Register

There are little to no bisexual stereotypes.

I've been interested in this subject for a little while, looking at gay men you can see that the stereotypes are somewhat true, not all true but I definitely see a connection between stereotypes and reality, as for bisexuals we are stereotyped as being more horny, speaking for myself and what I've seen on this forum I would say yes we are, it's also known that bisexual men can have hypermasculinity.

Sex Drive - Several studies comparing bisexuals with hetero- or homosexuals have indicated that bisexuals have higher rates of sexual activity, fantasy or erotic interest. Van Wyk and Geist (1984) found that male and female bisexuals had more sexual fantasy than heterosexuals. Dixon (1985) found that bisexual men had more sexual activities with women than did heterosexual men. Bisexual men masturbated more but had fewer happy marriages than heterosexuals. Bressler and Lavender (1986) found that bisexual women had more orgasms per week and they described them as stronger than those of hetero- or homosexual women. They also found that marriages with a bisexual female were happier than heterosexual unions, observed less instance of hidden infidelity, and ended in divorce less frequently. Goode and Haber (1977) found bisexual women to be sexually mature earlier, masturbate and enjoy masturbation more and to be more experienced in different types of heterosexual contact.[55]

HyperMasculinization - Hypermasculinization of men has been a central theme in sexual orientation research. There are several studies suggesting that bisexuals have a high degree of masculinization. LaTorre and Wendenberg (1983) found differing personality characteristics for bisexual, heterosexual and homosexual women. Bisexuals were found to have fewer personal insecurities than heterosexuals and homosexuals. This finding defined bisexuals as self-assured and less likely to suffer from mental instabilities. The confidence of a secure identity consistently translated to more masculinity than other subjects. This study did not explore societal norms, prejudices, or the feminization of homosexual males.[55]

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality

I completely agree with this, I would definitely I am more manly and masculine than most, i'm speaking for myself though, i haven't met much bisexuals, I did know one and he was masculine + very horny.

For gay men, there are much more stereotypes, i would definitely say that most have feminine traits, I knew a guy that typed like a girl and also they kind of had this gay look, if you look at Edward Snowden, Derren Brown and Elton John you'll know what I mean, Edward isn't gay but gay men do tend to look like that. All the gay guys I've met have had an interest in either Ballet, Opera, Choir (definitely), horse riding, not all had an interest in all four but each one had an interest in one of those. Maybe this sounds stupid but I kind of think they have smaller eyes whereas bisexuals have bigger eyes, they are usually very clean, I've met quite a few with very clean teeth. Next to none are like queens or extremely feminine like the media portrays them but they do have slight feminine traits, you won't pick them up immediately usually but once getting to know them a bit you'll see they have feminine things about them.

Again goes Lesbians, not all lesbians are extremely masculine but I've noticed from experience that there's a connection with aggresiveness, masculinity and lesbians, I remember talking to lesbians about this, I was wording what I was saying in a non offensive way and they went mad, going on a chatroom and seeing lesbians next to each other most of the time they have short hair and look butch, the stereotypes are true but aren't always correct. There's definitely a connection.

I don't think there's really any connection with bisexuality and stereotypes except the men are more masculine and horny, I've known bisexual men, they do seem quite horny compared to the average guy, I would say that about myself too. Maybe they look a bit more masculine too but it's harder to tell whether a guy is bisexual than if a guy is gay, after observing it'll be hard to tell a bisexual but from observing you can pick up that a guy is gay, not instantly but usually there's something to hint that they are gay, I haven't noticed any gay men that absolutely loved shopping like bruno but many liked choir. Gay men can be very sensitive and emotional too.

Agree? I'd rather ask this here than the gay forums because they always get worked up over stereotypes, I'm not bothered at all...

Re: There are little to no bisexual stereotypes.

Yes there are bisexual stereotypes, that bisexual men or women sometimes cheat on their spouse/partner, don't come out, and the whole NSA sex while not wanting a partnership/romance with sommeone of the same gender stereotype.

No not all bisexual men and women fall into these stereotypes but some do.

Quote Originally Posted by pole_smoker View Post
    Yes there are bisexual stereotypes, that bisexual men or women sometimes cheat on their spouse/partner, don't come out, and the whole NSA sex while not wanting a partnership/romance with sommeone of the same gender stereotype.

No not all bisexual men and women fall into these stereotypes but some do.
    Agreed not all bisexuals are promiscuous tramps, unethical louts. Yes, some are, not all though. I am not passing judgement, expressing only what is otherwise expressed by others. Honestly, think the adage "if the shoe fits, wear it" holds merit.

