Register

Thread: YES! Ireland

Smile YES! Ireland

Historic day today as Ireland is poised to be the 19th country to legally recognize same sex marriages, the first country to do it by popular vote.

Proud of my Irish Heritage!

Re: YES! Ireland

Congratulations to Ireland!

This is fantastic, especially in a country that didn't legalize divorce until 1995.

They did it, a very clear victory and great for Ireland---I'd say that the last vestiges of the shackles that the Catholic Church had upon Ireland are pretty much a thing of the past. Too bad the that one European court held that gays do not have the same degree of rights afforded them as others, especially when it comes to same-sex marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by 12voltyV2.0 View Post
    They did it, a very clear victory and great for Ireland---I'd say that the last vestiges of the shackles that the Catholic Church had upon Ireland are pretty much a thing of the past. Too bad the that one European court held that gays do not have the same degree of rights afforded them as others, especially when it comes to same-sex marriage.
    A tadge presumptious, Voltie, since the final result is some way off.. but it is running 62% or so in favour as I write and I don't expect a bloody great shock now... so not too presumptious really.. triff, hey? A real sign that Ireland has finally chucked off the yoke of the Catholic church, something few would have believed just a decade or 2 ago...
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

horray for ireland!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CurEUs_Male View Post
    Historic day today as Ireland is poised to be the 19th country to legally recognize same sex marriages, the first country to do it by popular vote.

Proud of my Irish Heritage!
    …we’re all proud of our Irish heratige….

Saw this on Twitter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFngkx4WMAE9Sq_.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	35751
    There's a big gay rainbow over Dublin, if that's not Jesus giving the Yes vote I don't know what is

Wonder wich deity gave his/her blessing wiv the 2cd rainbow.... Allah ya reckon?

...and I wonder wich is whose?
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

I think that this is good for same sex couples in Ireland and shows a shifting world view! It does seem like old issues to those countries where same sex marriages have existed for ten years. It gives bigotry a need to be more discreet about their hatred but bigotry still exists.

NOW, if we could get the view to change about seeing other inequities in the world...ie Islamophobia, the role of Corporations controlling so called democracies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    I think that this is good for same sex couples in Ireland and shows a shifting world view! It does seem like old issues to those countries where same sex marriages have existed for ten years. It gives bigotry a need to be more discreet about their hatred but bigotry still exists.

NOW, if we could get the view to change about seeing other inequities in the world...ie Islamophobia, the role of Corporations controlling so called democracies etc.
    Of course 1.8 million people in part of Ireland remain unable to marry their own gender in their country of residence.... the same 1.8 million in the UK who are unable to do so... so the battle isn't completely won for the peoples of either state...

Clarify for those of us in the colonies darkeyes.

The 1.8 million that you refer to are in what part of the UK?

You have united Ireland I see...lol (Eire and Northern Ireland)???

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    Clarify for those of us in the colonies darkeyes.

The 1.8 million that you refer to are in what part of the UK?

You have united Ireland I see...lol (Eire and Northern Ireland)???
    I have simply placed the North of Ireland where it belongs while recognising the present political reality, tenni...

I would like to see the ballot language. I don't believe in "Gay Marriage" as such. Marriage is a religious rite. I do believe in hetero and gay civil unions because they invest a tone of legal rights. In other words, all marriages are civil unions, but all civil unions are not marriages. Now mind you, if a church or even a judge presides over a gay marriage ceremony, that's fine with me. No church should be forced to perform such a ceremony.

In the U.S., short of our Supreme Court handing down a decision, it is up to each state. Historically, marriage and domestic relations were always a state issue. Believe me, Federal Courts have no interest in reviewing child support, child visitation or the division of property. The "Full Faith and Credit Clause" does not drive the boat on interstate recognition of gay marriage.

Mas
    In Canada and I suspect in Britain, marriage is a legal right and not religious right. All ministers and religious people performing marriage must be accredited by the state and province. This has always been the method even before Canada's Supreme Court upheld the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Like the US, Canadian provinces dealt with same sex marriage first until a majority of provinces' Supreme Courts ruled. (not gay...some bisexuals marry same gender). It may have been just co incidence as the Federal and provincial Supreme courts were dealing with this issue at the nearly the same time. It has now been ten years of same sex marriages in Canada.

In Ireland(Republic of Eire), I am uncertain but it looks like the entire population voted on this as the Eire Republic constitution did define marriage as between a male and female(again not 100% sure). I'm not sure if the state licensed priests to perform a legal marriage ceremony but it may.
    Last edited by tenni; May 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM.