Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use of the word "cunt" and Misogyny

Is the use of the word “cunt” on bisexual.com derogatory towards women and misogynistic?

Is the use of the word “cunt” on bi.com attracting bisexual women or turning them off?

Does the use of the word "cunt" attract and arouse male bisexuals to bi.com?

Should the use of the word "cunt" be encouraged and rationlized as all PC bullshit concerns?

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.
    Last edited by tenni; May 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM.

Re: Use of the word "cunt" and Misogyny

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    Is the use of the word “cunt” on bisexual.com derogatory towards women and misogynistic?

Is the use of the word “cunt” on bi.com attracting bisexual women or turning them off?

Does the use of the word "cunt" attract and arouse male bisexuals to bi.com?

Should the use of the word "cunt" be encouraged and rationlized as all PC bullshit concerns?

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.
    ...no...

Hmmm...a lot of misogynists certainly use the word. I know that there are places in the US where it is used "complimentarily", just as part of the local culture...so not every use is inherently misogynistic.

However, it is an ugly word to my ear, and its casual use in vulgar contexts gains no enthusiasm from me. "Pussy" I find sexy, though I know others find it offensive. But that's my taste...it's not a huge big deal. I simply won't post on threads where the word is being used in that way. I doubt it's attracting or arousing many women on this site...I don't know what it's doing to the men. It's possible that it's driving or keeping some away...but that strikes me as a bit of an extreme reaction...you'd have to be pretty sensitive to have that word keep you away from a place you might otherwise like to be. On the other hand, people's use of the word does communicate something of their personality to me. So to some extent, I could believe that some women may simply decide from the prevalence of the word that this *isn't* a place they might otherwise like to be.

Now using the word (or any other) to objectify women (i.e., calling a woman a cunt) I *do* find misogynistic. I've always found it linguistically interesting that use (by men or women) of "dick" or "prick" to describe males somehow is *not* meant to objectify them. I think those words simply have a richer meaning and symbol-set associated with them.

I think overall that if people *are* the sorts to prefer that word over others, then I might prefer that they use it, rather than pretending to have sensibilities they don't actually have. I won't get close to them...and perhaps that's their loss; and perhaps it's mine. Just like if women see it and stay away, perhaps that's their loss and perhaps it's ours (I imagine in both cases it very much depends on the person, and there is some win and some loss).

But if a person *is* a misogynist dickhead, I'd prefer to see that up-front, rather than have them skillfully curb their language and make me realize it through extended contact.
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

Quote Originally Posted by charles-smythe View Post
    ...no...
    Agreed, it's not misogyny...despite how an ultra-PC Canadian who does not live in reality or understand how language works, and someone else from flyover country in the midwest want to claim it is.

As with most four letter words, it can be sexy, it can me an insult. Honestly, I liken the word to the male equivalent of cock... and would prefer it's use as the same.
    "I want to suck your cock" and " I wand to lick your cunt" -- all the same to me form a words perspective, the noun I want to orally play with

As for calling someone an cock, prick, cunt, or ass... Those are all insults, and typically bring any civil conversation to an end.

Tenni, I doubt is is driving anyone here away from this site, there are much more severe problems of late with the site. I also doubt the use of the word is bringing anyone new to the site.

Annika, I get you don't like the word. My wife is the same way - she takes it as an afront in any manner. I am thankful that your responded, it is good to see a female perspective, especially when some of the original questions were targeted at the female position. I further read your profile, and I love the FAQ/FGA's. Sorry you don't want to meet, you sound like a lot of fun. I like your wit!

…to me the word is so ‘50s’…& to me a ‘cunt’ is a disagreeable person that has a ‘pussy’ between her legs…

"despite how an ultra-PC Canadian who does not live in reality or understand how language works, and someone else from flyover country in the midwest want to claim it is."

violation of rule 2
    Be polite. Flame the idea if you feel you must, but not the person.
    Deal with the issue not a country of a poster's origin.

