, attend a Veteran’s Memorial service pit on by one of the local Veterans associations or hang your flags proudly. Take a scant second honk at some of the many people who stand with dedication on over passes around the country. Or simply do a Native American way of respect; Say a prayer at sundown to the setting Father Sun and say, “Job well done Soldier, and Thank You. You will never be forgotten.”

I salute every military man and woman in this country, Past, Present, and Future, and if that makes me a Vet Hugger and a Flag Waver, oh fucking well. :}
    Happy Memorial Day to all of you Veterans, and those that love you.
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Re: In Honor Of.....(Kinda Long)

Aho!

Ambi

Thank you, Cherokee

As a 100% disabled vet from Vietnam, I appreciate your sentiments. It's a shame that we did not have more people like you to come home to in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee_Mountaincat View Post
    Memorial Day-08...I salute every military man and woman in this country, Past, Present, and Future, and if that makes me a Vet Hugger and a Flag Waver, oh fucking well. :}
    Happy Memorial Day to all of you Veterans, and those that love you. Cat
    as the child of a military man long since passed, I still do go to our National cemetery on November 11th each year (our Remembrance Day).

**Peg**
    "To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage." -Lao Tzu

Many thanks hon! As a veteran, I certainly appreciate those kind words.

Nothing wrong with all ya said CAT--I am a vet myself----and this day is one of those set aside for remembering those soldiers, airmen, sailors, marines and civillians who have given their lives in each and every war this nation has ever been involved in.

Irrespective of how one feels about war in general or a particular war---you do have to honor those who do go and serve. As far as a war is concerned---the "troops" don't have any choice---if the powers that be of the nation say they must go--they go and often pay the highest price for doing so.

I am against the war in Iraq for many reasons---but since it is going on--I do support those who are over there in harms way and I wish each and every one of them makes it through unscathed---but war being war--that is not going to happen.

I certainly honor those who did "give all'-in this war and all the others including the crew of one Coast Guard boat I heard about in the Gulf--a CG small boat--guarding the oil platforms of Iraq was approached one day by a boatload of people--the CG boat intercepted and when they did--the boat making its way to the platform blew up and that explosion killed the crew on the CG patrol boat since they were so close by that point.

After thinking about my time in the service-- I had some very close calls while performing my duty----I did go to Grenada in the aftermath of our invasion of that country--but did so without incident--but my closest call came one day "at home" when we had to go out into the Gulf of Mexico to save a sailboat that had lost its engine, mast and nearly everything else in the face of an oncoming hurricane. I almost got swept off the deck when a huge wave broke over us and we took a hard roll at the same time--I got hit so hard the safety harness broke and I really don't know how I was not washed overboard and in the conditions we were in--the probability of getting rescued was slim to none--

I guess each service has its dangers and the fact is in most of them--they have more injuries and fatalities that occur during the course of activites not relating to war at all--but simply take place during the course of training and doing regular duties and those who die in that way should not be forgotten either---so I often think of those who have served and died while in the service who did so doing just "regular things."

For the Coast Guard--one such case took place back in January 1980----a 180' buoy tender called the Blackthorn had spent time at a shipyard in the Tampa Bay, Florida area. Darkness had set in and they were making their way out of the bay---and inbound was a tanker ship.

Somehow---those working the watch on both ships-consdering it was a high traffic area were derelict in their duty. Somehow the two ships had a collision and the Blackthorn did not fare well in that collision.

Here is a link to a story about the loss of the ship: https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/425/61426/

Whenever my boat came in and out of Tampa Bay---and we happened to either cross that point or very near it--we would assemble all hands on deck along the rails and do an all hands salute to our fellow Coasties who died in that accident.

I never knew any of those people obviously--but I always think of the crew of the Blackthorn on days like Memorial Day and still do my own private, internal salute of sorts to honor them.

I know that I rambled on here---but I do ask everyone who is of a mind to do so if you are honoring those who have died in the "wars" over in Iraq and Afghanistan--also think of those military members who also die in accidents and doing duty here at home and in places not anywhere near a war zone.

Peace all!!

The USCG Cutter Blackthorn underway in 1972 and the Memorial monument for those of the crew who were lost:

Photos by the USCG
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wink Re: In Honor Of.....(Kinda Long)

Thank you loves. I know that I like to come across as a Simple Country Bumpkin in chat, but when it comes to my Veterans and their families, I'm all seriousness. :}
    Have a Fantastic and Safe Memorial Day.
    Your Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Just a side note to ya, Cat...you are far from a simple country bumpkin in chat...you are a breath of fresh air that always reminds us to forget the idle shit and learn to appreciate life for what it is....Far too short to let it pass us by!!! And your hugs are ones to be remembered for sure!!! LOL!!

