Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Ashley Madison hack

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    The RCMP, Toronto Police, FBI and a few other international police forces are coming together to fight this newer type of crime.
    They must be fearful of the competetion.

Quote Originally Posted by sysper View Post
    so how did rob ford get away with it
    * high fives *

Quote Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
    One of the biggest stories today was the unprecedented, historic stock market crash yet I didn't encounter a single blip where someone chose to jump out of a window because of it like the crash of the 30's which led to the Great Depression in this country.

Suicide is a personal choice.

One of the stories involved the police chief of San Antonio, Texas. I'm disturbed by this because it just doesn't add up which is what cases of suicide tend to do. He was a highly respected man, looked up to by his subordinates. In the profile I read, he came across as a man's man, a cop's cop. I once visited the city. At that time, it had one of the highest murder rates in the country. And it's a huge city ! It would take a strong man, in every sense of the words, to climb to the pinnacle of where he was with his career. So, how does such a strong man suddenly implode & give up in the wake of a sexual scandal, something so commonplace in our society ?

Most police officers in general are not that intelligent, or good people. These men do set unrealistically high standards for themselves & everyone else and when there is a breakdown they fall hard. Most men would have to face the consequences of their actions and move on from there but some, like this man probably faced a jury of 1 and sentenced himself to death.

The "man" betrayed and cheated on his wife and then further devastated his family by doing the selfish and pointless act of committing suicide. What's to admire about him?

They aren't victims. They are adults who made a conscious decision to do something and need to take responsibility for their actions.

You have to be a complete idiot to sign up to an Internet site that promotes cheating on your partner, giving them your credit card details, personal info, and publishing all your sexual fantasies - and not expect the information to be leaked.

If you're so in love with your partner and the life you have together that you are willing to kill yourself when there is a risk you are going to loose it all, what the hell are you doing having an affair?!?

It's sad that people have taken their own lives because of this, but they knew what they were signing up to and surely must have thought their spouses would possibly find out? To go to such extremes to get out of facing the music to something they willingly entered into is cowardly. And for those saying the hackers should be brought to justice....grow up, these people have no one to blame but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pole_smoker View Post
    Agree with one aspect you present. Those who cheated ought to be adult enough to accept consequences.

That noted I disagree that crackers who acted immorally and unethically, fail a need to face consequences. Most web sites do provide users with legal contracts, in the form of terms of services, privacy policies. If these sites even implied user data was secure that sets them as liable as well. The only way a site is off the hook is in such case they were cracked after having taken reasonable measures. That said, this leaves the crackers to face liabilitites, consequences.

There are lots of irresponsible people involved in something like this incident. The cheaters are irresponsible in cheating and in trusting the consideration of privacy to the site/s. The site and its staff are irresponsible for having infered they could control all variables and provide security and privacy. The crackers are irresponsible in breaking into the site's/s' systems and taking the data, more so in releasing it if those extorted do not pay. More than enough blame and stupid to go around there. May even say it is a break down of the human condition.

But oh, you and your alleged authority, point fingers only at one group. Starting to understand yet?

For clarity and sanity, I am in no way a lawyer. Do have a very thick reference book here on systems administration though. It does go into a good breadth of some of the legal issues system adminstrators face. The work covers systems administration for Red Hat, Debian, BSD, Ubunt Linux flavors, some even delves into Unix. One tool does one job well, combine tools and tackle bigger problems. "So lot becomes a little.", "One bite at a time is how you eat elephants."; Are both found to be crucibles of knowledge throughout.

Or, as Margrette Atwood says, "One word after another, sentence after sentence is how you create power and write a story." And I paraphrase there.
    Last edited by void(); Aug 25, 2015 at 3:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sysper View Post
    so how did rob ford get away with it
    That is an interesting quagmire. I agree that Ford seemed to have no shame. Possibly Sociopaths feel no shame and rationalize that they didn't do "X". He didn't realize that people were laughing at him and not with him.

It was suspiciously convenient when Ford developed cancer and dropped out. It brought out some sympathy for Ford even with those who despised him.

Those who signed up with Ashley did not sign a clause stating that they may have their identity given out to blackmailers etc. I suspect in fact that there was a confidentiality clause. The lawsuit will be interesting.
    Last edited by tenni; Aug 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    ... Ford seemed to have no shame. Possibly Sociopaths feel no shame and rationalize that they didn't do "X".