"despite how an ultra-PC Canadian who does not live in reality or understand how language works, and someone else from flyover country in the midwest want to claim it is."

violation of rule 2
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody's "flaming you" even though you are the big flaming queen, and professional victim on this site tenni. It's not flaming anyone to point out something factual about them...like that they're Canadian, or are ultra-PC and have let this cloud their judgement and don't look at the facts or live in reality because of being so politically correct.

violation of rule 2
    Fly-over country...gee I wonder who he meant..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Fly-over country...gee I wonder who he meant..
    It's not necessarily you.

Quote Originally Posted by charles-smythe View Post
    …to me the word is so ‘50s’…& to me a ‘cunt’ is a disagreeable person that has a ‘pussy’ between her legs…
    Charles, I agree with you. I like pussy or if there is hair down there I like muff. For men, I use cock or dick. Penis is too scientific a term to stir up passion.
    JEM

Quote Originally Posted by CurEUs_Male View Post
    Annika, I get you don't like the word. My wife is the same way - she takes it as an afront in any manner. I am thankful that your responded, it is good to see a female perspective, especially when some of the original questions were targeted at the female position. I further read your profile, and I love the FAQ/FGA's. Sorry you don't want to meet, you sound like a lot of fun. I like your wit!
    I don't like it, but I'm also not militant about it. The important difference for me is between someone else using the word, and someone implicitly asking me to buy into it.

If a man says something like, "I thought her cunt was beautiful," my reaction is "wow, does he not know that offends a lot of women?" But I'm ok, and generally would say nothing.
    If a woman says something like, "I love the way he eats my cunt," my reaction is "wow, it's not often you meet a woman who's ok with using that word." But again, I'm fine.

It's when a thread asks something like "Do you like getting your cunt licked?" that I have issues. And not with the question itself, or even the word-use. The problem is that if I respond to the question/poll, I am implicitly using the word to describe my own pussy...and I just won't do that. So I don't. I mean yeah, sure, when all manner of vulgarities are being thrown around, the site takes on a pallor I find less appealing than when there are interesting discussions taking place...questions with some real meat. But I can't get too bent over the use of this one word, unless it is being used in a specifically ugly way.

Anyway, ty for your comments. And I'd say we *have* met...I mean hey, we're talking to each other, right? And it's not like I've never met with anyone from online (or even from this site)...it's just not my mode, and isn't done at all casually.
    I hope my achievements in life shall be these: that I will have fought for what was right and fair, that I will have risked for that which mattered, that I will have given help to those who were in need...that I will have left the earth a better place for what I've done and who I've been. (C. Hoppe)

I suppose it's no different than the use of the word cock in a derogatory manner from a misandric individual.

misandry

[ miˈsandrē ]

NOUN

• dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men (i.e., the male sex):
      "her brand of feminism is just poorly disguised misandry"

------

Well, at least I understand the meaning of the words misogyny and misandry a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by jem_is_bi View Post
    Charles, I agree with you. I like pussy or if there is hair down there I like muff. For men, I use cock or dick. Penis is too scientific a term to stir up passion.
    …I couldn’t agree more…I prefer dick but cock is the more accepted term so I use it…cunt isn’t whats between a girls legs…it’s the hateful person that has a pussy between her legs…

Words certainly have different impacts on different people.

I'm still not comfortable with using, or hearing, FUCK, or MOTHERFUCKER, in general conversations. I don't like the word, cunt, either.........can't remember using in any conversation, even in anger. It sounds harsh and disrespectful to me, but I've heard both genders using those words with little thought about their meaning.

Words draw mental pictures for me...some are pleasant, some give me a feeling of disgust, or indicate disrespect. But, I know the users don't usually mean them that way.

My father was born in Texas. He was raised in harsh conditions of the depression, around hard folks, who were generally good, hardworking, but more often than not, rough-talking individualists. My mother was born and raised in an atmosphere of manners and politeness.

I remember as a child, hearing her admonish my dad for using the word, "SUMBITCH"!

His reply was, "Well, Honey, in Texas, "sumbitch" is a term of endearment..........like; 'Hey, Howard, you old sumbitch, how are you doin'?' !"