Hugs,
    Kate
    Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."

C. S. Lewis

Thank you, Cat.

(USAF - 1986 -1990 )
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
    —A. A. Milne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Thank you, Cat. I appreciate your kind words as I know that all of the vets out there who read this do. My grandfather was a POW in a concentration camp during WWII and every Memorial Day, I think of all that he sacrificed so that he could come home safely to his family, all for the love of freedom. Kudos to you!

I am an American fighting man I serve in the forces that guard my country and my way of life I am prepared to give my life in their defence. This is what I believed when I was in the army and what I still believe,all of the men and women that served and those that died for their country deserve more then we could ever repay.

My hubby served in the marine corps and after being out of the service for about 4 years, he is re-enlisting. I am struggling with the idea of being a military wife, but gosh darn it the men and women who make the decision to do this line of work have some massive balls and I am still proud of him and everyone else in the world who does what they all do (and have done) for this country. I have much respect for them. you are right, they don't expect to be praised when they come home. they don't expect parades and fireworks and men and women screaming their names, as much as they deserve it.

"Let us sing for unsung heroes, those who lay their dreams aside.
    choosing honor more than glory
    Pledging faith with quiet pride
    Those whose uniform is courage yet are un a-shamed of tears.
    Finding in their love of freedom power stronger than their fears.
    Sing a song for unsung heroes, sing from sea to shining sea.
    As the faithful sang before you sing the song of liberty
    Let us sing for unsung heroes, those who answer freedom's call.
    Those united by one purpose all for one and one for all.
    We will sing and not be silenced.
    We will keep our voices strong
    For as long as we keep singing freedom's cry will still live on.
    Sing a song for unsung heroes, sing from sea to shining sea.
    As the faithful sang before you, sing the song of liberty. "

Thank you Cat.

As a Veteran and son of a Veteran myself, I am painfully aware of what we have to do to protect the civil rights of others.

On the note of memorial, for those Americans who may get to travel to the UK, please, during your travels, take a day and stop in the town of Cambridge.

There is a cemetery and small memorial there to honor the Americans who gave the last full measure of devotion to freedom.
    Not just our freedom, but the freedom of other nations as well. All of our armed forces are represented there. Army/Army Air Corps, Navy Marines and Coast Guard are all set up in groups based on their respective branches.
    This is the ONLY place, that is British sovereign territory that the American flag flies alone, 24/7.

I was there about 25 years ago and the site is beautiful as is the mural in the small visitors chapel. A truly fitting and wonderful honor, by the British people, to our servicemen from WWII, who helped in the effort to end tyranny.

Thanks Cat - I salute you in your steadfast love and concern for all of the Active Duty personnel and us Vets.
    Although I am not physically able to serve again, I would if asked or allowed.
    In our local newspaper, appears daily a full-page section called "Cheers and Jeers". So I would like submit my own 'Cheers and Jeers' at this time - - - -

Cheers: to MountainCat for her determined love and support for our active duty and veterans on this most auspicious day, Memorial Day.
    And to all the auto dealerships who flew their American Flags on this day.

Jeers: to all the auto dealerships that failed to fly their American Flags, whether intentionally or not.

When injustice becomes law,
    Resistance becomes DUTY. T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thanks Cat - I salute you in your steadfast love and concern for all of the Active Duty personnel and us Vets.
    Although I am not physically able to serve again, I would if asked or allowed.
    In our local newspaper, appears daily a full-page section called "Cheers and Jeers". So I would like submit my own 'Cheers and Jeers' at this time - - - -

Cheers: to MountainCat for her determined love and support for our active duty and veterans on this most auspicious day, Memorial Day.
    And to all the auto dealerships who flew their American Flags on this day.

Jeers: to all the auto dealerships that failed to fly their American Flags, whether intentionally or not.

I second Doggie's cheers for cat and thank her for the thread. I hope that everyone has a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend whether they have the holiday in their country or not. Please say a prayer for all the vets who should be home with their loved ones, those that have served and defended their countries and those that gave their lives to protect the rest of us.
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7a7ac275b3.gif
    Hugs,
    Arana

Life is a strange thing...
    Just when you think you've learned how to use it, it's gone.....