Those who signed up with Ashley did not sign a clause stating that they may have their identity given out to blackmailers etc. I suspect in fact that there was a confidentiality clause. The lawsuit will be interesting.
    Sociopathy creates a numbness one cannot even name as feeling numb. You feel nothing at all as a sociopath. Currently, all which tethers me is love of my wife, critters, mom to a degree (although after she suggested I take a job where I was listed as dead, not too sure on mom), two half brothers I gre up with, grandma, elain. Also try to maintain a gallows dry humor. So yes, you're correct in speculation he felt no shame. Emotions are not existant for sociopaths and full on extreme for pyschopaths. One is what is called ice, the other called an inferno.

For whatever rationale I swim about mid point, can go to one for safe harbor from the other in order to cope, survive. Seems it is a family trait from my mom's side, my Pap was like this, mom is like this, I'm like this. If we aren't somber as judges, we can be real wise asses of the calibre that hit you with glaringly obvious snarks, snides, puns, jibs, jabs. None of us plan, planning is just hooey what defenstrates itself when the poop starts being flung. All of us though grab shovels, fling the poo back and in spades. All of us can be another human's most loyal and dear friend, cross us just once and that is over, period and full stop.

Agree that the lawsuit/s will be highly interesting. In some ways though I doubt there will be lawsuits. There will be a lot of desire to keep this all on the hush, off to the never never. The guns have already been fired. "Hey, I think we got the queers, bisexuals, trannies all on the run now! Yeeha! They'll think twice about binding together with straight folk to advance political reform. Hell yeah, we gots 'em but good! Fuck with us will they? Ha! Fuck them!" I can just imagine that diatribe off in some skiffed room, office of the elites.

But guess what? It will not matter. They can keep shooting, we'll still keep being victorious. Oil is flooding market and China has eaten up all the gold it can get. Russia is dealing with China, Brazil, Mexico. The peso went back to being backed by silver recently, not the U.S. dollar. The U.S. cannot produce oil effiecently or affordably enough to compete with the Suadis who are drowning the world in oil. To borrow from a Tool song, "I'm praying for rain, let it come and flush it all away. I'll learn to swim, learn to swim ...". And that is the bigger gun the elites are shooting off their little guns over. They're scared enough be constipated for the remainder of their lives. They figure, "aw Hell, we this scared, may as well spread the fear around." Sorry bub, we been afraid too long. For us it is time to be courageous, to go forward with no fear! Now, step asid, sit down, shut up and hold on. Might get bumpy. *chuckles*
    Last edited by void(); Aug 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

This hack wasn't much of a surprise to me. As an adult web forum administrator, I had become an affiliate of Ashley Madison's for click-through compensation. When it came to the point of providing my financial account information to them for them to be able to automatically transfer their payment to me, I noticed that the page requesting this sensitive information was not secure. Any information that I would have provided (bank account information) would have traversed the WWW unencrypted and open to anyone who might have been watching.

Nope. I refused and worked another more secure payment option out with them.

I figured that if they were so lax about security with affiliates, they were probably as lax in other areas of their business.

Unofficial Community Leader

FIRE IN THE BELLY

Quote Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
    From the commentary, they sold shoes.

Okaaay then. Someone was doing a lot of stretching to track people buying shoes. I am sure blue pumps give away a sexual disposition to cheat on spouses. Quite a strecth even for this mind what correlates and can hold integrities of various narrative threads. Not saying it could not be. Still it presents larger questions if it is the case they sold shoes.

I want to see the algorith for that. TrackCheatShoe( if shoe=CheatArray; then FollowCheatShoe(); else return 0); How would anyone decide about the atoms of that array? What constitutes cheating shoes? Who says? Why? Oh yeah by the way, that is just fubared up but good. *sits with mind blown, greps OJ, drinks)

Maybe not. The military has never had any great interest in the private lives of its members. Prying too much, has never paid off. They are very practical this way. For them it all comes down to "the good order and discipline of the unit". Adultery as such, dose not mean much to them. Now, messing around within the chain of command, gets their attention. Anything which disrupts the unit, or embarrasses the Service will be treated harshly.
    To my way of thinking, any idiot who having been taught the discipline of communications security, who knows its ins, and outs, and still uses a real name, or outs him self some other way, was too stupid to be trusted with dangerous toys, much less the defense of the nation. I feel bad for the soldiers who will take this in the neck, but small loss.
    As to the politicians, it won't hurt them at all. Never has before, won't now. I really wish it would, but it won't. Sad all the way round.