I find stereotyping is just a means to pigeon-hole people into nice neat little boxes. I do consider myself bisexual. I am attracted to men as well as women, but I don't fit what was written by the OP. I am not, by any stretch of the means, hyper-masculine. Hell, by their standard I am outright gay. If that is the case, why does my head yank around when I see a nicely rounded woman. Sorry ladies, not much into skin and bones. Yet, I am also attracted to men. I am also in touch with my feminine side. That is the side affect of having had a major breakdown and with the help of a psych, learning and accepting me for who I am, not what everyone else expects me to be. I know, don't kill the messenger, but I think those "studies" are a crock. There is no one size fits all. We are all individuals. We all walk different paths. Some may play to the stereotype to fit the mold, so to speak, but for most, they just live life and love whomever they are attracted to. Why do we always have to shoebox everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by void() View Post
    Agreed not all bisexuals are promiscuous tramps, unethical louts. Yes, some are, not all though. I am not passing judgement, expressing only what is otherwise expressed by others. Honestly, think the adage "if the shoe fits, wear it" holds merit.
    We all have labels for those who are not as wonderful as ourselves.
    JEM

Bearlover, thanks for the post. Insomnia tonight. Nice to see something interesting to entertain myself with.

I'd like to comment on the HyperMasculinization issue. A few years ago I was reading an article about physical traits used to identify if a person may be gay. The part of the discussion that got my attention was finger length. If you look at a man's hand and the index finger is longer than the ring finger, there is a good chance, this man is gay. The cause of this was explained like this: The hand has 2 growth plates. The plate containing the ring finger and pinky is affected by the amount of testosterone the male is producing. A high level of testosterone will have the effect of a longer ring finger. Estrogen levels affect the other plate, and the index finger. Look around. I have found that guys that are kinda 'prancy' or whatever, tend to have long index fingers.

When I read this, I obviously looked at my hand, prepared for the worse. I had never noticed it before, but my ring finger is about a half inch longer than my index finger. This make sense. I am hypersexual and HyperMasculine. My voice is so deep I can't be understood on a cell phone. My morning voice can only be heard by whales. Sex for me is non-gender. Pussy or cock, I look at both with the same desire. I think about sex constantly. Fortunately, I don't have the ability to fall in love with a man so living a straight life is easy.

I don't know if that article had an ounce of truth, nor can I fully trust my memory of what I read. Could be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jem_is_bi View Post
    We all have labels for those who are not as wonderful as ourselves.
    Or conversely, are far better than we could hope to be.

Quote Originally Posted by void() View Post
    Or conversely, are far better than we could hope to be.
    True, but we use a similar set of negative labels.
    JEM

Stereotypes of Bisexuals, no. However I've read many a different interpretation as to what bisexual means. Most people associate male to male contact as gay. They incorrectly think that just because you have any form of sex with another person of the same gender, you only like that gender.
    They couldn't be more wrong.
    Bisexuality means that you ENJOY sex, regardless of gender. Period. You could be attracted to either gender. You could only be attracted to one gender, male or female. It doesn't matter. Bisexual means you have sex with both sexes. Gay means you are attracted to the same sex, and want to have a relationship with the same sex.
    That being said, there is no specific way a person should feel or act when it comes to sex, because its just that, SEX! Every animal out there has sex without thought as to labels. We should do the same.

Post Re: There are little to no bisexual stereotypes.

I find stereotypes usually apply to minorities.
    Since most people are Bisexual, those things that would otherwise be considered stereotypes are the norm.

- Nature loves it's Bell Curves -

Quote Originally Posted by aLABiM75 & StrF51 View Post
    I find stereotypes usually apply to minorities.
    Since most people are Bisexual, those things that would otherwise be considered stereotypes are the norm.

Most people are not bisexual. If this were remotely true there would be no need for gay/lesbian, and bisexual people to get rights like same gender marriage, or how in some states and countries you can still be fired from your job if you are not heterosexual, and there would be no reason at all to come out to anyone, and it's not like this.

No sexuality researcher, including Kinsey claimed or found that most people are bisexual, or are bisexual but not out about their sexuality.

Most people are not bisexual. If this were remotely true there would be no need for gay/lesbian, and bisexual people to get rights like same gender marriage, or how in some states and countries you can still be fired from your job if you are not heterosexual, and there would be no reason at all to come out to anyone, and it's not like this.