My wife and I were watching the little ones running around playing in the sprinkler earlier today, when something occurred to us. Ten years ago, the kids who were running around in the sprinklers on the lawn, completely oblivious to the dangers of the world are now working their butts off just to stay alive in Iraq and Afghanistan today. They grew up in a world before 9/11, and yet are now more familiar with danger than any human ought to be. How quickly the world changes.

It occurred to us that yesterday's soldiers fought and died, and today's soldiers are fighting and dying so that our children can continue to run around carefree in the sprinklers and we can keep firing up our barbeques in peace.

You may or may not agree with their commanders, that their mission furthers this cause rather than works against it. But the people out there on the "front lines" deserve at least a moment's reflection: whatever it is they are actually achieving, they are doing it for all of us.

tm

Thumbs up Re: In Honor Of.....(Kinda Long)

That was a very lovely post, Cat!

I want to thank all who had fought and who is currently fighting for our freedom. This video states a lot and it is one of my most favorite song. It brings tears to my eyes and I do love my country!

God Bless The U.S.A

Although I personally do not agree with the current circumstances and locales(that leaders got them there) that our soilders find themselves I stand behind these brave men and woman who have dedicated themselves to preserving the rights of the citizens of the United States of America and those situations for world peace. Never has their sacrifice gone unnoticed nor forgotten.

Belle

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee_Mountaincat View Post
    Memorial Day-08

While sitting here and listening to Charlie Daniel’s song Saigon, I had a smart ass from another group ask me if I was going to post the same worn out, tired litany about Veterans as I do at Memorial Day and Veterans day. Well guess what? Yes I am, and if anyone is offended by my “Flag-Waving, Vet Hugging” views, then I suggest that you bite my rosy red, and click onto another topic. (Yes, Your Cat is a hard nose when it comes to my Vets.)

Only a couple of you here that know me well, know that I worked for 15 years in the Veteran’s Administration in California, as a Veteran’s Representatives Aide, and was married to a Vietnam Vet with P.T.S.D. for nearly 30 years. I worked primarily with Vet’s from Korea/Vietnam, Granada, Desert Storm, Persian Gulf and Iraq. I gained an immense love and respect for these men and women, and hold that view close to me. It didn’t matter what war, it didn’t matter what branch of service, I loved and respected all of them equally.
    I respect them for the sacrifices that they made, and make everyday, so that each and every one of us can revel in, and enjoy our own personal freedoms that we possess today.
    Think about it for a moment…Do you realize what all they give up for Us? They are/were away from Their own families, and personal freedoms so that we in turn may live ours, and so that our children, grandchildren, and future generations can live free too. They put their lives on the line for us every single day, without as so much of a Thank Ye Sir or Ma’am from many of us.

They don’t expect fancy parades when they return home, they don’t expect to be paid honor and homage, all they want is your admiration and respect, as it should be. In Washington D.C there is a huge black marble monument with the names of
    58, 900 men and 9 women who gave the most ultimate sacrifice anyone could give in the duty for their country and fellow Americans. And there is estimated that there are over 2,000 POW’s and MIA’s who gave of themselves for us as well.
    This is a testimony to their love, honor, and respect to all of us, is it too much to return that honor once in a while by remembering them, and the past generations of men and women who gave their lives for us? No. Not in my humble opinion it is not.

So, today on this Day, please take time to do something. Go to a cemetery of your choice and lay a flower or wreath at the base of one of the Veteran’s Memorials, attend a Veteran’s Memorial service pit on by one of the local Veterans associations or hang your flags proudly. Take a scant second honk at some of the many people who stand with dedication on over passes around the country. Or simply do a Native American way of respect; Say a prayer at sundown to the setting Father Sun and say, “Job well done Soldier, and Thank You. You will never be forgotten.”

I salute every military man and woman in this country, Past, Present, and Future, and if that makes me a Vet Hugger and a Flag Waver, oh fucking well. :}
    Happy Memorial Day to all of you Veterans, and those that love you.
    Cat

God bless you kitty cat. And God bless all of my fellow veterans on this Memorial Day.

Like your ex, I served in Vietnam. 15 of my friends' names are engraved on the wall in D.C. Even though I live nearby, I have never been able to gather the courage to visit the Vietnam Memorial and pay my respects to the guys. It's not that I don't love and miss them -- I am simply not emotionally strong enough. Maybe someday I will gather the courage to say a final goodbye to them.