With more than a little disgust in her voice, she returned, "Bob, you're no longer in Texas...if you remember, you moved to Florida in 1920!"

Dad was always a Texan, though!
    Last edited by Realist; May 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    I'm still not comfortable with using, or hearing, FUCK, or MOTHERFUCKER, in general conversations. I don't like the word, cunt, either.........can't remember using in any conversation, even in anger. It sounds harsh and disrespectful to me, but I've heard both genders using those words with little thought about their meaning.
    Oops, surely I've used the F word in our conversations at some point... I'm so sorry!!

I had always considered "cunt" to be, at the least, crude, if not degrading. The word worked when a female driver cut me off, as I would use "ass hole" for a man.
    Then I was dating a woman who used the word regularly to refer to her pussy. One day she said "I want you to fuck my cunt." At first shocked, I got used to it; but I never used it myself to refer to her pussy.

The point is that "cunt" is a word and by itself is just a string of letters. It is context and delivery that defines whether a word is derogatory.

I loathe the word under discussion.. I have never used it in my life and never shall. Yes, its use by some people is misogynistic, but not all.. context as they say, is all... and intent. Many words can be and are used in a misogynistic manner... "bitch" is another... get called that 2... was called it recently on site as it happens but dont think misogynistically.. think I just got on his tits during a wee argument.. my equivalent word to a guy who got on mine in the same way wud prob b "bastard". Not cos I think a person is 1, but cos he got on me tits... wud nev use that word 2 a woman... the word "cow" rolls of me lips sometimes cos I love a woman.... bit less tho not much wen they get on me tits.... often, it is m8 and tit get onner in same body!

How human beings use language often betrays their worst prejudices... prejudices they would deny of course, but they r there all the same.

If I am honest, I dont like much the word "pussy", but do on occasion use it, although most often I drop the y which by doing so the word miraculously is transformed in2 1 of me faves. Pussy and puss too can be used misogynistically, and some people do... Often I use the word "fanny" when discussing puss.... gud old Brit word and nowt 2 do wiv arse as many of our American cousins seem 2 think.... accusing a guy of being a right fanny can be misandrist, but more often and more likely, we are telling him he is a dithering ninny....

Being Scots I am often called "hen"... the equivalent of calling a guy "cock"... usually both terms are terms of affection but both can be and are used when really slagging a person, not so much because we h8 them as individuals or because of their gender but because we r angry wiv something they have done or sed.. but like many words it doesn't take much of an imagination to turn them into words of contempt and h8..

Like ne1 I can get worked up wen some misogynist and/or arsehole says summat unpleasant and yes I sometimes do go overboard in response, but mostly I let their crap wash over me an try and react, if I react at all, wiv some humour and or some words wich show me as better than some 1 who only h8s and has little else to offer humanity. How successful I am in that is for others to judge.

The C word is the only word in the language wich really raises me hackles, even wen sed as a descriptor in place of vagina, pussy, puss or fanny. I kno wen the word is sed in a misogynistic way, or when a person's use of it betrays his misogyny.... some women use it in such a way as to betray their own misandry or even as seems 2 b becoming more frequent, their own misogyny. So it is not only men loathing women and treating them contemptuously who employ the word... the loathing some women have for men and somrtimes women is revealed by their use of the word also... and occasionally contempt for their own gender.. women too can suffer from a bad dose of misogyny.. just as some men can from misandry...

Ne1 wants 2 act and speak like a bigoted dimwit on site, that is their affair.. fine wiv me.. no skin off my nose... tho I do wish they wud stop acting so childishly and realise the harm they do to their own kind and the cause which they claim to espouse.
    Last edited by darkeyes; May 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Words certainly have different impacts on different people.

Words draw mental pictures for me...some are pleasant, some give me a feeling of disgust, or indicate disrespect. But, I know the users don't usually mean them that way.

My father was born in Texas. He was raised in harsh conditions of the depression, around hard folks, who were generally good, hardworking, but more often than not, rough-talking individualists. My mother was born and raised in an atmosphere of manners and politeness.