No sexuality researcher, including Kinsey claimed or found that most people are bisexual, or are bisexual but not out about their sexuality.
    That is no indication that the majority are heterosexual. All of that only shows how it's much easier it is to be (or pretend to be) heterosexual.
    These social standards were not diplomatically elected by a populace that were free to express their sexuality. They were NOT formed by a unanimously heterosexual committee.
    What is happening with same sex marriage and 'gay' rights, is an emergence of disclosure from withing 'heterosexual society'. It's a wake-up call to all that society may be hetero-biased, but is def NOT heterosexual as a whole.

Here's a quote from a study of sexuality in prisons:
    Official prison records now identify 19% of inmates as homosexual. Yet, surveys of prison staff would suggest that, “…between 30 and 70% of inmates have affairs while in prison” (Ward, Kassebaum 166). Therefore, sex behind bars often involves otherwise heterosexual prisoners, who practice homosexual acts. So, are these inmates truly straight? Or, are they bisexual?
    http://mkopas.net/courses/soc287/201...xual-fluidity/

It would be lovely to get full detailed accounts of that study (inc CCTV footage.), to get a better idea of how common fluidity is etc.
    "You're like my yo-yo, that glowed in the dark. What made it special, made it dangerous. So I bury it, and forget.":Kate Bush

^
    It's prison. The majority of sex acts there done both by inmates, and guards are not going to be consensual, or healthy relationships; but are non-consensual, rape, or based on somebody abusing power, or having power over whoever they're having sex with.

Nope, no stereotypes. People had no idea I went both ways, until I told them. They thought I was straight.

Still a lot of prejudice and ignorance, like guys that I've dated saying crazy stuff.

Oh contraire! Studies contradict on the contrary contraricting like fuck in all contrariness and don't even think you're right ---->

http://www.justdetention.org/en/acad...cles/Saum.aspx
    Abstract: Homosexual rape is generally perceived as a common occurrence in male prisons. On the contrary, studies show that inmate involvement in sexual acts within the confines of prisons varies greatly. Nevertheless, sexual contact, although prohibited, still occurs in prisons. Sexual activity is also most consensual. Ironically, even prisoners subscribe to the myth of pervasive sex in correctional institutions. The results of a survey of prisoners' sexual activity in a Delaware prison are analyzed.
    So don't bother smuggling your balaclava and leather gloves into prison. Some lippy and lube will do.
    "You're like my yo-yo, that glowed in the dark. What made it special, made it dangerous. So I bury it, and forget.":Kate Bush

^
    You can find a study that argues pretty much any perspective, or bias on the internet.

Keep in mind that the majority of men who are raped or sexually assaulted in prison don't always report it.

Meet people who have been in prisons, they'll tell you otherwise that prison rape among men is very common, and not a myth.

When men are in a prison together whenever the majority of them have sex it's not consensual, or based on a healthy "relationship" but it's rape, and an abuse of power. Yes even the guards in prisons have raped, or sexually assaulted prisoners. This also happens in countries besides the United States.

^
    You can find a study that argues pretty much any perspective, or bias on the internet.

Keep in mind that the majority of men who are raped or sexually assaulted in prison don't always report it.

Meet people who have been in prisons, they'll tell you otherwise that prison rape among men is very common, and not a myth.

When men are in a prison together whenever the majority of them have sex it's not consensual, or based on a healthy "relationship" but it's rape, and an abuse of power. Yes even the guards in prisons have raped, or sexually assaulted prisoners. This also happens in countries besides the United States.
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize that you know more ex-cons than what took part in surveys involving several whole prison fulls.
    Fekinell, you live in a pretty rough neighborhood there. Does Al C'pone deliver your mail?lol

Yes, I can well believe that most rapes are not reported in prison. But I doubt that they do a show of hands every morning to see how many had consensual sex either. That would have made it way easier for your friends to judge which was the majority.
    I wonder how many have told you that they had consensual sex there? I wonder how many practicing bi's on this site would tell you about their m-m sex sessions in person?

I'm told that in a certain Welsh prison (Dirty Harry cleans my windows), consensual sex is very popular. That there is no shortage of men volunteering themselves for consensual sex at any time possible.
    I'm sure they'd get bored hanging around if nobody took their offers day after day, and give up. But if some keep them busy, they don't seem to get out of prison telling everybody about it in 'hetero-land'.

Same thing happens with bi males outside of prison: M-m sex is done with discretion and rarely spoken of in person outside of a m-m sex environment.
    It's a secret.

^
    Consider the source. If you're friends with a gay or bi ex-con of course he'll claim that in prisons in the UK that sex is all consensual, etc.

