Register

UK/Ireland: Historic offences forgiven

Thousands of posthumous pardons are being issued for men prosecuted in years gone by under homophobic laws in the UK.

And Ireland might be about to follow suit

Re: UK/Ireland: Historic offences forgiven

It's way too late for this, and it's a completely pointless gesture now in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by pole_smoker View Post
    It's way too late for this, and it's a completely pointless gesture now in 2017.
    pole-smoker I've been reading your judgmental, grossly opinionated, narrow-minded posts all over this site. You need to get the hell off of this site. Don't go away mad, just go away.

The act of forgiving these men posthumously, may be symbolic, but it is showing that the world is becoming a more open and accepting place...Also it is teaching forgiveness, and tolerance, to a younger , more open generation.

lets hope it teaches some key 'elected' officials here in the states a thing or two...

Quote Originally Posted by pole_smoker View Post
    I agree. Way to late to benefit anyone except those who now feel guilty for what they did to others.
    JEM

Not till we get rid of Trump, Pence and that gang of thugs-----we are gonna be lucky if we get out of this time without a major meltdown of the US and world's economy and he doesn't burn the world in a flash of nuclear bombs

Quote Originally Posted by csreef View Post
    The act of forgiving these men posthumously, may be symbolic, but it is showing that the world is becoming a more open and accepting place...Also it is teaching forgiveness, and tolerance, to a younger , more open generation.
    There remain 15000 or so living lgbt people still regarded as criminals who could just as easily been free pardoned but no... they must apply individually. I assume by coughing up (administrative) cash for the privilege. I don't like the principle of free pardons in such cases.. if a person is not guilty and considered to be after an initial conviction should he or she not simply be considered innocent of offence?
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.