I remember as a child, hearing her admonish my dad for using the word, "SUMBITCH"!

His reply was, "Well, Honey, in Texas, "sumbitch" is a term of endearment..........like; 'Hey, Howard, you old sumbitch, how are you doin'?' !"

With more than a little disgust in her voice, she returned, "Bob, you're no longer in Texas...if you remember, you moved to Florida in 1920!"

Dad was always a Texan, though!
    …your dad was right & sumbitch is still something you call a friend…

I've always been annoyed one word describing an object can be clean and another one filthy, nasty or objectionable. Geez, words are words...

But I've also always tried to be considerate of others' feelings and sensitivities. In the case of 'cunt', I'm aware that it's one of the more inflammatory terms, especially among women,so I simply don't use it, period.

And I find it ridiculous that it's acceptable when used by one 'class' of persons, but absolutely verboten and degrading by anyone outside that class. It's 'hate speech' if I say it, but a term of endearment if you use it? Gimme a break...

Yes Silky, words are words.

Words may be used in variety of ways. Words have power to communicate your intent. Words may be used as weapons to try to injure or degrade. I agree with posters who state that it depends how you use them and what your intent is. I think that the word cunt and the word cock by their nature of sound hard crude words while pussy and dick have less negative power.

Without directly addressing mysogny, several women have posted that the do not basically like the word cunt. I suspect most women find the word cunt mysogenistic. When a man uses this word he should understand that he is more than not offending and degrading women.

I think that the word cunt and the word cock by their nature of sound hard crude words while pussy and dick have less negative power.

When a man uses this word he should understand that he is more [often] than not offending and degrading women.
    Your last sentence, I agree with completely, and I have posted that same sentiment before.

But oh, words, words, words! Can't live with 'em; can't live without 'em. Personally, I find cock and pussy to be on par with one another, and "dick" is the one I find more offensive, on the order of "twat". To me both words signify a bit of nothing important, but in a slightly nasty way. They are two other words I won't use, but don't condemn others for using.

Cock and pussy, on the other hand, are both animals that convey positive traits, while admitting a downside. A cock is strong and confident, if sometimes over-posturing or overbearing; a pussy is sleek and lovely when she wants to be, and is independent-minded...if a bit temperamental or skittish. I've never heard of a man being called a cock or woman being called a pussy (although I find it offensive when men are called pussies...that's just way wrong, lol).

Tenni, to "directly address misogyny", I have to say that it is not words, but people who are misogynist. Just as the word "murder" or "gun" is not anti-human, I don't believe words can be misogynistic. But people can be hurt by words, and words can be used to facilitate a *person's* misogyny. And yes, when you post words that you know a group of people are offended by, I think you need to realize that you're being offensive...to ignore that is to be either in denial or genuinely insensitive.

There is something important missing in this thread, and that is a little bit of the history of the English language, the most successful language on our planet, with more literature and more good literature than any other language, and this is often attributed to its ability to include words from other languages. I adore my native tongue, and believe it has greater powers of expression, meaning, nuance, precision, concision, and (of course) has more idioms and lends itself to puns and other delights beyond any other language. English has its origins in Anglo-Saxon and the Teutonic branch of languages, as distinct from what are called the Romance languages, those languages descended from the language of the Romans: principally French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian.

However, English was not the official language of England after 1066 when William the Conqueror, who was from Normandy, which is to say France, invaded and conquered England. French became the language of the courts of law and the court of the King. It was the language used by educated people and by lawyers and judges. The Magna Carta, written in 1215, was written in Latin and translated into French, but not into English, not into Anglo-Saxon. The nobility and all the upper crust spoke French, and only the poor uneducated conquered people of the region spoke English, and virtually nothing at all was written in English until approximately 1350 when Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales, which was in part a vulgar sort of poem and written in a vulgar language, according to the snobbery of the day.