There's no need to tell people on the outside of a prison all about how they had sex or were raped by men since everyone knows that prison rape between men does happen, and is common.

Yes I do know some ex-cons both women and men.

Why are lots of bi men closeted where you live? It's not like that here as you have lots of bisexual men like myself who are out either to family and friends, or to mostly everyone since if you did an internet search you'd easily find this out about them. Guys who are closeted who think that they're being "discreet" rarely are, and many times they're more "out" than a camp queen is, or their sexuality and how they're struggling with it slips out when they least expect it.

Mr lovely Pole_smoker, the ONLY thing about bisexual m-m sex in & out of prison you can be sure to be most common is 'discretion'. Which means that it's not made public knowledge if can be helped.
    If it were as socially acceptable as m-f sex, it would be a VERY different story.

I know lots of bi males, but none tell their non-gay/bi friends about it. THAT is the most stereotypical thing about bisexual males IMO. The seemingly ingrained philosophy of ''It's nobodies business!'', is very strong, and if bisexuality were a religion, that would be the title of the most popular psalm.

How you could be on a bi site and not get the gist of that, I don't know. Why you think that prisoners that consider themselves 'hetero' would not be in the front row of the choir singing that on the tops of their voices after some m-m consensual fun, I don't know either.
    Tis the way.

In the United States when someone goes to prison if they're a man, or going to a certain prison like a large one, it's sort of expected that they'll get raped, or have guys after them to rape them.

I know of closet cases and DL (down low) types like that. I just don't really have much to do with them. They love to flirt with me at times when I'm in public places; but then when it comes down to actually having sex, or just talking about being bisexual they wuss out and get the way you described.

It's all rather frustrating, so...that's why I avoid closeted and DL types. It doesn't matter if they're bi or gay. I have dated some gay men who had the mentality you wrote about with the "It's nobody's business!" but some of them loved to kiss me in public, or wanted to have sex in public/semi-public places.

I have a gay male friend who told me how he did date a gay man who is on the DL, and he said it was not worth it, and I agree.

The bi's I know are very confidant and comfy with their sexuality. But not comfy with it being known, or being known for it.
    They say that nobody would understand them, and that they would be treated differently by non-bi's.
    That's true on both counts.

I was at the clinic yesterday for my reg STD checkup. The new nurse noticed that I ticked the 'Bi' box on my file. THAT was enuf to launch a professional medic who's 'up to speed' on sexual practices, into a bit of bi-bashing:
    She asked if I was both bisexual & homosexual, or just homosexual.

If I had ticked the 'Homo' box, there would be no questioning. She would not have had the notion that a man in his late 40's who's very sexually active and has no qualms about discussing it openly.......may not know what his sexuality is, and could have probs ticking the right fekin box in a multiple choice questionnaire.

That was a nurse in a clinic. She thought 'Bi' was a mistake and I was retarded.lol That is what many bi's have to deal with if 'coming out'. So it's pretty understandable why many don't take that option.
    It makes judging the number of bi's a headache, but knowing how important discretion is for most. does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    The bi's I know are very confidant and comfy with their sexuality. But not comfy with it being known, or being known for it.
    They say that nobody would understand them, and that they would be treated differently by non-bi's.
    That's true on both counts.

I was at the clinic yesterday for my reg STD checkup. The new nurse noticed that I ticked the 'Bi' box on my file. THAT was enuf to launch a professional medic who's 'up to speed' on sexual practices, into a bit of bi-bashing:
    She asked if I was both bisexual & homosexual, or just homosexual.

If I had ticked the 'Homo' box, there would be no questioning. She would not have had the notion that a man in his late 40's who's very sexually active and has no qualms about discussing it openly.......may not know what his sexuality is, and could have probs ticking the right fekin box in a multiple choice questionnaire.

That was a nurse in a clinic. She thought 'Bi' was a mistake and I was retarded.lol That is what many bi's have to deal with if 'coming out'. So it's pretty understandable why many don't take that option.
    It makes judging the number of bi's a headache, but knowing how important discretion is for most. does help.
    That's very odd that in the UK your medical professionals are like this.

I've seen doctors and other medical professionals through the decades, and came out to them as bisexual.

They have been completely supportive of me, and did understand bisexuality even if they were not bisexual and were heterosexual, or gay/lesbian.

The bisexual people I know here in the United States, both men and women are out to their family and friends, or pretty much everyone if they're on facebook or other sites.
    Last edited by pole_smoker; Oct 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM.

It's not very common for bi's to be open here, although bisexuality is VERY common IMO.
    I don't know of any male bi's that are 'out', that haven't been 'outed' accidentally due to being caught having m-m sex.