Wonderful post Cat. I am a Viet Nam Combat vet also. I am a member of the VFW and DAV. I was lucky to have come home in one piece. I still remembered how I was treated when I arrived home, Los Angeles, Snears, Name calling, Couldn't get a job and etc. Pretty down harding. I am proud now as the people in the US have changed there tune. I to lost many friends I served with and fought with. I am very proud of them and there families and what they have stood for and still stand for.
    All the best Cat and keep up the good work and thanks for making this Vet proud of you and your beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by godowntogether View Post
    I am an American fighting man I serve in the forces that guard my country and my way of life I am prepared to give my life in their defence. This is what I believed when I was in the army and what I still believe,all of the men and women that served and those that died for their country deserve more then we could ever repay.
    I agree with you 100% my friend.
    Earl a Navy vet.

Thanks for Awesome post Cat! I am son of a Navy Veteran. I couldn't serve due to my hearing. So Now days I do Support work with Patriot Guard Riders as a flag and water bottle hauler. I stand behind our Vets and their families.

For every Vet that I see, I'll go over to them & say "Thank you for your service."

And when I see members of the military I always shake their hands.

I haven't done one for awhile now----but for a time I had done a series of interviews of military vets---mostly those from WWII here in my part of Florida as part of a dual program with an oral history program at the University of Florida, with the material we collect then being passed on to the US Library of Congress to be placed in their military oral history program.

With both programs, they put the audio file recording we do into publicly accessible archives.

I heard some great stories with some of the men having done more run of the mill, routine sorts of things while in--but still great to hear and know about. We were really seeking history as seen by these people, which can give a different perspective than what is in the history books.

One man I wished had consented to tell me his story----but at the last minute--due to the bad memories he says he holds every waking moment--would simply get too much. His story, he had been with Patton's Third Army from the time Patton took it over in North Africa, then onto the continent to the end of the war and his duty, he was one of the first Americans, trained by the British "commando units" to serve that function for the USA, with he and his men--going forward of Patton, doing things like sniping, blowing up bridges and such.

That would have been a great story.

Another interesting one I had, the man was sharp as a whip for being into his 90s--many of those I interviewed---were having memory recall issues--but this man---really amazing. He had been a bombardier aboard a B-29, not getting into the war till towards the end, with his plane being one of the lead planes that conducted the incendiary bombing of Tokyo and other Japanese cities.

He was also a great photographer and among his wonderful photos that we submitted copies to the U of F program, one of them had other "ships" in the squadron in a staggered row---flying over Mt. Fuji. Another one: Photos of his sister planes dropping their bombing payload and the one that really got me----a photo of the USS Missouri at anchor in Tokyo Harbor, at the conclusion of the signing of the papers in which Japan surrendered.

What got me, as it happened--the night before on one of the cable history channels, I had watched a show about the final days of the war, and from the deck of the Missouri, there was film footage and the aircraft coming over and among the first in that film, was a flight of B-29s--so in that historical show, I had to see this man's plane in the film taken aboard the Missouri and that photo this man took---with both done at the same time.

One last cool story about the WWII vets. I didn't get to interview this next man--he was one of the Tuskeegee Airman. A few weeks after that interview, the guy who was leading our group at the time, he has a friend in our area who lives in one of those "fly-in communities" that houses are set on an airport--it is not far from me--it is the same one that John Travolta has a place and flies his planes, including his Boeing 707 from.

This man is older himself but is or was a very successful businessman and has a squadron of airplanes that includes many WWII warbirds. One of them is a rare two place P-51 Mustang, the same planes the Airman flew.

The owner took up the Airman and after a little bit of flying--asked him if he wanted to "take the stick"--the Airman jumped at it. They have video of it---and as our group leader noted---the Airman went from just being a back seat rider--as soon as he took control--he was no longer a 90 something old man, he was once again a 20 something year old award winning fighter pilot that shot down many a Nazi plane and helped the bombers cross the channel and get back in one piece.

The did a whole series of combat style maneuvers and the Airman brought her in for a perfect landing.

It was an honor and quite an experience to have played a small role in recording at least some of these great stories for posterity's sake.

Sadly, we are fast losing those members of "The Greatest Generation!" It won't be all that many more years and there will none of them left.
    Last edited by 12voltyV2.0; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:08 PM.

YOU ROCK!