In English, cunt is the word denoting the female genitalia, and vagina is the French (Romance - Latinate) equivalent. Cunt is a noun. It has a clear denotative meaning. It is a perfectly good word. However, it has a bad connotation, and not for any better reason than that the upper class, the ruling class, spoke French and considered anything in English to be vulgar, a thousand years ago.

Like all members of the underclass, speakers of English were prosecuted more often and punished more severely under law than their French speaking betters. For this reason our laws are sprinkled with phrases giving French and Anglo-Saxon equivalents so the poor dirty ill-spoken underclass could understand the gravity of the charges against them. A statute I had occasion to read in earnest lays a duty on the citizens of my state to be careful (Anglo-Saxon) and cautious (Latinate). I heard an interviewee on NPR recently who was an officer in a not for profit corporation who said that she "worked together (Anglo-Saxon), collaboratively (Latinate)" with other non profit organizations. The thousand year old snobbery is still alive today. This despite the enormous success of English, despite the utter failure of French to become the language of England.

There is an aspect to the matter that has to do with the tendency of unlettered people to use words solely for their connotations, often without even the slightest attention to the plain meaning of the word. Once upon a time the word 'gay' meant something like happy or joyful.

I heard a man complaining about his middle aged middle son (the third of five children) who borrowed his boat and did not return it. It was near a holiday and the man wanted his boat back, and bitched about his son, calling him a bastard and a mother fucker before he calmed himself. To him, these words had NO DENOTATIVE MEANING. They were the merest expression of the intensity of his unhappiness. I am willing to bet Dad and Mom were married to each other when the son was conceived, and I am also willing to bet the son never had sex with his mother.

Was it poor taste to speak of the son in this manner? Yes, of course it was.

The woman who tells her lover that she wants his prick in her cunt is using perfectly good language with a clear meaning and in a frank and arousing way. And in plain English.

I do not object to this usage. But when the word is used to convey the intensity of distaste for a person, then I too object to that usage. It is the usage of the ignorant, unable to express the meaning of his or her disaffection. I can object to the ignorance and the disaffection, but I cannot ennoble myself by adopting a long forgotten snobbery.

Quote Originally Posted by showmeguy View Post
    There is something important missing in this thread, and that is a little bit of the history of the English language, the most successful language on our planet, with more literature and more good literature than any other language, and this is often attributed to its ability to include words from other languages. I adore my native tongue, and believe it has greater powers of expression, meaning, nuance, precision, concision, and (of course) has more idioms and lends itself to puns and other delights beyond any other language. English has its origins in Anglo-Saxon and the Teutonic branch of languages, as distinct from what are called the Romance languages, those languages descended from the language of the Romans: principally French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian.

However, English was not the official language of England after 1066 when William the Conqueror, who was from Normandy, which is to say France, invaded and conquered England. French became the language of the courts of law and the court of the King. It was the language used by educated people and by lawyers and judges. The Magna Carta, written in 1215, was written in Latin and translated into French, but not into English, not into Anglo-Saxon. The nobility and all the upper crust spoke French, and only the poor uneducated conquered people of the region spoke English, and virtually nothing at all was written in English until approximately 1350 when Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales, which was in part a vulgar sort of poem and written in a vulgar language, according to the snobbery of the day.

In English, cunt is the word denoting the female genitalia, and vagina is the French (Romance - Latinate) equivalent. Cunt is a noun. It has a clear denotative meaning. It is a perfectly good word. However, it has a bad connotation, and not for any better reason than that the upper class, the ruling class, spoke French and considered anything in English to be vulgar, a thousand years ago.

Like all members of the underclass, speakers of English were prosecuted more often and punished more severely under law than their French speaking betters. For this reason our laws are sprinkled with phrases giving French and Anglo-Saxon equivalents so the poor dirty ill-spoken underclass could understand the gravity of the charges against them. A statute I had occasion to read in earnest lays a duty on the citizens of my state to be careful (Anglo-Saxon) and cautious (Latinate). I heard an interviewee on NPR recently who was an officer in a not for profit corporation who said that she "worked together (Anglo-Saxon), collaboratively (Latinate)" with other non profit organizations. The thousand year old snobbery is still alive today. This despite the enormous success of English, despite the utter failure of French to become the language of England.