If this site is anything to go by, the USA has it's fair share of closeted bi males too.
    Due to the internet and smartphone apps, the rate of bi's taking the plunge to explore their sexuality, increases every year it seems.
    Both methods are a Godsend to discretion.YAY!

Most bisexual people don't create drama about ourselves and our orientation and thus there are no real stereotypes within the bi community. Many, but not all straight people do stereotype us all as homosexuals who just won't admit to it and only have opposite gender sex to keep up a straight appearance. Many, but not all homosexual people stereotype us all as desirable, but not playing on the same team as them and not being able to make up our minds to be the homosexuals they'd like us to be.

You will find answers at http://www.bi-sexualdating.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BearLover View Post
    I've been interested in this subject for a little while, looking at gay men you can see that the stereotypes are somewhat true, not all true but I definitely see a connection between stereotypes and reality, as for bisexuals we are stereotyped as being more horny, speaking for myself and what I've seen on this forum I would say yes we are, it's also known that bisexual men can have hypermasculinity.

Sex Drive - Several studies comparing bisexuals with hetero- or homosexuals have indicated that bisexuals have higher rates of sexual activity, fantasy or erotic interest. Van Wyk and Geist (1984) found that male and female bisexuals had more sexual fantasy than heterosexuals. Dixon (1985) found that bisexual men had more sexual activities with women than did heterosexual men. Bisexual men masturbated more but had fewer happy marriages than heterosexuals. Bressler and Lavender (1986) found that bisexual women had more orgasms per week and they described them as stronger than those of hetero- or homosexual women. They also found that marriages with a bisexual female were happier than heterosexual unions, observed less instance of hidden infidelity, and ended in divorce less frequently. Goode and Haber (1977) found bisexual women to be sexually mature earlier, masturbate and enjoy masturbation more and to be more experienced in different types of heterosexual contact.[55]

HyperMasculinization - Hypermasculinization of men has been a central theme in sexual orientation research. There are several studies suggesting that bisexuals have a high degree of masculinization. LaTorre and Wendenberg (1983) found differing personality characteristics for bisexual, heterosexual and homosexual women. Bisexuals were found to have fewer personal insecurities than heterosexuals and homosexuals. This finding defined bisexuals as self-assured and less likely to suffer from mental instabilities. The confidence of a secure identity consistently translated to more masculinity than other subjects. This study did not explore societal norms, prejudices, or the feminization of homosexual males.[55]

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality

I completely agree with this, I would definitely I am more manly and masculine than most, i'm speaking for myself though, i haven't met much bisexuals, I did know one and he was masculine + very horny.

For gay men, there are much more stereotypes, i would definitely say that most have feminine traits, I knew a guy that typed like a girl and also they kind of had this gay look, if you look at Edward Snowden, Derren Brown and Elton John you'll know what I mean, Edward isn't gay but gay men do tend to look like that. All the gay guys I've met have had an interest in either Ballet, Opera, Choir (definitely), horse riding, not all had an interest in all four but each one had an interest in one of those. Maybe this sounds stupid but I kind of think they have smaller eyes whereas bisexuals have bigger eyes, they are usually very clean, I've met quite a few with very clean teeth. Next to none are like queens or extremely feminine like the media portrays them but they do have slight feminine traits, you won't pick them up immediately usually but once getting to know them a bit you'll see they have feminine things about them.

Again goes Lesbians, not all lesbians are extremely masculine but I've noticed from experience that there's a connection with aggresiveness, masculinity and lesbians, I remember talking to lesbians about this, I was wording what I was saying in a non offensive way and they went mad, going on a chatroom and seeing lesbians next to each other most of the time they have short hair and look butch, the stereotypes are true but aren't always correct. There's definitely a connection.

I don't think there's really any connection with bisexuality and stereotypes except the men are more masculine and horny, I've known bisexual men, they do seem quite horny compared to the average guy, I would say that about myself too. Maybe they look a bit more masculine too but it's harder to tell whether a guy is bisexual than if a guy is gay, after observing it'll be hard to tell a bisexual but from observing you can pick up that a guy is gay, not instantly but usually there's something to hint that they are gay, I haven't noticed any gay men that absolutely loved shopping like bruno but many liked choir. Gay men can be very sensitive and emotional too.

Agree? I'd rather ask this here than the gay forums because they always get worked up over stereotypes, I'm not bothered at all...
    …I would say that the main stereotype would be that we’re queer & are in denial & want face/admit it…