Register
    ~Joe~

chat nolonger working

From time to time I pop on and look on the chat but it is never working now,
    does anyone know why?

Re: chat nolonger working

On another thread about this topic, it was reported that the chat provider for the site ceased to exist. I am not sure if that is true but it is a good explanation of why chat has gone away.
    JEM

~Joe~

Thank you.

Are you in the mood to chat?

I am in the mood to show off for someone right now if you're still online.

a

~Joe~

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscouple696969 View Post
    I am in the mood to show off for someone right now if you're still online.

a
    ok lo

Quote Originally Posted by jem_is_bi View Post
    On another thread about this topic, it was reported that the chat provider for the site ceased to exist. I am not sure if that is true but it is a good explanation of why chat has gone away.
    Mayb Jem... but surely the owner wud have sed summat? Wich leads us 2 the question.. just where is he? Why the silence? Not 2 much concern expressed as to where he is or what may have happened to him.. he may often take time replying 2 questions and dealing with probs.. but never quite this length of time about summat historically so important and fundamental 2 keeping the site going...
    Do not think so little of me as to grant me your tolerance. Allow me your acceptance and understanding of who and what I am with the love, respect and dignity with which I do you.

I guess chat is gone for good, which don't matter to me, never was many in it and never anyone within 50 miles of me!

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
    Mayb Jem... but surely the owner wud have sed summat? Wich leads us 2 the question.. just where is he? Why the silence? Not 2 much concern expressed as to where he is or what may have happened to him.. he may often take time replying 2 questions and dealing with probs.. but never quite this length of time about summat historically so important and fundamental 2 keeping the site going...
    Drew's silence is the more troubling problem and does not have a good explanation.
    JEM

I noticed that they are still accepting credit card payments but not providing the chat service advertised as an enticement to become a paid member. I wonder if those memberships are being given any type of credit?

ive taken to chatting on motherless.com to fulfill my desire to chat recently....pretty relaxed and varied room topics

..if I recall correctly the original chat was JAVA based - a lot of folks started removing JAVA after it couldn't be patched fast enough, so I'm not really sure exactly what I am looking at when I click the CHAT link. It looks like you need to be a paid member to use it.

again i can not go on the chat , it just wont load anything , when i go on the forum i see people listed in the chatrooms ? so is it me or ...?
    why would i not be able to go into the chat ?

i'm still not able to get into the chat

Chat was down for a couple or 3 months just recently, then reappeared just as suddenly as it had disappeared. It has gone down again and no one seems to know why or has any idea when if/when it will return. On the homepage on the list of members who are online, I see no members with the chat icon next to their handle. I suggest that hardcore private chatters create a Yahoo Messenger account using their bisexual.com handles or a new handle and post your handle here if you'd like to network with other members of this site. A few of us did this during the previous chat outage. I use my site name, cuttin2dachase, as my 'hoo handle as well so feel free to add me as a contact.

Quote Originally Posted by elian View Post
    ..if I recall correctly the original chat was JAVA based - a lot of folks started removing JAVA after it couldn't be patched fast enough, so I'm not really sure exactly what I am looking at when I click the CHAT link. It looks like you need to be a paid member to use it.
    The newer chat service used a flash client code base. The service was all hosted off this site. That meant the company hosting it for Drew would have likely had access to data archives, i.e. old chat logs. They could have retained these logs indefinitely(?), sold the logs, used the data in the logs for whatever purpose. I asked Drew what he knew of their data retention policies, he admitted to not knowing and that he would check and get back in touch.

*hears tumbleweeds roll by*

That was ages ago I asked, so far no Drew getting back in touch. Of course, one may think his getting in touch if he disagreed with their policies, is dropping use of the chat client. Or, one may think he lost sponsorship for the chat, they disagreed with the content herein, so on etc.. There can be all variety of speculation, until Drew eventually expresses what has factually happened.

For myself chat working or not has not been an issue in using the site, or not. Find I have grown to be less socially inclined, more withdrawn and into living life as best able. That kind of diverts me away from the site over all, get kept busy with other chores, tasks, errands, neat stuff to do, "here hold my beer and watch this's". Currently gearing up to a moderate project, one you and I have discussed, dog kennel building. Go me, go!

I may also get into worm farming, no euphemisms expressed or implied here ( I do mean nightcrawlers, earth worms ). It seems one can harvest a highly beneficial organic compost material from them, castings. I may seize that as a micro-entrepreneurship, sell the compost to local/ish greenhouses or organic farming neighbors. Plus there's the obvious fishing bait too. Fish heads are good gardening material as well. *sits going "Ah, hm, hehe"*

Many may speculate upon what I may or may not get into. That's the crux though, it's mere speculation. Suffice it to say I'm living life & just not too bothered in using the site to great extent. I remain, probably going into lurk mode, talk with you on here and possibly a few others who are friends. Beyond that well, I'm sorry but life does that, draws folks off in different directions for all kinds of different reasons. A good reason I have too is basic situational awareness, what some may call paranoia. I don't like being open, vunerable, even here where it's alleged we're all safe and happily so.