There is an aspect to the matter that has to do with the tendency of unlettered people to use words solely for their connotations, often without even the slightest attention to the plain meaning of the word. Once upon a time the word 'gay' meant something like happy or joyful.

I heard a man complaining about his middle aged middle son (the third of five children) who borrowed his boat and did not return it. It was near a holiday and the man wanted his boat back, and bitched about his son, calling him a bastard and a mother fucker before he calmed himself. To him, these words had NO DENOTATIVE MEANING. They were the merest expression of the intensity of his unhappiness. I am willing to bet Dad and Mom were married to each other when the son was conceived, and I am also willing to bet the son never had sex with his mother.

The woman who tells her lover that she wants his prick in her cunt is using perfectly good language with a clear meaning and in a frank and arousing way. And in plain English.

I do not object to this usage. But when the word is used to convey the intensity of distaste for a person, then I too object to that usage. It is the usage of the ignorant, unable to express the meaning of his or her disaffection. I can object to the ignorance and the disaffection, but I cannot ennoble myself by adopting a long forgotten snobbery.
    …very interesting…thank you…

Just ask Elizabeth Hoffman, the ex University of Colorado President.She testified that the ‘C’ word was a term of endearment when she defended her school’s football team’s use of the word to refer to a female who was trying out for the kicking position years ago.Oh, and btw, she was later fired.

And about the words penis or cock?

A, self-proclaimed, womanizer decided to get married and found the most innocent virgin he could find to marry.

On the wedding night he decided to enlighten her, so he had her take off her top and asked her what she called her knockers.She answered, “breasts’.

He laughed and informed her they were tits and now his tits to enjoy.

He then took off her pants and panties and asked her what she called that.

“She timidly said, “vagina”.

He laughed and informed her that it was called a pussy and it was now his pussy to enjoy.

He then took off his own pants and underwear and asked her what she called that.

She looked down and answered, “penis”.

He, again, laughed and said it’s called a cock and it’s going to be her cock to enjoy.

She looked at him confused and answered, “I know what a cock is and that’s a penis”.
    I've worn a beret, a badge, and a suit and tie. Now I prefer wearing nothing!

Most men, at one time or another, have wished they could suck their own cocks.
    A real man, admits he'd like to suck other cocks

And this is what I love about Show!

THE CREATION OF A......VAGINA

Seven wise men with knowledge so fine
    Created a pussy to their design.

First was a butcher, smart with wit,
    Using a knife, he gave it a slit.

Second was a carpenter, strong and bold,
    With a hammer and chisel, he gave it a hole.

Third was a tailor, tall and thin,
    By using red velvet, he lined it within.

Fourth was a hunter, short and stout,
    With a piece of fox fur, he lined it without.

Fifth was a fisherman, nasty as hell,
    He threw in a fish and gave it a smell.

Sixth was a preacher whose name was McGee,
    He touched it and blessed it and said it could pee.

Last came a sailor, a dirty little runt,
    He sucked it and fucked it and called it a cunt.

Remind me why we haven't chatted in ages?

Quote Originally Posted by JayGrimm View Post
    THE CREATION OF A......VAGINA

Seven wise men with knowledge so fine
    Created a pussy to their design.

First was a butcher, smart with wit,
    Using a knife, he gave it a slit.

Second was a carpenter, strong and bold,
    With a hammer and chisel, he gave it a hole.

Third was a tailor, tall and thin,
    By using red velvet, he lined it within.

Fourth was a hunter, short and stout,
    With a piece of fox fur, he lined it without.

Fifth was a fisherman, nasty as hell,
    He threw in a fish and gave it a smell.

Sixth was a preacher whose name was McGee,
    He touched it and blessed it and said it could pee.

Last came a sailor, a dirty little runt,
    He sucked it and fucked it and called it a cunt.
    …LOL…I loved it…