It's clear enough to me any script kiddie with basics of Python, Perl, Javascript, could feasibly gobble up everything here for whatever reason/s, nefarious or not. That known, not too far a leap to assume all the Alphabet Soup guys aren't doing that explicitly. Simply because it may not be anything to hide does not imply it's all together kosher to present in the clear, either. And your own non-response to my outlining of something once, spoke volumes regarding data retention of the Alphabet Soup crew. What you didn't say, said it all. Understanding that capacity is out there provides incinitive to find some taller grass, even if I have to mow it later. *grin*

I'm a nobody, no intention to be a somebody, "just passing on through and enjoying my little ride", thanks. So I don't haunt the site. Not as I once did. No real need as it has lost its sense of engagement for me, and that was not only the chat. The whole site sits lumbering off into some void like a broken backed ox. I just dislike coming because it ambles on yet is a husk of what it once had been, a has been site. Sorry for the ethereal and poetic, prosey maybe, but it is what it is to me. Scribble in your own thoughts at the gong.

*whacks gong with big puffy ended hammer & wanders off into his own void*

Quote Originally Posted by void() View Post
    The newer chat service used a flash client code base. The service was all hosted off this site. That meant the company hosting it for Drew would have likely had access to data archives, i.e. old chat logs. They could have retained these logs indefinitely(?), sold the logs, used the data in the logs for whatever purpose. I asked Drew what he knew of their data retention policies, he admitted to not knowing and that he would check and get back in touch.

*hears tumbleweeds roll by*

That was ages ago I asked, so far no Drew getting back in touch. Of course, one may think his getting in touch if he disagreed with their policies, is dropping use of the chat client. Or, one may think he lost sponsorship for the chat, they disagreed with the content herein, so on etc.. There can be all variety of speculation, until Drew eventually expresses what has factually happened.

For myself chat working or not has not been an issue in using the site, or not. Find I have grown to be less socially inclined, more withdrawn and into living life as best able. That kind of diverts me away from the site over all, get kept busy with other chores, tasks, errands, neat stuff to do, "here hold my beer and watch this's". Currently gearing up to a moderate project, one you and I have discussed, dog kennel building. Go me, go!

I may also get into worm farming, no euphemisms expressed or implied here ( I do mean nightcrawlers, earth worms ). It seems one can harvest a highly beneficial organic compost material from them, castings. I may seize that as a micro-entrepreneurship, sell the compost to local/ish greenhouses or organic farming neighbors. Plus there's the obvious fishing bait too. Fish heads are good gardening material as well. *sits going "Ah, hm, hehe"*

Many may speculate upon what I may or may not get into. That's the crux though, it's mere speculation. Suffice it to say I'm living life & just not too bothered in using the site to great extent. I remain, probably going into lurk mode, talk with you on here and possibly a few others who are friends. Beyond that well, I'm sorry but life does that, draws folks off in different directions for all kinds of different reasons. A good reason I have too is basic situational awareness, what some may call paranoia. I don't like being open, vunerable, even here where it's alleged we're all safe and happily so.

It's clear enough to me any script kiddie with basics of Python, Perl, Javascript, could feasibly gobble up everything here for whatever reason/s, nefarious or not. That known, not too far a leap to assume all the Alphabet Soup guys aren't doing that explicitly. Simply because it may not be anything to hide does not imply it's all together kosher to present in the clear, either. And your own non-response to my outlining of something once, spoke volumes regarding data retention of the Alphabet Soup crew. What you didn't say, said it all. Understanding that capacity is out there provides incinitive to find some taller grass, even if I have to mow it later. *grin*

I'm a nobody, no intention to be a somebody, "just passing on through and enjoying my little ride", thanks. So I don't haunt the site. Not as I once did. No real need as it has lost its sense of engagement for me, and that was not only the chat. The whole site sits lumbering off into some void like a broken backed ox. I just dislike coming because it ambles on yet is a husk of what it once had been, a has been site. Sorry for the ethereal and poetic, prosey maybe, but it is what it is to me. Scribble in your own thoughts at the gong.

*whacks gong with big puffy ended hammer & wanders off into his own void*
    Wow!! The troubles of this site have created a new worm farmer. Now I definitely feel sad.
    JEM

Quote Originally Posted by jem_is_bi View Post
    Wow!! The troubles of this site have created a new worm farmer. Now I definitely feel sad.
    *chuckles*

No need for sadness. As of yet, I am not a worm farmer. It is something I may consider though. Worm farming would help our family here in providing an organic soil supplement, or fertilizer. The worm farming could also provide some nominal financial income, selling of worms to fishers, fertilizer in the form of castings & composted worm soil. Worms also benefit the environment and well, I just may accidently on purpose loose some worms at times. All these factors noted, seems obvious to me that happiness would apply instead of sadness, but there again I'm not an authority.

*grins*

And no actually, the creation of a potential worm farmer has not been caused by troubles on this or any site really. Farming worms has been something I have given consideration upon for quite a while, along with farming edible & legal mushrooms, carrots, beans, corns, wheats, oats, rices, grapes, herbs. Also thought of farming dogs, cats. People are bound to think, at least the people I know are. People are inclined to survive too and if it means growing, raising your own food or means to attain it, then well yes they're keen to think about various things.

Suggesting a web site causes one to think is kind of putting chickens before eggs, or carts before horses, at least as far as my experience suggests. Guess your mileage could vary. *shrug* Oh well, it happens.

Is there another site where bi guys/girls can chat that has more going on than this one?